Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Memphis would be a fairly uninspiring signing IMO .......... likely a 4 year deal....... no fee so hefty wages. Doesn't seem the type of player we sign, he's not likely to improve. We could do with him for free kicks alright but apart from that I dunno would it be a great deal. Although he's a threat from outside the box also....... mmmmm .......... the Utd thing as well though.

I'd hope we get an actual #9 striker type of player tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Chelsea were supposed to be 3 players away last year and they went out and bought 3 50m+ players and stayed in the same place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Chelsea were supposed to be 3 players away last year and they went out and bought 3 50m+ players and stayed in the same place.

I have thought it was more a case of 3 players, and a decent manager.
    They now have the manager, plus their 3 big signings, who have a year under their belts.
    They will more than likely sign another 1 or 2 top class players this season. They have a pretty decent first team already, which will only get better, and a very, very good squad.
    Chelsea will be there or thereabouts next season.

Poor manager, and main striker has not performed. I think Havertz and Ziyech will be top players next season.

Thing is, they’ll just cast them aside and sign three more this summer if they find upgrades. We have persisted with Keita even though it has been obvious for a while that he isn’t up to the rigours of the PL, Milner though a magnificent servant, is getting on, we’ve known for two seasons that Origi and Shaq are not quite good enough when the front 3 need a rest/are injured and Matip, though I rate him highly, seems not to be able to play more than a couple of games in a row.

I am concerned that even though money is tight, the clubs around Liverpool will bring in significant upgrades this summer. Our squad is getting older, more injury prone and no longer able to play with the same intensity after 5 years under Klopp. Personally, I think we need to spend on players who are ready to play in first 11, we can’t wait another season or two for talent to develope, by then Hendo, Bobby, Matip, Mane, Tiago will be on the downward part of the curve, some are there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's more because of how poor a manager Lampard is.

Also, CL final is definitely progression.

I do think their squad is still lacking though. Don't see them competing against City or a full strength Liverpool, player for player. Interesting to see what they do in the summer again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lq446h7a4c071.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool really wanted to sign Depay that summer when he moved to Man Utd. But then signed Firmino instead. I'm happy enough with how that one worked out overall.

That said, I do think he is an avenue worth exploring. Could do a lot worse, especially on a free transfer. Liverpool do tend to relook into transfer that didn't happen, I mean he obviously impressed them enough a few years ago to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Defender, Konate

Central Midfielder, Aouar

Striker, Andre Silva

Squad forward, Pereira.

Yes. And maybe Bissouma for good measure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah didn't they go back in for Salah after he chose Chelsea over us. Come to Liverpool and we'll make you a superstar, is how I imagine the pitch went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd like Depay but I think we'll be looking for younger players now like when Klopp came in, that age profile of around 23-26. The long term, bigger picture is what got us to the pinnacle.

I'll say it again though if the club wanted to sign Mbappe, there is no downside. He's only 22, and after a few years with us you can still sell him to Real for a kings ransom. I don't see him moving though this summer and will sign a short extension as the financial impact of the pandemic on clubs will make his options very limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The path to the club challenging for things next year is built around players like Gomez, VVD and Henderson coming back and out of form players like Mane being rejuvenated. We will make a couple of acquisitions and we will lose a couple of players.

But fundamentally you either believe in the squad we have or we don't. If we don't the rebuild required is beyond the scope of next year anyway. I believe in this team - particularly in light of them taking 23 of the last available 27 points in the league.

The uproar here the last few days over the jersey is nothing compared what's gonna kick off at the people's club when they realise they have a big red stripe down their away kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

.red. wrote: »
    The uproar here the last few days over the jersey is nothing compared what's gonna kick off at the people's club when they realise they have a big red stripe down their away kit.

Nah it’ll be grand I think, since it’s a recreation of their first ever Everton kit, so the design is firmly rooted in their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Red or "Red"

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The path to the club challenging for things next year is built around players like Gomez, VVD and Henderson coming back and out of form players like Mane being rejuvenated. We will make a couple of acquisitions and we will lose a couple of players.

But fundamentally you either believe in the squad we have or we don't. If we don't the rebuild required is beyond the scope of next year anyway. I believe in this team - particularly in light of them taking 23 of the last available 27 points in the league.

But we will lose two midfields, one to free transfer, one to Father Time, and, two forwards (shaq and DO) plus there are questions over Bobby. So no point saying this squad is good enough.

Dav010 wrote: »
    But we will lose two midfields, one to free transfer, one to Father Time, and, two forwards (shaq and DO) plus there are questions over Bobby. So no point saying this squad is good enough.

For midfield, one could argue that both are already replaced with Thiago and Curtis Jones. Keeps the midfield at a comparable level to the league winning one last season. Think it’s likely we’ll bring in another young midfielder too though.

Up front, from our league win we’ve added Jota. Need one more young up and coming addition there too alright.

Elsewhere, Nuno is leaving Wolves... wonder if Gerrard might be approached. It’s the right type of job at least, strong pretty settled squad. Maybe a year too soon for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nuno leaving Wolves it might be time to move for Neto or even Neves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gerrard to Wolves would be a good move depending on the cash they will have to spend,

Lots of tlak recently of Naby leaving Leicster is todays club linkied,

I think its the right time for both parties just hasn't worked out for him tome to accept it and move on ,

I just think the lad never had the attitude to make it , not a trouble maker or anything but never imposed himself , never looked like he felt confident enough in his own abilities ( which he does have) , Maybe the club was just to big for him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lots of tlak recently of Naby leaving Leicster is todays club linkied,

I think its the right time for both parties just hasn't worked out for him tome to accept it and move on ,

I just think the lad never had the attitude to make it , not a trouble maker or anything but never imposed himself , never looked like he felt confident enough in his own abilities ( which he does have) , Maybe the club was just to big for him,

I think none of that tbh.

He's looked impressive I would say in more than 50-60% of the games he's played

But he can't stay fit.

Shocked another club will take the risk.

Absolutely colossal flop it has to be said. We spent big there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For midfield, one could argue that both are already replaced with Thiago and Curtis Jones. Keeps the midfield at a comparable level to the league winning one last season. Think it’s likely we’ll bring in another young midfielder too though.

Up front, from our league win we’ve added Jota. Need one more young up and coming addition there too alright.

UP front, we'll be losing Mane and Salah for a hefty period during the AFCON, so we will definitely need at one more striker. Jota and Origi won't be enough, especially of jota gets injured at the same time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

UP front, we'll be losing Mane and Salah for a hefty period during the AFCON, so we will definitely need at one more striker. Jota and Origi won't be enough, especially of jota gets injured at the same time.

Def need a young up and comer too - probably replacing Origi. So we’d have New, Jota, and Bobby for that spell. Interestingly, the tournament is timed well with the winter window - wonder if we’d see Harvey Elliott go on loan, come back for January, and leave again after, just like Nat did last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

noodler wrote: »

But he can't stay fit.

Have to disagree that he’s looked impressive. For his price tag and expectation he’s been very poor. I can recall him playing well in a game away at Southampton I think a few seasons back but he didn’t stamp his authority on any game he played. Did he get any MOTM awards? The last few weeks aside, he’s a poor mans Gini and makes Sturridge look indestructible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Nuno leaving Wolves - destination Spurs? Player clear out from Wolves?

noodler wrote: »

But he can't stay fit.

Only times iv ever seen Naby play well is when everyone else has,
    He never once taken a game by the scruff or got us back into a game when other are flat,

To me he seemed happy to be here & never felt like he deserved to be , he never came out of his shell on the pitch, you can see he has ability but seems to hide,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I must have watched a different Naby. Anytime I've seen him, except for the Madrid game of course, he's been very lively and wants the ball in all areas of the pitch. He hasn't proven that he can take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us, but he's certainly not as bad as some people make out. I'm done with his injuries though and wouldn't be too gutted if we shipped him off.

Doff wrote: »
    I must have watched a different Naby. Anytime I've seen him, except for the Madrid game of course, he's been very lively and wants the ball in all areas of the pitch.

Most times he's played, he's looked anything from poor to decent. He's never been outstanding. We paid what was supposed to be a bargain of 50+ million for him, due to a buy out clause and supposedly beat off all the big teams around Europe for his signature.
    If we got an offer of 30m for him this season we should grab it with both hands. I'd imagine it'll be closer to 20m tho.
    A very expensive flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think we're only a top class striker signing away from being title contenders. No rebuild needed imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

By any standard, Keita was a failure at Liverpool, he has the ability, but, doesn't seem to have the drive required at this level, on top of that he's hardly ever available. If his injury record wasn't so bad, he'd probably be a decent squad player, but, you'd expect more than a squad player for the fee that was paid for him. His best period of form was the end of last season after lockdown and the first few games of this season. I don't know what happened this special fitness regime he was supposed to have started at the start of this year, whatever it was doesn't seem to have worked as he has hardly played since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Most times he's played, he's looked anything from poor to decent. He's never been outstanding. We paid what was supposed to be a bargain of 50+ million for him, due to a buy out clause and supposedly beat off all the big teams around Europe for his signature.
    If we got an offer of 30m for him this season we should grab it with both hands. I'd imagine it'll be closer to 20m tho.
    A very expensive flop.

I would say he's had as many very good games as poor games. Mostly he's been good. His only problem is that he hasn't had a run in the team, with persistent injuries to blame. He hasn't played a minute since the Real game, which seems unfair as he was thrown into that match despite playing very few minutes in the run up. And most of the team were awful that day.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    .............. I don't know what happened this special fitness regime he was supposed to have started at the start of this year, whatever it was doesn't seem to have worked as he has hardly played since.

A lauded crock of sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It looks to be a signing that is going to work out which is a shame because I think he is a classy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wish them well however I hope they all go out at the group stages :)

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1395703176008028160?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That Everton away shirt is a cracker IMO. We could have done something like that and made it a permanent away shirt.

A sash on a shirt always looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I think we're only a top class striker signing away from being title contenders. No rebuild needed imo
    Don't we have a Polish Messi in the underage team? I don't see the club going for a 'top class' striker any time soon unless it's a too good turn down type of deal.

In 2019, Max Kruse was lined up to be signed but Klopp decided to keep Origi instead. Kruse was 31/32 at the time and has never been a prolific goal scorer.

We were strongly linked with another German forward with a similar profile before Jota was signed.

Those types of players would only be brought in to fill a gap when required. If we're signing a top quality striker then one of the existing first choice forwards is being moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Talisman wrote: »
    Don't we have a Polish Messi in the underage team? I don't see the club going for a 'top class' striker any time soon unless it's a too good turn down type of deal.

In 2019, Max Kruse was lined up to be signed but Klopp decided to keep Origi instead. Kruse was 31/32 at the time and has never been a prolific goal scorer.

We were strongly linked with another German forward with a similar profile before Jota was signed.

Those types of players would only be brought in to fill a gap when required. If we're signing a top quality striker then one of the existing first choice forwards is being moved on.

To be honest, I think we potentially already have said top class striker in Jota. It will be interesting to see him play next season minus (hopefully) an injury setback.

Henderson back in training today. Too late for Palace really but maybe a slight chance of the bench just to be there Sunday.

Kabak facing a late fitness test to make the squad too.

Jota has a slight chance of making the bench too, which could be very useful if things are tight with 10 mins to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whatever about our finances, there's no place in the squad for a £100m signing up front, unless someone leaves.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us rather try to add goals in midfield.

With Gini going, Naby either going or not factoring in because of his injuries, Oxlade Chamberlain the same, Milner surely having his last season if he stays, and Henderson being fairly injury-prone and getting into his 30s as well, we need at least 1 warm body.

We really do have not one, but two players who fit the bill in the squad of an athletic ball carrier who can run at defences and shake things loose, as well as provide a threat from the edge of the area and arriving late. Oxlade Chamberlain and Keita do that, but they're made of candyfloss. I'd certainly get rid of one of them, ideally both, and find someone similar, but less injury prone.

Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Jones, New Guy and Milner is still a bit short, so ideally you'd like to see another, maybe cheaper Grujic type roll of the dice signing, or if there's another Curtis Jones up the club's sleeve, even better.

Then you could maybe look at Elliot to stick around, or find an early 20's potential star who doesn't expect to stroll into our first 11. A bit like Ferran Torres for City this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I thought Naby was very useful for us. He gave us things no other player in the squad does. He runs at players and can often pass two opposition players in midfield. Teams who sat deep and tried to block our crosses had a new challenge to deal with.

If he was fit enough he really could have helped us against weaker teams in the league who sat deep. I don't blame him for the real Madrid game. He never showed before that he'd be good against a midfield who loves to keep the ball.

He's never fit though, it's not his fault but he has to go if a decent offer comes in. Ox too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Be fairly sick if Naby Lad goes to Leicester and plays 25+ games all season for them with no serious injury absence, wish him the best if he does head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

My gut says if we let Naby go he'll do a Danny Ings, and all his injuries will disappear and he'll prove his worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Gbear wrote: »
    Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Jones, New Guy and Milner is still a bit short, so ideally you'd like to see another, maybe cheaper Grujic type roll of the dice signing, or if there's another Curtis Jones up the club's sleeve, even better.
    The New Guy or Grujic type could very well be Grujic, he's 25 now and Porto don't have an option to buy following his loan.

There's a player in Naby. If, and it's a massive if, he stays fit, he will be a big player.

Klopp tends to trust him and has started him a lot when fit. In the first half of the season, a lot of Liverpool's best performances and wins had Naby playing in midfield. The comprehensive wins over Chelsea & Arsenal. The big wins against Leicester & Palace 7-0. But then this season's big injury happened.

But even his most ardent of supporters will admit that his fitness issues are a big problem now. Unless he can stay fit, then he is not offering much. Even 70% availability would be enough. When he is fit, I do feel he offers a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Fitz* wrote: »
    There's a player in Naby. If, and it's a massive if, he stays fit, he will be a big player.

Klopp tends to trust him and has started him a lot when fit. In the first half of the season, a lot of Liverpool's best performances and wins had Naby playing in midfield. The comprehensive wins over Chelsea & Arsenal. The big wins against Leicester & Palace 7-0. But then this season's big injury happened.

But even his most ardent of supporters will admit that his fitness issues are a big problem now. Unless he can stay fit, then he is not offering much. Even 70% availability would be enough. When he is fit, I do feel he offers a lot.

Klopp has thrown in the towel on him and rightly so. If anything put too much trust in him.

I'd actually rate our hopes of Ox coming good ahead of Keita. Now that Gini is gone it might just be what Ox needs to find motivation to go for his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Klopp has thrown in the towel on him and rightly so. If anything put too much trust in him.

I'd actually rate our hopes of Ox coming good ahead of Keita. Now that Gini is gone it might just be what Ox needs to find motivation to go for his place.
    I still cannot understand the Madrid selection... Kieta hadn't done anything for weeks before that, and has done nothing since either.

Fvckin crazy selection.

To be fair, I don't think Klopp would throw in the towel on any player. Remember Lovren getting hooked after 30 mins against Spurs in that game? We all thought he wouldn't see the pitch again in a Liverpool shirt. Lovren was MOTM a few months later in the CL final and stayed for another few seasons.

Maybe it's PR or whatever, but when players have left Liverpool the last few years, generally the word is that they wanted to leave of their own accord, play more games, new step in their career etc. Not because Klopp wanted them gone. With the exception of Sakho of course.

Personally I'd give Keita until January to prove his sustained fitness. If he can't do that, he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Fitz* wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think Klopp would throw in the towel on any player. Remember Lovren getting hooked after 30 mins against Spurs in that game? We all thought he wouldn't see the pitch again in a Liverpool shirt. Lovren was MOTM a few months later in the CL final and stayed for another few seasons.

Maybe it's PR or whatever, but when players have left Liverpool the last few years, generally the word is that they wanted to leave of their own accord, play more games, new step in their career etc. Not because Klopp wanted them gone. With the exception of Sakho of course.

Personally I'd give Keita until January to prove his sustained fitness. If he can't do that, he's gone.

He's had 3 seasons to prove his fitness, time to cut our losses and let him go, if his injuries clear up when he leaves us so be it, he's had his chance and it hasn't worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How long will it take before some of you trust Klopp and this regime on player decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

How long will it take before some of you trust Klopp and this regime on player decisions?

I'd trust him/them, but they are not infallible, I'd say when they are reviewing this season they will see room for improvement in a few areas.

Anyhow, that tall is time enough next week when the season I'd done and we know where we are next season. Let's not look past Sunday first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement