Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

No question Hendo hasn't been Mr consistent week in week out this year for a number of reasons but if he's fit and given the specific job of closing down the right hand side and covering for TAA I wouldn't give the task to anyone else, he is such a professional and committed player he'll 100% deliver the task he's asked to do, he's the epitome of a club captain who will do whatever is asked of him for the greater good of the team. No way VJr gets past him the same way VJr got past Fernandinho tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we do make the final I'd rather play City. Better the devil you know and I still think we are better than city at our best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Hendo either. He can't do it at his own high standard for 2 games in quick succession at the moment, but if you plan his appearances to give him one big game a week if needed, he'll kill it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This is a huge guess on my part but I have feeling Henderson is on pain killing injections and probably cannot play the way he used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But he has only been playing one game a week and hasn’t been killing it. He’s been playing at about 60% of his best for a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd be sound with Henderson pressing and closing opponents etc down his wing, in front of him, but a big weakness that has come into his game in the last year has been letting midfielder runners run past him into the space behind him and exposing Trent more than he should be. There has been a couple of examples, but Leicester away is the main one I can think of with their goal directly coming from this.

Anyways, I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Have to take care of Villarreal first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

iirc Hendersons running style was questioned, would it shorten his professional career if it's not a natural movement? Hopefully not but I find myself comparing him to Milner currently,even though there is an age gap, in that they are possibly at their last year in a Liverpool starting eleven for important games, more of a squad option. I shudder if i see both on a starting teamsheet, i love them both to bits, don't get me wrong,but I feel comfortable if there's only one of them as others will cover, I think we have better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

An energy sapping game for City and after scoring 4 goals against Madrid the tie is only at half time with 1 goal in it.

Last year Pep had the opportunity to rest his players in between the semi finals as he had the league wrapped up.

This year he doesn't have that luxury thanks to Liverpool being the pain his ass that he said we are!

Stones injured last night. Does he start a 34/35 year old Fernandinho in defence at the weekend after he played most of the game last night?

Another interesting week ahead!!

I think the spurs triangle applies to us for the upcoming Leeds game. 😀

Was disgusted when city looked to be strolling against the undisputed best Europen competition club. Then it turned into a struggle and far from over. Injury hit City. Leeds looking a better managed unit, still needing points.

Hope rises. Rational thought gets out and takes a stroll.

Maybe 🙃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Madrid are such a difficult team to play against. With City you know what is coming and even if you play well there is a chance they beat you with the quality players they have. Madrid beats you by killing your momentum and confidence by being overwhelmed and then scoring in a blink of an eye.

Now last night City was 2-0 ahead when that happened so they were still confident as they were scoring. But if Madrid had done that at 1-0 or 0-0, I think it would have hurt City more as they would have been thinking, "how does this happen to us, again?".

Don't even want to think about a final, first there is Villareal to get past and then worry about what is to come. At the very least City had to run the whole match last night, and the weekend, and then again Wednesday. That works in our favour as we need them to drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cancelo is back for the Leeds game. He was only suspended last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I love the kop, but you really appreciate how clever these songs are when you here them in tune, to the tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

@Agent Coulson

Two brilliant tweets there, thanks!

Love little Luis so much. That was when I used to go a lot, I was in the Kop behind that goal, and I was there for his goal against Juve. Two of my best memories at Anfield 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Walker is likely to be back for the Leeds game and other than that, only Stones is likely to be missing from City's defence against Leeds, not really a defensive crisis considering what happened to us last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It’s just one big game after another. What a squad. What a manager. Times we never thought we’d experience again. It’s magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...great times to be a Liverpool fan.

For years my main hope at this stage of the season was that we might scrape into the Top 4 and that Utd would fail epically in the Champions League and/or the League

My young fellas know only Liverpool as a successful, trophy winning juggernaut. We're based in Limerick so they also assume the same about the hurling team 😂

I'm originally from Mayo so have brought then to a few games as well to ground them a bit in misery and reality 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Seen the highlights, how Madrid are within one goal of City is unbelievable considering the chances they had apart from their 4 goals. Can't see how Madrid stop them even at home. Hopefully we do the business tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

That 'running style' comment from Ferguson will follow Henderson into retirement. There's nothing inherently wrong with Henderson's running style, nor will it likely shorten his career. His running style is perfectly natural. But that begs the question, what is a natural running style? There's huge variation across the population. Suffice to say - Henderson's running gait is grand! (I work as a sports podiatrist)

• Advertisement

Everything that I've heard Klopp say about tonight's game leads me to believe that they are not taking Villarreal for granted at all. The way it should be.

Yes, Liverpool are favourites and are expected to progress but Villarreal are no mugs. They are a cup team, with a cup manager and have knocked out Juventus and Bayern Munich by using their strengths and collective defensive spirit. They'll look to frustrate tonight I think and then spring Danjuma when possible. Sort of like what Everton did, but will have better players and Danjuma is better than Anthony Gordon. Villarreal have been resting their team in the league games recently too, to keep them fresh for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool to play Southampton away on May 17th, Man City's rearranged game with Wolves to be played on May 11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tonight is going to be extremely difficult and frustrating. Be ready for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

For reference, here is our and Man City's remaining fixtures as per BBC website until the end of the year -

This is for fixtures starting from the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Expect tonight to be massively frustrating. Emery will be happy enough to be within touching distance for the second leg. Can’t see them changing unless we somehow charge into a 3-0 lead.

Then we have probably one of our most difficult fixtures of the season on Saturday. Newcastle are behind only us in 2022 so expecting a really difficult game there too. Coming out of that with 3 points ahead of City playing would be huge.

What a position to be in. Talking about our CL SF opponents and then potentially going back top of the league on Saturday. The FA cup final is almost an afterthought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is tonight's game on irish tv ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Your post and the one you quoted really are the two options for tonight. I’d be leaning towards Lloyd’s but this is a Champions League semi final at Anfield. Roma were supposed to frustrate the hell out of us in 2018 and look how that turned out.

I’m going for a 2-0 win with both goals coming after the 60th minute, but if we manage to score two early it does change things, one goal won’t change their approach but a second should.

• Advertisement

Interesting...

Could be great for South American player's apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Klopp said yesterday that his foot issue hadn't cleared up yet.

Konate for first goal scorer tonight.

I like that team.

Hopefully the home crowd is taken advantage of we can take a lead to Spain at the least.

Come on redmen. Another European final to play for.

Jones & Tsimikas out ill.

That bench is better than some teams we’ve put out not that terribly long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Why are we playing Southampton the Tuesday after the Saturday FA cup final?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Going to have to be calm and patient again tonight these boys are going to sit in and try counter by all accounts,hopefully another special night in Europe..

The Wednesday? It might give the lads a bit more time to recover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm surprised it's full strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wednesday is the Europa League Final night say UEFA would not allow it unless it kicks off at like 6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Even though it's not a marquee name we're against in a CL semi I'm hoping the crowd are as rabid as all previous home semis.

Good strong team out, which is a must in a CL semi. If we are to have one eye on one of the three trophies left it should be this one while we're still chasing City.

Reports in some papers that Juventus have an interest in signing Tsamakis. He is too good to be a bit part player, hope he doesn’t go but I’d understand if he wants first team football with a big team.

Oh, fair enough

• Advertisement

Sean Cox is at Anfield tonight.

If anyone deserves to see Liverpool win a CL semi final game at Anfield, it's him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

When we win the champions League do the words of "allez allez allez" change too "from Paris back to Paris?"

These are the real questions we should be asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah that's brilliant. Really glad he's still getting to go to games!!

Great atmosphere. Liverpool fans really up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

16 seconds that last goal kick took..

• Advertisement
Advertisement