Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really don’t get the tension as Liverpool would always beat them in Anfield even if it was a draw tonight. People are talking as if Liverpool were losing toinight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There's Fab out of the weekend, fuuuuu k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Great to get that goal but this could mean Fab is out of Sunday. Still down, hopefully he's ok.Hits to the back of the head can be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's always been bitter and angry towards Liverpool since they put a 1 year deal on the table for him - he took a few days to think about it, and when it came back to take it, it had been rescinded. Much like what happened with Ramos and Real last summer.

Can't blame him tbh, was really poor form from the club after everything he'd given. But it clearly colours his perspective on liverpool since.

City only win 1-0. Good for weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fabinho’s legs look very unsteady, not looking good at all for Sunday.

EDIT: He looks fine. Phew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Being able to start 5 or 6 bench players and another few on for subs during the game, given the sheer number of games in April, it was important to try to finish it tonight.

He has 5 days to get steady and he’s still on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

He is running onto the pitch no problem???

Did not know that, but I wouldn’t have thought there was any bitterness in his commentary. Goal aside, Pool have been **** in the 2nd half and he was right about Salah should’ve passed earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A bit of an over reation surely, he was laughing away a minute later.

Fab looks ok phew

Diaz the last few games looks lile the intensity is catching up with him amd he's struggling late on which is expected, He'll need a proper pre season for us to see his very very best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Thought that v Inter and it didn’t work out like that at all and ended up holding on at Anfield.

Ah gotcha, I'm watching BT's coverage, so I don't know how he is tonight. In general he does tend to have a negative/cynical slant towards Liverpool stuff (unless LFC TV are paying him, in which case he plays the old fan favourite role very well).

• Advertisement

Yep bitter, been talked about here llads of times. Ronnie got done over by the club and has never forgiven them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jesus....what a chance for Jota at the death.

A weird game but job done I guess....albeit a bit sloppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Excellent away European performance and result. First 20 mins in 2nd half was poor…otherwise well on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Good first leg. We've put ourselves in a great position. City on the knife edge, only 1 goal lead going to Atletico, ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

How did you jump to that conclusion for what materialised there? A small bit of an overreaction maybe!!!

• Advertisement

I posted before he was up, thankfully looled OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Job done tonight 2nd half very sloppy but got through it..

No worries about Fabinho’s noggin for the weekend now, Kostas kissed it all better.

Sounds a bit arrogant to me to expect to have Champion’s League quarter Final wrapped up in the first leg and huge underestimating of opponents

Key players will be playing in all the April games and will be loving it. They’ll rest in the summer.

Tonight was difficult at times but was never a tense situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That 3rd goal certainly changes perception of the game. 'only' winning 2-1 would have been frustrating. Created enough chances to win a couple of games.

Thiago & Hendo get to job share and so did Bobby, Salah, Mane & Jota.

Thought Keita was the best Liverpool player. His interception, which resulted in the 3rd goal, was very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Good result but not a great performance. Very sloppy at times.

To be honest I'd fancy City to win on Sunday. I don't think we've been great recently despite good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That'll do donkey, that'll do.

Not a perfect performance by any means, but a 2 goal cushion nonetheless. You'll never dominate a CL quarter final for a full 90 minutes, and the individual error from Ibrahim gave them a foothold in the game.

Good pair of results all told, Atleti will keep City honest over the weekend only trailing by one goal, whereas we can go 100% at it in Sunday.

Hope Fab is OK, that's the only worry.

On the balance of the actual game we just watched, it probably should have been totally wrapped up. Like, could easily be 5 or 6 up on the basis of what we just watched. And if that had happened, it would be easy to put out a team with 5 or 6 changes, which would still be strong, but allow a bit of very important rest time for anyone who needed it, as deemed by the fitness coaches. Klopp's the one who constantly repeats that players can't play every game, and be expected to stay at their best. (Mo's the obvious example of that right now).

Still a grand result of course, but perhaps a slight missed opportunity to kill it entirely in one tie, as we've done in the past.

Not arrogance at all. Reality - as what was transpiring in that first half. We were totally dominant, 2 nil up and bossing it. I'm sure most on here were thinking, bang in another couple and start the squad players in the home leg. That to me is far from arrogance - it was best case scenario and should really have happened but for a lot of sloopy first half finishing.

Benfica are a poor side, who allowed us to do what we wanted. They upped their game and we got very sloppy. In the end 1-3 was a super result away from home in the QF of the CL, but it should have finished with a bigger win. At the death, Jota probably should have made it a 1-4 win.

Well there’s my new wallpaper:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I think the players came out at half time with half an eye on the weekend considering the score and how dominant we had been against a perceived lesser team.

That slight lapse of concentration allowed Benfica in and they stayed in until they were gassed.

I don't think they squad will allow that same lapse of concentration in the biggest game of the season.

I really think that if they can keep their heads we have as much a chance of winning the game on Sunday as City.

I posted as he went down woth blood on his head (wasn't his) and didnt move. Thank god he's ok

Anything to be said for keeping Salah on the bench Sunday? He has been off form for a while now.

Hard to see him not starting but I wouldn't have a problem if he was benched and got the last 30 v City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only after finding out what comes up when you search “empty seats” in Google Maps.

Spoiler alert: It’s exactly what you’re expecting.

I'd say tonight was more of the game to bench him in, but it seems like Klopp might be trying to play him into form.

A 70% Salah is still very dangerous. Got into some great opportunities tonight, just didn't take them. They will go in again. He needs the clichéd one to go in off his arse. Or a tap in like Mane got. He seems to be overthinking a lot of chances.

Still has to start I think... always has the ability to suddenly raise his game, and he also takes up more of an oppositions attention than any other player around, and allows a bit more space for whoever the other two forwards are. Even if he doesn't do much himself his presence makes it easier for others to do stuff.

As sure as Mo Salah has been excellent in every season for us, he’s also had a spell in every season where nothing would go in for him.

It always sorts itself out, he’ll play his way out of the slump like he always has done. The sooner it happens, the more likely we are to win another trophy this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Our counter attack is just so much slower without Mo. We need his speed vs City. Reckon he'll 100% start.

• Advertisement

It looks like Klopp is trying to manage Salah's minutes too in the last month.

The last 8 games Liverpool have seen Salah only play 90 mins 1 time. The AFCON really did tip him over the edge with all those extra time 120 mins games. Add in the WCQ on top of that with more max minutes and it's a heavy workload so Liverpool are working on it I guess.

Benfica 61 mins

Watford 69 mins

Forest 0 mins

Arsenal 34 mins

Brighton 69 mins

Inter 90 mins

West Ham 79 mins

Norwich 0 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The fact Mo only played 60 mins tonight nearly guarantees he will start vs city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He is writing that FSG have excepted Salah might leave this summer if he doesn’t except latest contract offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tierney and Taylor will have plenty of family and friends at the stadium on Sunday so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But two people in the CL thread said Liverpool are poor defensively 🤔

• Advertisement

Great win last night. I would have taken a draw before the game in all honesty. Always confident of a home win in the second leg of a CL game.

Pressure is off slightly now in the CL, and it'll give Klopp options to rotate. City on the other hand have a tough away game v Athletico, so hopefully that can be a tiny advantage for Liverpool in the league game this Sunday. It's going to be an intense game!

He'll probably play 90 v City and possibly start on the bench v Benfica next week.

If we get a positive result v City in the league I can see him being fully rested for the FA cup game. A loss in the City league game and he'll definitely get rested in a few league games.

He looked a bit leggy last night, but he's such a big game player that he has to play the big ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Having thiago and Trent against city will be the difference maker. There ability to pick out a pass in our quick transitions will hurt city. Play with that intensity like the first half last night and we'll win.

This kind of talk is making me nauseous 😪 fecking sickening that we gave these refs.

Trent making the City game is huge,

City full backs come inside into midfield & they attack in numbers so to have Trent is a massive weapon to spring inch perfect counter's , I reckon Klopp will play the old front 3 with Bobby dropping deep & leave Mo & Mane high & wide,

City haven't been that free scoring lately so even a slight shift to be more defensively solid might blunt them, Wouldn't be surprised if Pep does something mad like 3 CB's

As usual Foden & KDB will be our main problems,

• Advertisement
Advertisement