Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Keita's a write off lads.

He isn't going to deliver. He's had three years and hasn't, why would he start now? And it's not just because of injuries either. A typical Keita performance consists of starting the game well, vanishing after the 10 minute mark and then maybe re-appearing for a few mintues either side of half time before being pulled around the 65th minute. And that's his level regardless of how physically fit he is, or how long he's been available for selection. It baffles me that Klopp gave him as many chances as he did.

The talent's there but he clearly can't be bothered applying it. The fact that he only bothered to learn any English when he was facing the possibility of losing his Work Permit along with his performances on the pitch suggest a lazy personality to me. Balotelli in midfielder form.

If Athletico, or Leicester or anybody come in with actual money for this guy, we should cut our losses and let him go.

Thats one thing that always annoyed me a bit about Kieta. He was playing for Red Bull for 6 months after we signed him but he didnt use that time to learn even a bit of english. He should have been showing up on that first day with a vocabulary of 150-200 words just to get him off to a good start but reports said he didnt know any english at all from the get go.

And then even a year and a half after he was signed Klopp said in an interview that Kietas english was only then getting up to scratch, I couldntnt believe it when that came out. So it took around two years in total for his english to get to a point of where he could properly communicate with coaching staff. I kind of have a vision of Kieta standing there nodding his head to whatever coaches were telling him for two full seasons but he hadnt a bulls notion what they were on about most of the time.

He also seems to be mates with Mane in the squad and no one else. Both him and would be fluent in French so thats what they would speak all the time, again an opportunity missed to talk with native english speakers and learn the language.

I know some people find learning new languages really difficult and if they have a shy personality like Kieta seems to it can makes speaking it nerve racking. But when a club spends £50m buying a player the least you'd expect is a decent effort but Kieta didnt really seem to give one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Griezmann for €50m is being linked this afternoon.

One of the best in the world at that false 9 role that drops deep and works hard - but as Tobe's said, he's a bit auld to be moving for at this stage. It'd be one thing if the lads around him were young up and comers, but a 4th guy with a similar age profile to Bobby, Mane, and Mo doesn't sound like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fcuking hell, no way I’d want his brand of drama and arrogance anywhere near the Liverpool dressing room. Good footballer, absolutely toxic individual.

Milner and Henderson would have the lad on crutches within a month the way he carries on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Is that because Barca still owe 50 on coutinho deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

daheff wrote: »

Liverpool are owed nothing. Some crowd who bought the debt are owed the money

They don't owe us anything. They may owe something still to the refinancing company Liverpool sold the debt to, but selling us a player won't help that.

They're in massive debt, and he is on absolutely ludicrous wages. Like, insane wages that should never have been offered, and really never needed to be offered, it was just Barca doing their thing of making a big show of the deal. So i'd say at this stage they'd very much like that week (between 700k and 800k euros per week) off the wage bill.

The wages are another reason he won't be joining us though, he'd need to be willing to take a wage of around 25-35% of what he's on now.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ........ I kind of have a vision of Kieta standing there nodding his head to whatever coaches were telling him for two full seasons but he hadnt a bulls notion what they were on about most of the time.

Keita can speak German so presumably klopp was able to get through to him.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They don't owe us anything. They may owe something still to the refinancing company Liverpool sold the debt to, but selling us a player won't help that.

They're in massive debt, and he is on absolutely ludicrous wages. Like, insane wages that should never have been offered, and really never needed to be offered, it was just Barca doing their thing of making a big show of the deal. So i'd say at this stage they'd very much like that week (between 700k and 800k euros per week) off the wage bill.

The wages are another reason he won't be joining us though, he'd need to be willing to take a wage of around 25-35% of what he's on now.

I thought you mistyped those wages, and then I looked it up for myself.

People go on about Messi’s salary being obscene, but the money Griezmann is on really takes the croissant.

My respect for him has just increased tenfold knowing that he’s robbing them blind. I hope he stays there for the rest of his contract and cleans them out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Augeo wrote: »

I highly doubt if after nearly 4 years in England (plus 1 knowing he was coming) he can barely string a sentence together that with just 3 years in Austria/Germany he can speak German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say it's more down to Barca trying to clear there books and get in some money.

Griezmann, Dembele & Coutinho cost them over €350m they will be lucky to get €120m back from sales now.

The wages those three would be on well over a million a week combined and they gave a terrible return for the transfer fees.

Dembele 117 games 30 goals
    Griezmann 98 games 52 goals
    Coutinho 90 games 23 goals

305 games between them so they cost over a million a game in transfer fees with 105 goals between them or €3.3m a goal.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt if after nearly 4 years in England (plus 1 knowing he was coming) he can barely string a sentence together that with just 3 years in Austria/Germany he can speak German.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/minamino-reveals-how-keita-mane-are-helping-him-settle-at/19widmgotzczq18uwamm2nn9bf

Right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'd say it's more down to Barca trying to clear there books and get in some money.

Griezmann, Dembele & Coutinho cost them over €350m they will be lucky to get €120m back from sales now.

The wages those three would be on well over a million a week combined and they gave a terrible return for the transfer fees.

Dembele 117 games 30 goals
    Griezmann 98 games 52 goals
    Coutinho 90 games 23 goals

305 games between them so they cost over a million a game in transfer fees with 105 goals between them.

They had to finance a loan to pay wages. Their debt is growing and they need to clear all the deadwood. I’d love to know what the collateral for that loan is.

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/platform/amp/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumors-news/2021/5/18/22441898/barcelona-secure-100m-loan-to-pay-off-player-wages-report[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Augeo wrote: »

His German was very poor when at Leipzig, and that was after 2 years in Salzburg.

I'm pretty sure he speaks Mandinka with Sadio Mane.

Either way it's seriously unprofessional behaviour by Keita to not speak it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I thought you mistyped those wages, and then I looked it up for myself.

People go on about Messi’s salary being obscene, but the money Griezmann is on really takes the croissant.

My respect for him has just increased tenfold knowing that he’s robbing them blind. I hope he stays there for the rest of his contract and cleans them out. :D

I'd love to know what the story is with the people who negotiate wages at Barca, because across the board they're insane. Like, they offer wages that you'd think some backwater Russian oligarch club might need to offer to entice players - except Barca's profile and location are already one of the biggest draw's in the world, so they don't need to be paying way above and beyond the competition as well.

Look at Frenkie de Jong - joining as a kid from Ajax. He was probably on about 40k a week with them. What did Barca give him at about 21/22 years old? 400k a week. I'm sure he'd have bitten their hand off for less than half that! It feels like that Seth Johnson at Leeds story all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Football clubs can be so poorly run it's hard to name the worst but Barce must be in the conversation.
    It's like 1990s Leeds * 10 squared
    At some point even though there's a lot of money coming in, it's not enough.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the story is with the people who negotiate wages at Barca, because across the board they're insane. Like, they offer wages that you'd think some backwater Russian oligarch club might need to offer to entice players - except Barca's profile and location are already one of the biggest draw's in the world, so they don't need to be paying way above and beyond the competition as well.

Look at Frenkie de Jong - joining as a kid from Ajax. He was probably on about 40k a week with them. What did Barca give him at about 21/22 years old? 400k a week. I'm sure he'd have bitten their hand off for less than half that! It feels like that Seth Johnson at Leeds story all over again.

It could be a very long time away, but I’m fairly sure there’s going to be a cracking documentary on this era in Barcelona’s history. There has to be some utterly chaotic stuff going on at that club and we wouldn’t know a tenth of it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Goal!! Suarez!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I just noticed that the Spanish league doesn't have all of the games in the last match day at the same time, some of them are tomorrow. Is that not a bit unfair, some teams fighting relegation or for a European spot might get an advantage by knowing what result they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's amazing Barca are still going with the amount of money they have spent on players and continue to spend on wages, by all accounts they are massively in debt, but, are still being linked with some of the best players in the world. God knows where the money is coming from, for a normal club you'd expect everything to come chrashing down around them, but, similar to Madrid they continue to spend as if money is going out of fashion. Normal clubs would have long folded, but, not Barca or Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jasonb wrote: »
    I just noticed that the Spanish league doesn't have all of the games in the last match day at the same time, some of them are tomorrow. Is that not a bit unfair, some teams fighting relegation or for a European spot might get an advantage by knowing what result they need?

I haven't examined the La Liga fixtures in detail this year but previously they have split them such that no-one gains an advantage. It might be all the title chasing (or T4 chasing) teams in one slot, and the relegation battle in another slot.
    Some years because of overlap in games between title/T4 and relegation they've had them all on at the one time.
    They've been flexible about it.

In theory the EPL could have done the same - dead rubbers at 1pm and the crucial games at 4pm just to spread them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's amazing Barca are still going with the amount of money they have spent on players and continue to spend on wages, by all accounts they are massively in debt, but, are still being linked with some of the best players in the world. God knows where the money is coming from, for a normal club you'd expect everything to come chrashing down around them, but, similar to Madrid they continue to spend as if money is going out of fashion. Normal clubs would have long folded, but, not Barca or Madrid.

They very much appear to be treading water now. Bartomeu was given the boot and we'll have to see what Laporta does, but his brief is to get the finances under control so the club doesn't collapse.

Griezmann, Dembele, Coutinho, Pjanic, Pique, Busquets and probably a few others will be getting pushed out sooner rather than later, and that's probably the bones of €200m a year in wages off the books.

Messi gets paid 70m a year. I'm not sure exactly how that works, or whether they cover all that, but at any rate, he's leaving some time in the next 2 or 3 years. That's a Leicester's worth of wages to get off the books.

If they had any sense, they'd continue to rely on their young players, and La Masia graduates, keep their powder dry, focus on getting CL for a few years, before aiming to become competitive again when the good young players they have begin to hit their peaks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted that it was a Suarez goal that ended up winning the league.

Barca must really have needed that 8 million :D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted that it was a Suarez goal that ended up winning the league.

Barca must really have needed that 8 million :D

That’s just enough to cover Griezmann’s wages during the summer, when he’ll play zero competitive games for them.

You love to see it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

jasonb wrote: »

Seems that all the games that really matter are on today. The others may be dead rubbers.

Delighted for Atletico and Luis😀

• Advertisement

I wonder would Luis fancy a role next season as a super sub replacement for club legend Origi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I wonder would Luis fancy a role next season as a super sub replacement for club legend Origi.

Tbh Luis could be starting with Mo if it was to happen, his talent isn't going anywhere.

Suarez and Salah as a front two would be really interesting to watch, to be fair. Can’t ever see that happening, but even with Suarez being as slow as a HSE waiting list these days, I think it could work.

Can't disagree with one word of this.
    Klopp pays tribute to Gini Wijnaldum in his final programme notes of the season :

"He is an architect of our success. We have built this Liverpool on his legs, lungs, brain and his huge, beautiful heart."

Would he be happy to be a bit part player, and would Liverpool pay the wages he would want for a sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Can't disagree with one word of this.

One of our best signings in recent years and moving him into CM was a master stroke since he usually played out wide for PSV and Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just for anyone thinking of getting some Liverpool gear Nike have quite a bit of stuff reduced on their website. You can get an additional 30% off using the code Summer21.

The players version of the home kit is reduced from €140 to €59 with all the discounts.

Good selection of training gear available.

https://www.nike.com/ie/w/mens-sale-liverpool-fc-clothing-3yaepz6ymx6z98py8znik1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Will be nice to see the fans back tomorrow, especially to give Wijnaldum a good send-off. He's had a fantastic few years at the club and will go down as club legend.

I wonder could Ox play the Bobby role.

I really hope Ox stays, I like the way he plays and I like the way he goes about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gbear wrote: »
    They very much appear to be treading water now. Bartomeu was given the boot and we'll have to see what Laporta does, but his brief is to get the finances under control so the club doesn't collapse.

Griezmann, Dembele, Coutinho, Pjanic, Pique, Busquets and probably a few others will be getting pushed out sooner rather than later, and that's probably the bones of €200m a year in wages off the books.

Messi gets paid 70m a year. I'm not sure exactly how that works, or whether they cover all that, but at any rate, he's leaving some time in the next 2 or 3 years. That's a Leicester's worth of wages to get off the books.

If they had any sense, they'd continue to rely on their young players, and La Masia graduates, keep their powder dry, focus on getting CL for a few years, before aiming to become competitive again when the good young players they have begin to hit their peaks.

The spanish model (or is it just Barce and Real? ) is stupid imo. Regular elections that just invite it to be a political thing where people promise more and more and encourage this stupid spending they cant afford.

Depends if Alisson is willing to baptise him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Mane scores against Crystal Palace tomorrow he will be the first player in the history of the Premier League to score in eight consecutive times against the same team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The spanish model (or is it just Barce and Real? ) is stupid imo. Regular elections that just invite it to be a political thing where people promise more and more and encourage this stupid spending they cant afford.

But fan ownership would solve all of footballs problems. 😜🀪🀪 If those emojis don't work they're joke faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.
    Please don't **** up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

More asterisks than our Premier League title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

So is it going to be a comfortable afternoon, where we go 2 or 3 nil up after half an hour and we can relax for the afternoon or are we going to be clinging on to a 1-0 or watching Alisson make his way up the field for a last minute corner!
    No doubt we'll do things the hard way and just to add to the tension Leicester will probably get off to a flyer with a few quick goals against Spurs.

2 nil up in the first 20 minutes and Spurs up by the same would be acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Our form has improved, but our overall play hasn't. Expect a nervy start with many missed chances to scream at. Allison to pass to their strikers, ball over the top, Gini on the beach already, **** sake Sadio, major overhaul needed, etc all in the first half hour.

One goal in the first half could be for us or for them. Then Liverpool come out storming second half and win 3-1. Gini plays a blinder and we all cry when he does his lap of honor. Mane won't score though.

I hope I’m wrong, but I expect there to be bite marks on the back of my couch by full time.

I really hope Leicester make it instead of Chelsea, and Chelsea win the CL final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hope Mane and Salah get a couple each.

Mane to get some confidence back before summer.
    Salah to get ahead of Kane for the Golden Boot.

Today has the feeling of a cup final, don't know why, but I've rarely been this jittery about a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

he was never good enough for liverpool he's a decent manager at a certain level unfortunately we were at his level when he joined

gimli2112 wrote: »
    he was never good enough for liverpool he's a decent manager at a certain level unfortunately we were at his level when he joined

Inter Milan is a pretty high level, wouldn’t you say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

Dav010 wrote: »
    Inter Milan is a pretty high level, wouldn’t you say?

I think there's a quote summing up his time there as "He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible"

Liverpool were in a bad place before he became their manager and he was not the one destined to bring it back from the bleakness.

Advertisement