Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It just means we will have one less player in the squad, not that we will lose one. If we have 17 overseas players we can have 8 homegrown players to fill the squad. We can decide to have none, but it means we have a smaller squad. I believe we have 15 players not classed as homegrown at the moment so we can add 2 more players from overseas without needing to get rid of current players.

Alisson, Adrian, VVD, Konate, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fab, Keita, Thiago, Diaz, Jota, Salah, Nunez and Firminho. We have 7 homegrown players I think, Kelleher, TAA, Gomez, Phillips, AOC, Milner, Henderson. I think the other players would fall as under 21's so would not be counted. So we have 3 more spots that can be filled and 2 of those can be overseas players.

From the below link we have this,

"What are the Premier League rules?

For starters, clubs are allowed a maximum number of 25 players in their Premier League squad.

This can be supplemented by an unlimited number of under-21s — it does not matter if they are a regular part of the club’s senior squad, or what their nationality is.

For example, Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli still counts as an Under-21 player in 2022-23 — and will not count against Arsenal’s homegrown player quota.

That is despite him making 57 Premier League appearances for the club, scoring 11 goals. 

Next season, players must be born after January 1 2001 to qualify as an Under-21.

Under current rules, no more than 17 players in a Premier League squad can be non-homegrown. Those players can be of any nationality or age.

The remaining members of the first-team squad must be homegrown."

https://theathletic.com/3370929/2022/06/21/premier-league-transfers-homegrown/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Would Carvalho count as homegrown?

He has been playing football in England since he is 11...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He will count as homegrown down the line when he's officially a senior player, but for now he falls into the kid category with the likes of Elliott etc.

Calvin Ramsey will be an interesting one - to be homegrown you need 3 seasons before you're 21. I wonder what the specific cut off date is for when your age is counted? Is it when the transfer window opens, or when you're registered, or when the first league game happens, or something else? He was 18 when he joined and registered, but just turned 19 2 weeks ago. If he's counted as '18' for this season based on when he joined and registered, then he might squeeze 3 seasons in before he's designated a senior player - in which case he'll be both homegrown and club grown. But if he falls outside that then he'll forever be a foreigner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think VVD maybe got a joint touch with his left foot, which would make it all good, except Fulham player got in an extra touch afterwards which VVD again tried to poke away, but this time missed, all genuine attempts for the ball, but if you miss you miss, no intent from VVD, it's just the rules, regardless of fact it's 100% the player momentum taking him over VVD leg, which he makes the most of, as you'd want from a player. Wish we'd take such gifts, too often they are offered, and we are too honest to accept

At least Keita is back in full training, and ready for Crystal Palace, it's like a new signing😅

He was huge for us last season, getting in 40 games, he made the quad a possible dream.

• Advertisement

Would not be a shock for Elliott to move on next summer, big new deals are the kiss of death for those coming through, he'll most likely help pay a for huge part of Jude's fee.

Yeah, his fitness seems to have really come on a lot after whatever that revised training/recovery program they put him on a year or so ago. Can see in the team selections how careful they are with him too, he just won't ever be asked to start twice in a week it seems. But as long as he and Elliott can swap out for each other, that spot should be ok until Thiago is back, and then Hendo and Fab can be added into the rotationy mix with the others. Thankfully for the next month its mostly one game a week, until the CL starts.

I'd say there's next to no chance of that. Jones, maybe, but Elliott is too established as a real first teamer, and too good, to really be looked at moving on I think.

Elliott getting a new deal feels more like Fabinho or someone getting a new deal, rather than some academy lad like Bajcetic getting one.

Hopefully, I like Elliott, but as long as everyone is fit he won't start ahead of others, but he will get huge minutes across all the competitions, age is on his side.

What? Elliot has huge potential and could well be part of our first team for the next decade if he continues to develop. No chance he leaves anytime soon unless the player himself pushes for it.

Personally I think Ox, Thiago, Jones, Keita would be more likely to leave before Elliot, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Thiago went back to Barca next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Great news about Harvey Elliott. He looks to me to be an elite player in the making.

Id rank him currently as the third best teenager at the club this century after Sterling and Trent. Anyone I’m missing in that ranking?

The 90s kids were a class apart with Fowler, Owen, Carragher and Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I've read this a few times now about Trent getting minutes before the game against Utd. It's funny how the memory works but I have absolutely no memory of Trent playing at all for the first team before his full debut against Utd, which was at RB and the rest is history...Did Trent really get minutes before his full debut against Utd? I'd have sworn Trent made his debut for us against Utd 5 or 6 years ago or whenever it was but I specifically remember his debut being against Utd.

Now I'm thinking I must have it wrong. Any chance anyone would have, or be able to find, some highlights of a game or two where Trent featured before that Utd game? I'd genuinely love to see them if for no other reason than to just marvel at how our perception and memory of something alters over time and becomes distorted whilst also being confident our distorted version of events was exactly how it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

More like Salah has been on the receiving end of much worse tackles than that one in the box since he came to Liverpool and gotten nothing. Salah gained a reputation as a diver in the PL somehow, every tool in the box and in the media parrots the trope that Salah is a diver and yet one of my personal biggest gripes with Salah is that he tries to stay on his feet way too often when fouled either inside the box or otherwise so go figure that the rest of the world thinks he is a diver.

Morale of the story is we have had much worse fouls than that one against our players in the box in recent seasons and gotten nothing so we have a right to feel agrieved imo cos consistancy is all I'm asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Doesn't sound like he will sign anyone for the sake of it at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think pretty much all fans knew that was going to be Klopp's stance he will always wait for the right player that will fit into the squad.

He and club don't want to bring in the worng type of player that will effect the bond built in the squad.

I do think they will sign a player this season however that won;t happen till the winter window after the world cup is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Matip injured

That means the obligatory goal against because Gomez gets the high line messed up on Monday night ,

Joe always struggles for a game or two when he is inserted back in,

Huge chance to win his place back and show why he deserved his new deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ah balls 2 big CBs out now.

I have faith in Gomez longer term, but he takes a game or two to get up to speed usually. Ah he should be fine for Monday and the week after too to be fair.

A big chance for him to gain a long term starting spot like he did in 18/19. He was excellent then, after coming into the team when Matip got injured and only lost his place when he got injured himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Hopefully it's not too long out for Matip, we could deffo do without him and Konate on the extended injury list so early in the season.

• Advertisement

Fan selected PL all time XI

Actually particularly well balanced one too, that would be a great team in action (obviously with Mo and Henry playing on the opposite sides).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Said it before, I’ll say it again; Gomez is the second best centre back at the club and he still is, but a number of unfortunate factors have kept him out of the team.

He does take a while to get up to speed though, like ye’ve said. But when he was at peak fitness and match sharpness, we never looked better defensively IMO, and yes I’m well aware of how good Matip has been.

Last time we played him center with VVD we conceded 7 at Villa.

VVD didn’t exactly cover himself in glory that night either to be fair. At one point in the title winning season, they went about 14 games together conceding something like one goal. I’d definitely be more inclined to look at a larger sample size like that over one isolated disaster of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We're top of the injury table anyway, hopefully that doesn't last for long. Very early in the season for so many injuries, at least Palace also have a few out.

At one time he looked invincible, his injury allowed others to leap frog him, now it's impossible to see how he gets in the team, but again he's young, time is on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ah Adrian threw one in the net straight away that evening and Villa scored about 4 goals with big deflections. I wouldn't use that game to base a point on.

The ballboy goalscoring machine signs a new contract extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gomez has never looked anywhere near as good as peak Matip imo.

And that's not saying he looked bad.

Its easy to forget how good Gomez was the year we won the league when he played 28 times. Were it not for injury he would still be first choice partner for VVD and Matip probably would not be at the club as he wouldn’t be satisfied with being a bit part player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I like Gomez - He's very talented. But he ain't a patch on Matip yet, and Konate is looking better and better every time i see him. Joe is firmly 4th choice.

Matip rarely gets the respect and attention he deserves. Arguably on par with VVD, and one of the world's few elite defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I rate Gomez but he is quite clearly fourth best. There's no point judging him based on form from three or four seasons ago. If that was the case Ox would be in the team.

Not having to play in this heat is a blessing, it must be 50c plus in direct sunlight, which is what City are playing in right now. Subconsciously their play is getting affected, in that to me a lot of their play is in the shaded part of pitch 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

It doesn't seem to be slowing city down they could be 5 up and it's only half time ha

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Utd having a shocker against Brentford.

Hope they don't completely embarrass them and it rallys some response in them against us!

Too late perhaps, another goal as I type. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is there anything good on the box?

If those chancers get the game postponed on Monday week, the team should be docked points. It’s going to be the easiest three points of the season if it goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you can see why Eriksen was in such turmoil about moving but at the end of the day he has to think of his family and just couldn't ignore all that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Oh right. So THIS is what it was like to be a United fan watching Liverpool in the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we were never this bad, even with Mike Marsh calling the shots from centre midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I don't think they have the pride to give a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The players are a disgrace. The blame will fall on the owners, because they take money out of the club, but you cannot tell me the £20m they take a year will solve their problems on the pitch. These players got rid of Mourinho by downing tools and once they did that it was inevitable that it would happen again. They were poor for Solskjaer and didn't even try for most of the time Ragnick was at the club. Now it seem like the players are once again not trying for the new manager.

Their other problem is they are stuck in the past. They have Ferguson back along with Gill and Robson as consultants. They need money to fix their stadium and money to fix the squad. Add in the value the club has as a revenue generating machine, you would need £5b-£6b to start. Who is going to put up that money? So maybe they would put more debt on the club, but that is just the Glazers by another name.

Good times 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Yes, we were, under Hodgson we were desperate, had he remained in charge there was a real possibility we would have got relegated. Also at times under Souness we were really poor, had some really bad results and performances under him.

We were never, at any point, this bad under Roy Hodgson. Our squad wasn’t a quarter as good as United’s currently is and that Liverpool team would still beat this United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sad to see how his career has crashed since he was ill that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Good on Brentford, the polar opposite of united.

Liverpool were never this bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement