Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Fan ownership would be a bit like this thread. Some being sensible and some living in cloud cuckoo land, a bit like barcas last board. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Somebody here may have better memories of this. But I seem to remember Aldridge attempting to get a fan based ownership model off the ground, possibly based on Barca. It was either just before or during the Hicks and co debacle. Up until very recently I would have believed this is the best model but a quick look at Barca now would tell me it’s prone to going all wrong.

Wages (principal costs) are pulling clubs apart. The only solution I see long term for everyone is a club cap on wages the same for everyone in the PL but I am unsure how that would work europe wide with the CL. Something like the US (that is not good either) but let’s say a maximum spend on wages of x hundred million per year on your entire squad, no strange sponsorships to get around it without massive financial hits. You could pay your star player half that maximum if you like but then the rest of the squad has to share the other half. It would likely be against all sorts of EU employment laws.

There is an attempt to get a handle on the agents fees next year but wages are the elephant in the room.

Clubs like Utd could argue they have the income to match the wages but a maximum would allow clubs to get a handle on their outgoings and in time with new owners (knowing the true costs) it may bring far more competition. Again CL is the unknown factor here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm not sure, but there has been a few articles in past week or so about Liverpool seeking to improve upon their current deal, and that they are in talks with various parties

''However, the Reds could have a new sponsor on the front of their shirts as soon as the season after next, with talks ongoing over a potential change.

According to The Athletic Liverpool “have already held preliminary talks with other companies,” though “discussions are [also] ongoing” with Standard Chartered.''

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/04/liverpool-in-talks-over-new-shirt-sponsor-worth-over-40m-a-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Firstly you gave figures that does not seem to correspond to reality when it comes to our net spend, and now you try to misrepresent my post. That is not a good look when you want to be taken seriously.

I never mentioned we will be a soulless club so I have no idea how you come to that. I don't want to lose Salah but I don't want the club to become unsustainable. I showed one big example how a club that made a lot more money than we do got itself into deep trouble. The interesting thing is those saying to pay Salah what he is worth has not shown one example of a club where this has worked out for the club. Maybe we can be the first, but when it comes to a bunch of egos and money hungry agents, I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I only noticed I said 92m instead of 192m. Pretty obvious that was a typo but you clinging to that repeatedly in some way to undermine my other points that capture the essence of your comments perfectly . You are very negative in terms of interacting with posters here with rather passive aggressive remarks about been taken seriously and some earlier remarks as well. You seem utterly baffled people can have different opinions to you so will leave it there and hope for a good result tomorrow . I’m sure we can agree to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

hadn't realised AWB was dropped and just a few months ago he was being compared favourably to our right back, neither of them good enough for England of course

The reason why I harp on about it, we are all faceless and behind screens here. I cannot see whether someone is just trying to get a rise out of people by posting deliberately incendiary posts or not. So I take the information someone posts seriously to gauge how serious the poster is. If you post factual information in a post that I don't agree with, you are not going to get a confrontational reply. If you post information that is not correct then do not address that post it will get a different response.

Your figures of 192m does not correspond with any figures I can find either, but there is a website that has the net spend for the past 5 years that lists ours as £92m, but it only looks at the 5 years from 2013 to 2018? That is why I said I am open to be corrected.

Look, we all make mistakes, if you did have a look at the new figures and see if it reshapes your argument about our owners. I don't think it will but if the facts change at the very least you have to reassess. The points you seemed to want to drive home is our owners are not willing to spend money, yet we saw with Diaz when the right player is there we will spend money. Maybe there was no defenders available to suit our style at the time, hence we did not spend the money. Seeing as we would have needed to buy 2 CB's as we had lost 3, we would now have been stuck with 2 CB's that would have been 5th and 6th choice behind our current 4.

At the time most thought it was terrible and the club should just have bought someone, anyone, to replace the injured players. But nobody ever came up with names other than it should have been done at the time. These owners may not be to everyone's liking, but they have run a successful baseball team in a tough environment. Their team has been one of the highest spenders due the the team making lots of money, spend what you earn. But they have not been the highest since they took over. That team, the Yankees, has not been nearly as successful as the Red Sox. They know what they are doing, is all we are trying to say. You may not agree with the way they are going about it, but ask any fan of a club other than City, Chelsea and now Newcastle and they will tell you they would take our owners in a heartbeat.

I do agree, we all just want a good result today. I am confident if we play to our potential we will get one. Even if it doesn't work out this season and we only end up with one trophy, what a ride it has been! That is all you can ask for, to be in the running when they hand out the trophies at the end of the year and we have been fortunate fans the past 4 years.

I see why Southgate chooses Reece James ahead of TAA, he is more suited to playing with a back 3 that Southgate prefers as he plays that way with Chelsea. I would like to see how James would do in our system, I suspect he would be found out just as much. The same for any RB that would be asked to play as TAA is asked to do for us. That is not to say he doesn't make mistakes, but the hysteria about his defending goes over the top by pundits.

He was a youngster that was targeted his first big match and now that tag seemed to have stuck to him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This must be the first Merseyside Derby in ages where Everton are more likely to pick up a red card than a goal.

A thoroughly unimpressive Liverpool win and no injuries would do just fine for me. No doubt one or two of the Everton lads will be wanting to make their mark on the title race though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbh, they will more than likely try injure someone just to show some pashun right. Liverpool are way too strong for them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, 3 points, don't care how, no injuries and move on to the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I remember when they interviewed Seamus Coleman after them beating us last season and openly admitted how painful it’s been for some player at Everton watching Liverpool success under klopp. That only confirmed to me the likes of Pickford and Richardilson purposely went out to hurt Thiago and VVD in that game at Everton last season. Plenty may not agree but This game is as far from a write off as many saying .

They are literally fighting for their premiership survival and to stop us winning the league so they will never be more motivated. It’s will be a miracle is we get 3 points and zero injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never really minded Everton tbh but after last year and VVD/Pickford I want nothing more this season than their relegation...... maybe the Champions League as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Team vs Everton:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold

Matip

van Dijk

Robertson

Fabinho

Thiago

Keita

Salah

Mane

Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I didn't expect full strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Hopefully a clean bill of health and 3 points from today's game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Happy wirh the team.

Would love to Hammer them into Relegation zone today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Would rest Thiago myself. I actually have more fear than excitement for this match.

No injuries please, gotta beat these. They are muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I expect Richarlison to have more dirty nasty over the top tackles than chances at goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

They're already in it, with Burnley winning!

I do worry that'll light a fire under them. As everyone else said, 3pts, no injuries, go home, that's all I want from this match

Damn it - don't fancy that midfield against chopper Everton. I don't think we should risk Thiago here or even Naby lad. A perfect game for Hendo surely. Looks like Henderson is really slipping down the pecking order this year. Hopefully he'll get two or three more chances at trophy lift dances this year 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Thing with Hendo is he's our only viable player we can use to give Fabinho a rest so I'd imagine that's a big part of him not starting, can drop him in at 6 to give Fab a rest from time to time for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Liverpool - Everton

Liverpool Over 2.5 Team Goals @ 8/11

Red Card @ 9/2

I'd love Origi to come on and get a goal in his final derby match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Were some of the Everton players sniffing smelling salts before they came out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We're looking a bit stodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

TAA very wasteful so far, sloppy all round, hasn't settled down yet

• Advertisement

Two things so far.

Naby is having one of his off days it seems.

Anthony Gordon is a cheat. And that's not just going by these first 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

These lads are going to talk to the ref and delay at every break in play but we need to up the pace of play, no pop to our passing.

Thiago is going to be key.

So little space. Everything squeezed into the final third.

Kieta might as well not be out there. We are either unable to get the ball to him or he's taking up some very poor positions.

Great to see the ref book a cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Young player to be fair. Mane and Salah in particular have had that in their game previously too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just noticed Premier League winner Andy Lonergan is on the bench for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Atwell standing right beside the dive and issues an immediate yellow card to Gordon. Couldn't be more obvious. Tyler exclaims "well, we've seen penalties given... " 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ref needs to stamp out the time wasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Lampard following the Mourinho 14 blueprint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Midfielders and defenders need a rocket, moving at over 75s pace getting it back to front. They're retreating to their box and we're playing 20 sideways passes up the field letting them get set.

Everton are dragging this match down to their level.

I don't blame Everton for the gamesmanship. But faking a head injury is a bit much.

We desperately need a goal before half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Very annoying player himself and Gordan spend most of their time on their backside

• Advertisement

Henderson would be itching to get on that pitch and rattle some cages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Worrying half

Scenes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s not football this shower showed up to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Awful. If heading the ball caused Richardson to collapse then he should have been forced off for a HIA.

And here we go again

• Advertisement
Advertisement