Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He worked his balls off defending too in fairness, and did get a brilliant assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Lucky to get a draw and Thiago lucky to not get a second yellow. City were brilliant and had our number, they'll be a bit gutted with that draw.

Thought Salah and Mane were our best players, did really well with the limited ball they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A poor performance in many ways. We really need a couple of top quality midfielders this summer. We are weak there. Midfield were very bad today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Away to City is a great point.

Just wait and see, I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

aye... City the better team for me... they hardly lose the ball and that was the difference today... i've never seen us play with such a lack of composure and with such sloppiness... they totally nullified our wide players but attacked with theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Exactly, i would have taken a draw before the game, it was always going to be a good result imo

Afcon took it out of him, so many long extra time games, and the mental weight of losing.

He'll come again, it's no hindrance currently, he could fire us to title in last 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Draw does'nt suit us but we really should have lost today, never got going, we actually looked tired, as did city in the second half.

no authority in midfield today, Fabinho was septic, Thiago never got into the game at all.

Mane was our best player today, even aside from the goal him tracking runs is massive.

We've been getting results but performances have been not up to our high standards for a while now, if we want to win more than the league cup we simply must find a bit of form, we can get away with average performances against poor opposition but not against quality sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

This. We are poxed to be leaving with a point.

Take it and move on.

Stilla few twists and turns left in the PL but (big) advantage City with the point in have and their run in Vs ours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Happy with a draw, especially considering how crap we were in the first half.

Too many were simply not at the races but cam good in the second half.

Bring on the FA cup game, I'm more confident of beating them in that one off game, as I cannot think we would be as bad in the first half again.

Salah was fairly non existent - again. It is a real worry that the player you cannot really drop has abjectly poor fo so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We need someone now to step up and help Liverpool save football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

These City players are some of the best technical players out there. That is why Pep has spent more than £1b on players since he came to City, to get the most technical players to play his system. They win a lot because they are good, at both keeping the ball in tight spaces, pressing the opposition and in attack.

But whenever we went forward we looked dangerous, and we were put under a lot of pressure as well. I don't think you can see City play much better than this, maybe they take one or two more chances, but they have always been wasteful in front of goal. But we can be so much better. What is interesting, is if you break their press in midfield you are through. But that is easier said than done. Keita is a player that can do this going forward and Ox did this in 2017 in the CL against them. But it means if you lose the ball you are at threat to be cut open as well. Risk and reward when you play City really.

You can also see why Bobby plays well against them, they somehow don't deal brilliantly with a false 9. Jota had very good moments and so did Mane when he went there. Maybe something for next Saturday when we do it all again.

Yep, there was a graphic at half-time, I think it said they'd been 22 out of 22 when ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah really looks burnt out he could do with time off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't understand xG but how can it be lower than two goals for each time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Liverpool were below par but City still could not beat them.

Credit to City and Pep, they had a plan to deal with Pool's system and caused no end of problems. With better finishing, they could have won.

Credit also to Pool, those lads just never give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A shame Fab picked today to have his worst performance in a red shirt.

I'll take the draw. We were lucky to be still in the match at half time.

Much better performance in the second half.

I have a feeling City will slip up at some stage in the run in. I just hope we can take advantage.

DeBreyne really is a sensational player, he always makes the right pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anybody going negative on Liverpool today are ignoring how good Liverpool were to come out and improve in the 2nd half and how good a team City are.

Title race is still on and nothing can be concluded from today’s result as there’s a lot of football to be played yet and a lot can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Said before the match we needed to win this to win the league. I'll be absolutely shocked if City drop points from here considering the opposition.

I really hope we win the champions league as Klopp really deserves it and it's imperative from a legacy perspective. But the display today was worrying. Hoping it was a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Mad to think that Chelsea let him AND Salah go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where does the idea come from that City won’t drop points after drawing with Palace and losing to Spurs?

Anything can happen in football and the idea that exists nowadays that teams will win every game is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

With City v Wolves postponed , City will end up with Away to Leeds, Wolves, and WH in last 5 games, with two home games. They are tricky places to go play/

We have our own tasks, but it's good that we play United, Spurs, Everton, Wolves all at home. while the so called easier teams are away, Newcastle, Villa, Southampton

I suppose the idea comes from the fact that because they are so good, we don’t expect them to drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

One of City or Liverpool will also have to play midweek after the cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I believe XG is the probability of a goal being scored in the position the player is in when they take the shot/header. There is always a chance of missing the goal unless you Kuyt it against United, so even if it is in the middle of the box with only the keeper to beat the XG for that will be less than one.

Very crude explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Serious lack of legs in our midfield that need to be addressed this summer

• Advertisement

I'd be starting with him on the bench in the next two games for sure anyway. We should have enough without him to see out the tie against Benfica, hopefully without even having to take him off the bench. And then maybe give him 30 minutes in the cup against City.

It's just so important that he's coming back into fitness/form for the semi final and remaining league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It was always a tall order to beat City today, City are probably the best team in the world right now, they were always the most likely to win it today, was hoping we could nick it, but, a draw is a good result, it keeps us in it, just need City to slip up now (which I don't really expect them to), we have a tough run in, we'll be doing well to win all our matches. At this stage I'd settle for us still having a chance to win it going into the last match, would be hoping Villa can do us a favour 🤞(a long shot I know).

Brilliant game, fair result. Still all to play for.

How long was Micah Richards actually with city?

That shut me up.

I don't remember him there very long as a senior.

Neville makes a fair point.

We're looking at Man Utd and Everton fixtures based on tradition but based on their current state...two of the most winnable games in the league.

Both at Anfield to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He had a fair few injury ravaged seasons which kinda takes him out of our minds a bit I think. Was around a long time alright though, 245 games for them over 9 senior seasons, and was there 5 years before that in the academy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Because they are relentless, the end line is in sight and the opposition they face are average. Come back to me at the end of the season and we can chat again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

As I said in the PL thread - gotta be happy with a point there. City are one of the best sides in the world and we went there and came back twice from behind. First time City have dropped points from a leading position this season. In PL seasons gone by, that would be considered a great result away to your rivals, but because of the insane levels that Pep's City has set, we're supposed to be disappointed?

Personally, I couldn't ask for more from the lads and if City win the league from here, so be it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's going to be another ridiculous points total and we still won't win it right? I just can't see anywhere city drop points in the last 7 games. They are too experienced to let it slip with end in sight.

The only negatives i have is that we were very sloppy with our passing in midfield... too many hospital passes which city were able to start a counter from and that a good few of our players lacked composure... I thought City were phenomenal.. and we hung in there...

deffo, they couldnt get out to cover the ground near the wings like they used to... they still work against other teams but not teams like City..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City's run in looks fairly straightforward. A mixture of bad teams and decent teams who might already be on the beach.

Anyway have to win all our own games first and hope for the best.

Hmm, well they dropped 7pts in their last 7 games, for reference, and those games looked as winable as the next 7 games

They are in a sticky patch, and it continued today with 2 more points dropped. Liverpool remain the team in the '' groove''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Really enjoyed it.

We were hanging on at times, but we were pushing for the win throughout, reflected in our changes, and a draw isn't the end of the world, as I said during the week the main thing was that we didn't lose today. League isn't over, but if we lost it certainly was.

Both times played well at times, City shaded it IMHO, they played with such intensity it's insane. Our middle 3 struggled against their press and we struggled to get the front 3 involved. I thought Bobby would have played to be honest, just to give us an extra body dropping into midfield and linking stuff. Thiago, Fab and Hendo were always under pressure it seemed City just pressed and pressed.

If we don't win the league, it won't have been lost today, but earlier in the season in games where we were in winning positions.

We may have to face the ba5tsrds twice before the end of the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City could easily drop points, make no mistake about it. Strange results happen, last week Chelsea were beaten at home 4-1 by Brentford. It's far from over. Atletico could knock them out and we could knock them out Saturday and all of a sudden a slight wobble could be a stagger. We have to win our games to be able to take advantage of any possible slip ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Im happy enough to still have the dream of winning a bit more silverware for another few weeks - thats what its all about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

Cant understand how we are 15/8 to win the league tbh. Fair play for that 2nd half today though

Advertisement