Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TitianGerm wrote: »
    WTF are motd at.
    jebidiah wrote: »
    What are they at?

They are cutting between games showing the goals as they go in time wise, they have been doing that every time there is situations like this at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ardent wrote: »
    Didn't matter in the end as we would have finished third on goal difference anyway.

But yeah a huge goal at the time.

The squad needs a shake-up and Champions League means we can compete for the best players.

I think it did matter as it changed the mentality required across all 3 teams for the last games, they all became must wins (even more than before).

Allison's goal gave us the belief we were going to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I enjoy the format tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, Vardy absolutely bought that 2nd penalty. Should have been a yellow for diving, but he was fairly clever about it. You’d like to think VAR would have overturned it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Knex* wrote: »
    Also, Vardy absolutely bought that 2nd penalty. Should have been a yellow for diving, but he was fairly clever about it. You’d like to think VAR would have overturned it though.

And Mane got nothing for the keeper grabbing him around the thigh in the Newcastle game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think it did matter as it changed the mentality required across all 3 teams for the last games, they all became must wins (even more than before).

Allison's goal gave us the belief we were going to do it.

Absolutely. Ali's goal was massive. Huge boost to Liverpool, and a big blow to the other two as maybe they started thinking that they were only playing for one spot between them instead of two, and the pressure which that brought. Sliding doors moment.

Yeah, never a penalty at all.

How VAR agreed that was a peno I don't know.

Werner is basically Inzhagi, except Inzhagi scored the occasional non offside goal also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

My phone is hopping the last few days, the opposition are rightly getting their digs in.

Personally I think we'll be the last ones laughing, but you never know the way this crazy season is going.

You were right! We did have the last laugh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The mentality monsters returned at the right time ! From 8th to 3rd in ten games .. fantastic achievement considering everything we've gone through. Some massive performances over the the last few weeks...Trent putting his England disappointment behind him and getting back to his best driving us on, Thiago playing his way into the world class midfielder we know he can be, alisson with our goal and interview of season..after all he's been through and Nat and Rhys at the back... unbelievable from the two young lads steeping in and stepping up.
    Special mention to Gini. Gonna miss him. What a signing he's been. Knows the klopp gameplan inside out, is on of our three captains, never gave less than 100% and when everyone else was getting injured etc we could always rely on Gini. The amount of games he played. One of Klopps go to guys. Pity he didn't sign for a few more years..a fantastic servant to the club and I wish him well. We'll always have Barca.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I roll my eyes at the WUMS saying every team has to deal with injuries every season and its not really an excuse for us this season, course they do, but Liverpool this season was off the scale for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Being blunt, I couldn't care less really.

He was apparently offered a good contract for a 30 year old (who has regressed slightly), 3 years with a nice pay rise. He wanted 4 years with a ridiculous pay rise (he is not worth 190,000 a week).

He turned it down.

There's a back dated nature to it. If we'd given him 100k -120k and a 2 year extension after the lost cl final we wouldn't be in this situation.

60k was robbery. He knows it and the club knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not having a crowd all season probably helped Philips and Williams settle into the team, today was probably the biggest crowd Williams played in front of. Williams in particular came in for a lot of stick, I'll admit I'm not his biggest fan but, tbf to him he did alright considering he rarely played with a senior CB and wouldn't have expected to play for the first team in any meaningful match this season. This will stand to him in the future, not sure he'll make it with us, but, should have a decent career somewhere.
    Philips has been brilliant for us once he belatedly got his chance, has hardly put a foot wrong and has earned his place in the squad now. A player we know we can depend on if required next season and won't rock the boat when not playing.
    When you think of where they were at the start of the season, the two lads deserve great credit as without them we wouldn't have made the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hated the new jersey until I saw it on the players today. Looked less orange. I actually like it now. Definitely buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

8/8 league wins now with Fabinho & Thiago together in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Never again will I doubt a Jurgen Klopp Liverpool side. Absolute remarkable achievement qualifying for champions league after the depths of the Fulham/Burnley/Everton home defeats and countless injuries to boot. Fair play to them. What a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Crazy what you get away with for being English, same game Harry Kane got away with a clear handball right before setting up Bale to make it 3-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Amazing finish to the season given how much we suffered with injuries to key first team players.

Our no. 1 and 2 CB missing 45 and 39 games respectively.

Our two new signings both missing 21 games.

Our captain missing 17 games.

Our best DM missing 11 games.

United went unbeaten away from home in a season in the first time in their history. First club to do that and not win the league. And they still only finished 5 points above us.

A fully fit squad going in to next season will be like having new signings back to this team that just went unbeaten in 10 games.

It's unfortunate for player and country that VVD will miss the Euro's but it's great for us. Also Gomez.

I hope Trent stays out of the English set up and gets a rest for the summer. He suffered in performance this season coming back from Covid.

Copa America is more of a worry now with Allison, Fabinho and Bobby. Although I think Ederson will be picked ahead of Ali for Brazil it's more the Covid risk and quarantines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just watching MOTD, we need to sign an English number 9 for the penalties.

Worst home record since the 1930s, for large parts of the season we couldn't score or defend and finish third.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just watching MOTD, we need to sign an English number 9 for the penalties.

It's not even just the diving they get away with either, this is far more blatant and impactful a handball leading to a goal than most that get disallowed, the replays were viewed, and it was allowed to stand:

giphy.gif

We got a goal disallowed when our player was fouled into the ball hitting his hand in his own half:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have to say back in early March I thought Klopp had lost the dressing room and it was the beinging of the end,

I was so so wrong brilliant form to end the season now to keep it up and go win somehting again next year,

Its been a really poor season but also hugely important year for guys like Trent who had his first dip & pulled through brilliantly & Thaigo who because of injury covid or whatever had a very hard start but has shown he is world class and belongs here,

Nat Phillips is the player who benefited most this season
    A career that looked to be over or never really even started at the top level , he got a chance and by god did he take it, It may not be with us long term but they chap now has a future in the Prem or at very least the top end of the Championship delighted for the guy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Really sad to see Gini go, I will miss that big smile of his! A very important part of what this team has achieved, his ability to retain possession under pressure is unbelievable, his athleticism and pressing will be missed and he will be a big player for whoever he signs for next.

However, part of me feels that this is the right move for both parties. He is the first important player to leave since we started winning trophies and will probably be the start of a gradual phasing out of this team. If he was given a new long term contract then we would have Henderson, Thiago, Milner & Gini all the wrong side of 30 and that could very quickly catch up on the team. Especially in that area you need to have a mixture of experience and young legs. Not that Gini looks like he is slowing down but unfortunately that weariness in the legs can come out of nowhere and all of a sudden you start to look like an old team. We dont have the financial power like City to just spend our way to a quick overhaul so it will have to be gradual.

He will obviously need to be replaced and unfortunately it doesnt look like Naby is going to become the player we all thought he was going to be. I feel sorry for him because he has had no luck with injuries but I dont think we can wait for him any longer. So hopefully we can go out and get an energetic up and coming young midfielder who will come close to replacing Gini but it will be a tough ask for any player.

Thanks for all the memories Gini, you are loved by us all and will be missed. YNWA. (Just dont go do something stupid now like join Chelsea!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have to say back in early March I thought Klopp had lost the dressing room and it was the beinging of the end,

I was so so wrong brilliant form to end the season now to keep it up and go win somehting again next year,

Really big of you to come out and own that - Fair play, genuinely.

I hope we can all take this into next season and be a little slower to react when there's a dip in form. It's easy to hop right into the doom and gloom but if there were ever a team/manager combo that has earned a bit of breathing room from fans, it's this one we have right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

x43r0 wrote: »

I hope we can all take this into next season and be a little slower to react when there's a dip in form. It's easy to hop right into the doom and gloom but if there were ever a team/manager combo that has earned a bit of breathing room from fans, it's this one we have right now

See, it was way more than a dip. It was the worse home run in history.

Now yes, any calls for management changes etc were mental and the team has a lot of banked faith but if you were on here bemoaning the team and form and being a bit fearful than that was completely understandable imo.

For me we should do the following

Get rid of Gini, Shaq, Origi, Taki , Kabak , One of Keita / OX

Get a new CB, CM (Gini replacement ) CF ( 9) Then get one attacking mid for Ox or Naby goes ,

Bring back Elliot ,
    Loan out Rhys,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Its been a really poor season but also hugely important year for guys like Trent who had his first dip & pulled through brilliantly & Thaigo who because of injury covid or whatever had a very hard start but has shown he is world class and belongs here,

Nat Phillips is the player who benefited most this season
    A career that looked to be over or never really even started at the top level , he got a chance and by god did he take it, It may not be with us long term but they chap now has a future in the Prem or at very least the top end of the Championship delighted for the guy ,

One thing I will say about Phillips that has really surprised me is that he is extremely confident and assured on the ball. He is far from just the "He would head a double decker bus outta the box" player that he is perceived to be. I think his lack of pace, especially on the turn, will probably prevent him from staying with us long term but fair play to him for taking his chance and he will certainly have a long career at a top level ahead of him now.

I would certainly hold on to him for the time being. His form has probably denied Kabak a chance of signing for us. I would be more than happy with Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip (Even though wouldnt be opposed to selling him either, fantastic player but too man injuries unfortunately), New Signing (Konate) and Phillips. I'm sure after the season he has had Nat wouldnt be happy with being 4th or 5th choice but I'd reckon he would get plenty of games as it might take a while before Van Dijk and Gomez get back to full fitness

x43r0 wrote: »

Not big at all its only football if I have an opinion & it turns out wrong then sound especially if its for the better of the side we all love,
    People in football get to caught up in things ,

We can all have our thought but the lads on the pitch & mangers can always prove us wrong & delighted they did,

I really think Trent will have grown so much from this season the way he bounced back without fuss just shows how good the chap is,

............. Phillips................ I would be more than happy with Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip (Even though wouldnt be opposed to selling him either, fantastic player but too man injuries unfortunately), New Signing (Konate) and Phillips. ..........................

Philips will of course also benefit from playing alongside one of Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip or AN Other ......... no offence to Williams of course. Williams did a great job recently for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Augeo wrote: »
    Philips will of course also benefit from playing alongside one of Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip or AN Other ......... no offence to Williams of course. Williams did a great job recently for us.

Phillips has been the big winner in all of this, as others have said id be happy for him to stick around for the next 5 years as a 4th choice CB playing 10-15 games a season across all comps.

he has proven himself capable.

#boltonbaresi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I see the General Thread is gone very quite the last few weeks with posters gone AWOL. They were only too happy to say what a waste the transfer of Thiago was and that klopp was finished at liverpool and he had the players ran into the ground. They weren't long going into hiding again
    mightyreds wrote: »
    Big build up to this weekend too lots of posts the last few weeks when Leicester and Chelsea won about how the race for top 4 was very enjoyable but they never stuck around for the pay off today.

I bet it's absolutely sickening for them. They would have been imagining all sorts of madness, and it wasn't too much of a stretch to think Klopp's time at the club may have been at an end. And then zoom - 26 of the next 30 points, including the ultimate sickener last minute prime time BOOM goal, to salvage 3rd.

Must say I'm in rare form thinking about it all. The resilience of the project surprised me even. I'm crossing my fingers and toes now that TAA misses the England squad and him and Mane can rest up for a few weeks and be rearing to go in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I bet it's absolutely sickening for them. They would have been imagining all sorts of madness, and it wasn't too much of a stretch to think Klopp's time at the club may have been at an end. And then zoom - 26 of the next 30 points, including the ultimate sickener last minute prime time BOOM goal, to salvage 3rd.

Must say I'm in rare form thinking about it all. The resilience of the project surprised me even. I'm crossing my fingers and toes now that TAA misses the England squad and him and Mane can rest up for a few weeks and be rearing to go in August.

I agree, although it would be enjoyable to see him play against Andy in a competitive game on June 18th.

Hopefully Scotland do their usual and not make it past the group stage so Andy can start his rest as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its almost as if trent got a worse dose of covid than perhaps expected and as a young lad that was on the go for 3 years straight had a bit of a dip,

he is back on it now in fairness :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Hopefully Scotland do their usual and not make it past the group stage so Andy can start his rest as soon as possible.

It wouldn't be Scotland if they didn't!

Anyone know what number Mbappe will be ? ….could you just imagine ,

Allison , VVD ,Fab ,Thiago, Salah & and M'bappe in the same side,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Great end to the season.

Amazing to think that in the past, this would be have been considered a very good season. Now it is the floor of our ambition, with all that happened this year with injuries, VAR, covid, etc. We are still able to be the 3rd best time in the league. In reality probably the second best team in the league.

Hopefully with a rest, good pre-season, crowds back and our injured players returning we can compete at the top of the league again. Still think we need a fresh rather than a rebuild - centre back, midfielder and forward player required. With the AFCON happening in the middle of next season and missing Salah and Mane, we need another up front. Also required if Firmino and Mane's form does not pick up and be sustained across the season.

Konate, Bissouma and another would be my hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

For all the negatives this year, it has ended on a pretty positive note, which hopefully continues into next season. It will be interesting to see who leaves and who comes in. I think the Gini to Barca transfer is a non-runner now, based on the comments yesterday and compare that to the Aguero interviews on the same subject.
    The biggest turning point was playing the younger CB's and letting them get on with it. I have been really impressed with their attitude and ability to get on the end of things in the opposition box for set pieces, something the team has really missed with VVD out. Both took knocks yesterday that more fragile players wouldn't have stayed on with and it also seemed that Williams had been struggling with injury for a few weeks that hampered his ability to train. For the position they play, they are years from the top of their games and I'd hate to see either be shipped out permanently, especially given how injury-prone the more senior guys are(Not including VVD in that, as that was a freak injury).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For me we should do the following

Get rid of Gini, Shaq, Origi, Taki , Kabak , One of Keita / OX

Get a new CB, CM (Gini replacement ) CF ( 9) Then get one attacking mid for Ox or Naby goes ,

Bring back Elliot ,
    Loan out Rhys,

I seen the Southampton game highlights yesterday, he looked very dangerous could of scored 1 or 2. For me he stays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It's not even just the diving they get away with either, this is far more blatant and impactful a handball leading to a goal than most that get disallowed, the replays were viewed, and it was allowed to stand:

giphy.gif

We got a goal disallowed when our player was fouled into the ball hitting his hand in his own half:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

They changed the rules on it though which is another ludicrous part of this season, that Salah goal would stand now. Hand ball rules I think changed at least twice during the season and we also had the bar for var intervention being tweaked a few times.

No rule changes should be happening during a season. As you say we had goals ruled out that other teams had allowed stand and those decisions affected things like finishing points, positions and top goal scorer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

.G. wrote: »
    They changed the rules on it though which is another ludicrous part of this season, that Salah goal would stand now. Hand ball rules I think changed at least twice during the season and we also had the bar for var intervention being tweaked a few times.

No rule changes should be happening during a season. As you say we had goals ruled out that other teams had allowed stand and those decisions affected things like finishing points positions and top gila scorer etc.

Rules were changed before that Salah goal V Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm crossing my fingers and toes now that TAA misses the England squad and him and Mane can rest up for a few weeks and be rearing to go in August.

i'd bet good money that TAA misses out.

Trippier has been great for Atletico by all accounts, and is a Southgate favourite.
    Walker is nailed.
    Reece James also seems to be a favourite.

for any forward thinking manager in world football, Trent is one of the first names on the team sheet. thankfully, for us, Southgate is anything but that.

I reckon Trent is staying home, and will get the rest he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Rules were changed before that Salah goal V Spurs

They might have been, like I said changed a couple of times but that goal was ruled out for handball in the build up, that rule was changed at some point after that to say only handball by the goal scorer or the fella making the assist now counts and it has to be immediately before the goal which clearly wasn't the case for that one.

rob316 wrote: »
    I seen the Southampton game highlights yesterday, he looked very dangerous could of scored 1 or 2. For me he stays[/QUOTE

He's been really poor for them ,
    There fans complaining he was playing over others ,

If Trent doesn't fit your system then yeah fine don't start him, but you have to be some fool to not want a creator like him on the bench for when you need a goal, absolute madness to not have him in the squad at all.

Their loss is our gain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm glad Trent will be getting a rest, he has played alot of football over the last few years for a young lad. The mind actually boggles though how you wouldn't want him in your starting XI let alone your squad. England are blessed with a number of good RB's but none can do what Trent can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just looking at stats. Fulham were the last team to beat us on March 7th. Since then, we have played 10, won 8 and drew 2. Fulham played 10, won 0, drew 2 and lost 8.

Still can't believe we lost 6 in a row at home. And didn't win at home from Dec 16th to April 10th. Mental stats. We had the 5th best home record and the 5th best away record, which shows how randomly the others played as well.

Hopefully Mane gets back to Senegal for a long deserved break, even though it'll be a circus around him there. I'm delighted he scored twice yesterday, probably better for him to score twice rather than Mo as it gives him something for the summer. Obviously would be better if Mo got even with Kane, but that's life.

And hopefully Alisson gets back to Brazil to grieve his Dad and he can start to get that out of his system. He still carries it as a major burden, he's had some bloopers, but he can get back to the level he was at in 2019/20.

Onwards and upwards, 11 weeks to kick-off and I can't wait. We're not perfect and we still have to iron out a lot of issues, but I've every faith in them. I only have the Connacht Semi-Final to look forward to now, and that's 6 bloody weeks away.

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Great end to the season.

Amazing to think that in the past, this would be have been considered a very good season. Now it is the floor of our ambition, with all that happened this year with injuries, VAR, covid, etc. We are still able to be the 3rd best time in the league. In reality probably the second best team in the league.

Hopefully with a rest, good pre-season, crowds back and our injured players returning we can compete at the top of the league again. Still think we need a fresh rather than a rebuild - centre back, midfielder and forward player required. With the AFCON happening in the middle of next season and missing Salah and Mane, we need another up front. Also required if Firmino and Mane's form does not pick up and be sustained across the season.

Konate, Bissouma and another would be my hope.

Get Jota on the phone to Neves and Neto. Neves would be a great addition to our midfield and Neto would be a good squad option with bags of potential.

Get Jota on the phone to Neves and Neto. Neves would be a great addition to our midfield and Neto would be a good squad option with bags of potential.

I don't get the Neves hype to me he looks very ordinary ,

Neto is great but injured ,

We 100% need another attacker with Mane & Salah off to the African nations in January

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The whole Gini situation does leave a bad taste in the mouth. He doesn't want to leave. Everybody with the exception of the board wants to keep him. Will be interesting to hear the real reasons behind the contract stand-off

The whole Gini situation does leave a bad taste in the mouth. He doesn't want to leave. Everybody with the exception of the board wants to keep him. Will be interesting to hear the real reasons behind the contract stand-off

If they didn't want him they wouldn't have offered a three year contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement