Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

For the short term future of the club with the financials announced recently, this game is probably one of the most important we've ever had,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

If Hodgeson was a bad manager he wouldn't be in charge of a premier league club at his age. Not the right fit for Liverpool but undoubtedly good at this job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Dav010 wrote: »
    Inter Milan is a pretty high level, wouldn’t you say?

yeah that's about his ceiling, still not good enough for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I remember the Middlesbrough 4-0 win to get top 4 on the last day of the season and for 45 mins thing that the players had bottled it against an already relegated side. Arsenal were beating Everton at the time so were taking the spot instead. Lovren nearly gave away a penalty. VAR would probably have given it these days. Then Gini burst through the box on the stroke of half time and scored. Lift off. Then the lads did a quick burst after the break and scored a couple more to really relax everyone.

IIRC the Brighton game was a lot more relaxed and they just spread the goals throughout the team. But again, the relaxing came after the opening goal while dominating throughout.

The Wolves win was kind of straight forward, all while Man City were losing and pandemonium at the time.

For me the key is to staying relaxed as possible in the first half ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

To come back from this would be remarkable. Excited for the game, and still a little bit in shock that we have something to play for on the final day.

joj8exv6rs071.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/434914-captain-s-message-final-day-return-of-fans-and-wonderful-wijnaldum

Interesting comments from Hendo saying it may or may not be Gini final game for us being honest saying it is a contract situation, and if it is his last match how good he is etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Dav010 wrote: »
    Inter Milan is a pretty high level, wouldn’t you say?

He got them bottom of the league and basically did what he did at Fulham while also driving Roberto Carlos out of the team.

He didn't like Liverpool as a club and he didn't like the fans. He arrived at a time when financial catastrophe was about to hit and the dressing room was in a mess.

Instead of trying to get the fans on side he basically said to fans your club is in sh1te and I'm here to manage the decline so pipe down.

He never successfully managed a top side and he would have been happy to keep us mid table for years.

I think that's a fair assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He got them bottom of the league and basically did what he did at Fulham while also driving Roberto Carlos out of the team.

He didn't like Liverpool as a club and he didn't like the fans. He arrived at a time when financial catastrophe was about to hit and the dressing room was in a mess.

Instead of trying to get the fans on side he basically said to fans your club is in sh1te and I'm here to manage the decline so pipe down.

He never successfully managed a top side and he would have been happy to keep us mid table for years.

I think that's a fair assessment.

And every single public utterance he made during his (mercifully) brief tenure backs this up. Lovely man, great servant to the game and all that but completely out of his depth when we appointed him. Still doesn't feel real somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Last match day squads for Gini, Adrian, Shaq, Origi I'd imagine before they leave in the summer.

Milner maybe as well he going to join Leeds :)

The two January signings as well no doubt Kabak & Davies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Last match day squads for Gini, Adrian, Shaq, Origi I'd imagine before they leave in the summer.

Milner maybe as well he going to join Leeds :)

The two January signings as well no doubt Kabak & Davies.

Unless they are leaving on frees, I really can't see too many clubs having the money to be purchasing this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

There's a few rumblings going round that Gini may yet stay.
    If he is left go then it's a massive, massive fail from the club. Our most consistent performer for probably 3 years. Professional like a young James Milner. He also seems to be a huge figure in the dressing room.

I'd be asking him what he wants and giving it to him.
    It'll cost 50/60m to replace him with similar quality, more wages than he's currently on and no guarantee that the signing will work out.
    A very uninspiring signing from Newcastle turned out to be one of our most important players of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hodgson only got the job because no one else would go near it at the time, he was the best of a bad lot who were willing to take on the job, he was always just a short term appointment until the next manager came along, it just went a lot worse than anyone expected and relegation was a real possibility if he was given the full season. Dalglish came in and almost immediately turned things around. We were one of the better teams in the league in the second half of the season.
    Hodgson's time is probably the nadir both on and off the field for the club absolutely desperate. He's a decent footballing man and by all accounts a gentleman, but, he was a disaster at Liverpool.

I think the Gini might stay stories are coming from the Barca deal not looking like it's going to happen and his agent trying to shop him around to a few clubs like Munich and Juve who didn't seem interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

.red. wrote: »
    If he is left go then it's a massive, massive fail from the club. Our most consistent performer for probably 3 years. Professional like a young James Milner. He also seems to be a huge figure in the dressing room.

It'll cost 50/60m to replace him with similar quality, more wages than he's currently on and no guarantee that the signing will work out.
    A very uninspiring signing from Newcastle turned out to be one of our most important players of the last few years.

He wanted a 4-5 year contract whereas the club wanted to give him a 3-4 year contract. I don't think there was an issue over the wage but rather the length.

Don't see any issue with that because you don't want to be paying huge money to a 34-35 year old especially when they may not play as much anymore.

There was nothing stopping him signing the 3 year contract and then getting another 1-2 year deal in another two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He wanted a 4-5 year contract whereas the club wanted to give him a 3-4 year contract. I don't think there was an issue over the wage but rather the length.

Don't see any issue with that because you don't want to be paying huge money to a 34-35 year old especially when they may not play as much anymore.

There was nothing stopping him signing the 3 year contract and then getting another 1-2 year deal in another two years.

The club could go out and replace him for 50m and end up with a dud like Keita.
    Gini has proven his worth, he's been on a ridiculously low wage compared to the rest of the squad, earning less than half of some of the bench warmers.
    His contract is less of a gamble than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a much tougher decision than that I think... can't get away from the fact that he's 30, and that Thiago and Henderson will also be aging out at the same time. That can't be allowed to happen, so whatever way you do it, decisions need to be made on which of those are leaving (same goes for the trio up front). Players age, teams need to be refreshed... it's not nice but it's reality. Thiago's already on a long term deal, and Hendo's is coming up - if I had to pick between them I'd pick Hendo over Gini, as much as I love Gini.

Then on top of that, you have a guy asking for a 4 year contract on big money, when he's just had his worst season for us. Everyone has been bad obviously, but Gini's game is hugely based on his physicality, and that waned noticeably this year. Even if that's just a blip, and he's better next year, it's only a matter of time before his game becomes demonstrably less effective, in a way that someone like Thiago's (or Alonso, or Pirlo, or Xavi etc) doesn't.

I'd love to keep him for 2 more years anyway, but if he's refusing anything under 4, then what can ya do? Hopefully they can find a compromise.

The club could go out and replace him for 50m and end up with a dud like Keita.
    Gini has proven his worth, he's been on a ridiculously low wage compared to the rest of the squad, earning less than half of some of the bench warmers.
    His contract is less of a gamble than others.

It's a huuuuuge gamble. He may have been undervalued on his previous contract, but that's sort of irrelevent now. What you're faced with is a 30 year old, off the back of his worst season, looking physically slower, and asking for 190k a week for 4 years.

(I'm also not sure what bench warmer you think is earning more than double him? He's on 90k a week as it stands, it's not peanuts like...).

I'M EXCITED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

I feel the same way about Gini going as when we let lucas leiva go. Not a star name but does a sh1t load of the donkey work is well liked and gives a 7 or 8 out of 10 each week

Nice to have them back in the squad.

Jota might be a break glass option maybe. Don't think Henderson will play myself after so long out.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1396460526419554304?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jota named , he's good to go

Great to see Henderson back

Great, Jota's a nice option to have on the bench, just in case.

And good to have Hendo there too, hopefully can come in for the last 5 with a comfortable lead!

Henderson is clearly fit, Klopp doesn't do half fit players making the bench. Start him

Henderson is clearly fit, Klopp doesn't do half fit players making the bench. Start him

He does it quite a lot though... this year especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’ve been/am one on Gini’s biggest fans, he’s been incredibly underrated on an English/world scale and even by some fans. Gary Neville said a few months back he was the most underrated player in the league and I’d definitely go along with that. He’s an absolute machine and I have no idea how he kept on going there a few months back around the international break.

BUT if the rumours of him looking for 200k a week + a 4 year deal are true I’m not too sure I think that’d be great business by us. There’s no guarantee he’ll be as injury free over the next 4 years as he has been in the previous 4. Plus his position requires legs, which will inevitably fade half way through his contract.

It may sound odd to say but his position is probably the easiest to replace too, it’s not like Salah, VVD or Ali. We could probably pick up Tielemans, Ndidi or Bissouma for half the wages and 4/5 years younger.

As much as I love Gini, I think the soft transition of trying to decrease the average age of the team should probably start with replacing him.

Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, R. Williams, Robertson; Thiago, Fabinho, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Mane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hendo on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

The trim on the jersey literally changes colour every time I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A lot of players on the bench returning from injury, hopefully we won't really need them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Origi doesn't make the bench

Origi is the type for a game like today. 90th minutes, comes off the bench to score.

• Advertisement

Origi is the type for a game like today. 90th minutes, comes off the bench to score.

We've already got a player taking the field to cover that eventuality :D

robwen wrote: »

Them missing Benteke and Eze is a big boost for us anyway, two of their form players.

Just watching Aguero being interviewed there now 10 years living in Manchester and doesn't speak English and never bothered to learn so Keita taking a few years to learn isn't that bad at all then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just watching Aguero being interviewed there now 10 years living in Manchester and doesn't speak English and never bothered to learn.

A Cod, Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just watching Aguero being interviewed there now 10 years living in Manchester and doesn't speak English and never bothered to learn so Keita taking a few years to learn isn't that bad at all then.

He must speak some. How would Pep manage the team talk before or during the match. He hardly has a translator for each player !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jebidiah wrote: »
    The trim on the jersey literally changes colour every time I see it.

I've yet to see it when it looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

what station is the game on?

ballyargus wrote: »

Just wondering that myself, may have to take a flight to US and A

Ended up in Egypt, It's on Beinsports from what I can see so far...

ballyargus wrote: »
    Fieldog wrote: »

Sky sports main event. But not until 15.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Fieldog wrote: »

How was the flight? Any chance of an old link to the ehmmm pictures you have. Be much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Damien360 wrote: »
    He must speak some. How would Pep manage the team talk before or during the match. He hardly has a translator for each player !

Augero speaks Spanish so I'm sure if Augero has no English Pep can give him his instruction that way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Definitely the best look alike around.

Damien360 wrote: »
    How was the flight? Any chance of an old link to the ehmmm pictures you have. Be much appreciated

It's on my IPTV, flicked over to Sky Main Event instead so I can hopefully hear some Tyler groans....

• Advertisement
Advertisement