Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The whole Gini situation does leave a bad taste in the mouth. He doesn't want to leave. Everybody with the exception of the board wants to keep him. Will be interesting to hear the real reasons behind the contract stand-off

I think it's because he definitely wants to leave and go to Barcelona to make loads of money but that could just be me...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Still cant believe we finished 3rd , unprecedented injuries to so many key players despite opposing fans` narrative.
    Imagine losing the best CB in the world then his partner in crime Joe Gomez. That blistering pace that allowed us to push more forward as a unit gone the security provided by these two speed machines literally vanished thus almost breaking the team and how they play as a result.
    Matip whom i rate as a better defender than Gomez but just doesnt have that raw pace gets injured soon after thats all three senior CBs out for the season again unprecendented.
    Two of our best midfielders Hendo and Fab try to patch up the void in CB but both also succumb to injury while our world class midfielder thiago also picks up a nasty injury and an extended period out of the team, he also gets covid then eventually gets fit enough to start and is put straight into a massively disfunctioning team and within days we have clowns on this footie board trying to claim he was a waste of money despite everything stacked against him [we know now how that ended with Thiago proving he is indeed world class]
    Jota banging in the goals also picks up a nasty injury and a lengthy spell on an ever increasing injury list while other players were also picking up injuries including Alisson.
    You really couldnt script this stuff if you tried but it gets even more crazy.
    Two young lads one barely out of his teens step in both with little to no pace and zero experience at this level thrown into positions vacated by genuine top tier CBs and your thinking this will not end well , but end well it did.

On top of all the injuries to our famed front three as a unit were missing chances constantly , i think at one stage they had 150+ chances created and NO conversions , this is just crazy stuff and just as much a hindrance as losing our 3 senior CBs if not more as it meant a huge pints loss directly.

Yet despite it all we managed to finish 3rd place and secure CL football certain rival fans must be absolutely sick :D

While Philips and Willams rightfully so receive a huge amount of praise the team as a whole dug so deep heroes the lot of them.
    What an achievement by Klopp and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole Gini situation does leave a bad taste in the mouth. He doesn't want to leave. Everybody with the exception of the board wants to keep him. Will be interesting to hear the real reasons behind the contract stand-off

It actually shows how well the club is ran these days

He wanted a longer contract on more money ,They offered him a pay rise but not as much as he wanted & a year less than he wanted ,

Thaigo, Henderson are the guys around his age who got longer contracts, We didn't want to have to many players getting old on big money , VVD will also get a new longer deal ,

It makes sense's ,

Liam O wrote: »
    I think it's because he definitely wants to leave and go to Barcelona to make loads of money but that could just be me...

If that's the case neither he or his agent have been reading the papers lately. Barcelona would appear to be in trouble financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get Jota on the phone to Neves and Neto. Neves would be a great addition to our midfield and Neto would be a good squad option with bags of potential.

Neves would be a great squad addition in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If that's the case neither he or his agent have been reading the papers lately. Barcelona would appear to be in trouble financially.

Which is exactly why signing someone for free and just paying their wages rather than a transfer fee would be so appealing. They still have huge revenue every season.

Which is exactly why signing someone for free and just paying their wages rather than a transfer fee would be so appealing. They still have huge revenue every season.

Which is going to pay debt and wages. What would be Gini's big pay day, €400k per week, ~€21m per year in Gross salaries alone. If Barca can afford that then the rumours of their financial woes are greatly exaggerated.

............. He doesn't want to leave. ...............

I'm sure if he really wanted to stay the offered 3 year extension with a decent salary could still be signed.

He wants more than what's being offered. The Gini of the next 3 seasons won't perform to the level of the last 3 so such is life etc etc, all the best Wij' ......... happiness, health and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Which is going to pay debt and wages. What would be Gini's big pay day, €400k per week, ~€21m per year in Gross salaries alone. If Barca can afford that then the rumours of their financial woes are greatly exaggerated.

On a free contract he's worth 200k a week. Dunno where the 400k came from.

Thiago is the same age, cost 30m and is reportedly on 200k a week.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    On a free contract he's worth 200k a week. Dunno where the 400k came from.

Thiago is the same age, cost 30m and is reportedly on 200k a week.

He could have got near €200k by staying at Anfield. It's presumed he's leaving for the big contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Allison and Fabinho are to be given new contracts this summer.

As good as we have been over the last 10 games result wise people have been critical of Gini's performances in that run.

Maybe he was protecting himself a little knowing he doesn't want to be injured while looking for a new team.

It would be difficult to offer a 30 year old a 4 year contract with increased wages when we already know that next season he will be a squad member to the midfield 3 more than an automatic first team selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

RM cutting their losses on Hazard.
    The ultimate luxury item. City or Chelsea I guess.

gimli2112 wrote: »

Can't see it City & Chelsea are to clever for that ,

PSG or Juventus

Possibly United ?

Looking forward to watching the FA Youth Cup Final this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gimli2112 wrote: »

They're stuck with him. Chelsea really sold them a pup, I always felt he was overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He has every right to leave IMO. He's 30, he can play 4 or 5 years at the top before he spends a couple of twilight years in the US or the Middle East.

It's been pointed out that his wages of €100K a week aren't much considering his ability. If he's looking at 4-5 years at the top then he should be looking for the biggest payday to set himself and his extended family up for life, I can't blame him, or begrudge him that.

Liverpool offered him less than he wanted as they want to avoid wage inflation, as well as having the midfield all around the same age and getting old together. The wage inflation could come back to bite us badly in a few years, so it should be regarded as a financially prudent decision.

I think the issue now is that Gini doesn't have a club, there's no confirmed contract with Barcelona AFAIK, and it seems Koeman might be on the way out, so it's possible he'll have to take less wages, or else hawk himself around a few leagues to get the contract he wants.

It could well come back to bite him, but it's a gamble that he himself thought was worth it, so he'll have to live with it. There is of course the nuclear option in that he returns to Anfield in August. Time will tell.

He was offered a contract but he wants a 4 year and be one of the top earners. I really don't see that as good business. Great, solid player for us, a legend even but he's replaceable with a more long term option. The age of the squad absolutely has to come down.

We just can't have an aging midfield, with no resale value, with them all on 200k a week. You'd rather see the money go on giving a big new contract to Fabinho and that's how they probably looked at it, give Fab the contract he should have or keep Gini and not give Fabinho a bigger contract. All these moves are well calculated, there is a budget after all.

The club has already shown with Can, they won't be bend on contract terms and are happy to let a player go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Knex* wrote: »
    Also, Vardy absolutely bought that 2nd penalty. Should have been a yellow for diving, but he was fairly clever about it. You’d like to think VAR would have overturned it though.

It was the WTF Moment Of The Season

Vardy pulling at Spurs player to make it look like Spurs player was pulling at him, and Ref and VAR are clueless even with a 100 replays

46-469978_hd-jackie-chan-meme-png-393765-transparent-png.png

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I bet it's absolutely sickening for them. They would have been imagining all sorts of madness, and it wasn't too much of a stretch to think Klopp's time at the club may have been at an end. And then zoom - 26 of the next 30 points, including the ultimate sickener last minute prime time BOOM goal, to salvage 3rd.

Must say I'm in rare form thinking about it all. The resilience of the project surprised me even. I'm crossing my fingers and toes now that TAA misses the England squad and him and Mane can rest up for a few weeks and be rearing to go in August.

There was definitely obituaries at the ready for this team/manager. Yet, here we are, in third place. Fantastic stuff.

Roll on August.

The only teams capable of a title challenge next season are ourselves and City. Utd had the season of their lives and couldn't muster one. With Ole in charge that won't change imo.

Chelsea are a maybe depending on who they bring in. Might be a season too early for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gini played the biggest part in CL qualification , considering it's worth up to 130m maybe just maybe they could have paid him the few million extra for the 4th years, or get him signed up, and sold next summer for 20m
    Maybe little sense to let a 40m pound player walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Emre can still only 27
    That goal against Watford...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    He was offered a contract but he wants a 4 year and be one of the top earners. I really don't see that as good business. Great, solid player for us, a legend even but he's replaceable with a more long term option. The age of the squad absolutely has to come down.

We just can't have an aging midfield, with no resale value, with them all on 200k a week. You'd rather see the money go on giving a big new contract to Fabinho and that's how they probably looked at it, give Fab the contract he should have or keep Gini and not give Fabinho a bigger contract. All these moves are well calculated, there is a budget after all.

The club has already shown with Can, they won't be bend on contract terms and are happy to let a player go.

Yeah I don't think the club can have Thiago, Henderson and Gini all on big money and long term contracts in central midfield given their ages. They need to get a younger player in there somewhere. Jones is coming along and they will probably replace Gini with a younger up and coming player for less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ebAwGsh.png

It is mad how finishing 3rd feels like a real cause for celebration, given the context of the season gone.

Genuinely excited for next year, and what I believe will be a proper title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What are the big priority signings going into the summer, does everyone think?

Assuming we sign Konate, that's CB sorted.

Then, I'd probably be looking at RB cover for Trent.

Anything after that I think is transfer dependant. For example, if we sell Keita I think we'll need another body in midfield.

Do we need another attacker considering the woes of Mane and Firmino for much of the season? Or does Jota being fit for a full year reduces the need? Again, if the likes of Origi and Shaqiri leave I think we'll need to sign another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Emre can still only 27
    That goal against Watford...

I watched Ireland U21s play Germany to check out the highly rated Irish player Jack Grealish, and Can absolutely bossed the game, was by a long way the best player on the pitch. He really didn't live up to my hype of him!

Anything after that I think is transfer dependant. For example, if we sell Keita I think we'll need another body in midfield.

Do we need another attacker considering the woes of Mane and Firmino for much of the season? Or does Jota being fit for a full year reduces the need? Again, if the likes of Origi and Shaqiri leave I think we'll need to sign another.

First and foremost for me is a real number 9
    Klopp has never bought one for us ,

All them 6 home losses in a row one proper 9 & we probably would have won the majority of them, We had the ball we had chances we couldn't finish,

Someone who can header a ball would be nice ,
    Trent got abuse for spamming crosses in them poor couple of month but with a Kane or a Cavani a lot of them would have lead to goals ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I bet it's absolutely sickening for them. They would have been imagining all sorts of madness, and it wasn't too much of a stretch to think Klopp's time at the club may have been at an end. And then zoom - 26 of the next 30 points, including the ultimate sickener last minute prime time BOOM goal, to salvage 3rd.

I admire the resilience of that one poster beating the single drum about Gini being treated badly or something. Had a nice giggle at that.

I really hope Klopp can get home now for a few weeks to mourn his Mother and get some well earned R&R.

The same goes for Ali I hope he can get home before the Copa and mourn his Father with the rest of his family.

Fans seem to forget that bad run of form came while Klopp & Ali were dealing with personal loss that no doubt effected everyone in the squad.

Striker/CF
    Midfielder to replace Gini
    CB who can stay fit longer then Matip and Gomez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

CB, Midfielder to replace Gini, and a RB cover/competition for TAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I really hope Klopp can get home now for a few weeks to mourn his Mother and get some well earned R&R.

The same goes for Ali I hope he can get home before the Copa and mourn his Father with the rest of his family.

Fans seem to forget that bad run of form came while Klopp & Ali were dealing with personal loss that no doubt effected everyone in the squad.

Must have been extremely tough for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Replace Gini...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

If they get a new Center Half that's first choice with VVD, then Gomez can cover for Trent with Neco and Milner. I don't see the club investing in a new right back with that choice.

For me it's a new centre half, then centre forward (not African as will lose too many to AFCON), then midfielder to replace Wijnaldum.

be great to get an English forward to get penalties like Vardy or Kane but they are thin on the ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Every effort should be made to keep one or both of Phillips and Williams until January at least.

Matip simply can't be relied on fitness wise and then there's the nightmare scenario of VVD and Gomez coming back and not being quite right and/or breaking down again.

And then we're back at square one with Fabinho, Henderson, Origi etc at centre back

Robert2014 wrote: »
    If they get a new Center Half that's first choice with VVD, then Gomez can cover for Trent with Neco and Milner. I don't see the club investing in a new right back with that choice.

For me it's a new centre half, then centre forward (not African as will lose too many to AFCON), then midfielder to replace Wijnaldum.

be great to get an English forward to get penalties like Vardy or Kane but they are thin on the ground!

Someone like DCL would b great just for something different ,

I think we need badly need someone who can header a ball so when teams sit in & can't be broken down we have that option , In saying that someone who can also get around,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At the time, this goal was didn't really affect a whole lot but it still remains a personal favourite of mine. Gini rounding off a nice counter attack in what was synonymous with the quick counter attacks of the early Klopp-era Liverpool teams. I was out for the day on the beer, backed Gini to score any time and can still remember the lift off when he scored and his song well into the night. Lost it all then that night backing David Haye against Bellew in the boxing! :pac:

Around that time, he scored some big goals - City & Chelsea in the league, and we really got to see how much of a big game player he was. Of course that goal against Boro followed at the end of season to put Liverpool en route to CL qualification for 17/18 and the start of 5 consecutive CL campaigns with Klopp at the helm

And another personal favourite. I was in the ground for this one, and you could just get a sense of the audacity from the crowd as he attempted the shot. Even better that it went in.

In a way, this was also a synonymous goal of the mid Klopp-era team. Controlled efficiencies created by patience before bursting into life and finishing with aplomb.

tumblr_pmqt4e92J51s0329fo1_540.gifv

2 underrated moments in the Liverpool career of Gini IMO, which could be very parallel with Gini as a whole. He signed in summer of 16/17 and while many will look to that summer's arrival of Mane as a kickstarter to the club in terms of recruitment, I feel it's very harsh to exclude Gini from this. He was just as important to the building of the current team and his almost perfect attendance record is a testament to himself. Only once in 5 seasons did he every miss back to back games, and that was when he had a bad dose of the runs! A key component in the PL & CL winning which also added a couple more trophies in there too.

He always gave 100% on the pitch, never complained publicly about playing time, wages etc and always had that infectious smile on his face. I'm delighted he was able to have a send off with fans yesterday, and have his little presentation in front of them too. Those infamous goals against Barca will always have a lasting memory in Liverpool fans eyes and never been forgotten. The fact he is leaving on good terms with the fans says a lot about him.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Every effort should be made to keep one or both of Phillips and Williams until January at least.

Matip simply can't be relied on fitness wise and then there's the nightmare scenario of VVD and Gomez coming back and not being quite right and/or breaking down again.

And then we're back at square one with Fabinho, Henderson, Origi etc at centre back

New CB & Philips will be fine also word is Davis will be kept around

Williams has done his bit , he deserves to go out on loan now & play every week to aid his development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think they're only infamous goals if you're not a Liverpool supporter and we all are here ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cartman78 wrote: »

Williams won't make it at Liverpool, he's just not good enough. If we could get £10m for him he should be sold.

Philips is a much better player and I'd like to see him stay but realistically he's now worth the most he'll ever be. If an offer of £20m came in he would most likely be sold. He'd be a perfect replacement for Mee at Burnley.

I'd rather we kept Kabak as well. There's very little risk involved with the €18m fee and even if we kept him for two to three years to see will he develop we would get that back easily.

Edit: add Konate or Botman as the main CB signing and we should be ok at CB for the next few years.

CB squad of VVD, Gomez, Matip, Konate/Botman & Kabak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Must say I'm in rare form thinking about it all. The resilience of the project surprised me even. I'm crossing my fingers and toes now that TAA misses the England squad and him and Mane can rest up for a few weeks and be rearing to go in August.

That was very very much a stretch to be fair.

But what i find about certain posters and their posts is that you can always quote them. Just quote their posts.

They either have to admit to trolling or they don't really have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Robert2014 wrote: »

It's looking likely that Tammy Abraham will be available this summer.

He scored 15 league goals in 25 starts in the 2019/20 season. 6 league goals in 12 starts in 20/21.

He's only 23 and Klopp could work his magic on him.

monkey9 wrote: »

But what i find about certain posters and their posts is that you can always quote them. Just quote their posts.

Didn't have to be either ,

I was vocal a couple of months ago that thought Klopp time might be coming end which wasn't really a stretch

We had lost 6 in a row at home & where still losing more players & things did not look like getting better, Thankfully they did

Now I knew it was not going to happen straight away but if it had continued & we finished 8th or lower then he would have been under real pressure to begin next season well ,He wasn't going to be sacked in the moment but thought we mite be looking at the beginning of the end ,

Delighted to be proved wrong and unbelievable effort from our players .
    How often do you ever see a recovery like that from the same group of players & as the options on the pitch are getting worse because of injury ,

Brilliant form the manger coaching staff & players ,We had more than just a blip & they came through it

Mad to think from August to the 1st January we where the best team in the league and then the best team in the league for the last 12 games,
    January 1st to End of March cost us dearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz* wrote: »
    At the time, this goal was didn't really affect a whole lot but it still remains a personal favourite of mine. Gini rounding off a nice counter attack in what was synonymous with the quick counter attacks of the early Klopp-era Liverpool teams. I was out for the day on the beer, backed Gini to score any time and can still remember the lift off when he scored and his song well into the night. Lost it all then that night backing David Haye against Bellew in the boxing! :pac:

Around that time, he scored some big goals - City & Chelsea in the league, and we really got to see how much of a big game player he was. Of course that goal against Boro followed at the end of season to put Liverpool en route to CL qualification for 17/18 and the start of 5 consecutive CL campaigns with Klopp at the helm

And another personal favourite. I was in the ground for this one, and you could just get a sense of the audacity from the crowd as he attempted the shot. Even better that it went in.

In a way, this was also a synonymous goal of the mid Klopp-era team. Controlled efficiencies created by patience before bursting into life and finishing with aplomb.

tumblr_pmqt4e92J51s0329fo1_540.gifv

2 underrated moments in the Liverpool career of Gini IMO, which could be very parallel with Gini as a whole. He signed in summer of 16/17 and while many will look to that summer's arrival of Mane as a kickstarter to the club in terms of recruitment, I feel it's very harsh to exclude Gini from this. He was just as important to the building of the current team and his almost perfect attendance record is a testament to himself. Only once in 5 seasons did he every miss back to back games, and that was when he had a bad dose of the runs! A key component in the PL & CL winning which also added a couple more trophies in there too.

He always gave 100% on the pitch, never complained publicly about playing time, wages etc and always had that infectious smile on his face. I'm delighted he was able to have a send off with fans yesterday, and have his little presentation in front of them too. Those infamous goals against Barca will always have a lasting memory in Liverpool fans eyes and never been forgotten. The fact he is leaving on good terms with the fans says a lot about him.

Wijnaldum should go down as a liverpool legend, rarely had an off day and was also a man for the big occasion.

I want particularly excited when we signed him, but what a player.

A decent fella too it would appear.

monkey9 wrote: »

Lots back tracking now on their hot takes during that period.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Wijnaldum should go down as a liverpool legend, rarely had an off day and was also a man for the big occasion.

Ye he seemed to be a bit of an after thought when he was singed ,
    It felt like most expected him to be a decent squad player but he became a vital part of the Klopp machine,

• Advertisement

Lots back tracking now on their hot takes during that period.

Not sure id call it back tracking ,

People felt like it mite be the end & where wrong about it ,

Imagine someone said last August we'd be all delighted just to make the top four ,

It's hard to predict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not sure id call it back tracking ,

People felt like it mite be the end & where wrong about it ,

Imagine someone said last August we'd be all delighted just to make the top four ,

It's hard to predict

I think the people who thought it was the end are in the tiniest minority. A larger subsection of fans were certainly concerned about our trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cyrus wrote: »

I remember being very confused when reading the team sheet for the Arsenal game and seeing a midfield of Henderson - Gini - Lallana and trying to work out the different roles etc. Henderson as a holding midfielder was new at the time, with both Gini & Lallana seen more of an attacking midfielder or wingers at the time. But Gini was well able to occupy midfield spaces on his own. Something that I didn't think was possible and never saw him as a traditional midfielder before he signed at all.

It was quite an attacking midfield while also being deceptively compact, and almost the blueprint for what was to come under both Klopp & Pep with their double 8s systems over the years to come.

Konate done by the looks of it.

Good, I was expecting this to get done as soon as CL was secured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement