Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nothing like a wet Wednesday evening in Burnley eh lads ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just seen a post on Twitter that made me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The strength in depth is mad, we bring off Thiago,Salah and Mane and only put on Henderson, Jota and Firmino.

Last night was the best bench in my life time , while still playing a strong starting 11 ,

What you guys reckon the only question for the weekend starting 11 is which 2 out off Mane,Jota & Bobby start,

Personally i think it probably even down to who out of Jota & Bobby starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Id be surprised if Klopp didn't go Diaz,Mane,Salah upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bobby starts, he gives us so much, especially away from home. He'll link things and be the quiet influence he always is.

Start him all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'd have to agree, Bobby starting is the best idea and then Jota in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

City often switch to 3 CBs in game anyways so it wouldn't be a big shock. Walker can tuck in as the 3rd CB and let Cancelo roam forward into midfield and gives an extra platform to let the likes of KDB & Silva to roam around.

Just can't see Diaz starting,

Klopp will want his tried and tested lads & also Diaz is probably the one it will hurt least not to start,

• Advertisement

I mean proper Stones, Laporte , Ake,

although Walker has been vital for them against us for them due to his pace on the cover,

Just seen Mane is level with Ronaldo with most knockout champions league goals since 2017 , 13 each, Mo has 11

Sometimes people forget just how good Sadio is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought Keita played pretty good last night. Quietly effective over the course of the game. Quietly winning the ball back and just recycling possession rather than needing the big tackle or big pass.

I don't think he will start Sunday as I think Klopp will pick Fabinho-Hendo-Thiago but I wouldn't be upset if it was Fabinho-Thiago-Keita again. I think Keita will play some part at the least.

I think I'd like to see the original trio start Sunday, Mane-Bobby-Salah. I think that Bobby is still the best central forward with his back to goal and link man. It gives an extra body in midfield when needed too, important against City. Diaz is a brilliant sub to have with his pace and explosiveness. Jota was very bad last night but is very capable of getting goals out of nothing. He does be quiet in general in games but then comes up with goals out of nowhere. A great attribute to have in your locker but I don't think passengers are what you want away to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I wouldn't be taking a Diaz start as a given by any means. In fact, I think he'll be on the bench while Salah, Jota and one more will start. Leaning towards Firmino at the minute but it's impossible to tell really, Mane played really well against Benfica.

If Diaz was going to start on Sunday, I would've thought he'd be taken off last night.

Thinking about who would be more effective from the bench rather than starting, I'd be going with Jota, Firmino and Salah starting the game with Mane and Diaz coming on between 45 and 60 minutes, depending on how the game is going. That's a lot of pace and intensity for City to deal with in the second half, while also having our reliable first goalscorer in Jota on the pitch early on. Salah will play the full 90 unless the game is dead at the hour mark, one way or another.

As well as that, Salah always plays his best football when Firmino is on the pitch, it's been very noticeable since Jota and Diaz have established themselves in the team. Bobby unlocks so much of that space that Mo loves to attack, in a way no other forward does for us. It's something you'd notice much more when he isn't there, rather than when he is.

The rest of the team picks itself, I was impressed by Naby Lad last night but I can't imagine us leaving Hendo on the bench for Sunday, his organisation and leadership will be more important that any player against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Nothing to add here in terms of the games but have to say the discussions here are so much better in terms of quality than reddit. See one poster here argue that City might win the game on current form. That would be downvoted so much on reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think it will be the old front 3 too, Mo, Mane and Bobby.

Bobby not just for his link up play but also his work effort in closing down from the front and tracking back.

Matip to replace Konate last night from the back.

Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho midlfield.

How good is it then to have Jota and Diaz available from the bench!

As good as Naby was there is no way Hendo misses out , he is to important in big games for us,

Hendo can set the tone for us this weekend & his own intensity & desire can set the bar for everyone else,

Bobby will play just because we need an extra midfielder at times & he will wreck Rodri's head , As lads have pointed out Jota a great man for a goal but can go missing for large parts,

Mane & Mo are made for these games, two of them will be chomping a the bit to show there STILL absolute world class ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

There is an element of truth in it but the stats don’t back it up. I know it for the number of times my heart is in my mouth when a counter attack is on. We rely on the speed of VVD when we play the high line. Our wing backs play way up the pitch, so we look vulnerable to the counter. TAA is really a midfielder for me. Happened twice last night when VVD was the only one in our half and we looked like we were going to get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

a lad also said it was a stone wall penalty and red card for Virgil 🤣

• Advertisement

I get what you’re saying about there being an element of truth to those comments, but “poor” certainly isn’t a word I’d use to describe our defence under any circumstances. To say our defence is poor would imply that the players aren’t competent or can’t do the job the manager wants them to. In reality, all of our defenders are highly competent and do exactly what’s instructed of them, it’s just that the whole system relies on them to be so good because it creates a weakness at the back, but it’s all completely intentional.

Konate last night for the goal, was indeed poor. That was an individual error and you’ll have those from young defenders. For the most part, he was excellent and did exactly what was required of him. The goal was a nice bonus, slightly undone by the mistake that led to Benfica’s goal.

The team is set up to be so unbalanced by design. We’re not unique in that, many top teams do the same but we maybe take it to another extreme. City also take it to the very limit but they mitigate the problem with systematic tactical fouling on counter attacks. We mitigate the problem by having some of the most talented, athletically gifted defenders in the world, which is why we struggled so much last season without Virgil, Joe and Matip for so long.

Our defense has been excellent this season. It's one of the main reasons we're doing so well.

Calling the defence poor or vulnerable is lazy analysis usually spewed out by pundits and commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Lord Divock is some lad...

He will be missed when he goes to Milan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I hope Divock has one last big goal left in him for us. Sunday would do nicely but can’t see him making the bench unfortunately.

Like the others I think that the front 3 will be Bobby, Mane and Salah. Jota started the home fixture but I think he’s a better bench option in a game like this.

Klopp went with all 4 back in November 2020 but that was in the absence of Fabinho (I think) but the formation has been very solid since then so can’t see a front 4 being an option

We went 4 4 2 that day but we had Hendo & Gini central , Thaigo/Fab don't have the legs to play the way Hendo & Gini did that day,

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I think Jota starts. His link up play with Salah and Mane is not as good as Firmino but he's good 20 goals already this season. If we have to win this game, then I think we need to start with Jota to hopefully take the chance if he gets it.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting because we can all clearly see the reason Bobby would be picked & all clearly see the reason why Jota would be picked,

Very interesting to see how Klopp & the staff see it,

I'd imagine a lot of analysis of City has gone on in recent weeks & will play a big part in the call,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The line that stands out for me is.

...but the club strategy on new signings will be different

Klopp on Haaland..

We won’t be going there. The numbers involved are just crazy – we’ll be having nothing to do with it. No chance! To be honest, I don’t want anything to do with it. It’s not fun.

I didn’t think it was actually possible until now, but the possibility of Jordan Pickford getting relegated with Everton is very much alive.

It’s looking like a potentially very special season for us if we can keep the momentum going, but my god, that would be the icing on the cake!

Valverde would be beautiful in rotation with Henderson next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They are in MASSIVE trouble, Dyche is in full on Dyche mode and Lampard isnt a great manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some people giving out about our result last night saying we should of put the tie to bed but when u look and the villareal-bayern match tonight it just shows there is no easy fixtures at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

They're dead, imo.

They have 25 points. 14 of them were scored in the first 7 games of the season. Since then they have 11 points from 22. Puts them on course to score only another 4 or 5 between now and the end of the season. Atrocious. A lot of their players have just checked out mentally and accepted relegation at this point, and I don't think Lampard has the tools to pull them out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Say what you like but we'll miss them when they're gone.

Just had a look at the remaining fixtures for both Everton and Burnley.

Yeah, Everton are well and truly f**ked. 😀

Call fireman Sam, Frankie’s career as a premiership manager will sink with the club if they go down. I thought it was astonishing to get rid of Rafa, then give the job to Lampard. Surely they needed an experienced manager to assure their survival. Crazy club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

They sold Digne,then sacked Rafa,christ is it toddlers they have running the club?

I would’ve missed them a few years ago tbh, but in the last couple of years they’ve been treating the derbies as opportunities to injure Liverpool players rather than win the actual football match. That might sound like hyperbole, but I can recall far more of that kind of behaviour than the football they played.

They’ll bounce back up the following season anyway, and will be a better club for having gone down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They need someone (sam) with experience of a relegation battle, Frank was never the right man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Nah.

Their fanbase were saying as recently as a year ago that they had better players in certain positions (Digne's better than Robbo apparently), had a conveyor belt of young talent (where?), and were just a couple of signings from building a genuine team around the likes of "Hamez", "Richie La" and DCL that'd be better than us and covering their ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" when the fact that they were in 10th place was pointed out.

I can't wait to see them in the Championship. And then hopefully League One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

I'd have little against Everton as a club, their people are the same people that follow my club, and as such their struggles are in the main our struggles.

However, the behaviour of a lot of their players in the recent Derby games has been cvntish, **** them players IMHO.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised they didn’t do better under Rafa, they do have a descent squad, though I have never understood how that plank of a goalie earns a living. At another club, Rafa probably would have done well with that team, Everton was never a good fit though for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Listen to the BBC football podcast. The story is already set that Lampard was dealt a bad hand and they accept Everton are doomed. There has been a Everton supporter on the last few and he has said the same. “He is giving instructions but the players are not listening” which he said himself after a recent game. Lampard’s career will be saved as a “young, up and coming English manager” that should get another chance.

Rafa is getting very badly tarnished by quite a lot of the ex-players for both Everton and Liverpool, more so the Everton players though on the same podcast, as a very aloof man that wouldn’t even say hello. Not approachable at all. The narrative is to wonder why he got the Everton job at all.

Everton are a mess right from the very top. Recent signings that were not used at all. Stadium talk that won’t progress but is pushed forward as a sign of progress at the club. On those signings, Lampard is clear of any criticism as he joined after those were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

I know its only one leg but surprised nobody has mentioned Villareal winning , one last vey kind draw for us haha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Rio saying there now that experienced (ancelotti) managers will get results, he has changed his tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think Salzburg had a good home result against Bayern in the last round, then got slaughtered in the second leg. Still fancy Bayern to be in the semi.

Yeah but least it doesnt say much for them. Theyve had a few dodgy results this season , id have us as 60/40 favs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

But that's not just a recent thing, there's always been a bit of bite and a touch of nastyness in the so called friendly derby.

The likes of Duncan Ferguson, Tommy Graveson, Peter Reid, Gary Stevens and even Lee Carsley spring to mind.

We also had our own players that were up for the odd wreckless derby challenge.

You never know! Villareal have a decent defense and could catch them on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Chelsea getting stuffed, Bayern losing and Everton taking one step closer to the championship and very likely financial oblivion. If Carlsberg did Wednesdays....

Advertisement