Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jebidiah wrote: »
    I think the trim material doesn't play nice with camera flashes/bright lights. I actually thought the new kit looked pretty good when on the players on the pitch. The trim was a lot darker than it appeared and was a deeper more reddish colour. That white kit while plain would be quite nice if the trim appears darker in the flesh.

Apparently it's a beige colour and not white. It's meant to be the same colour as the crest on the home jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Apparently it's a beige colour and not white. It's meant to be the same colour as the crest on the home jersey.

I'm actually liking the new jersey after seeing it in the flesh on the TV the other day, still baffled why they have that hue of orange on it but looks better in person I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Augeo wrote: »
    16 years now :eek:
    I know! I was lucky enough to go - I look like a child in the photos and I feel like an old man now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The striped warmup top they wore on Sunday is potentially the ugliest gear I've seen Liverpool ever wear.

Like something my Grandda would have worn, minus the horizontal neon stripe on the arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm actually liking the new jersey after seeing it in the flesh on the TV the other day, still baffled why they have that hue of orange on it but looks better in person I think...

Same. Looked great during the game but horrible in the photos. Made me thing that maybe it's just the player/vapour version that looks less orange versus the stadium/fan version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolves have put a £35m price tag on Neves seems like the perfect price for Liverpool to make a bid.

Wolves have put a £35m price tag on Neves seems like the perfect price for Liverpool to make a bid.

I'd rather spend the £35m on Neves than £40m on Bissouma.

Maybe Wolves would still be interested in Origi? £20-25m + Origi.

I’d take Neves all day long and at that price it would be a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Without trying to sound too xenophobic, I think Bissouma's nationality has to be factored into the potential transfer. With the AFCON on in January, it would be a big risk to be losing all of Bissouma, Keita, Mane, Salah for a month. The midfield options would be light in addition to the forwards. The midfield would then be Thiago, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Ox, Jones. Klopp could be lucky with injuries etc and have them all fit but there is still a risk.

That aside, he would be a very nice addition to the squad for sure, and is very ready to be able to step into Gini's shoes in terms of availability and fitness and work rate. He basically played 90 mins 36 times in the league this season. Incredible availability for a centre midfielder really, especially one with such energy levels. There was a Brighton fan on a podcast recently who thought he was not ready to step up to a top club just yet, but if the Liverpool scouting team think he is, then he must be.

Konate at £32m & Neves at £35m would seem like real Liverpool deals in the right price range.

I'd say they could male most of that money back from sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Konate at £32m & Neves at £35m would seem like real Liverpool deals in the right price range.

I'd say they could male most of that money back from sales.

I do like Neves but he might be a bit too similar to Thiago in style. I think Klopp might want a more athletic type. Gini did a hell of a lot of important donkey work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

My impression of Neves is that he's a bit lacking in athleticism? Haven't watched a huge amount of him, but I wasn't under the impression he'd work great in a hard-working, pressing midfield.

Gini turned down a 3 year deal at Liverpool because he wanted a 4 year deal and now it looks like he will sign a 3 year deal with Barca.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1397138083435450370?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree if we are buying 2 CM but if its just to replace Gini we need someone with more legs than Neves,

Very telling Klopps notes the weekend he first mentioned the teams was built on Gini's legs & lungs,

I'm guessing he will be looking for someone with similar attributes to replace him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

really like Neves but he is not what we need.
    Physically he is slow. We need someone to replace gini, box to box, brilliant at winning and maintaining possession helping the team transition up the field. I cannot see a team with Neves and Thiago

Alison will likely get it, Mane I'd say not tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gini turned down a 3 year deal at Liverpool because he wanted a 4 year deal and now it looks like he will sign a 3 year deal with Barca.

Master negotiator right there.

Contracts are usually about total value, not duration. He'll get a bumper signing-on fee with a new club and Barca's ridiculous wage structure is likely a factor. He could be getting double/triple at Barca over 3 years of what he'd get over 3 or even 4 years staying at Liverpool. Anyone would do the same in his shoes.

He always wanted to sign for Barca, no doubt €€€€€€€€€€€€€s.
    After winning a CL and PL with Liverpool I can see how Barca would appeal to a chap of his age as well. If he wins nothing there he won't be overly heartbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

In my opinion this is what should happen over the summer regarding the squad even though I doubt we will make too many signings.

Buy: Young CB (likely to be Konate), Backup RB, CM (Young, athletic, replace Gini), Central Attacking player (Someone who predominately plays in the middle), Backup GK

Sell: Karius, Adrian (is he out of contract??), Davies, Keita, Grujic, Wilson, Woodburn, Ojo, Shaqiri, Origi

Loan Out:
    Elliott (To PL Club), Rhys Williams, Neco Williams & Kelleher (To Championship)

Gini has left and I wouldnt sign Kabak permanently

It was a toss up between selling Keita and Ox for me but Ox probably adds more goals. By selling those 10 plays you might bring in around £75m. That would go towards 5 new signings; 3 big ones (CB, CM, FW) and 2 modest ones (GK & RB). I cant really see them going for the RB as Gomez and Milner can cover and they may be content to hold onto Neco and Adrian. I think they will probably stick with their forward options too but a new striker might shake things up a bit but not too easy to find someone who can play Bobby's role

Based on the above the squad would be:

GK: Alisson, New Backup, Grabara

RB: Trent, New Backup

LB: Robbo, Tsimikas

CB: VVD, Gomez, Matip, New Signing, Phillips

CM: Fab, Hendo, Milner, Thiago, Jones, Ox, New Signing

FW: Bobby, Salah, Mane, Jota, Taki, New Central Signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Very interested to see what the club do with Elliot. Certainly has a chance at making the squad and being the player brought on to rest Mane or Salah, or play the Shaqiri role.

Not positive the club will loan him out again, although if they can afford to loan him to another PL team and bring in alternative backup, that's possibly ideal.

I'd say the player himself is desperate to stay and fight it out for some minutes and break into the team, though. They might have a job to even convince him to go on loan again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Likely not far off twice the money on offer though.
    (It seems totally irrelevant that they obviously can’t afford that, since they gave Pjanic a 300k a week contract last summer)

............ By selling those 10 plays you might bring in around £75m. That would go towards 5 new signings; 3 big ones (CB, CM, FW) and 2 modest ones (GK & RB)................

Based on the above the squad would be:

It looks like the new CB might be £34m (release clause).......... that leaves £41m, hopefully there might be some TV or CL money thrown into the pot because £41m won't go far getting a CM and a FW

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Likely not far off twice the money on offer though.
    (It seems totally irrelevant that they obviously can’t afford that, since they gave Pjanic a 300k a week contract last summer)

If he and his agent cant get near 250/300k a week off a near bankrupt Barca fair play to them.

No one would begrudge Gini whatever move he gets and top wages he can get and I hope he is getting that kind of money off Barca.

Gini goes down a League winning European Club Club legend and I don't say this lightly but his two goals against Barca might just be the two most important goals scored in the last 30 years at the club they set up the never say die attitude of this team that led to Number 6 but more importantly lead to number 19 the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lower than what though? They reference Aguero too, which would appear to mean lower than they had been on - which can't be true in Gini's case. He was on 90k with Liverpool, and wanted to move up to 190k for 4 years. I really doubt he's gonna go down below 90k for 3 years now, and if he does, I also doubt Liverpool wouldn't have matched that happily.

Things not quite adding up on this one... guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Lower than what though? They reference Aguero too, which would appear to mean lower than they had been on - which can't be true in Gini's case. He was on 90k with Liverpool, and wanted to move up to 190k for 4 years. I really doubt he's gonna go down below 90k for 3 years now, and if he does, I also doubt Liverpool wouldn't have matched that happily.

Things not quite adding up on this one... guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I doubt he is getting near the 200k wages maybe closer to 120k.

Well we will find out in a year or so when Barca release there books or Messi's new wages are leaked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can only assume it's less than Liverpool offered which would be mad if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

I assume whatever’s being reported doesn’t include what’s likely to be a significant signing bonus as they don’t have to pay another club.

Barca don't have money that why they are signing free agents.

I would imagine it's lower base wages for these players with bigger bonuses to make up the lesser wage if they win trophies taking a leaf out of Liverpool's book.

I'm guessing he gets a big singing on fee & a years longer contract,
    Lets not forget he is Dutch & they have along history with Barcelona so could be his dream move,
    There is also the chance to play with Messi & live in the sun

Also could be Barcelona spin , there broke and saying players are willing to sign for them on lower wages makes them sound like there still a very attractive club instead of one on the down turn ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

willabur wrote: »
    really like Neves but he is not what we need.
    Physically he is slow. We need someone to replace gini, box to box, brilliant at winning and maintaining possession helping the team transition up the field. I cannot see a team with Neves and Thiago

Veratti at PSG would be superb. What's his contract situation? Seems to be there a long time.

Not signing Kabak for €18m looks like they might be trying to get the price down.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1397176624513261568?s=20

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Veratti at PSG would be superb. What's his contract situation? Seems to be there a long time.

Good player. Fairly horrific injury record. He's even managed to catch Covid twice.

image.png

Comment, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

fyfe79 wrote: »

I would’ve thought he was a very similar type of player to Thiago? Plus he has an awful injury record. If we get in a midfielder we need someone with a huge engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Just checked, Veratti's contract was up this season but has signed an extension till 2024. He arrived there in 2012 - that's some spell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I thought Kabak would be a no brainer for the price but Philips has been so good, its wasted on areas we need to spend it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

dmigsy wrote: »
    Good player. Fairly horrific injury record. He's even managed to catch Covid twice.

image.png

Comment, indeed.

Class player, suspect temperament. I could see him getting a few red cards in the prem.

• Advertisement

I would expect them to go for someone young like Camavinga or Gravenberch of Ajax. I think they are both maybe a bit more defensive than Gini though.

TAA is in the England squad.

Hendo as well.

And Coady.

I would’ve thought he was a very similar type of player to Thiago? Plus he has an awful injury record. If we get in a midfielder we need someone with a huge engine.

100% agree we need legs in midfield,

Fab & Thaigo are top class but not the most mobile, Hendo also isn't getting younger but probably has a good 2 years before he slows down , We need more legs in there ,

Hendo as well.

And Coady.

At the moment its just a provisional 33 man squad,

Hendo as well.

And Coady.

Thats a provisional squad 33 man squad, 7 still to be cut

I posted this in the Euro thread but thought you lads might want to see it ,

All the talk of Trent not making the final England squad because can't defend I seen the below ,

I know it doesn't tell the full story but his number defensively are as good as the rest,
    A little unfair on tripper as he plays in a different league ,

Tackle Success:

Trent 57.9%
    Walker 54.3
    Tripper 43.9
    James 38.8

Dibbled past per 90:

Trent 0.71
    Walker 0.74
    James 1.14
    Tripper 1.16

Ball recoveries per 90:

Trent 9.97
    Tripper 8.87
    Walker 8.66
    James 8.81

Thats a provisional squad 33 man squad, 7 still to be cut

I seen someone was saying that although DCL scored 16 Prem goals, he scored 11 in his first 11 games
    So only 5 in the last 27 league games I thought he was much better than that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

James Pearce is reporting now that Liverpool closing in on Konate, with the permanent transfer of Kabak not going to happen.

What could have been Alex Teixeira is a free agent Mane was signed instead after Shakhtar doubled his price at the last minute and he ended up in China.

Gini was a second choice signing.

Salah was a second choice signing.

Can't wait to read posts form the poster calling Konate a waste of money and he needs to be sold when doesn't get regular game time in the first few months of next season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement