Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Xander10

ah that's nonsense. A top Ref unlike Dean & Moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

We looked tired again. Midfield were very lethargic particularly second half. What has happened to Robertson and Trent's deliveries? Both shocking from set pieces and Trent must have set a record for giving the ball away first half. A terrible bit of defending gave them their goal, Trent coasting back even though he had a look back and had to have seen the danger.

Thought Konate did well. The front 3 worked hard and we had some decent chances but unfortunately Courtois was inspired. Difficult end to a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ah no its a mentality thing.

Who wants that medal before the match is the same feeling after the match. No problem with that at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I don’t like to see that, didn’t see any other Liverpool player doing it but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely gutted. That trophy was there for the taking. Combination of a tired team and great keeping performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Really lads, annoyed about player taking off a runners up medal. Nah, I'm not having that. In a box in a dark room somewhere that would go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sums up my feelings exactly. We didn't play as well as we can , and as much as I dislike RM at least we didn't lose to Man City. I really do put it down to both a draining season and a masterclass from Courtois and Anclelotti. Still , next year. 🤥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

This.

Madrid deserved it, they played to their strengths and took their chance, we didn't.

Madrid played 54 matches this season including the CL final, we played 63 and Mane and Salah also had AFCON whereas I don't think (happy to be corrected) any of RM's top 4-5 players had the AFCON. We looked leggy and mentally tired. 5 or 6 matches too far, ran out of steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Agree to disagree. Can't stand seeing that from even opposing players on the losing side.

It'll be commented on as 'winners dont accept second place' but IMO, It's false, for lack of a better word.

Saw Kalvan Phillips whip a runners up medal off himself with England in the Euros.

Kalvan Fcuking Phillips ?? He could have thrown the medal into the crowd and there's a good chance it'd land on the shoulders of a better footballer.

Learn from it Trent. Use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Don't believe so from what I could see, certainly not when there's a camera in front of them.

All for show. Hate seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's worse for me as it's a far better team contesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Very well put. I'm gutted tonight, and after last Sunday it's been a tough way to end what was an amazing season.

The one thing that gives me comfort is that when this team lost a CL final, they went out and won the next one. When they were pipped in the league, they went out and won the next one. They are an incredible bunch of players and coaching staff and the effort they have given over the season has been immense.

Gutted this evening but still proud. I hope they have a good break, a well-deserved rest, and we go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Now I can tell why Klopp disliked the domestic cups. He's a bit unfortunate that the lads he did play were quite good and got us to the finals of each. Next season, bin em early and keep the lads fresher.

Trents a serial winner at his age.

Prefer to have him with a winners mentality than having to build one from losing big finals.

Check that Real Madrid team out for what I mean.

That's my take on it..but I'm very salty at the moment. Actually I'm f@cking sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Trent probably very angry with himself, as he was mainly at fault for the RM goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep....we lost our clinical edge over the last few weeks to be fair ...falling over the line against the likes of Wolves, Newcastle, Villa etc.

Disappointing to lose of course but this team deserves immense praise and recognition for the season they've put in.

Instead of praise and recognition they'll probably get an avalanche of horrible hot takes ("player X is done", "Klopp has been found out etc") from juvenile wannabe edgelords

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Trent proved in the Fa cup final he can be a brilliant defender. Just a momentary lapse in concentration tonight.

Unbelievable season, Liverpool were there for the last second of every competition they could have won, and won two of them.

But, some thoughts on this.

The competition will get harder, not easier. I’ve loved watching Bobby for the last 5 years, he has to go along with Ox, Milner, Taki, Jones and much as I hate to say it, Thiago.

It was well flagged that TAA was the weak point, and it proved to be the case. That’s the risk in tight games.

Salah has not been the same player since AFCON, Jota has tailed off over the last couple of months and Keita just doesn’t show up in big matches.

I think Liverpool need at least two top midfielders, a good RB to push TAA the way Tsaimakes pushes Robbo and a CF.

Shankley said after winning the league that he needed to rebuild to win again, given the quality of MC and the CL, that is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Yep i'd agree. With the heavy schedule i'd be playing the under 18s in the cups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I thought Bobby was really good against Southampton and really good when he came on toinght. I def don't want him shipped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I just want to scream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There's one player who's form is really concerning and it's Jota. He can play through the middle or no where because his all round play is not very good. Get him between the posts or don't play him. And he was poor again today, like he has been for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

That's exactly what I think we need....competition for TAA (Ramsay), a forward (Nkunku) and 2 midfielders (Tchouameni + 1 other).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't like singling out players but over the course of the season, I feel that Naby probably has done more wrong than good.

I've seen him do some nice plays but I've also noticed so much of his play has been very irritating.

Trent was very poor tonight but he does so much for the team through out the season that you can let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The problem is when Trent is off it attacking wise like tonight or like spurs for example pinging long balls aimlessly into the box or overcooking crosses his defensive lapses are just double down on his waste of attacking opportunities , it becomes a major liability.

My one concern in this game was Vinicius Jnr exposing Trent side for space and it’s exactly how we ended up conceding and Madrid had multiple chances down that side on the break . We also had a major warning end of first half with a very tight VAR call so no complaints overall . We didn’t deserve it . I would liked to have seen Diaz come on around 60th min mark as had a feeling it would a too much to ask from a player 4 months at the club .

Courtois will the plaudits but bar that shot from Salah shot In 2nd half you’d expect him to save the rest of them. Surreal & glorious & gutting season all one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t blame Trent for that goal. It was brilliant play by Madrid from defensive midfield all the way to the goal 4 or 5 players later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I actually thought trent defended excellently bar the goal.

Bizarre night, but can't help but feel Real were just destined to win it.

Watching analysis on all station, it was a defensive mistake, which RM took advantage of. A predictable one unfortunately.

We could really do with a Fabinho-type announcement on Monday morning for a bit of a lift after that, just like 2018.

• Advertisement

City chased the Pepsi Cola Cup and FA Cup for several seasons, and always suffered in the CL, it's a lot of games,and we did look tired tonight, or lacking cohesion, back to getting knockout out in the first round please next season

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

This team needs a centre forward, a presence in the box. For the amount of crosses we bomb in we need someone who can win headers and score scrappy goals when the perfect option isn't available. I know it's not our "style" But we need that option. 

They got their tactics spot on, bypassed their own midfield 7-8 men behind the ball, and countered with 3-4 men. They waited for an error which they knew would come and it did. Immense discipline from them, absolute winners mentality, win at all costs. 

Such a shame they had our number, they are a poor enough side who will improve in next couple of years, we should be winning the level we are at. 

Gutting to say we've lost 3 of our last 4 CL finals. Good job it was Spurs we played last time

One thing’s for sure, there won’t be a bucket hat sewn in Manchester all week after that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Me too. Are you watching Pearl Jam on Sky arts also?

Did Mane do his big announcement

Had to turn off everything football related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What the f**k was a 4 time CL winning manager doing at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The more I hear and see about the mess made of accommodating fans at the CL final , the more I think that rather than targeting English fans, the fact it was Liverpool fans influenced everything for an obvious old reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's bizarre as not like we haven't created chances in those finals. We have. Would put that down to a freakish small sample size to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

People completely overstate how poor Real are. Yes, they are not as good as when they had Ronaldo in his prime but they still have a lot of very good players.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

All the defenders including Trent have conceded one goal in 3 cup finals , they have done their job , zero blame on him or any of them , the guile and current form of our attack is fully responsible here , they have been bailed out in two finals by defence and with the possession they were given today should have won the game , or done more than force 2-3 saves from Courtois .

Klopp looks devastated

I still can't figure this one out, was never checked, and no one seemed to question it, it was MOVE ON FAST, BUT I don't get it. Commentary was like '' oh yea, VJ onside, Trents boot is keeping him on'' But that is not his dam boot, that's VJ arm, with his WHITE WRISTBAND. Trents boot, give me a break.

Is the red line suppose to be on Trents boot? That's VJ Wristband on his arm, geez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not much to figure out. I see his leg (TAA) further out than his body. Pretty clear. Big failure from Liverpool this season to basically not win anything all things considered. The 2 competitions they won on penalties they barely wanted to win. How hypocritical? Can you parade the FA Cup and Carabao cup when Morton has more appearances in them than Salah? Dick move mugging off the American journalist in the press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I hate the day after losses like this. Its the "What if?" day. What if we started Firmino instead of Diaz? He occupies defenders better in the middle and Diaz is better when the other team plays a higher line. Maybe Diaz would have been better against tired defenders later on when there was more space.

We were better than them on the night but could not find a breakthrough. The stats bear this out and other than the offside goal and their goal they created nothing of note. Yes once they went ahead they had chances on the break but that was because we were committing more players forward. I don't think they care but this is not a long term plan for success. It worked for them this year but I don't think they can do that as the mighty Real every year.

Ah well, on to next season then. It will be more hectic than seaon year with no breaks for any team due to the World Cup in December. At least we have the knowledge of how to cope with that from this year. I think we will use that and have another good season. That is my hope at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Of course there’s blame, Valverde had all day to cross, TAA actually looked over his shoulder and saw Vini Jr and didn’t even react to him. He ended up getting closer to Konate than anything. This burying of heads in the sand when it comes to his defending from fans and pundits needs to stop. Going forward he wasn’t great either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Quite a unique perspective to say Liverpool haven’t one anything this season, except the two cups.

Yah the response to the American journalist was a bit churlish, when I heard it I thought he should be better than that. But all the managers do that at times, Ferguson would sometimes destroy one who asked a silly question.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

This. Excuses can be made for him when he is caught out too far forward. But many times last night it was him giving the ball away when he was in forward positions which was leaving us open to the counter many times. He had a nightmare in terms of distribution and Robertson was no better.

The excuse doesn't cover him for their goal. He was in a position to cover Vinicius. He looked back and saw him but didn't react. No change of direction or change of pace. You can be sure Carvajal would have burst a gut getting back if it was Diaz making the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Disappointing result, but, was happy enough with the general performance, probably our best performance in CL final under Klopp. We created enough chances to get something out of the game, we weren't clinical enough with our chances and Courtois was outstanding. Real tbf were very disciplined and once they scored there was only one likely outcome.

Real just know how to win Champions Leagues even with better teams around. They and Ancelotti seem to have our number. Not a lot more we could have done, our defending at times seemed a bit erratic, they took their chances, we were very lucky with the offside goal, felt it should have stood- awful defeating for it. Real seemed to be destined to win it this year, especially the way they managed to get over PSG, Chelsea and Man City.

Very disappointing finish to a great season for the team, so close to the league last week and could easily have won last night, overall a fantastic season with a disappointing finish. I think it'll be tough to recover from this, they have suffered a lot of tough setbacks over the last 4/5 years, losing 2 CL finals, 2 league titles by a point with 90 plus points, last season destroyed by injuries when the league title was probably theirs to take, very hard to keep coming back from those setbacks and couldn't properly celebrate the league title win and even the parade today will be overshadowed by last night's result. Their performances over the last 4/5 years deserve more than 1 league title and 1 CL, plus a few cups, but, we're up against an exceptional opponent in City domestically and CL is always difficult to win. Hard to expect anymore from the team, they had an exceptional season just coming up short in the two major competitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement