Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a Champions League final - it's supposed to be tough, but hopefully, that will make it all the sweeter!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Not sure if you are serious or not . Fabinho and VVD short of match sharpness isn’t good preparation especially given Fabinho tends to need a game or 2 to shake off the rust.

Keita playing instead of Thiago is a huge blow. Blows too hot and cold and given the ball away far too often. Thiago is a critical player and huge blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ha, just watching Iwobi do the exact same handball today as Rhodri did a few weeks ago.... penalty given. Unlike a few weeks ago, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I dunno, both VVD & Fab played 2 weeks ago which isn't even time to lose match fitness. It's not perfect but I'd say 2 weeks is the most time you'd want players to go without match time. Thiago is a loss, no doubt, but Kieta would be my preferred replacement for him so I'm happy he's fit at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Might be a language thing.

You said there are doubts around Fabinho, VVD and Keita to deliver in big games. Made it sound like they go missing in big games or something.

Maybe you just meant Keita but it wasn't the clearest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Exactly. One only has to look at the 2012 final to see a heavily depleted team defeat one of the very best in Europe.

And even if Fab and Thiago missed the final, we still have the edge over Madrid in 6 positions, at least. Apart from Benzema, Vinicius and their old midfield, there’s not a huge amount to fear. If by some miracle both Fab and Thiago are fit to start, we’re winning that midfield battle too until they take Kroos off.

However the match pans out, I can’t shake the feeling it’s another cup final headed for penalties. A Milner panenka to win it 12-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Always the fear once they didn't get Mbappe or Haaland that they would spend their money elsewhere. Just to make themselves feel better.

Doubts around VVD & Fabs fitness coupled with Keita tendency to blow hot and colds in big games was what I meant.

Thiagos injury is real lingering disappointment from today. His sublime passing will be hugely missed — we just have to hope fab is back fit to play 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Liverpool will have enough good players outfield and on the bench to win Saturday. They have 6 days to get the minds and bodies right, they will.

You're always going to have injured players, some returning from injury etc. Heart is the most important thing and they have it in spades.

Today we were 1 goal away from being gifted the Premiership. I had expected City to beat Villa 5 nil. It would have been an unexpected gift winning the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Eh no, he wasn't right on this one. He said we would win the title and we ddin't. Most of us thought we would lose by 1 point, thereby still being in it going into the last day...those of us who thought that were right, not Toby who said we would win the league and we clearly haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

When we were more than 10 points behind in January not a lot of us thought there was even a chance of a challenge, never mind winning the title. Toby was saying we would win it. I guess you could say most of us, including Toby, was wrong as I cannot remember anyone saying we would go on a run, draw to Tottenham and lost the league by a point.

It's crap to lose the league to a team that has no limits when it comes to spending. Add in a great manager it makes it very hard. My hope is the emotional toll of having to be perfect will weigh Pep down and he will leave. He wasn't that positive when it came to his future yesterday. Maybe then we can win the title on 85 points and not need almost 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

1983/84 was our best season ever and nothing that happens next week will top it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Martinez was out wasnt he..? so sub keeper and all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

so píssed off...why didnt someone in the Villa team go down at 1-2 or 2-2... amateurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Apparently the French guy has decided on Real. Despite agreeing terms with us and them.

Mbappe deal has bitten us in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s us being directly f*cked over by state owned clubs not having to follow FFP. Madrid have been preparing for this transfer for years, and now with PSG offering a frankly obscene amount of money and control to keep him is obviously going to have a domino effect.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see them try to turn the heads of some of our current players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Champions League final team? Thiago is a huge loss. I really hope Fabiniho makes it. And I hope Salah can give us a cameo of the first half of the season - the difference in him is night and day when on that electric form.

Diaz----Mane----Salah

Keita----Fab--Henderson

Robbo--VVD--Matip---Trent

-----------Allison

• Advertisement

Carvalho seems like a really shrewd signing. Haven't gotten many wrong recently. Hope it's a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

woke up deflated this morning...why did Villa have to go 2 up??? I'd already accepted a 5-0 win for City yesterday so I'd never given much thought for anything outside of that. Thiago getting injured then was the ultimate sucker punch.

One thing I did note yesterday was how tired we looked as a team, even in the 2nd half when I expected us to go right at them after half time the energy just wasn't there. It really shows the toll of playing every single game possible has had on the team and how incredible their mindsets are, that even when on their last legs they can still grab 2 goals when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I think a pedestrian enough Madrid side are going to pick through our bones so to speak, think they will deal with us easier than they managed City unfortunately.

I expect Vinicius Jr to have a field day, Thiago's passing from deep will be a huge loss, yesterday was pretty disastrous all round.

A tactical change may be needed as we don't have the legs to play our usual effective game, they will hold possession and try to move us around which if successful will be energy sapping. Pressing them hard into errors for opening 30-45 mins and nicking a couple of goals before holding on/being energy efficient in 2nd half is our best hope.

I have no doubt that if we played Real a few months ago we would have blown them away. But I'm concerned we won't have the energy for that next weekend. We have stumbled to the finish line in recent weeks, with the number of games played really showing. The injuries to Thiago, Fabiniho and VVD came at the worst possible time. Salah and Jota are also out of form. Thank god for Diaz and Mane. I would have given us a 60% chance a few weeks ago but now I think Real are slight favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get this negativity at all. "Stumbled across the line", "tired looking".

Now a 3-1 win against a gritty and attacking Wolves side is disastrous? They won comfortable in the end and just missed out on the league.

They've obtained 50 points out of the last 54 points in the league and won every single cup tie they have competed in and still people here doubt them.

They will be very motivated next Saturday for various reasons and I'm sure they'll give Madrid a torrid time. Energy levels will be high and they have a week's recovery and training.

Really fancy our chances next Saturday. I just simply have learned over the last few years to never doubt Klopp and his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I fancy our chances on paper but I have to say I also did when we played Madrid in the CL last season when I saw their current lineup.

That lineup has since gone on to walk La Liga and Knock out Chelsea, PSG and City but I still, and it might be my la Liga ignorance, fancy our first XI over theirs (even without Thiago).

I'm delighted we have it to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

To be fair, Madrid are as much a state owned club as all the others. I’m delighted Madrid didn’t get him for free anyways. Long enough they’ve poached and robbed players of every other club. Not happy with the contract he has gotten at the same time and it’s worrying but happening to Madrid does make it feel a bit better.

I don't think its negative to suggest that we are looking leggy the last few weeks considering that's exactly what we have been, but its only natural. We have been no where near our energetic best which is due to the fact we are gone over game number 60 for the season which is insane. You cant argue with the fact that we were in a much better place 4/5 weeks and I feel if we had Madrid then we would have put 3/4 past them. Add in now we are mostly likely going to be without Thiago, full fitness doubts over with Fab and VVD and an off form Salah and Jota it is all playing into Madrid's hands. I'm not suggesting that we are now underdogs or in for a guaranteed beating or any of these things but the last few weeks could not have gone any better for Real. They sowed their league up and have a fully fit fresh squad whereas we have been playing twice weekly, picking up injuries and our energy levels have dropped significantly as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lads any recommendations of where to watch the match in Paris?

Likewise don’t understand posts like this either . Losing out on the league in the fashion it happened yesterday in the last 15mins and losing Thiago was a disaster.

Taking the emotion out of it, the players looked absolutely gased out and defensively all over the place yesterday. We have now conceded the first goal in every game (bar FA cup final) since away at Villareal and and which unfortunately lead to dropped points Vs Spurs and very narrow victories since.

If we play high like so badly again like yesterday with those huge gaps in behind or where Trent should be I can understand why the posters above will be so concerned. If VVD and Fab are fit it will be huge but I see out midfield being overrun if we are reduced to Milner/keita/hendo who won’t have legs for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We are leggy, but it's the first week the team have off between games for the past 5 months really.

They will be fine, Thiago has been super, but if Fabinho is fit we are very very close to full strength.

We picked up I think like 53 of the 57 points available in the back half of the season, with just draws against City, Chelsea and Spurs, it's been an absolutely insane run, and some sort of expectation that we just breeze past every team is somewhere between deluded and entitled.

Assuming no further injury setbacks we will be looking at something like Ali, TAA, Matip, Virgil, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Diaz, Mane, Salah - with Jota, Konate, Firmino, and Milner probably sniffing about. All of these guys now have 6 days between games which for the group is surely a welcome break, I'm not sure is Thiago 100% out yet either - if he isn't then he has essentially had a 10 day break as he only had a brief appearance yesterday.

Couldn't be less deflated as a Liverpool right now, and certainly not getting all fatalistic about Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but this phrase leggy just gets said far too often.

I watch a game and see them playing full of energy, same as yesterday.

How else were they able to wear Wolves out and eventually win comfortably. Leggy gets thrown about when they're not winning games 3 or 4 nil.

Even last week against Chelsea in the cup they were the dominant team and could have won in normal time.

I fully expect an energetic and full performance next Saturday and don't think Madrid will be looking forward to playing Liverpool.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I will just love it if we can beat them love it

Le Thirsty Mad Cat is not taking bookings, first come first served. I'm going to Belushi's Gare du Nord which is ticketed. Fanzones likely will show on big screens

I'm hoping the pub will be better though and hopefully show the Leinster game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

think salah wants revenge plus to get over heart break of losing the league

Surely you have seen the noticeable fatigue against spurs after the draining comeback against Villarreal or how utterly knackered we would have been after the 120mins FA Cup where we lost fab, VVD and Salah to injury in same game . Gomez injured Vs Southampton and Thiago yesterday is proof the players are on limit of physical overload.

When it was 1-1 wolves has some incredible chances go 2-1 than i really thought the players were absolutely gassed out in 2nd half but again managed to get it over the line but it’s wasn’t convincing for 85mins but it’s hard to take yesterday as indication as so much emotion was on the line.

One silver lining is salah goal might just be the jolt he needed to get back in form . Get Fabinho back and VVD and we have a great shot but we have to sort out the high line issue as spurs and wolves have shown Madrid exactly what they need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think what the season we won the league showed is that you have to have the consistency in the first 18 games. In 19/20 we had 55 out of 57 points available.

This is what you have to do to get ahead of City. It's mental.

Any word on Thiago and Fabiniho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thiago is defo out. Fab still nothing but everyone seems confident he’ll be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a wonderful season regardless. Taking all four competitions to the last kicks is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Thiago isn't definitely out. Latest is it's an achilles injury and damage isn't as significant as first feared. Unclear if he will be fit, depends on how he responds to treatment but probably surprising if he does make it.

Just googling here, was there an announcement made somewhere on Thiago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Madrid can beat you whether you are leggy or not. They rely on their individual players to get them out of trouble compared to us and City who will beat you with the style of play. But I am still confident we can beat them on the day. They are still a team that will have 36 year old Modric, 32 year old Kroos and 30 year old Casemiro in midfield. What they do well is not needing these players to run their socks off and still be able to influence the game. So we will need to be ruthless. We will create chances so we will need to take those chances as we cannot have Madrid with a sniff in the last 30 minutes.

We are better than we were last year when they beat us, we have a defense again which we did not have last year. So you hope that will stand us in good stead. Injuries are part of the game but you hope those players coming in will be up for it and be able to perform on the day. They have done so far this season when called upon so you expect the same again.

Madrid has lost 9 matches this year, we have 3. Yes you have to be worried about the best players on the other team. I was worried about Ronaldo when we played against United, but lets not let our failure to win the league this year cloud how good we are. We are still a very good team who will now have had a bit of as break between games for the first time in a while for 2 matches in a row. That will be good for us.

As for next season, I think we are in a very good place. City will be City, but they started showing cracks when they got a few injuries. Pep doesn't like a huge squad, which seems counterintuitive to him having 2 players per position. But take out KDB or Dias and you can see the team is not as strong. I mean they lost the league because Laporte was injured in 2019-20 so next year with a crowded schedule for every team, it is going to be hectic. I think we win the league next year as we started laying the foundations of a deep squad this season.

Saying this before the transfer season though which could change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Let's hope Thiago responds to the treatment quickly,least its not his hamstring anyway

Post edited by giveitholly on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I don't get the pessimism about Liverpool's recent performances. The performances the last couple of months, I see a team that can face adversity and blast it away. This team is simply a brilliant footballing team that doesn't know when it's beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll remain optimistic that Fab and Thiago will be fit to play. They will be the difference for us, we ain't winning the CL starting with Milner in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So who woke up playing it over and over in their mind. I know I did, it all looked like a done deal, we just needed to score one goal to win the title, and with 14 minutes left City score 3, unheard of, have they done that before, who knows. We all believed it was there for us, that the game at the Etihad was over, not possible to come back from 0-2 down in 14 minutes, but it happened, just like Everton did it, it was fate, but City's fate not ours. We did nothing wrong, since match day 12 we're top, it just wasn't meant to be.

I just don't know why they deserved it, so many of those players off the field are raging alcohols, they cheat on their wives and partners, and go to sex clubs, Mendy is charged with 4 rapes, Walker holds sex parties with hookers in lockdown, Foden on international duty has no sense of professionalism, taking clueless girls back to room to use them, only in Dec Foden and Grealish were dropped for again drinking and partying with anything with a heartbeat. . and fate is is on their side. Hard to take

this is up there with one of your weirdest posts!! But on your initial gripe, they deserved it because as you rightly pointed out they needed 3 goals in 14 minutes to win it and they did exactly that.....

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is being pessimistic about the last few months. we have played some of our best football under Klopp over the last few months...all people are saying, is since the FA Cup final there has been a drop off in intensity due a 60+ game season coming to a close and considering high intensity is fundamental in how we play it is noticeable. Noting more noting less than that....lets hope we have one last big game in us on Saturday and run Madrid into the ground.

Advertisement