Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sell Mane if wants to go and buy another Diaz type signing, I'm sure the club will do the right thing with Klopp overseeing the Ins and outs. Keep Salah for another season and by Christmas he'll see how it's working out for Mane at another club and it might encourage him to sign a new deal.

At the end of day the manager is a massive part in how these guys consistently perform like superstars and it's shown in the past that when players move on it doesn't always work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With the asking price only being around ~40 million, would expect a few offers to come in alright. Good value at that sort of price for a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Quite a few reports now that we are in talks for Gnabry who has a year left on his contract.

Maybe a swap deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I kind of got the impression he wants Munich or talks had progressed with Munich, which world indicate its them or stay.

World be surprised if the club let him go for a measly 40mil (unless they have a replacement already in the works).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You never know with these things - like, Real paid a fortune for Hazard with only a year left, but i don't see that sort of deal happening at the moment, and Hazard was a few years younger at the time too. James Pearce is reporting 50 million euros, which is 42 million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Mane’s comments in that Senegal interview coupled with his interview before the CL final about having a “special surprise”’ for fans about his contract while smiling seem like he’s almost trolling the club and Liverpool fans now. It’s very unlike him as he’s always come across so respectful and humble in the past.

Hoping all of this was just a negotiation ploy but looks like hes angry his terms aren’t been improved enough or he just really wants to leave as isn’t happy . I’ll be really gutted to lose him especially with City strengthening their forward like so much with Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Probably just a prestige thing. They want their star man at a Madrid, Barca or Bayern

Also, it's kind of a nonsensical statement - like, if you ask a whole bunch of random people if they'd like to see, say, Mbappe, leave PSG - all the non-PSG fans will say yes. But if you ask where they want him to go, they'll all give different answers based on who they support.

As soon as he goes somewhere else, you'd still expect 60-70% of fans to not want him at wherever he ends up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty disappointing comments from Mane both before and after the CL final. You want to give a club legend the benefit of the doubt but yeah, not a good look overall. You can never get too attached to players at the club. Most are just passing through. That said he probably has a legit gripe that he's been underpaid the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think Sadio is leaving as he's just realised Ox gets paid a better weekly wage than he does, if reports are true....

That's not right.... (if it is true)

Generally these things always boil down to money, if he asked for 390k a week I can see why the club can't and won't meet it, I think the Salah contract thing set the precedent of what was to come...

Some french speaker's saying he is half joking in that interview, so we will see what happens now down the line....

I would love the club to tie him and Salah down to at least another 2 years...

You don't see Bobby going and doing this stuff, the opposite in fact...

Post edited by Riesen_Meal on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I wouldn't bother getting hung up on what Mane said or may say in the near future. He's not trolling anyone, just he's made up his mind that he'd like a new chapter in his playing career and the negotiating will play out now.

It's silly season. All manner of sound bytes, badly translated interviews, and agent angling will be printed to fill column inches. Best get on with life and ignore until next season is upon us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

Bobby's behaviour in this is interesting, to contrast him with his 2 partners and the shannannighans of their agents and him.

They are not at the same level obviously in terms of profile obviously, but still interesting to note the difference in approach at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He has an agent, he could have asked for a better wage in the past 3 years if he was bothered about how much everyone else is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Has there been any breakdown leaked of how Liverpool's contract bonuses work? There wasn't any major difference in spending on salaries between 2020 and 2021, despite winning the league in one of the seasons. Does it mainly come down to CL qualification? There's very little difference between United and Liverpools spending on wages when both qualify for the CL despite a huge difference in the quoted base salaries for players at each club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Silly season well and truly upon us with all these "rumours". Been proven over and over again that it's all shite talk. Forget about it till you see someone in a new jersey.

I fully expected Mane's big announcement was to be him lifting the CL Cup for Liverpool beaming from ear to ear and showing via his actions that he was committed to winning trophies with Liverpool or something like that.

Maybe he has other intentions but these journalists are all spoofers 99.9% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Poor Mane, you'd swear he had no agent or was forced to sign his very lucrative current contract. If he doesn't want to play for us anymore, let him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We Are Liverpool , This Means More

Terms and Conditions Apply ie (If we're talking about wages, it means less, far far less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's the likes of Mane and Salah that gets us into the CL, and then gets us into the final stages of the CL, owners should not take that for granted, it's not easy what we are doing, rewarding Mane and Salah is a no-brainer

I don't know where our wages are going to. If you compare our wages to other teams we are up there in terms of wages.

We have a bigger squad it seems, more players on higher wages than the other teams most likely, but that is how we were able to be in contention for 4 trophies. But our players will not be poor by any stretch.

Just to add to these numbers, Sportrac has our wages for this year at £139m in total. Maybe that is after tax? I don't know, but as we can see we do pay our players well. It is the players right to not accept the wage we offer, but lets not pretend that we are paying our players a pittance compared to our rivals.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't take much from that Sportrac link to be honest... I mean, they have Nat Phillips listed as 64k a week - he was actually on more like 6k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

6k a week is still a great wage, especially for someone who is not playing week in, week out. Its up to the individual to negotiate the best deal for themselves. What anyone else gets is irrelevant if you sign your contract.

Konate’s holiday ended early as he is called up the French squad for there next 3 games after Varane drops out injured.

This is his first call up to the senior squad.

I know, another website has our wages on £171m for the year. They have Mane on £200k per week. So we don't know what he is on when he signed his extension. The Guardian has him on £150k per week when he signed his extension in 2018,

"Mané, who moved to Anfield from Southampton in 2016 for £34m, has been in negotiations with Liverpool over a new deal since the end of last season but has now agreed terms on what is understood to be a five-year deal lasting until 2023 worth around £150,000 a week. It is a justified reward for the 26-year-old, who has scored 40 goals from 89 appearances and was voted as the club’s player of the year in his debut season."

While nowhere near the likes of Ronaldo or De Bryune this would have meant he has been well compensated for the last 4 years since he signed the extension. Let us not pretend like he was playing for us for a pittance, he was well rewarded and one of the higher earners of our squad at a time where we were still not winning trophies or challenging for titles. After he signed the extension we won our first trophy and had our first title challenge, I am sure those are linked. He has been well paid by since he signed for us and he has repaid us in buckets as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Total salaries for 2020 was 289m, so that 171 is presumably just reported base salaries of players.

TAA playing right of a midfield 4 for England besde Bellingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Any chance we can get Pedro from Barcelona?? Is he out of our buying range?? Our midfield is lacking a younger Modric type. Is Pedro the best fit for that, or us Gavi even better player?? Can we get one of them or maybe even both??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Pedri.

He signed a contact with a €1b buyout clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That fella changes flip flops more than a fish out of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Regardless of how much we should have been compensating Mane these past few years, he is certainly not worth what he is asking for now.

At 30 years old, I say hold him to his last year and then let him go... and bring in someone younger and with more hunger.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

How do you rate these lads to previous strikers? Salah and Mane by numbers are brilliant but in comparison to the likes of Owen, Fowler, Torres, Suarez and even Sturridge, I wonder how would they perform under Klopp. I would definitely pick Suarez and The Torres we had in 2008 and I also think Owen was unreal around 98 to 2002.

How do I not pick Fowler? But yeah he's not getting in over the other guys I mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Fowler in the box was better than the rest. His general all round play wasn't as good as any of the above with the exception of maybe Sturridge?

Neco Williams starting left midfield for Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

As much as I love everyone you mentioned, I can't see past a front three of prime Suarez-Torres-Salah

They'd be scoring 30 each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Fowler would shade Torres for me. Suarez Fowler and salah. With Mascerano and fabhino and Gerard behind them. The back 5 are unchanged from what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

For me Xabi Alonso was the best midfielder I have seen in a Liverpool jersey. I think a midfield of Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano shades any combination of our current midfield. Salah, Torres, Suarez upfront. Allison in goals. Trent just about gets in at rb over Babbel and Finnan. Virgil and Matip cb's and a toss up between Robertson and Riise for lb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Don't get the Mascherano love tbh..

Great tackler, great heart but could only pass the ball 5 yards either side of him.

Fab is in my opinion 5 times the player..

But then again is did see Souness playing for us so it's a high bar I hold for all our midfielders. I'd have our own Ronnie Whelan well ahead of Masch too.

Maybe I'm just old 🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Robertson is better than Riise any day.

Trent is a funny one. The team is set up for him to float forward and send in crosses. Don't think he'd be as good in a Houllier or Rafa team as they were too conservative but his quality is so high they'd have found a place for him in midfield. Equally I don't think Finnan or Babbel would work as well as Trent in today's team. A big case of horses for courses.

Whelan would walk into this pool team and any team in the world right now he was a true world class player he might be bitter now but should not take away from what a player he was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

But, do you not realise football only started in 1992, it didn't exist before then.....

Probably wouldn't have gotten in ahead of Trent, as Trent is just genuinely special - but I'd have loved to see Finnan under Klopp. Think he could have turned him into an even better and more dynamic player than he was for us. Was a fantastic crosser off both feet, and brilliantly tactically aware, think Klopp would've loved him.

Ronnie was very good, I’m not sure he was world class or would be get into the top teams today playing the way he did. It is difficult to compare players from different eras, had Ronnie played in this era with the focus on fitness, diet, tactics, yes he may have been a better player and be world class. But even though I have been supporting Liverpool since the 70s, he doesn’t stand out as one of the players who I think would be a top player today.

I think it is fair to say that football changed significantly in 1992, there are other reasons as well such as the Bosman ruling, the removal of overseas restrictions and the influx of quality foreign players which raised the level of the premier league.

Mascherano was awesome. He's a very different player to Fabinho though. Fab is a cool head, while Masch was a terrier with an incredible engine and tonnes of pace and aggression. In the modern game I think Masch would be used more like Kante, harrying and pressing like a monster, with a DM behind him. Fab, Masch, and Thiago would be an unreal midfield for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Football changed hugely in 1992, and it was primarily down to the abolition of the back pass. Sped up the game, cut down on time wasting, meant the ball was in play for much longer, and players needed to be fitter and leaner as a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement