Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, it won't be a popular opinion but I wonder if focus should shift to the 2 cup games - Chelsea and Madrid. Concentrate on them and bring home all the cups this season, or keep going in the league as well and we could end up with just the League Cup. I think we would've seen some changes in midweek anyway but I wonder if we'll now see a few more than originally planned, especially if City do the business as expected tomorrow.... doubly especially if they rack up a 5-0 win to massively help their GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, I'd nearly prefer he went 5-4-1!

<edit> - oh tuesday - against us, of course!

Was thinking of for City's last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The one thing I don’t fear is City hammering Newcastle tomorrow, I really don’t think it’s on the cards given how tight the Magpies look in defence now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting them to get anything from the game, but I fancy them to frustrate City for the most part unless they go 2 down early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not going 5o be critical of this great team. Looked a little leggy tonight I thought, just lacked a bit if zip, and weren't able to manoeuvre the Spurs low block at all. The schedule probably caught them out really as much as Spurs.

Their goal was strange, I haven't watched it back, but why was Trent a LB and Robbo at LB, it was from open play wasn't it? Several errors for the goal, probably Trent, Virgil and Robbo all hold some culpability, but it's done now, I'm not going to **** on any of them.

Be interesting to see how the rotation goes on Tuesday, need fresh legs for the Cup final on Saturday, so might be a few unexpected changes

Yeah, I know Mo has weighed in with some assists recently, but we really needed something from him tonight but didn't get it unfortunately, and at no point did I feel we would get it. He hasn't really been on it for the last few months and if he wants to be known as the best in the world, it's the likes of tonight we needed him to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea Trent was out of position, didn't challenge Kane, or go mark Son, total brain freeze and ball watching

Think that’s the PL done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I think so myself but I'll be hopeful of a city loss or couple of draws somewhere, I think they'll be leggy tomorrow but rejuvenated after that result, probably the most I can hope for is a draw

I know the official line will always be “doing what’s best for the team, couldn’t care less about my former club”, but there’s surely a tiny part of Stevie that hopes we do enough to beat Villa on Tuesday, I’m absolutely not saying he’ll do anything to help us win or that he’d even consider it, just that we’re good enough to earn the win. Despite the double disclaimer in there, I know someone will still say I’m hoping for him to throw the game. 😅

Whatever about all that though, if we’re still in it going into the last day of the season, he’ll relish the chance to take something off City and help us to the title,

Yeah, needing City to lose one is much less likely than a single frustrating 0-0 draw for them, unfortunately. More realistically, I think we're hoping now for a couple of draws for City, rather than a defeat. Neither outcome is too likely, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We hadn't reset I think.

TAA was covering for Robbo and it looked like he was going to cover Kula out wide to allow VVD to block Kane from the front.

TAA then hesitated, spotted VVD was staying on the cover of Kula and by the time he could react Kane had opened up more space.

I don't think that happens if it's Robbo and VVD or the sides are swapped and it's TAA and Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Tiredness was bound to set in at some stage, it’s easy for teams like Spurs to be fresh for every game when they’ve only got league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Shelvey tomorrow, Coady on Wednesday and Coutinho on last day of the season will step up to the mark for their former club 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The phenomenal physical and mental effort to chase down City, reach CL & FA and win a cup already is taking it toll over the last 7/8 weeks . That was mentally tired performance and almost surreally bad given what was at stake.

id really like to see Matip back in the lineup as defending has been really poor last 2 games. That Son stemmed from Konate needlessly heading the ball to a spurs mid under no pressure at all. Trent so wasteful again and defensively in no man’s land too often tonight.

As exciting as DIaz emergence has been , salah and jota are totally off the boil . Crazy how limp the last 15mins were as would all have expected a siege but the players didn’t look remotely like scoring . City win tomorrow 3 points clear with better GD as well which was something that only afew games I thought could still play apart .

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Amazed Origi wasn't used. Considering how we were throwing crosses in. We simply had to use him to unsettle their back 5.

Mane in particular is ineffective when there is no space in behind. Cannot understand the decision to be honest. Actually think it would have lifted the crowd too.

We cannot be critical, the fact we need to win so many consecutive games is a joke, it's indicative of how City and their Petro dollars have skewed the landscape of the game. To get 90+ points and 2nd place for the second time is pretty ridiculous.

Onwards though, let's win the cup and old big ears, great time to be a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

These are the times you can seperate out the Liverpool fans from the Liverpool supporters. Nothings done, nothings over. We looked tired and out of ideas tonight after all the games we've played. They've played the same amount as us, with a few more injuries to boot and many would say less quality replacements then we have. Why can't they be tired and mess up a game?

They need to make sure they don't lose a single game, but if they do, we'll be waiting, and if they don't, faor play to them and Paul Tierney. They deserve it.

It ain't over.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I agree with you - wolves, Villa and West Ham are not easy games for any team including City which why tonight is a tough one. I know it’s unlikely but i was glad goal difference was on our side going into this run in but City win tomorrow and it’s gonez

The dilemma is that team is now absolutely knackered and do we continue to push and push the physical limits trying to catch City and final risking performances like this against Real and Chelsea in Finals or do you rotate team for massively needed break and focus on cups. Tomorrow will tell a lot - Juergen will keep trying to win but salah need to either play centrally or be rotated because more than ever we need his goals now and get his mojo back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This season is coming down to the last minute of the last match, always has been, nothings decided till may 22nd at 6pm.

• Advertisement

No way they win at WH or Wolves

And hopefully Gerrard sets up to keep it 0-0, why not, he's smart, he'll lose 5-0 if it doesn't. It's wise, it's winning a point or losing 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Ah lads the dream is still alive, keep the faith until its mathematically not possible

Take a day off will ya. You are the same loon that said an Everton player would prefer to miss a penalty to prevent Liverpool winning the league, than score, a post that looks stupider by the week. We are all Liverpool fans/supporters here, only you and a couple of other know-alls try to make a distinction.

If you’re saying someone is less of a Liverpool supporter for thinking the league is as good as over, that’s a load of manure in my opinion.

I’m hoping as much as anyone that City let us back into it, but the last time we were in this position, they didn’t slip up, they won every game and never gave us a chance, and that was also in a season where they were humiliated in Europe. Their heads didn’t drop then, and I don’t fancy they will now. Being realistic and comparing this scenario to the same one we found ourselves in back in 2019 doesn’t downgrade anyone from a “supporter” to a “fan”.

We all want the same thing here, so there’s no need to create a divide based on how much one believes in it coming to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I know it's said over and over but the levels are insane now.

We're on 83pts with three to play, having drawn with Spurs and it feels like a disaster.

We're so far ahead of the rest that Chelsea drawing and United getting hammered are totally irrelevant (don't get me wrong, still funny)

Can't see City dropping the points now, but we have to keep pushing, and it's still a monumental season from our lads. I'm absolutely gutted tonight, as i feel the league slipped away today, but it's still a joy and a privilege to watch this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

So we are relying on the Angelus. Is there anything to be said for another mass. 😀

• Advertisement

It's disappointing for sure but perspective is required. Many people have thrown in the towel a few times already this season and are ready to do so again right now.

My perspective is we've just gone top of the league and who knows what happens from here. Your 100% correct though, we looked tired and out of ideas. My response to that is we've played the same number of games City have, but we have arguably a better squad and less injuries. Are they immune to tiredness induced less than perfect displays? I hope not, it gives me hope. I'd rather focus on that than throw in the towel while we're top with three to go.

Will we win it? Improbable, is it over? Is it fück.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I honestly can't see city losing any of their remaining games,but I don't think they'll even drop a point either so I suppose tonight result makes no difference anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

What a night for Emerson Royale to remember that he's a pro footballer, the cnut was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Me too. Especially after their calamity in the CL , Pep will have them , and himself, focused on closing out the league. The spurs result has only helped him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

wasn't expecting city to drop points anyway , so in my mind we lost it when we drew 2-2 with them , still over the moon happy with how our season is going , 3 finals and still in with a small hope of the league , amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Relax lads.

We are top of the league and in 2 more cup finals.

And it could be worse, we could be Utd supporters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Disappointed

Wasn't expecting to win the league.

Having a great time supporting Liverpool right now. That hasn't changed.

If City mess this up now it'll feel even better.

We've missed Bobby over the last few weeks, he's got that bit of divilment in his eye, can pull a rabbit out of his hat and has done so I er the years. Hope he's available for the big games o er the next few weeks, a great option to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

fleeting disappointment, but god I love this team.They try in every game, we’re privileged to watch them. We might not win it all but that doesn’t matter. That squad and that manger epitomise the club. Let’s fight for everything, and at the end, we’ll never walk alone💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Very frustrating game, reminded me alot of the Covid no crowd games when we lost 6 in a row or whatever it was, unable to break down a defence and just putting in cross after cross, with nobody really that capable of getting on the end of them, it was like we were all out of ideas so just keep crossing it in, as someone said already at least throw Origi on if we are going to do that, he could have unsettled Spurs a bit and also pumped the crowd up.

The noise was great when we got the equaliser but when 1 nil down it was flat and lots of moaning and groaning, the team probably deserved better than that. I don't/didn't believe City would slip up so have prepared mentally for not winning the league, even though it is a kick in the bollocks considering the season we are having and points we have put on the board.

Worst line ever, Trent and Robbo on wrong side, Konate maybe trying to play em off, but VVD is miles deep when Kane would be miles off if VVD was someway in line with other 3.

.. Both Trent and Fab game Kane so much rope, unreal, real bad, compared to the way Spurs didn't give us an inch in these positions

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Toby you honestly can’t wait for this team to have the slightest slip. It’s like you revel in the smallest mistake. I don’t know why you post here so frequently? Is it to prove your tactical nous? Are you angling for JK’s job on boards.ie?

any win we have you view as mandatory.

have you been following Liverpool long? Try enjoying this seminal time to be a Liverpool fan.

it won’t always be this good.

Someone very important agrees with you:

“I would love to sit here and say, ‘Yes, City will drop points,’” Klopp said. “The only problem is I can’t see it.”

I wonder if anyone thinks his opinion is more in line with those who are ‘fans” or “supporters”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Always felt the Spurs game was going to be the most likely one we would drop points in, so not really that surprised, just a pity it falls at a time City were under pressure and might have even cracked today against Newcastle, had we won last night. The result obviously will give City a massive boost and takes away a lot of the pressure they would have been under after their CL knockout. While the league is not mathematically over, we need to fight on, but, realistically it's highly unlikely City let it slip from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Go top of the league after a draw to a top 5 club, managed by a defensive genius, following a mesmerising run of results ... and feeling like you might have to give up the league.

5 or 6 years ago, we'd have been celebrating the balls on this team to pull a point out when playing pretty badly.

But not any more.

This standard is fúcking exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was disappointing last night but not too bothered as the chance of City dropping points was less than likely anyway. Still would have been nice to push them to the final day but it is what it is. Conte set them up perfectly to stifle us and then the likes of Sessegnon and Romero played arguably their best games all season, it was just one of those games where you felt a penalty would be really welcome to break the deadlock.

Bigger worry for the two finals is Salahs form, we really need him to turn it around now and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

The first points we’ve dropped to any team other than Man City since the draw with Chelsea on 2nd Jan. 4 months! It’s an insane level of consistency. What a team. What a manager. We are privileged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Only way last night ends up screwing us is if City draw a remaining game and we both win all others.

We needed them to drop points anyway and last night means we need them to lose a game rather than draw when they do.

To do either means they have an off day so it was always unlikely, especially after getting knocked out of Europe, but there's a chance. A loss last night and I'd say it's over as it would have meant needing City to drop points in more than 1 game.

But I'm not giving up. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, I don't really feel all thaaat different about things than I did Saturday morning... it was already out of our hands, but needed just one awkward game to go against them. It's still out of our hands, but just needs one awkward game to go against them - albeit slightly more against them in this case.

The way City play, if they've a horrible game, they're almost as likely to lose as to draw anyway, so it's not hugely more unlikely... like, I think the most likely thing is they'll just win all their games, but if they were to mess up, I think it's nearly the toss of a coin whether it's a draw or loss. (Liverpool, by contrast, are always much more likely to draw than lose).

In a general sense, I never quite understand the mentality of someone being ready and willing to surrender hope in something prematurely. Like, I just don't really see what anyone gets from it. Acceptance of increased difficulty sure, but I never understand a 'thats that', before that really is that.

23rd

There was a penalty call there, think at 1g1,Sadio was taken out completely off the ball, dunno if it was reviewed or not, but ref waved it away very quickly.

I suppose you are right, a Rangers-Liverpool league double should have decent odds.

Se people left that stadium on the 85th and later minutes. That's absolutely mental when the team needed them most.

I think City will wallop Newcastle later but the wolves game in midweek is different gravy as is the West Ham one after it. We'll see.

Nothing much has changed, doubters to believers the man said and I still believe as much as I did before the game because it was a long shot then too.

As mentioned above though my main concern right now is two of our front 5 aren't offering a whole lot which lessens our options when the starting ones can't get the job done. We really need Salah to find some form and Jota is a worry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Went to a gig for the first time in over two years...it was f*cking amazing but was so conflicted missing the match.

Glad I did from reports that Spurs played with 11 men in the proximity of their 18 yd box. Find it hard to watch us against teams that do that. Its poison to watch but effective I guess.

Need a big result from the barcodes today otherwise I reckon we are toast.

It's a shame we have nothing left to play for if the league is just out of reach 😕 😪 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's the psychological effect it has on both squads, City will feel relieved and more relaxed going into todays match, they now know they can afford a draw in their remaining matches and still win the league. Liverpool will feel they have lost the chance to turn the screw further on an already under pressure City. City were always likely to complete the job anyways, they just have a margin of error now that they didn't have before.

Advertisement