Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lucky we sacked Klopp when we did in fairness. Had lost the dressing room. No way he would have gotten us back into Top 4 this season. It's all his fault for the injuries as well running the players into the ground....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I'd really like to see Nat Phillips stay. Never let us down.
    The saying is 'teak tough'..that he is. Joe is such a better player as is Joel. A couple of years with VVD will see Nat into his prime...has a bit of Sami about him.
    And before y'all kill me..I know Sami was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    I'd really like to see Nat Phillips stay. Never let us down.
    The saying is 'teak tough'..that he is. Joe is such a better player as is Joel. A couple of years with VVD will see Nat into his prime...has a bit of Sami about him.
    And before y'all kill me..I know Sami was much better.

I think Nat is a an absolutely fine 4th choice, he's at least as good as the likes of Ragnar Klavan and has the added benefit of age on his side. More than happy to see him stick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'd love a surprise signing announcement tomorrow like Fab was out of the blue.

Definitely need someone to freshen things up just a little. However, a fit VVD, Gomez, Henderson and Thiago come August would be a massive plus on what we had available throughout this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Someone like Fabián Ruiz would fill the Gini-shaped gap nicely. Henderson's fitness is a bit of a concern.

I'd love a surprise signing announcement tomorrow like Fab was out of the blue.

I remember waking up after a feed of drink the night before, looking at me phone, still half cut and seeing the news. I thought I was having a lucid dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We'll definitely need a replacement for Gini, something we should have learned from this season is that injuries can decimate any area of the team, it's all well saying Thaigo, Fabinho and Henderson will be the midfield 3, but, how often were all 3 available at the same time this season and could play together in midfield, don't think it happened. Gini played practically every league game, so he will be missed, Jones is still not ready to play week in week out as we saw this season he faded as the season went on. Milner can't play every week, that's if he's still around, Keita should be sold, Ox is injury prone, so we'll definitely need some fresh blood in midfield to allow rotation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can I just suggest that for all the calls to drop Mane, the "spat", that we should be very thankful Klopp's in charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The front 4 scored 51 league goals between them

Salah 22
    Mane 11
    Bobby 9
    Jota 9

OG is next on 3

Gini 2
    TAA 2
    Ali1
    Ox 1
    Hendo 1
    Thiago 1
    Jones 1
    Robbo 1
    Minamino 1
    Matip 1
    VVD 1
    Philips 1
    Hendo 1

We need more goals from defence and Midfield.

League title season.

Salah 19
    Mane 18
    Bobby 9

VVD 5
    Ox 4
    Hendo 4
    Origi 4
    Gini 4
    TAA 4
    OG 2
    Milner 2
    Keita 2
    Fab 2
    Jones 1
    Matip 1
    Lallana 1
    Shaq 1

A look at the future tomorrow evening at 7:45pm when Liverpool take on Villa in the FA Youth Cup Final.

The final is in Villa park with 4000 Villa fans in attendance and with no away fans allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

defend.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Not great at posting photos, so hope this works. Saw this photo just now and loved it. Last 2 men standing, both bloodied. Apparently, Williams hasn't even trained for 3 weeks due to a hamstring problem!

Virgil: OUT
    Gomez: OUT
    Matip: OUT
    Kabak: OUT
    Davies: OUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sad to see Gini leaving. Sounds like he really wanted to stay and Klopp wanted him to stay but the club and Gini's representatives couldn't work it out. Would have thought there could have been some compromise. Also a lot to be said for a player that is rarely injured and nearly always available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A fantastic recovery from the bad run of games at home. Can look forward positively to next season.

Phillips deserves a place in the 1st team squad, earned it.

Gini wanted more than the club could offer and it’s right to let him go in that context. He’ll be a very good addition to whoever gets him, albeit a very expensive one. I think it’s a testament to Klopp that he went out on good terms rather than being dropped, etc as so often happens with Bosmans. He gave us a great half decade.

Thiago is a baller. He’ll be ready from game one next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thiago been outstanding the last 2 or 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

The front 4 scored 51 league goals between them

Salah 22
    Mane 11
    Bobby 9
    Jota 9

OG is next on 3

Gini 2
    TAA 2
    Ali1
    Ox 1
    Hendo 1
    Thiago 1
    Jones 1
    Robbo 1
    Minamino 1
    Matip 1
    VVD 1
    Philips 1
    Hendo 1

We need more goals from defence and Midfield.

League title season.

Salah 19
    Mane 18
    Bobby 9

VVD 5
    Ox 4
    Hendo 4
    Origi 4
    Gini 4
    TAA 4
    OG 2
    Milner 2
    Keita 2
    Fab 2
    Jones 1
    Matip 1
    Lallana 1
    Shaq 1

Looking at it like that i really feel Robbo and Trent should be contributing a bit more in terms of goals. Especially when the defence is back to full strength and they push right up the pitch.

You'd want a bit more from Keita, Ox, Shaq and Jones too. I think Jones will become a 6-10 goals a season midfield. Shaq is probably gone, and Keita is a coin toss at this stage.

Definitely an area we could reshape and redefine over the summer. Its actually an exciting time, I feel like that season well and truly closed the door on Klopps first great Liverpool team, and we are moving into is second one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Gini wanted to stay, but the hardball tactics the people use at Liverpool when selling and buying players are used on our own players when it comes to renewing a contract, not cool.

Actually very cool. The club offered a 30 year old a 3 years contract on significantly improved terms, he wanted 4 and wouldn't accept 3. Bayern (or whoever)
    from a league with less physical demands placed on a midfielder, offer him a 4 year contract so it's time for him to move on.

Given Hendo and Thiago's age it makes sense to allow another 30 year old to move on so fresher legs can become established.

Will we miss Ginim 100% we will, who can forget his goals Vs Barca?

Will someone else take his place and be as effective / reliable / available for every game? Only time will tell but that's something Klopp will deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A fantastic recovery from the bad run of games at home. Can look forward positively to next season.

Phillips deserves a place in the 1st team squad, earned it.

Gini wanted more than the club could offer and it’s right to let him go in that context. He’ll be a very good addition to whoever gets him, albeit a very expensive one. I think it’s a testament to Klopp that he went out on good terms rather than being dropped, etc as so often happens with Bosmans. He gave us a great half decade.

Thiago is a baller. He’ll be ready from game one next year.

Not the first time under Klopp either, this all played out very like Can's exit a few years ago. No whinging or complaining by the player in the media, no announcements about where the player was going, and in both cases the player kept their head down and kept working week in week out right to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool offer a contract, dangle it in front of player, agent tries to improve on it, Liverpool remove the original offer, they done it to someone in the womens team this week also, contract offered, her agent tried to improve it, they removed the offer and now she's out on her ear, even though she would have signed the original offer.
    We all applaud it when we're buying players and selling players, but it's not nice to see it being applied to players at the club, the hardball tactics

Liverpool offer a contract, dangle it in front of player, agent tries to improve on it, Liverpool remove the original offer, they done it to someone in the womens team this week also, contract offered, her agent tried to improve it, they removed the offer and now she's out on her ear,even though she would have signed the original offer.
    We all applaud it when we're buying players and selling players, but it's not nice to see it being applied to players at the club, the hardball tactics

Well then she really should be looking for a new agent so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wijnaldum was a fantastic signing for Liverpool. He will be missed. The man never seemed to be injured when all around him were falling. Didn't feature in some way in only 11 games out of the past 6 Premier League seasons which for a guy coming from a foreign league is phenomenal as we know how many players struggle to adapt to Premier League.

And for all his contribution for Liverpool over past 5 years he will always be remembered for that 2 minute spell on the night of May 7th 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see the General Thread is gone very quite the last few weeks with posters gone AWOL. They were only too happy to say what a waste the transfer of Thiago was and that klopp was finished at liverpool and he had the players ran into the ground. They weren't long going into hiding again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool offer a contract, dangle it in front of player, agent tries to improve on it, Liverpool remove the original offer, they done it to someone in the womens team this week also, contract offered, her agent tried to improve it, they removed the offer and now she's out on her ear, even though she would have signed the original offer.

I don't think that happened with Gini - though it really is shitty what the club did to the women. In general the way the women's team is handled is fairly atrocious. For a club of Liverpools size, and with the connections to the community they claim, they should really be putting more resources into it.

to finish 3rd missing 1/2 your team most of the season, it will never be done again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see the General Thread is gone very quite the last few weeks with posters gone AWOL. They were only too happy to say what a waste the transfer of Thiago was and that klopp was finished at liverpool and he had the players ran into the ground. They weren't long going into hiding again

After that ****show of a 2/3 month period we had they should be embarrassed by the fact they only finished 5 points ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Big build up to this weekend too lots of posts the last few weeks when Leicester and Chelsea won about how the race for top 4 was very enjoyable but they never stuck around for the pay off today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

mightyreds wrote: »
    Big build up to this weekend too lots of posts the last few weeks when Leicester and Chelsea won about how the race for top 4 was very enjoyable but they never stuck around for the pay off today.

I think even one poster predicted west ham and everton to make top four!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

A friend of mine bet me that Liverpool would finish below Everton. $$$ TYVM $$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

jebidiah wrote: »
    A friend of mine bet me that Liverpool would finish below Everton. $$$ TYVM $$$

When we were in the middle of the run of home defeats, I bet someone in the General PL thread that we'd still finish top 4. I think I even said top 3. Couldn't be arsed going back to check it, I'm too zen at the moment.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I really don't get that.

In a negotiation (which a contract renewal is) the club don't (and IMHO shouldn't) want their offer to be used to tout around by the players agent to see if any other club wants to improved on it and then only sign it if a better offer can't be found.

When the club puts the best offer they are prepared to make on the table it needs to be time limited sufficient for the player to accept or reject but not so long that the player can use it to see if a better offer is available elsewhere, to allow that to happen would be negligible on the part of the club.

The fact the club pulled a contract offer after the player failed to accept or decline in the time period the club said the offer would be valid for is Kudos to the club as far as I'm concerned. It shows that they are professional, they mean what they say she they aren't going to be pushed around be greedy players or agents.

I 100% guarantee you three next time a player is presented with an offer which is valid for X hours they'll think twice before they let it lapse.

That was Milner's 250th game for the club.

• Advertisement

That was Milner's 250th game for the club.

He kept that one quite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fyfe79 wrote: »
    When we were in the middle of the run of home defeats, I bet someone in the General PL thread that we'd still finish top 4. I think I even said top 3. Couldn't be arsed going back to check it, I'm too zen at the moment.... :D

After Fulham home defeat Liverpool were 10 points behind Leicester in 3rd both 28 played

Probably got pretty good odds at the time for Liverpool to win 8 and draw 2 of the remaining 10 games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I was resigned to us playing europa league from March onwards so needless to say seeing us finishing 3rd I'm delighted with, Klopp really is a miracle worker. Have no doubt we will be back challenging for major honours next season.

Will we regret letting gini leave? Who knows, milner a year older, ox with pretty much no football for 2 odd seasons, keita crocked. I'd be very wary of relying on henderson/thiago/fabinho for every game next year, more than happy to be proving wrong on the likes of ox and keita.

Now onto the euros and silly season can kick off afterwards (guilty pleasure of mine :D ) looking forward to seeing who we get in.

E2GKTEYWQAErjKO?format=jpg&name=large

11 weeks till the start of the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think that happened with Gini - though it really is shitty what the club did to the women. In general the way the women's team is handled is fairly atrocious. For a club of Liverpools size, and with the connections to the community they claim, they should really be putting more resources into it.

Absolutely. The club occasionally seem to be happier to support the likes of Tranmere and Marine ahead of their own women's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think that was probably Richard Keys.

If new Barca president kicks Koeman to the kerb, which is likely, Gini could end up staying in PL at a rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If new Barca president kicks Koeman to the kerb, which is likely, Gini could end up staying in PL at a rival.

Being blunt, I couldn't care less really.

He was apparently offered a good contract for a 30 year old (who has regressed slightly), 3 years with a nice pay rise. He wanted 4 years with a ridiculous pay rise (he is not worth 190,000 a week).

He turned it down.

Would you not prefer to be enjoying our Champions League qualification instead of worrying about Gini?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Strange Gini is saying he hasn't signed anywhere else and he has to tell his story and anything can happen in football and he is a Liverpool player until July 1st...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That allison goal was so pivotal looking back.

The future of the club really hinged on a goal from our goalie in the 95th minute.

DrumSteve wrote: »

The future of the club really hinged on a goal from our goalie in the 95th minute.

it's an awful shame it was scored in an empty stadium and commented on by Martin.

Still Allison's after match interview injected much needed emotion into proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Can't believe we finished third. Allison header the moment of the season, you couldn't make it up.

I remember being on Twitter when United lost to Leicester, City became Champions.
    Liverpool was trending on Twitter and we didn't even play that night, United fans gleeful that their loss condemned Liverpool to the Europa League. Talk of 4D chess from Ole, etc. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Motd is doing it all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

DrumSteve wrote: »

Didn't matter in the end as we would have finished third on goal difference anyway.

But yeah a huge goal at the time.

The squad needs a shake-up and Champions League means we can compete for the best players.

WTF are motd at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

TitianGerm wrote: »
    WTF are motd at.

What are they at?

jebidiah wrote: »
    What are they at?

Mixing the Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester games together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Playing all the games at the same time.

Makes sense for people who don't know the scores.

Advertisement