Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don’t think Gini wants to leave tbh

We can't give him VVD/Salah money, as well as 4 years.

I think him leaving now suits all parties.

He'll get mountains more money somewhere else and get the bumper contract he wants. As good as he's been, that's fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mad how we all just wanted the season to end weeks ago, and we’ve ended up in 3rd on the final day.

For the team to pick itself up and get the results they did over the past month shows you the beast of a squad that they are. 8 wins, 2 draws. With a 5th and 7th choice CB pairing.

Lot of momentum and positivity going into next season with players and fans back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Philips and Williams deserve so much credit over the last few games as well.

Williams played 10 League games we won 8 drew 1 lost 1 conceding only 6 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

POT 2 in the champions league next season, avoiding Real and Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I could quote everyone in here telling me CL Place was not possible:p

POT 2 in the champions league next season

Some team in pot 1 is going to be very unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fair play to our 2 centre halfs on the run in, the fact they are numbers 46 and 47 tells you everything about where they were expected to be.

I could quote everyone in here telling me CL Place was not possible:p

You have a fair back catalogue of quotes yourself Toby :D

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    Fair play to our 2 centre halfs on the run in, the fact they are numbers 46 and 47 tells you everything about where they were expected to be.

That there are 20 more players between them and TAA?

On a serious note, the club purposely give graduates from their academy high numbers when they come into first team squad.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.liverpoolfc.com/amp/news/first-team/393390-explained-why-trent-alexander-arnold-wears-no-66

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Had to try and win and hope West Ham didn't so they could avoid the Europa Conference League

Also if lost Arsenal would have leap frogged them

Dav010 wrote: »
    That there are 20 more players between them and TAA?

Billy Hughes is 98 lol. What's Nico? 76 I think.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I should have used the rhetorical question font

The emote I used should have known I knew and it was a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The simple fact is we shouldn't have had to have Phillips and Williams in defence for a large portion of the season.

The fact we did, and how well they performed, is a testament to both the coaching of the team and them as people.

Are they good enough for the long term aspirations of the club? Maybe not, but they should be at least given the option of being squad members.

They really should have used Ali for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Massive credit to Mo Salah, easily our player of the season and the one consistent performer throughout the entire year.

Raid Arsenal for Saka and Martinelli now they are just another midtable team.

Then throw in bid to Madrid for Odegaard as well now we can see he can play in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As a middle aged man, I'm very thankful I no longer wear jerseys.

Wijnaldum to Sky Sports: "I'm fighting against tears right now. The people in Liverpool have shown me love during the five years. I will miss them, you know? I hope to have played many more years for the club but unfortunately things went different."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Lads we actually secured Champions League football because our fcuking goalkeeper scored a 95th minute winner

Take away those extra 2 points and we still would have CL football, can't say how much momentum and belief it added though.

Hey in all the celebrations it'd be remiss to not mention that Everton finished 10th :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gini wanted to stay, but the hardball tactics the people use at Liverpool when selling and buying players are used on our own players when it comes to renewing a contract, not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal fan here guys. Well done on getting Champions League football next season. I've a brother in China who'll be happy now.

The amount of stick these two lads have been subjected to, neither of whom expected to get a single minute of first team football this season and ended it as our most common CB pairing while both literally bleeding for the club.

E2FuvAmWUAADXx0?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"Worst title defence ever" finishing the season a point closer to the title than City last season.
    Hey in all the celebrations it'd be remiss to not mention that Everton finished 10th :D

And Pickford conceded 5.

Gini wanted to stay, but the hardball tactics the people use at Liverpool when selling and buying players are used on our own players when it comes to renewing a contract, not cool.

With the money he wanted, his age, and how he was this season. By all counts he was been given a good contract

• Advertisement

Jaysus, they fell off a cliff. Without Ancellotti they'd be much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Player of the Season Mo Salah. If there'd been 5 or 10 more games, Thiago may have pipped him.

Moment of the season Alisson v West Brom

Goal of the Season Salah's second at Palace

Low point of the season The Burnley defeat. Didn't think there was a way out of the rut.

Expectations next season Title challenge once the foundation of the team isn't decimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nonsense. He wanted a ridiculous contract - both wage and length - that would have been crazy to give a 30 year old.

I'll miss him, but I'm delighted the club did not cave in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Raid Arsenal for Saka and Martinelli now they are just another midtable team.

Then throw in bid to Madrid for Odegaard as well now we can see he can play in the league.

Would've been great to convince Saka to come in last year when he was out of contract. Cost a fortune now though, as would Martinelli. Had hoped we might try to steal Balogun this year too with his contract expiring, but they got him signed up for the long term as well.

As bad as they've been, they do have an eye for young talent!

With the money he wanted, his age, and how he was this season. By all counts he was been given a good contract

Koeman will be gone from Barca in a week, and then what for Gini, Everton..

The amount of stick these two lads have been subjected to, neither of whom expected to get a single minute of first team football this season and ended it as our most common CB pairing while both literally bleeding for the club.

That's a class photo.

Nonsense. He wanted a ridiculous contract - both wage and length - that would have been crazy to give a 30 year old.

I'll miss him, but I'm delighted the club did not cave in.

Makes sense until we have to spend millions to replace him. Maybe Jones is the answer.

I'm actually stunned to realise we finished with the 4th best defensive record in the league :eek:

E2FuvAmWUAADXx0?format=jpg&name=large

Don’t know what the future holds for these two, but they’ll have a great story to tell their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Makes sense until we have to spend millions to replace him. Maybe Jones is the answer.

Jones and Thiago have already replaced him. Would expect the starting midfield next year to be Fabinho, Henderson, and Thiago.

Have to think Gini's expiring contract was a big reason to get Thiago in last season.

We'll need to bring in another high quality 22/23/24 year old over the next year or so, but that was the case regardless with the senior lads aging.

I'd love a surprise signing announcement tomorrow like Fab was out of the blue.

We might buy a midfielder this summer but we don't need a "Wijnaldum replacement," our starting midfield 3 is Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not about being cool.

They have a business model and they're sticking to it.

I like Gini a lot and will miss him but I understand the club's position on this and and Gini is very replaceable.

You could argue that Gini was using hardball tactics by demanding a long term contact on big money at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Kind of Konate style announcement?

Hmm....

I like this theory....

I said before we should be looking to sign Hendo's replacement now not Gini's.

• Advertisement

He fought as hard as anyone to stick to this

https://twitter.com/MoSalah/status/1360965364813807623?s=20

Fieldog wrote: »
    Kind of Konate style announcement?

Hmm....

I like this theory....

No like a signing no one knows about like the Fab signing.

Konate has been in the news for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not about being cool.

They have a business model and they're sticking to it.

I like Gini a lot and will miss him but I understand the club's position on this and and Gini is very replaceable.

You could argue that Gini was using hardball tactics by demanding a long term contact on big money at his age.

It's the right decision, the club recruitment policy has been consistent bar thiago which you just couldn't turn down.

Memphis!

Our only player to play every match this season and he still can't get enough

https://twitter.com/TheRedmenTV/status/1396524996508495874?s=20

• Advertisement
Advertisement