Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Of course it does because he expected Firminio to score liverpool's goal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

He's the most pessimistic, negative poster on here so I wouldn't take that prediction to seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Contract done?

Salah posted this 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I agree with this. Last two games (Watford and Benfica) I think Liverpool have played within themselves with City in their sights. I think there'll be a few rested for midweek and full-throttle again for City in the Cup.

Seems bizarre really - resting a few of the main lads for a CL quarter-final in order to go full strength in the FA Cup! Strange, but exhilarating, times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have 38 goals, in only 15 away games, no one comes close to those stats. It's hard not seeing both teams scoring, it's the points at which they do score that will be key to the outcome . SHould be a real heavyweight contest, both landing blows, both responding to the other.

The fact the ref's are Anthony Taylor, with Paul Tierney on VAR is a joke. Who ever made those appointments has a screw loose, why on earth, when others are available would they appoint two refs who are from Manchester, and have clear unexplained calls in the past against Liverpool, calls that the whole stadium, country, planet see one way, but them, and only them see it different. Yet they claim the world is wrong, and they are right.

It's human nature, If I was living in Liverpool, and was a ref, and was asked to referee this game, then of course, if there was a gun to my head, i'd fall on the side of Liverpool. So when a massive call is needed, they naturally fall to their side, you'd expect it, and history shows they do it, not their fault, it's human nature, the fault lies with the clueless people who decided to appoint them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Looking forward to the game. I think we'll win. We have a horrific record there and we're on are poor run against them recently but both have to change at some point and nows as good a time as ever. Agree with others I think we've been doing enough to get by in recent games and save ourselves for this.

We still have 18-19 fresh in the memory of hoping for a slip that never came I back our lads to seize the chance to make the slip happen themselves.

They don't lose when scoring first but they also rarely win when going behind,especially when behind at half time. If Spurs can win there without even playing brilliantly we can too.

We're not just facing Man City, we're facing the crowd, and the officials, it will be the sweetest of victories !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Score first and we win, that is absolutely key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whatever about Taylor, Tierney on VAR is the one I really can't get my head around. Like, it's only about a month ago that he already significantly effected the title race with that non-handball-penalty call against Everton - which PGMOL had to publicly apologise for afterwards. Why the bejesus would you put him in this position for the most significant game of the season?

After that previous disaster, I wouldn't be letting him near any Liverpool or Man City game again...

Yep, and the recent Spurs game, where again the world saw things differently than Tierney, and again where Chris Kavanagh refused to even request that Tierney look at the Jota penalty, the same way he refused to request Tierney to look at the penalty in the Everton game, It was the looney duo in that game also

Both games where the result was affected in a way that benefited City . We never did get a ''Sorry' after the Spurs game though.

Tierney and Kavanagh have been incompetent many times, at least we have to assume this, and assume it's not just a conincidence that its only Liverpool they seem to affect with their calls. The Premier League wants us to believe they are useless, not corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is that an OFF! t-shirt that Mo is wearing? Didn't realise he was into his hardcore punk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I think for the long term LOLz I'm hoping for a United win at 12:30pm. I then think/hope United will drop plenty more points before end of season and miss out on 4th, hopefully they get Europa conference.

If United do win then that Norwich/Burnley game tomorrow at 2pm will be the perfect appetiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

What's the trophy Mo is holding in the "Liverpool was made for me" Instagram post?

Read somewhere that Klopp said he had full squad to pick from, someone mentioned Bobby missed training Friday, is there confirmation he is fully fit for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Maybe bench Salah tomorrow and stick Cannonier on... 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the lads parroting on early this year about Thiago being detrimental to the way we play have gone awful quiet, like the mad doctor who used to say Klopp's style of play injures players. there's nothing worse than stupid experts

Kenny Cunningham is crying inside reading this. Fabinho another one he wrote off. Giles saying Klopp was a one trick pony 3 years ago.

Off the Ball and Newstalk is littered with some top class analysts 😂.

There's always room for criticism. For all the magic Thiago is capable of, he still has flaws. His availability is poor for one. When he is available, he can be a liability defensively at times and his last ditch tackling almost always results in a card. He is not getting any quicker either. For such a technically capable player, he could contribute more on the goal scoring front too.

But there's no point in deliberating him, Jones, Naby, Ox, Taki, Bobby, Mané etc ad nauseum. We've discussed their strengths and weaknesses lots and there's little more to be said at present, especially when there's no live game on. None of us are experts but we are all entitled to have opinions. Some might even differ. Nothing wrong with that and it adds to the discussion. Let's just enjoy the ride and hope that the sum of the parts continues to make up for any faults with the individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Salah was playing like the best in the world for a good few months at the start of the season, but looking back on the entire season so far, nobody in the league has been consistently better than Thiago. Absolutely nobody.

And the sad thing is, even if we actually did manage to win all four trophies with Thiago stealing the show in every game, he still wouldn’t even make the Ballon D’Or final three because people only care about goals and assists.

He has never even made the top 10 of Ballon D’Or in all his years as a pro despite being one of the consistantly best midfielders in the world over the last 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's a really tough ask tomorrow, the odds are stacked against us, playing away from home, City look to be in good form again, the selected match officials look to be slightly biased against us ( maybe they will even things up tomorrow) and only a win really suits us.

A win or draw suits City and even if they lose they are not out of it as they have a much easier run in, in comparison with ours, which has a few potential banana skins, Everton and United may not be playing well, but they will do their upmost to get a draw to derail our title hopes, Spurs are the form team in the league outside ourselves.

I think tomorrow is likely to end in a draw, which keeps us in it, but, out of our control. Unfortunately I think we're in for a repeat of 2018/19, just coming up short, hopefully I'm wrong and we beat City tomorrow. It's really frustrating to think we are only 1 point behind City over the last few seasons, but, still only 1 league to show for it compared to their 2, possibly 3.

The Spurs game worries me, playing well and with a manager worth his corn, not sure any of the others we've to play can say that. But being at home we should do them. Not too fussed about he rest of our games honestly. An abject United team and Everton team so bereft of talent they're battling relegation would no doubt love to hurt our title ambitions but they lack the ability and even the heart to do so if we are on our game which we will be if the title is there for the taking. Regardless of what anyone else would like to do against us, if we win tomorrow I back our lads not to falter in the least in any of our remaining games, same way I 'd back City not to if they get the result they need.

It's all on tomorrow IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs game is the one game at worries me after tomorrow, they have the quality and coach to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

If we fall short over the 38 games this season we can't really complain.

January: 2-0 up against Chelsea after about 25 minutes and then lost our heads.

December: 2-0 up against Tottenham with 20 minutes remaining and lost control of the game.

October: 2-0 up against Brighton after 25 minutes and then got over run in midfield.

6 points were dropped across those three games from positions where we had been in control, it's not a surprise that points were lost when players focus dropped. The same thing happened against Benfica in midweek.

If we lose the league by a single point again then of course there will be a postmortem and questions will be asked. Why wasn't Milner replaced sooner in the reverse fixture against Man City, Foden had run him ragged. If only Fabinho had lifted the ball towards the top of the net Rodri wouldn't have been able to block it etc.

It's fine margins that decide things in elite sport and that's where we're at in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Salah's missed penalty against Leicester is the one I most regret.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

All we can do is do what Virg asked us to do.

Just enjoy the ride.

I'll savour every moment. We'll see where it takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That game already has an awful whiff of Chelsea in 2014 about it. Thankfully we have a much, much better manager than we did that day, but if there’s one game left this season after tomorrow that genuinely worries me, it’s Spurs. Conte is a class act, he’s been one of the top 3 managers in the world for some years now and if anyone can get a result at Anfield, it’ll be him.

I still believe we can beat them, obviously. It just won’t come easy, like it previously would have against Tottenham.

• Advertisement

If only Arsenal hadn't "done an Arsenal" in their last few games, imploding when 4th looked in their reach. It gave Spurs sight of the top 4 and now have something to fight for. That game presents a huge threat. Maybe Spurs will do a "typical Spurs" capitulation but it would have been great if they were out of contention by the time we play them. I hope we batter them either way. I cannot stand that Harry Kane!

We keep the GD advantage healthy throughout the remaining games and win tomorrow we don't need to beat Spurs. Draw will do.

But I can't get away from the fact that playing well or not we're still absolutely miles better than them and, well, they're spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just looking at the fixtures and by the time we play spurs they might actually have a gap opened up on Arsenal

Salah suddenly finds Son on his heels for the Golden Boot, what he thought was a sure thing is now a fight. Salah only has two from open play since turn of year, Jota and Mane taking up the slack, so no issue team wise, but for Salah himself, he needs to improve, has been very poor for a month or more.

Hopefully tomorrow he plays, and plays well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That Leicester game is the one we really let slip, a draw really was the minimum we should have expected there as we had a few days rest on them and they had played just 2 days previously, so it was really set up for us. I think if we do lose out by a point that's the game the players will look at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I thought all week tomorrow would be close, but the closer the game goes, I can't see it.....

It'll end up 3-1 or even 4-1 to somebody, I just don't know who yet! I just hope it's is

Roll on tomorrow. What a season it has been. Still alive in three comps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The bookies have us at 5/2. I had to take some of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He scores, three points.

Of course, City fans will look at the recent Palace game the same way we look at Brifhton and Brentford, so it settings both ways.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Honestly the one I'll always keep looking at is the Spurs game. Some games you just have an off day, and you lose or draw. That's just the reality, and I can accept that, when you get out of a game what your performance deserved. The Spurs one is annoying because that should have been a win. Like, we should have had the pen, and an extra man with Kane off, and from there the game likely plays out differently than it did. I'm happy enough when points earned reflects the reality. (also why the city everton thing will forever annoy me if we lose the league by a tight margin).

Adding the all important caveat - still alive in three comps, having already won the fourth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This team knew in January they had to put in a winning run to make this game a big one. They've done it and I think they'll rise to the occasion tomorrow.

I think it's going to be a wild one, the two best teams that just want to attack, there will be goals, 3-4 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think an open wild game may suit Liverpool better, so hopefully it is one. City only need to avoid defeat though, really, so they might not want to play that way and try to shut the game down like they can through sterile possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Definitely suits us. We invite the wildness at times, City want control all the time. For it to be wild we need the first goal, and I think we're going to go full tilt for the first 15-20 to try get it (or 2). If City get the first one, they could kill us as we go for it.

Early in the week I wanted the old front three starting. Now I want Diaz left and Mane through the middle for his explosive speed on the shoulder against two from Laporte/Stones/Ake. I think he'll roast them, him and Walker is always a battle, both quick and strong, get Mane away from him and let Diaz who is more tricks than speed play him. Don't play to Walker's strengths.

But I can make arguments for any version of the front three but that's the one I want. I'm looking forward to this game so much. A season defining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Off the ball is just like any sports program. They need to get pundits on that creates conversation. That is why they have the likes of Cunningham and Giles to comment, because they are not afraid to speak their minds. It is just their opinion at the end of the day. An educated opinion and more knowledgeable than most, but still just that.

I get more vexed by their choice of other guest pundits/journalists when it comes to football. They constantly have Daniel Harris on who is a huge Man United fan. No problem with that, but get him to voice his opinion on Man City and Liverpool all the time. Better to do the same as they do with the guests that remark on Liverpool, like some of the team from the Anfield Wrap, keep it to your team only. I have never seen them ask any of those guests about United unless we were playing them, yet Harris is constantly asked what his views are on City or Liverpool when we are not playing them. I cannot remember them asking what their opinion is of the race for CL places or the fight for a Europa Conference League slot. Then again he is opinionated as well and as you can see with me commenting on him, it works.

They are a commercial enterprise after all, and need to put meals on the table for all their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if we loose by a point or two it will be because city were given two points v everton,in the most farcical decision in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Exactly my thoughts. Can't get the ridiculous decisions in the Spurs game and the Everton/City game out of my head. With less incompetent referee's Liverpool are likely 3 points ahead going into this game today. Instead we're one behind. Infuriating.

Poor refereeing decisions are part and parcel of a league season, VAR was supposed to limit them, but even that is reliant on interpretation to mistakes are made. The fact is that there are 4 or 5 games where we cannot blame officials for us dropping points, we just played badly and conceded late/stupid goals. Those dropped points are the reason we might come up a little short, and can’t be blamed on officials. But even that is to be expected over a season, the problem is that MC and Liverpool are so good, that a couple of lapses or self inflicted wounds mean that the other team wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Is Diaz in or out ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement