Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Kinda nuts we play a friendly the day after the Community Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My pal says likewise...

Maybe I'll give it another chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you like sci-fi parodies and alternative reality and meaning-of-life comedy, then you should. Takes five or six episodes to get goign though.

Could even start at episode 4 or 5 of season 1 and not muss much.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We've played two friendlies back to back before so it's nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

My favourite friendlies were the 2 * 30 mins friendlies against different teams on the same day, and then 2 * 60 mins against the same team on the same day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

While it's the Community Shield I wouldn't count it as a friendly against City.

Does it go straight to penalties if a draw or is there extra time?

If Klopp was to win it he'd really have everything then!

It's a glorified friendly tbf.

Not bothered if we lose it 10-0 once nobody is injured, and we then beat Fulham the following week.

Liverpool currently at a net spend of €5m for the summer. And even with the addition of Nunez, I would guess the wage bill has reduced a small bit too with Mane, Taki, Origi & Karius all off the books now. Possibly this difference has been absorbed by the increase in wages for Salah.

If Ox was to be sold, it would bring the club into profit for the summer. Maybe the club move to bring in another midfielder but I don't think they will. I think they will wait until next summer and wait for the man they really want, rather than spending 30m on a stopgap now and being priced out of a move next summer then. There would be 8 midfielders at the club if Ox leaves so it's not exactly a massive need to replace him. But the numbers in terms of winger options would be reduced. I think it's down to whether he wants to go or not. I'm sure Klopp will be happy to keep him but once a player says he wants to move, he lets them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought Jose Mourinho was the only person in the world that considered the Community Shield anything other that a friendly.

• Advertisement

That's right. He was including that as part of his treble. I miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The final piece of the master plan. Klopp is inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ox is injured again so it would be a huge gamble for any team to buy him for what Liverpool likely want. I guess there is money there to spend if something did come up, a target all of a sudden becomes available for a little cheaper than previously thought or another club moves on one like Diaz in January.

Alisson - Kelleher - Adrian

TAA - Ramsey - VVD - Konate - Matip - Gomez - Robertson - Tsimikas

Fab - Henderson - Thiago - Keita - Jones - Elliott - Milner - Ox

Salah - Jota - Nunez - Diaz - Firmino - Carvalho - Gordon

That's 23 outfield players, I'd call it more 21 as I don't see Ramsey or Gordon having much of an impact but Carvalho looks like he could be ready to play a part. Of players that contributed last year we've lost, Mane, Taki, Origi and Neco (early in the LC) and replaced them with Ramsey, Nunez and Carvalho.

We then have a huge group not going to the WC in Kelleher, Adrian, Ramsey, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Elliott, Milner, Ox, Salah, Diaz, Carvalho, Gordon.

And of the ones likely going most are not guaranteed starters in Alisson, TAA, Konate, Fab, Henderson, Thiago and Firmino. Madness that it's true but it helps us.

I'm getting confident again and think that this season is falling very nicely for us with the WC and who is missing out versus City's who look to have nearly all of their players going to the WC and playing for teams expecting to go deep. Post WC we could line up with an 11 made up mostly of players who have just had a month off. You could argue that they may be out of form but most big teams won't have the luxury of more than dozen first teamers getting a rest.

Yeah I'm not massively desperate for another signing at all. But I do think that there is capability to do so in certain scenarios, like the Diaz one you mentioned. Once you accept how the club is run and how everything is thought through very specifically with a long term approach at the forefront, it becomes clearer. This isn't FIFA and we don't have state funding.

I think Ox is in a bit of limbo. He'll probably be used if he stays, but he can play more if he leaves. Klopp is happy to use him if he stays, and if Ox wants to leave, he will let him leave. The club probably won't extend his contract but won't sell him unless a suitable offer is made for him first.

Sure, a shiny new midfielder would be nice but the club, and Klopp, must think that what we have is sufficient to navigate the 2 half seasons.

As you mentioned, the lack of players going deep into the WC may just be a deciding factor. Now, on the other hand, it might kill all momentum altogether. The AFCON ruined Salah's momentum last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Definitely do. It is excellent. While we are off topic talking about shows has anyone seen Ted Lasso? It is quirky, cheesy, silly, hilarious and tugs on your heart strings. I think it is great and its technically about football so....oh and apparently it broke all the records for number of Emmy nominations for its debut season.

Ted Lasso is like pure digital dopamine. Amazing show and it’s quite literally impossible not to be happier after watching an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ted Lasso is very very good in fairness on a number of levels....was sceptical myself tbh before watching it.

And fwiw I think Coach Beard would be a good man to have around Anfield.

That's an excellent way of describing it actually! I couldnt wait to get my fix each week and was delighted to see there were more episodes in season 2 than 1. Once you accept the overwhelming optimism it's such a fantastic show. So many fantastic quotes.

Reporter : Ted, do you believe in ghosts?

Ted: Why sure I do but I think it's far more important that they believe in themselves!

I love that line! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Season 2 didn't have the same impact as Season 1. Stopped watching half way.

Also, I find it annoying that City are the top dogs there too and LFC didn't seem to feature?

Ooooh I feel the opposite. I feel like season 2 it reaches new heights. It is much darker than season 1 whilst still being delightfully Ted Lasso.

The manager of the LFC women’s team is Matt Beard actually. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

City are in it cos they probably have a fake sponsorship deal with batnr just like AFC Richmond.

Season 1 was good, season 2 was fairly poor with the odd chuckle here and there.

I was lucky enough to not catch any of it until the first two seasons had already aired, got a free trial of Apple TV a few months ago and binged it in a week or two. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it would have been waiting for a new episode each week and being actually excited for it. Definitely will be watching season 3 as it airs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

After the first episode I thought Ted was too annoyingly nice but he quickly grew on me and I absolutely love the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Same - got the free Apple trial and binged it all relatively quickly.

Would highly recommend Severance to anyone with a subscription.

Actually just watched a movie called Palmer on Apple TV with Justin Timberlake and (drum roll)...the actress who plays Keeley in Ted Lasso. She was playing a drug addled trailer thrash type and despite her excellent performance I kept waiting for Roy Kent to randomly appear in a scene.

Anyway back on topic....let's hope Nunez can bang in a few goals in preseason to take the pressure off himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As another reason to love it, Ted Lasso was also primarily directed by an Irishman, Declan Lowney. He's one of the greats of Irish film talent, also directed loads of Father Ted, Moone Boy, Little Britain, and Alan Partridge (including the brilliant movie). Some record for a guy whose name is largely unknown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wasn't the character Ted Lasso supposed to be loosely based off Klopp?

I think this will be the team to start the season.

Ali will return of course if fit.

Mo looking outrageously sharp this preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

He really does! Seems very up for it, i cant remember him in other preseasons? Was he similar?

I can’t really remember his preseason last year, certainly started the league on fire though!

Liking Naby’s new streamlined look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

What's the story with kelleher

Did he not pick up an injury in the last Irish camp?

I've no idea,had noticed him AWOL v MU,CP, thought it funny,obs an injury at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Commentary said he picked up a knock and is working at the training centre

Nice use of experience by the boys to allow Nunez a chance to get off the mark

Nice of Mo to let Darwin take the pen.

Bang, no charity on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

First goal from open play for Nunez now, not bad and well taken as well. He looked relieved after the penalty so hopefully this will put him at ease.

Lovely couple of touches to set himself up and bang

• Advertisement

That Nunez lad with 2 goals looks alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A bargain

Looks to have the midas touch in front of goal

Salah won't be letting him take penalties, competition for golden Boot.

Elliott running the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Milner attitude is exemplary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Just the 4 for Nunez. Quality.

Decent run out. Carvalho looks great and should get game time. Elliott too.

Safe to say he's going to win the golden boot and Balon Dor this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looks likewe have ourselves a striker

He'll never make,with a fcuking man bun, straight to a barber with you

• Advertisement
Advertisement