Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I said it, didn't I say it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

Win 4 games, get 4th. Can’t be that difficult can it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I said it, didn't I say it ,

I'm still stamping down any hope until after tomorrow night! Win that one, and I might start to allow a flicker of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If we somehow skank top 4 this year, I will laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well Ted.

Hopefully we're still in with a chance when Chelsea face Leicester in the league next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well now!

That's interesting...

Top 4 is now pretty much in Liverpool's hands - win all four games, and score a few goals, and they're guaranteed to finish ahead of either Leicester or Chelsea since they play each other.

Easier said than done - but still!

Leicester could still finish ahead of us on goal difference even if they lose to Chelsea.

Side note; hilarious that we've all been sitting by, waiting, refusing to post anything until the final whistle blew.

Leicester could still finish ahead of us on goal difference even if they lose to Chelsea.

hence the 'score a few goals' in my post.

Leicester's GD is currently 21 - that has to go down to a max of 20 if they lose to Chelsea.
    Ours is 18, which has to go up to a min of 22 if we win all 4 games. So Leicester would have to beat Spurs by 2 or more, and we'd have to only score the bare minimum for Leicester to take it in that situation.

Have a look at the table again Pal:)

Edit:

Technically you're right but if we win our games then goal difference should even out but yeah Leicester could out score us in the remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We’re not winning all 4 games. There is nothing in our form to suggest we are capable of four wins in succession.

Don’t do it to yourselves lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I would start Jones tomorrow.

He is the one midfielder who isn’t afraid to take shots from outside the box.

————-Fab————-Thiago————-
    ———————-Jones————————

Mane—————————————Jota

————————Salah———————-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We’re not winning all 4 games. There is nothing in our form to suggest we are capable of four wins in succession.

Win the next one. That’s all we can do.

I don't even recall last time we lost a game in the league, and we only drew against Leeds and Newcastle because of late late late goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saying nothing as knowing Liverpool's season they will get 4th at Chelsea's expense only for Chelsea to win the Champions League

Someone had to say it

Saying nothing as knowing Liverpool's season they will get 4th at Chelsea's expense only for Chelsea to win the Champions League

Someone had to say it

That's totally fine if that happens, both would go into the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

10 pts may be enough depending on other results - a draw tomorrow might not be fatal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Win tomorrow! That's it.

Hopefully the United players all have one eye on the Europa League final and are in protect themselves mode especially after seeing Maguire pick one up that could see him miss out. Make the game as physical as possible and see if they're up for it. Could even put doubts in Ole's head about playing all of his best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We'd get Europa ala Spurs in 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nah Rebel is right it would only have mattered if Arsenal were still in the Europa League but they are out now so it is fine if what i said happens both would still go into the Champions Leauge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No we wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we do manage to steal our way into the top four despite not playing anywhere near the level required to do so for most of the season, I’d love us to seal it with a big, fcuk off stoppage time header from Nat Phillips in front of the Kop against Palace on the last day of the season.

Just to really make it feel like daylight robbery. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

We have a decent chance now but I've zero faith in us doing it. Its the draws against Leeds and fecking Newcastle that done us. Jaysus they were two awful results looking back at it. We have not been good enough and the table nearly always reflects that at the end.

If we sneak in it will be the greatest robbery of all time considering the ****e we have played.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    We have a decent chance now but I've zero faith in us doing it. Its the draws against Leeds and fecking Newcastle that done us. Jaysus they were two awful results looking back at it. We have not been good enough and the table nearly always reflects that at the end.

If we sneak in it will be the greatest robbery of all time considering the ****e we have played.

We're playing people off the park, but not scoring. Should have been 12 -0 up on Leeds and Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We're playing people off the park, but not scoring. Should have been 12 -0 up on Leeds and Newcastle.

But we weren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The players have got to be up for it now. They don't need any more encouragement than the offer of CL football next year. It will be a mark of how much hunger they have for it.

Thu - Man Utd - (A)
    Sun - West Brom - (A)
    Wed - Burnley - (A)
    Sun - Crystal P - (H)

11 days, 4 matches, 6 hours of football, get 12 points and score 7 or 8 goals more than the opposition while they're at it.

Man Utd will be up for it. West Brom, Burnley and Palace have nothing to play for, can't be relegated, can't get to Europe. Maybe play for a bit of glory and look good if they're up for a transfer.

This time there are genuinely no excuses.

Villa away is not a bad fixture for Chelsea to play before a Champions league final.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Villa away is not a bad fixture for Chelsea to play before a Champions league final.

Just saying.

Ollie Watkins and Jack grelish's last chance to show they should be in the England squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ollie Watkins and Jack grelish's last chance to show they should be in the England squad

Potentially Grealish's last game for Villa, which is at Villa Park, with Villa fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

German Cup final tonight at the same time as the Man U game.

I wonder will Konate be announced after both games finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

KevRossi wrote: »
    11 days, 4 matches

We'll need to rotate, it's the done thing now. Play the kids against Utd, presumably they'll do the same and then go for it.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We'll need to rotate, it's the done thing now. Play the kids against Utd, presumably they'll do the same and then go for it.

We've played one match in the past 2.5 weeks. If they can't get 4 matches in a typical rotation over the next week and a half then there's no help for them.

It's not an excuse. Not this time when we know what the target is and how achievable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

robwen wrote: »

They can helicopter them in if needed. There's no time to play the game after this, unless it's on Saturday/Sunday 29th/30th May, the same weekend as the CL final.

If it can't be held then it's a 3-0 to us I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

robwen wrote: »

I can't see that coming to fruition, they'd literally be handing us a walkover and I just can't see united fans wanting that, at least not enough of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'm baffled how so many people get it wrong every year in regards to CL spots.

No matter how many times it's explained people get it wrong and no doubt the question will be asked time and time again while we are still in the hunt.

Liverpool WILL get a spot under these circumstances
    - Finish 4th no matter what (Even if Chelsea finish 5th and won the CL, CL winners get a guaranteed spot no matter where they finish)

Liverpool will NOT get a spot under these circumstances
    - Finish 5th or below, that's it. Simples nothing else to explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm baffled how so many people get it wrong every year in regards to CL spots.

No matter how many times it's explained people get it wrong and no doubt the question will be asked time and time again while we are still in the hunt.

Liverpool WILL get a spot under these circumstances
    - Finish 4th no matter what (Even if Chelsea finish 5th and won the CL, CL winners get a guaranteed spot no matter where they finish)

Liverpool will NOT get a spot under these circumstances
    - Finish 5th or below, that's it. Simples nothing else to explain

People just get confused about the circumstances under which fourth could lose out.

You'd need the (English) CL and EL winners to have not secured a CL spot through the league.

Utd have so, as you say, it's redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Trash accounts on social **** stir a lot and people take the bait.

That's what causes folk to be confused over CL qualification.

Now THAT'S conditioned to failure :pac:

Now THAT'S conditioned to failure :pac:

Even if we pulled off a miracle tonight, I'd still have trouble seeing us win at Burnley (and maybe WBA).

But look, it's keeps the excitement going for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

noodler wrote: »
    People just get confused about the circumstances under which fourth could lose out.

You'd need the (English) CL and EL winners to have not secured a CL spot through the league.

Utd have so, as you say, it's redundant.

Yep. The 2 key rules to remember are:

1. A maximum of 5 from any one league.

2. CL and Europa winners are guaranteed to enter at group stage.

You can work the rest out from there.

Arsenal winning Europa league could have caused problems as they are currently in 8th, hypothetically that's 1 position.

And then let's say Chelsea end up 5th but win champions league, that's 2.

That means there are only 3 more positions available for England so 4th position in league would not qualify for CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

noodler wrote: »
    Even if we pulled off a miracle tonight, I'd still have trouble seeing us win at Burnley (and maybe WBA).

But look, it's keeps the excitement going for now.

how the **** would it be classed as a "miracle" if we won tonight? catch yourself on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Might not be a miracle - but it would be a huge SHOCK if we actually won - we've no form, we are a shell of ourselves, they are flying form, scoring freely and even when we have gone to OT in recent seasons when flying ... we still went away with a few sterile draws.

I think we'll do "OK" tonight, but honestly can't see us win. Not that it'll stop me tuning in and trying to enjoy it ;)

.............. we've no form, we are a shell of ourselves, they are flying form, scoring freely ............

Last 5 PL games we've 11 points, Utd have 10 :)
    Our recent form is signficantly better than the 1.3 ish ppg sh1te the team/squad served up for much of 2021.

how the **** would it be classed as a "miracle" if we won tonight? catch yourself on

We have won twice at OT in 12 years.

Utd are in good form, we are not (amend to say over a run longer than five games wrt to above post).

We are missing our first five choice CBs and club captain.

I'll downgrade it to minor miracle if it will soften your outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't think we need to win our next 4 matches to qualify - just our next one.

Big morale boosting victory away against Man Utd. and suddenly we'd be full of confidence for the remaining 3 fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Didn't even realise Chelsea were playing Arsenal last night. Just seen the result there. Makes their last minute winner at City all the more galling.... if that had been a draw, then we'd finish ahead of them by a point if both teams win all their remaining games.

The one time you'd be looking for both City and Utd to do Liverpool a favour each and they both lose at home. Thanks lads.

I don't think we need to win our next 4 matches to qualify - just our next one.............

If 67 gets us 4th it doesn't matter who we don't beat IMO :)

I've always reckoned 67 would be enough for 4th this year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Leftwaffe wrote: »

Don't get this 'robbery' idea. A lot of people are comparing a would-be 4th place finish this season to last years PL winning run, in terms of performance. Apples and oranges. Instead, we should compare a 4th place finish this season to every other 4th place finisher from previous PL seasons.

If we get 4th place this year then we'd have deserved it, just like how every other slightly above average team that has finished 4th in every previous PL season has deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Augeo wrote: »
    Last 5 PL games we've 11 points, Utd have 10 :)
    Our recent form is signficantly better than the 1.3 ish ppg sh1te the team/squad served up for much of 2021.

I hear ya ... but not really playing well, imo. Even the last win wasn't convincing ...

Advertisement