Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ox, Thiago and Jota all signed within the last 48 hours of their respective windows. With Thiago, it was in the pipeline for a while but the other two were genuinely late purchases. Along with Diaz this year of course.

So we’re no strangers to signing world class players late in the day. Will it happen this time around? I personally don’t think so, which is a pity.

EDIT: Scratch that, I had it in my head that the deadline in 2020 was mid-September, it was a couple of weeks later. So Thiago and Jota don’t count after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Unless they find a midfielder already on their list and within their price range, the club won’t buy a player.

I know people get frustrated but part of being a well run club means we just have to make do sometimes. It’s crap because when we have a long injury list the natural reaction is just to get somebody in, but doing that will leave us with bloat we might struggle to move on.

I think we probably would have been better off looking to bolster this summer, but they spent a load on Nunez, and probably need to move on Ox/Milner/Jones before bringing someone in, and there might not have been a decent market for any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nunes off to Wolves,so that is another midfielder not coming to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

When you get properly nutted - whether it be outside a pub or on a football field - you tend not to stand up in a hurry - if you're still conscious, that is. This was just a little flick. The fellah didn't even get a bloody nose. Klopp will read the riot act. Nunez will be grand. See if you can find any old clips online of Billy Gilbert absolutely sticking one on Mick Tait. Now there was a footballer who could headbutt for England. G'night.

This is where some posters get tetchy, is a well run club one that identifies a weakness and shores it up, or one that closes the wallet and carries on knowing the weakness exists, and will probably result in points dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m not entirely sold on his attitude, but Tielemans is still available. I literally can’t think of anyone else that would actually improve the squad, and is actually obtainable at this stage in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It highlights how severely off the boil we are that we taking consolation on platforms to build from games against Fulham and Palace at home . I know what you mean about creating chances but Nunez timing couldn't have been worse and he puts enormous under pressure on himself now when he returns and doesn't score or struggles . His touch was so poor tonight it's hard to know if he would have scored at all.

When the high intensity press is gone (bar Diaz), our highline or Trent are giving out goals weekly and the midfield being a shambles it's alot concerns so early on. If there was time for United to play Liverpool it's probably now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would say well run means getting a player that they actually want for an agreeable price.

I would say if that player existed, we would have gone in for them already. The club don’t want to overpay or get someone they’re not sure of because of a current lengthy injury list.

I personally think, because of the age of Henderson and Milner, it would have been nice to get a new CM in too to start bedding them in. But the club think they can compete with the current lineup, and to be fair they did last season with much the same, so who am I to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mane was class for six years.

Let's ease up on focusing on a few months of mediocrity to try and justify Nunez

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Last season is over and this season is we are off to a terrible start with the midfield a major factor. The are literally countless midfielders better and more dependable than Ox, Jones ,Keita and the aging Milner and Hendo. It's doesn't have to the perfect 100m player but at least just start addressing the problem

• Advertisement

I agree they should only sign a player that has been researched, and they really want. But if it makes a difference in league position or CL, then paying extra may be worth it/it would cost the club not to. It is widely reported that they wanted to wait until the summer to sign Diaz, but signing him early made a huge difference last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Marcos Antonio from Shaktar would have been a nice addition, if Lazio didn't buy him first for €8m.

Mohammed Camara also. These are cheap midfielders who can do a job. It's all we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

When's jota back could really do with him in the middle? Henderson looked shot tonight only got on for what a half hour but he's slowed something fierce it's a shame to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Really?

I thought he changed the game when he came on. Completely different dynamic through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm not trying to justify anything. Nunez has played about 100 minutes of football for us so how can anyone make a judgment worth justifying...Mane was class but you're been blinkered if you don't think he was extremely average for entire large speels for the 2020/21 season and up until Xmas last year. This forum was full of people suggesting he was done, lost his touch and needed to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you're starting 63 year old Milner in the 8 position against an excellent counter attacking team, you're in trouble.

Miraculous we got out of that performance with a point.

We desperately need players back.

He's more than good enough. He's everything in him to be a monster.

He does need to release the ball quickly more often to keep with the rhythm we try to create. He's a bit heroball at times. Which is great when he pulls out a workdie, but that is not going to happen the vast majority of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Didn’t read back on the comments since before the game but am I the only one who thought the red was harsh? I didn’t see a shove of the head and thought it was just a bit of chest pumping with yer man making a meal of it…! Still shouldn’t have given the ref a decision to make but I’ve seen a lot worse go unpunished…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

He didn't play badly when he came on but he ran by me twice trying to get back and he was really struggling, he was trying to reorganize the defense cause he was just wasn't making it to players a couple of yards away, he's either carrying a bad knock or his legs just aren't motoring for him, this was only about 10 minutes after he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Must have been the beer goggles so…. Yet to see a reply other then when it happened! I’ll have a look at SSN this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's very frustrating,

We aren't that far away from having a really magnificent squad 1 midfielder 1 forward wouldn't really do the trick for this year

It look like another yes under Klopp & there's not many left where we will just fall short,

Its a shame Ox got. Injured as ill be impossible to move him on now

Any word on Jota & Konate injuries are they nearly back or is it the usual wall of silence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Konate is a long ways away it seems. Jota is end of August seemingly.

After the Utd match is when players seem to be filtering back in

We need Jota back. Pronto.

People pining for Mane ... if we literally just had Jota as an option, a lot of problems wouldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For those that are saying Diaz needs to improve his output he's gotten 5 goals and 3 assists in 15 league games. That's not bad for someone coming into a new team in a new league.

On top of that I can remember at least five more excellent chances he's created where other players really should have scored but fluffed their lines when it was easier to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Darwin has played 2.5 games. Let's justify him after 6 years.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look back on the first six months Suarez was at pool, 13 appearances, 4 goals. He scored 11 in 31 in his first full season, hardly impressive. But we all know what happened when he got acclimatised to the PL and used to the goading, dragging, kicking etc that goes on.

Even if the club go get 2 players now its to late, them 4 points are lost & if they bring in players they wouldn't play for 2 weeks or so ,

Crazy to think if we lose at Old Trafford United will be ahead of us and there supposed to be the shambles not us ,

Darwin look so nervous playing for us, Everything is getting done at 100 miles per hour & he can't seem to stay calm ,,

He's getting into great position & rushing off shots and slicing them or getting bad connections , He is a too eager & needs time to relax & play his natural game,

In general we are a very patient team , we keep plugging away doing the right thing & eventually ware tams down & it pays off ,I think Darwin was panicking that we where losing & just let it all boil over ,

He is very raw but i think we are yet to see anywhere near his best,

Bit shite he has a 3 match ban now to redeem himself, but Klopp said he's going to be put through his paces off pitch so hopefully we'll kick on afterwards

Darwin first game back is Everton away ,Can Klopp play him in that environment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Absolutely. Everton fans and players will be too occupied with themselves. If they concentrate on trying to wind up Nunez, then Diaz and/or Salah will take advantage. Michael Keane et all can't do a few things at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It could be the perfect environment to bring him back, its all that limited Frank will be able to focus his team on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

More like a few months of just being good and very good, rather than being poor.

Mane got a hard time here a lot of the time, but nonetheless he's gone now so we move on.

Yera Mina is wind up merchant and get under the skin of some of the most relaxed players,

I don't see Klopp starting him that's for sure ,

Fairly sure Mina is out injured for a couple months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not trying to excuse Darwin behavior last night but this stuff happens every week in the PL and he is going to have to get used to defenders winding him up like this...

• Advertisement

Darwin was played, plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can have him sub for Everton game and back starting that mid week Champions League game that is after it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Andersen does nothing wrong, totally normal centre half play. Nunez was an idiot, there is no excuse.

His chance at the end of the first half where he hit the post was so panicked, he's just trying too hard. Same with all the flicks etc.

He has a bit of time now to sort himself out.

Ya Darwin got played. He got wound up and reacted. He'll have to get used to it, a good welcome to the league anyways.

It's not new either, even after a couple years in the PL, Mane was still a bit of a hothead. He nearly got sent off against Spurs in his 2nd game for us with a couple of rash tackles and reacting. He still did it last season!

Darwin needs to learn how to channel this and use it to his advantage. Let defenders concentrate on trying to wind him up while he is running away from them and into space.

To be honest Darwin seemed to get more wound up about his awful effort when Salah out him in where he completely fluffed it with his left foot & ran after the ref for about 2 minutes looking for a peno for hand ball ,

He never clamed down form that, I honestly think he looks he is feeling the pressure of the transfer & expectations, Didn't he already react & post something on social media about the stick he was getting for a preseason game , He is for sure felling pressure

If he scored the chance at the end of the first half it would have settled him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Next time a PL defender pushes Darwin in the back he should drop to the ground. It’ll pi*s the defender off. When it happens again, hit the ground. The ref will take action eventually. It seems silly that you can provoke people and be at zero risk of punishment. It’s like contact in the box, if a player doesn’t go down then nothing happens.

On another point, Firmino’s body must have broken down totally. He just keeps picking up these injuries. And it’s not the minutes he playing that’s doing it to him, from 2015 - 2020 he played nearly every game going and rarely got injured.

Thiago is sensational when fit but he hurts himself so easily out of the blue. Milner shouldn’t be starting in our midfield in a league game and Hendo seems off it. If something were to happen to Fabinho then I dread to think where we’d be.

Carvalho looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Football is so confused, on Sunday it was a man's game and full throttle and the way it is supposed to be. A day later you have Andersen being rough when the referee isn't looking but when he wants to win a foul or with the squaring up he goes down like he was shot. So weird but that is what football is at the moment.

Not too happy with our results, but considering we had only 1 on of first choice midfielders starting and we are having a injury crises this early it is not something that should be unexpected. I may not like it but it doesn't mean it is not expected to draw when you have 3 defenders not fit and 3 midfielders out or not fit and one on the bench. Add in injuries to the forward line, we are having a mini crises here with injuries.

Crystal Palace is not a bad team. They took 4 points off City last season and you suspect they will cause most teams problems this year. 4 Points behind after 2 games is not great, but that is where we are. Some were complaining about the time between matches but this may work in our favour. Let's hope we get some luck on getting players back for Monday night, then we go again.

City started the 2020-21 season with a win, draw and a 2-5 loss and still went on to win the title. We are not out but the pressure is on for the next match.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Provoke people and be at zero risk of punishment.. Come on! That sort of thing happens in every game of football, at every level. It's what defenders do. Basically in the video above Andersen gets touch tight. He doesn't do anything crazy. Darwin firstly tried to leave some on him in a tackle because he wasn't happy about it and then had a little butt before going back to finish the job. Darwin will have experienced that defending throughout his career already and hasn't reacted like that. As many posters suggested it was due to frustration at missed chances and maybe feeling the pressure a little.

His passing is ridiculous at times. Creating so many chances now, and not just from the right wing on his right foot either.

The team seems to know when to allow him inside. There was a 10 min spell last night after the red card where Elliott played RWB and just let Trent into the middle and played just behind Diaz & Salah.

I wonder will his assists dip because he doesn't have Mane this season, he tended to be more in the box finishing as Diaz style is different,

Hopefully Nunez can get his fair share of goals from Trent ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement