Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

What do we think will be the team for tomorrow?

Allison

TAA, Konate, VVD, Robertson might Gomez or Tsimikas come in?

Keita Fab Hendo Thiago started last 2 will probably get a rest? Jones instead of Henderson?

Salah Firmino Diaz He seems to be swapping Diaz and Jota starting, will he rest one of Mane or Salah for Firmino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Start strong team try get a goal or two in the first half and then make 5 subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should we be altering our approach in massive away games when playing strong teams like City, Real, Bayern, or simply play into their hands, with a high line, and give the best in the world Benzema, Lewandowski , DeBrunye, chance after chance to hurt us.

It seems silly, but we all know, away to these teams, that is exactly what we would do. We get away with it against the lesser teams, as they don't take their chances, but in big games, big players hurt you, they only need 3 chances to get a hat trick.

I'm sure we'd all have been happy with a rugged performance against City, drop in, everyone behind the ball, and then try picking them off with Salah, Mane and Jota on the break, win the game, forget the expectation of the watching world, that it was going to be two great teams going head to head, no holding back, not a defensive thought to be had, all out toe to toe football.

I'd have preferred the 3 pts, than the entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd guess tomorrow, Konate, Keita, Firmino and Diaz will all start. Which isn't a huge drop off from the 4 they'd likely replace. Not sure we'll see more than that. Go and get a goal in the first half, and start taking players off then.

I am interested to see if we change our plan or players from Sunday to Saturday. Wembley is a big pitch so if City come with the same plan of quickly getting the call in behind our full backs and their runs are as well timed as Saturday it could be another long day. I doubt we'll change from the high line so that means the midfield needs to get to the City player with the ball as soon as they get it and stop the pass or at least make it a rushed one so it's not as accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

We surely have to adjust our tactics, otherwise it's suicide. Don't think City will try the same thing so blatantly again though, Pep is too smart and will no doubt try and exploit weaknesses elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Team I’d like to see tomorrow:

Kelleher (because he won’t play on Saturday)

Gomez Konate VVD Tsimikas

Elliott Henderson Keita

Mane Firmino Diaz

It’s more based on who I’d be expecting/hoping to play against City at the weekend, but it’s still strong enough to get the job done IMO. I have Elliott in there but as crazy as it sounds, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him start at Wembley too. It was painfully clear on Sunday that we need a lot more energy and enthusiasm in midfield, and while the Ox before his knee injury would’ve been exactly what we needed against City two days ago, that player is long gone sadly and Elliott might be the next best option if he can rise to the occasion. Keita too obviously, but he doesn’t have the greatest track record in the big games while Elliott is a bit of a wildcard still. And his decision making is top class, which could make a difference.

I know it’s unfair to put any pressure or expectation on a young lad just back from a horrible ankle injury. I just don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility. He should definitely get the start against Benfica though, I can’t see any reason not to play him tomorrow given the situation and the fact that we have 5 subs and a world class bench to bail us out if it does go a bit wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't mind seeing Klopp go with a 4231 on Saturday.

F**k it,

5 at the back

All 5 forwards on the pitch

No midfield battle to lose again

Alisson as a false 1

Kill ‘em that way, as the man says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I don't think that team is strong enough to get the job done. One goal from Benfica and it turns into a chaotic game and we have to bring on all the big lads in a pressure situation and time running out.

Start strong, get a goal and let the game peter out. Imagine going out and that was the starting team. This game is way bigger than the FA cup.

The only change I’d be making to it is maybe keeping Alisson in goal, but I see no reason why that team can’t get the job done. You still have our two best leaders, a world class front three and a solid, no-frills defence featuring the best centre back in the world.

I don’t feel too strongly either way about this to be perfectly honest, that’s the team I’d start but I can understand why others would take a different approach. Let’s see what Klopp does, I expect it’ll be a little stronger than what I expect, but not as strong as others do.

The one thing I would be adamant about is that I wouldn’t like to see Thiago starting, nor would I like to see him come on unless we’re being overrun in midfield. He’s absolutely world class, but he has to be managed carefully as he breaks down with the regularity of an early 2000s French automobile. We don’t stand a chance against City without him, and that game is very important as well, not just to advance to another cup final, but it can potentially damage City’s morale for the title run-in if we beat them well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I don't think we should take tomorrow for granted - we need to play a strong team, while also giving those close to the first 11 a run-out.

I'd go:

------------Allison

Trent---Konate---VVD---Tsimikas

Keita--Fabinho--Thiago

Mane--Firmino--Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Deffo....Benfica are limited but dangerous if we're any way complacent.

There's a nightmare scenario of getting dumped out tomorrow with a weakened side and then getting beat by City and Utd 😱😱😱😱

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Definitely against a team like City I think it is worth trying a counter attacking approach. No other team out there controls possession like City so it is difficult to compete with them in a straight up midfield battle. They are also by far the most dangerous team we have faced in terms of exploiting the weaknesses in how we normally set up. They have become comfortable in beating our press and once that happens they have the technical players in Gundogan, Foden, De Bruyne and Silva to create chances out of our high defensive line with precision passing.

On the other hand they have shown weakness against teams that have the ability to launch fast counter attacks. Spurs have shown how to get at them and we have players that are even more dangerous on the counter than Spurs and have better individual defenders. Spurs played 5 across the back and still created plenty of chances in their games against City. City are probably the only team I would completely change the setup for.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Origi off to AC Milan £10.5 Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s going on a free - the 10.5m is his own contract there I think.

Good move for him, with a few of their forwards ageing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just had a gander at the 2019 semi and final. Good luck to him. Some iconic goals on his CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are yellow cards wiped after this game or carried into the Semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They're wiped at the end of the quarters.

Our two lads need to avoid one tomorrow so they don't miss the first leg if we get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Chelsea match is a cracker, fans make such a difference in the stadiums. How did we manage during covid with the fake crowd noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I hope Chelsea win this, They have a better chance of beating City over to legs than Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Are we on TV3 tomorrow night?

Super match. Another atrocious VAR decision on Alonsos goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Villareal go 2-1 up on aggregate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Won't happen but in an ideal world we'd get Real in the final. We'd smash them to bits. City will obliterate them if they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We do our job tomorrow and we play the 7th best team in La Liga. We've had some decent results in who we've played in the cups.

I was wondering how good the Bundesliga was after the second best team got rolled by Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How so? We could see it touch his hand...

As I mentioned in the match thread I hate that rule, but it is the rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

number 7 incoming

Post edited by Joe Don Dante on

Do you know what though? We deserve the good fortune in the knockout stage draw after the group we were drawn into. We won all 6 matches in by far the toughest group in the competition and now we’re being rewarded with a favourable route to the final if we can get past Benfica and then do the job in the semis.

I have to say, I’m disappointed to see Bayern go out. Yes, they’d have been a big threat to us in the semis but it would’ve been a cracking tie in fairness.

Not taking a thing for granted against Emery though, he rolled us over in a Europa League final before and his Villarreal side look defensively rock solid. It’ll be two very tough ebenings coming up if we advance to the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yep that’s it! It touched his hand and that’s the rules! It’s **** that they differ from handball in a defensive situation but it’s the way it is! Clearly hit his hand so no goal

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

Thats bizzare talk imo. Over the moon they are knocked out.

Villarreal have reached the semis despite having four former Tottenham players, a former Arsenal player and manager…..and Alberto Moreno.

They should get a trophy for that alone, talk about doing it against all odds.

BOOK THE FLIGHTS BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP THE VILLARREAL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I was hoping Chelsea would sneak it because they would compete better with City and then I remember they are owned by Putin's friend. I hope the new owners run them into the ground!

Boom , pretty much my thought process on it. Feck them , hope they have a 50 year drought coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Liverpool are now favourites with the bookies to win the CL. Marginally ahead of City

City have that slightly harder route into the semi final first, and then a harder semi final, so that makes sense. If they make it to the final, they'll be favourites for sure though.

Chelsea probably would've given City more of a game, but Madrid V City is probably more interesting as a fixture, so I'm alright with it. We see enough English V English matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ah yes, Villarreal, I remember them....

Roll it there Roisin... 📽️

Delighted with Villarreal although Emry had some ridiculous 2 leg record. Something like 1 loss in 20 or something like that. They'll be sh1thouses

• Advertisement

Yup, and wicked on the counter. Hopefully we can do the business though (assuming we also do the business tomorrow night!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United beat them twice this season. I think we would all jump at having to play the 7th placed side in la Liga to get to a champions League final. Not writing off Villarreal but you couldn't ask for a better tie on paper atleast

Absolutely. And klopp will never underestimate them even if we all lose our minds.

Would love that group of lads to get another big medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looking at what happened tonight elsewhere... we would want to be solid as a rock going in tomorrow night, and I have no doubt we will, what with European night's at Anfield having that special aura around them... 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm getting sick of all this Pep is too smart nonsense. If he was so smart, why did he need to spend a billion pounds building a team or 50 million on a new full back every window? Why has he no wins in the Champions league final during his City tenure despite near infinite finances?

He's a good manager who only takes on already incredible teams, tinkers with them and somehow has this air of the Einstein of football about him. I for one don't think he's all that smart as I don't think he has it in him to take a scrappy 7th place finisher to big ears in a couple of seasons like Klopp did. I'd love to see him try with someone like Westham, Arsenal or Spurs and see how smart he is.

Edit: Thanks Jones for pointing out my forgetfulness. 🤭

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

City were in the champions League final last season. It is crazy they haven't won it yet considering how dominant they have been in the league in the last 5 years. I think pep does over think these big knockout games sure how many times has he shot his team in the foot with weird selections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In his defence, at least he admits it...

"Give Marcelo Bielsa my Barcelona team and you'll see how many trophies he'd win. Give me his Leeds team and I would probably still be in the Championship with them”

Advertisement