Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

While we have a chance of winning everything their fans are living in absolute misery. It's been a long time coming but having suffered the 90s and 00s I must say this is a truly wonderful time to be a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Everton at the weekend. Konate is a certainty for this game - not only to give Matip another rest ahead of the CL game but he's a huge threat from set-pieces offensively and Everton are one of, if not the, worst teams in the PL at defending them. It could be carnage!

Tsimikas will also come in, most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't think of a more complete midfielder in the game at the minute, he has everything, even defensively he was outstanding last night.

The only critics he ever has was of opposition teams, who simply don't watch our games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Exactly. What I saw from him last night was what I saw from him in his MOTM performance in Bayern's CL final win over PSG in 2020.

How anyone with an ounce of credibility could gauge him on Liverpool's farcical 20/21 season is beyond me - missed pre-season as he got back late and was on international duty with Spain, he got covid straight after, then played a game and a half before being assaulted by an Everton player which put him out for months. By the time he came back the team had no CB's left and his fellow midfielders were playing in that position instead. He was actually very good in the final 10 games of the season to really help get us over the line. But he was signed to do what he did last night and at the weekend against City. That's the real Thiago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thiago gave an absolute exhibition last night. Hard to think of a better performance by a player in recent years.

His little flick and turn up and away from Fernandez in the second half was truly sublime, a real 'you've been schooled' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I know the general consensus is that referees hate us but how the hell was Keita not sent off last night?? We got very lucky, it would have been a major blow if he was to get a 3 game ban. We will need a fair bit of rotation in that area between now and the end of the season and in fairness to him he has come into a bit a form at the right time. I dont know what he was thinking.

I remember when Henderson was stupidly sent off near the end of the 3-2 game against Man City when we going for the league under Rodgers and I think it is often an undermentioned point when it left us very light in midfield in the next few games especially against Chelsea where his energy was sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you'll indulge me a few moments ...

There are so many things I could say about last night.

The joy. Or the swagger. Or the ease with which it was done. Or the vindication of the torture my teenage self went through in the 90s and 00s when Alex Ferguson tortured me, and so my school days were tortured.

But if you'll let me, I feel that I have to write about Thiago Alcantara.

I was both shocked and overjoyed when he signed. Outside of Liverpool, he was just about my favourite football player. From the outside, he looked more like an artist than he did a football player. 10 years ago I could only dream of that standard of player being at Liverpool. I just thought he was the sort that you couldn't even think of joining. And then he did.

After joining a team shorn of all its centre backs, with no Anfield crowd, and little stability in the team, he was often expected to rise above the chaos and still orchestrate. We all know how long it can take, especially midfield players, to understand what is expected of them in a Klopp system. He'd try to play too deep. He'd try passes that weren't on. He'd dwell too long. He looked ever so slightly lost. Rival fans jumped on it, saying he was a 'pointing merchant'. 'He doesn't score. He doesn't assist'. 'What does he do?'

Injuries also played their part.

But my Christ, what we are seeing from him this season, and especially since January, is other-worldy, in terms of what I've ever seen from a Liverpool midfielder.

Now, I'm not going to go as far as to say he's the best in the world. I still think that is Kevin de Bruyne. But right now, for what we need, I wouldn't swap him for anyone else. Gary Neville said he 'took the píss' last night. And he did. It was domination. He had Bruno running in literal circles.

I truly believe that him staying fit is key to how many trophies we actually end up with. A phenomenon of a football player, and I honestly still can't believe he's ours. Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah have long been the spine on which our success rests. We've tended to live or die by their fitness and performances over the last few years. I still believe that to be the case. But the sprinkling of stardust and control that Thiago brings may just bring us more trophies this season than we ever really thought possible.

In short, if I was to choose to play in the style of any football player in the world right now, it would be Thiago Alcantara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

My big worry for the weekend is injuries. Everton have shown in the past that when they don’t have the ability to complete they love to throw some horrible challenges in in the name of “passion”. I’ll be very happy to come out of that game with the squad intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Because when you slow it down it looks bad, it was an innocent attempt to play the ball the United player slid in from nowhere and got there first. VAR looked at it and deemed it not a red card, it seems VAR didn't look at Brunos above knee challenge so you could say it was evened out in the one game.

• Advertisement

I know we give about the VAR decisions that have gone against us, but I think that was one Keita was very lucky to get away with. Looked a bad tackle and sending off to me.

The Keita one was a red. all day long.

you can't mistime those things in the modern game. it's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I'll have to disagree and it is obviously subjective as Graeme Souness and Roy Keane disagreed with VAR also. I think if Referee thinks it is a red, VAR doesnt change his mind. Thankfully the call went our way and we dodged a bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I thought both were red. Fernandes could have done serious damage to Trent's knee if he hadn't seen it coming and had time to react and lift his leg up. That minimised the impact and prevented a serious injury. There was no attempt at a tackle.

Keita was lucky. Studs up in a lunging motion and he made contact with the leg in a way that made it look like a stamp. The only thing in his favour was that he didn't appear out of control. Don't think intent would be a factor though. It was stupid and reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

He was probably helped by the fact that it looked clumsy with no actual intent, and that the refereeing team looked like they had decided that at that stage a red card could have had the game descend into farce - they were happy enough to dish out yellows and close the game out without too much drama. Utd could have had a couple of reds in the closing stages too.

Still though, definitely goes in the ‘got away with one’ pile.

Another game where it was tight or different ref he could have gotten a red and VAR would not have have changed it either. Just goes to show how subjective the refs see the game. As mcfly said I think the refs took into account the game was over and just wanted to see it out without redcards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Okay that's fair enough. I'm no fan.

But I always saw him as pro Liverpool. As editor of The Mirror he was always pushing for Justice for the 96 at the time. Always on the side of the families. As for the hacking of celebrities ect, he was questioned more than once by police on this and the result was he had knowledge of it when he was editor, that he never knew about it, or ordered it. It was all third party rogue individuals. He was never charged, he'd not have gone on to be front and center of ITV for so many years if he was responsible.

He would also question those getting Knighted, while Kenny Dalglish was not, ''Kenny Dalglish, a wondrous footballer & man who helped heal a whole city, I'm really struggling to identify a single ****ing reason he was not Knighted''

He is Sir Kenny now of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watch it again, what saved him was his foot was actually moving backwards like he was trying to back heel the ball. It was a poor challenge and clumsy and could of had no complaints if he did get a red though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So the challenge for us all right now is to live in the moment between now and the end of the season. I've been struggling with that recently - when every single game is a MUST win and pretty much every single match looks difficult in its own way, it is hard not to be looking ahead all the time. While we were beating Benfica I was worrying about City. While we were beating City I was thinking about Utd. No doubt when we're playing Everton I'll be worrying about Villareal, etc.

If I could, I would stop football right here forever. The present moment is perfect. We have a fantastic team with tons of strength in reserve. Our manager is a walking immortal, and the club is in a strong place off the field. We're competing for everything, with every game from here to the end of the season an epic must-win encounter. You can dream about winning everything and City dropping a couple of games and ending in perfection.

Of course, we're sure to lose a couple of games somewhere and end up with maybe two trophies rather than four. And once the season is over, we'll be thinking about Salah's contract, transfers, etc. So today, with Utd conquered and in the worst state of my time as a conscious observer of the sport - this is probably the best football will ever be. Liverpool is pretty much perfect, and being a Liverpool fan is pretty much perfect, and I don't want it to end. I never imagined Liverpool could be this good and Utd could be this bad. The present situation heals all the agonies of my youth following the sport - really the past half-decade. I am content.

I'm not even a bit concerned. I don't think they can get near us. Lampard isn't a passion merchant - for all his faults, he wants his team to play. it doesn't suit them to 'fight'.

I'm pretty sure the team will be close to:

Alisson

Trent Konate Virgil Tsimikas

Fabinho Keita Henderson

Salah Jota Mane

We'll go all out to have it won by 60 minutes. then resting Fabinho and Trent will hopefully be given priority.

i don't think he'll rest Salah or Mane yet. they need to keep that goalscoring rhythm now, and they're the biggest beasts we have in terms of natural fitness. i reckon he might have the 2nd leg of Villareal earmarked as a possible place to only give them 20 or 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

Craziest stat I have heard from last night, Alisson completed more passes than the entire Man Utd midfield.

40,000 tickets available for fans for the CL final. Massive stadium and that's all they'll make available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Agreed. I think he may well be the best passer of the ball I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. The way he hits it is so unique, I've never seen the like of it before. Alonso, Gerrard, Trent - all excellent. But Thiago is a step above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Although I think that the allocation should be higher as someone who has attended a CL final as a neutral it's great for fans of smaller clubs/countries to experience! Unfortunately it'll probably 30,000 corporate tickets and 10,000 neutral fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Souness talking out his rear again....

Salah has 12 assists so far this season... 😂

I think it's a criticism that could have been thrown at Salah in the past, but I have noticed a change in him over the last 18 months. He has been much more open to passing the ball to others, particularly Mane, when they are in a better position. All great goal-scorers are somewhat greedy anyway. But I think he has a good balance of greed and also choosing the right option. And it shows in his assists.

It's 20,000 for each set of fans and 35,000-40,000 for the rest. I'd say you're not far off on 30,000 corporate.

• Advertisement

Madness really. It should be 35,000 for each set of fans and 10k corporate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The break down for the 75k tickets.

20k to one team.

20k to the other.

12k to worldwide fans.

23k to corporate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

You can apply for them now. I just have. Obviously we have to get there but if we do I'd prefer Real in the final, but if City make it, it might make it easier to get a ticket even if its in their end. They probably won't sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There could be worse ways of getting a ticket than by travelling over to Paris and wandering around in a City shirt, if one could stomach the thought of it. They’ll be handing them out like sweets over there as they don’t have enough support to actually fill their own end.

Applied for the general sale ballot on UEFA myself, as I do every year it’s on. I’d never stand a chance of getting a ticket through the club so it’s nice that there’s even a little hope of one here.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Lucky enough to be there last night. The most fun match I've been to for years, completely stress free. Never seen us show so little respect to an opponent, it was joyous

Nothing much to add to what everyone else said, but seeing Thiago in person when he's like that... holy crap! 😀

I was in the upper main, which doesn't always have the best atmosphere but it was bouncing almost all match, just brilliant

I thought the applause and YNWA for Ronaldo was very genuine, and very moving

The 8:30 flight home this morning was very hard work after a few celebratory drinks in town last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Brighton have the 18th best home record in the league but have the 6th best away record, with them only losing three. Hopefully they can give City a game at least.

Brighton giving a good account of themselves, getting stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'd say there's more Liverpool fans watching city tonight that city fans! How many empty seats!

Anyway, city will win handy, they are all over them like a rash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Weirdly, the last ten minutes has been all Brighton.

At least Brighton are trying to play when they get it but they havn't had a shot, the last ten minutes of the half have been Brighton's best. City more of the ball as you'd expect but also havn't created much.

It's keeping us interested at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Come on Brighton.

Another 45mins to hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Fair play to Brighton, not enough teams put it up to City like that. I expect them to tire and lose but they've acquitted themselves better than most.

Brighton would be so much further up the table if they had a decent goal scorer.

Potter has them playing great stuff there.

Bah a few bobbles and it breaks for Mahrez and he gets a deflection to help.

Lucky goal, but hard to say it wasn’t deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Brighton came out playing after the break, and got hit on the break. They should have just sat in like in first half, o well, 1 -0 .

Tight game though.

As long as Brighton don't concede again. Let's see if City get a little nervous in the last 10-15 minutes.

Game over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement