Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I am not so sure about Henderson fulfilling that role anymore. He definitely isn't as mobile or energetic as he used to be, to be expected as he moves through his 30's. The reason I believe that is I have noticed a pattern in our defending which I started noticing last season. Whenever the opposition attacked down our right, in that space behind Trent, it was the rcb, either Matip or Konate that covered it, not Henderson. Fab then seemed to be instructed to take up the rcb position. It was best illustrated in the Champions League final where it was Konate who rushed out to defend Vinicius, not Trent or Henderson. It doesn't happen as much down our left where Robertson is generally deeper and makes more effort to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Spot on our midfield has not protected us wel, lenough when we turn over the ball,

Again watch where Eze plays the ball from deep in his own half and there no midfielder near him, it's far to open and it's far to easy,

Philips makes the childish mistake of stepping up, criminal whe, Eza is under no pressure making the pass you have to drop off

On Henderson I'm not sure if he can't or if he's not being asked to,

A lot of the time last season he was very wide right almost on the touch line with Trent making runs inside him instead of outside him, We definitely tweaked Trents position last season and pushed Hendo wider,

We do set out to play a style where we are told to step up but trust me you can't step up at any level what so ever if there is no pressure on the man passing the ball, Its 101 defending,

Manger can coach and tell you what to do but when something happens in a game u have to be able to make decisions for yourself, No pressure at all passing from that distance its criminal to step up you have to defend the space,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know it’s an out there comparison. But are you accepting that centre halfs can just push and shove people whenever they want and it doesn’t matter where the ball is.

I’m not saying Nunez was right to head butt him. I’m just saying Andersen took it a bit far.

Within limits, it’s an accepted part of the game. Head butting someone is beyond the limit of acceptable contact between players. We want our CBs to intimidate forwards, don’t think for a second that VVD/Konate/Matip/Gomez are above giving the odd dig to show strikers who is boss. The good ones do it without being caught, if Nunez hadn’t stuck his head in Anderson, there wouldn’t be a thing about the defenders antics. Torres said that his first game against Utd, Ferdinand kicked him so hard he flew up in the air and landed on his backside, then leaned over him and said “welcome to the premiership”. Torres took his medicine and got on with it.

One of the unfortunate things about this, it highlights that Nunez is a hot head, so every defender is now going to step up the niggling at him until he reacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Translation.

I am aware of the ugly attitude I had. I'm here to learn from my mistakes and it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Whether we accept it or not the reality is centre halves and centre forwards have been going at each other since football existed. If Nunez reacts like that to it he's in for a tough season in the premier league...I can guarantee Van Dyke sneakily leaves his mark on any centre forward that wants to get physical with him and we love him for it. Look at Robbo, he gets physical and over the top with opponents most games. He grabbed Eze twice last night, pushing him over the sidelind after the ball went out on one occasions...it's part of his job as a defender!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It seems your trying to offer up an excuse and there is none for what he did. Defender push and shove every game to get reaction. The reaction you give its beat them or do your own push and shove when the ref is not looking not bloody headbut the person where there is no hiding especially with VAR or retroactive punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It wasn’t a headbutt li ZZ’s. The CB feigned a lot of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Of course he did, he went down like a sack of spud's...

Darwin should have seen it coming but was wound up enough at that stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Have to say I'm more frustrated at the inability to break teams down. Is Klopp too rigid with shape? Once Núñez went off Diaz seemed to have a free role and palace no longer were able to stop them. Before they had a guy on him and another near by just in case. Salah similar enough. Don't want to say the word shackles but I guess that's what i am saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Wouldn't put it past that lot to cancel their plans to get the match cancelled seeing the shape we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

The game changed when he came on as it was right after the sending off and that changed everything as opposed to Hendo changing it imo. He wasn't terrible but he has slowed down alot. There was one point where Zaha ( i think) was running into space on our left flank and Hendo was chasing him..I couldnt believe how slow he was tbh. He was gesturing for Van Dijk to come out to Zaha as Hendo didn't have the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Imo Hendo take the ball and drives forward.

He is comfortable playing progressively in tight forward positions.

Impetus is difficult to define but Christ we are lost when he is missing. I never thought he was remarkably quick. If not being able to catch Zaha is the benchmark then he'll be ok.

I agree with you on Hendo

another thing is Hendo constantly demands more from the players around him , he i constantly barking at them & you nearly always see a lift in tempo from everyone when Hendo is in the side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

What plans to get the game cancelled? This is the planned protest for Monday night:

There's also plans for United fans to leave Old Trafford after 17 minutes.

Is that the official plan then?

Better than the original one of blocking teams to get in...

If the United fan's all do leave at 17 minutes that will definitely send a message...

I know how it feels having crap club owner's, as we did for many years...

In a football sense, I feel for them, in a Liverpool sense, long may it continue... 🙂

• Advertisement

They won't all all leave on 17 minutes

The problem United have is you'll have people from all over the world that have paid a fortune to travel to the game so they won't just up and leave, Also what if United are winning ? will they up and leave then, they only get these bigger protests when things are going bad,

Most where quiet on the Glazers out this time last year when G Nev and the lads where tipping them to run City close,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Need to get someone in who can do this when Henderson is not around. I think Virgil can be good at it as can Robbo. I fear we will are losing that period of having experienced, driven players supporting young players.

Perhaps Jude is that player.

The beauty of Hendo is that he is central so close enough to everyone if you get me,

Personally I'm not a huge Jude fan not yet anyway,

Id have loved Barella this summer,

I know 2 United fans heading over actually, but will they leave on 17 mins after going all the way from Dublin, I doubt it but you never know...

Ohh without question there will be fans who are willing to,

Like the die hard United fans frim here that travel over a few time of year id expect them to go but families who bring kids for a once off or first time ever or guys traveling from further afield will be the issue, ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think if UTD get 10k walking out they will be doing well. What that looks like on TV in a 75k seater stadium gods knows...it will be interesting if UTD scored inside the first 15 minutes would the fans be willing to leave then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure 10k of the fans in the United section are probably Liverpool fans who can't get Liverpool tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They'll be stuck with the Glazers forever if they can't all join behind one common form of protest. I've seen 4 different types of protests mooted over the last few days on twitter. Some want nobody to go in at all, some want them to go in but walk out early, some want to only protest outside before the game and others want to try do like last time and get the game postponed followed by every other home game too til it works. They're all over the shop.

News coming out of Germany tonight.

If it's true get rid of him now for some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd rather keep him. There's a fantastic footballer in there, you just need to be careful when you take off the cotton wool with him

Chances are he won't be replaced if he goes, and if he is it'll be a 20/21yo with potential.

Midfield is light considering how many injury prone players we have so we can't really afford letting someone with his experience go.

He wants to play in a midfield with more freedom and he's best buddy Mane has left so can't say I'm surprised

I actually like Naby both it hasn't worked out like everyone hoped

• Advertisement

I would have no issues with this...

Still would have time to get a replacement also...

Keep him and he walks on a free next summer along with Ox.

The club can't afford to let both of them go on a free.

Bobby could also leave on a free next summer.

The club needs to sell to buy if all three leave on a free next summer the budget to buy players will be effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If they're thinking about letting him go I'd guess we're lining up a midfielder. And we have enough younger players in that area so I'd expect a more experienced player coming in if he does leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

No way can they let him leave without replacing with similar quality which wouldn't be cheap and so won't happen. I like keita but he's made of biscuits just like the Ox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What you up to Borussia Dortmund? Cash + player for Bellingham and both clubs get what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

With the amount of injuries we have it's probably not ideal to let him go now and only buy one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But the word was we were buying no one before the transfer deadline closes. IF we do sell him then surely a midfielder that doesn't get injured every second week would be a big upgrade in our midfield options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Id have no issue with Naby leaving. Get in more of a Gini type. We have plenty of midfielders but two many injury prone ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We've shown we have no problem letting players go. Ox and Keita have little resale value as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

The fantastic footballer can't be bothered coming out of there for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Last season was his best season at the club by miles and I'd say he had three or four games where he genuinely played at or near the top of his ability and a few average ones and that was it. It's nowhere near good enough.

The club shouldn't have been offering him any sort of deal, and if he's turning down what they're offering then too bad for him.

• Advertisement

Perhaps he's not cut out for the rough and tumble of a Klopp squad...or he's not happy with the role he has to play.

Gini was very good at playing his role in the team even though he played a different one for the Netherlands, often getting more goals.

Maybe Naby can't do that. It's a shame as he is a really good player. It could be a similar issue that happened with Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

There's definitely a spectrum of body resilience that cuts careers short, limits others and allows the likes of ronaldo and Kevin kilbane play every game possible. Naby isn't blessed like Kilbane and i think they should look to change if the opportunity presents itself.

Unless it's good money and we are guaranteed a replacement, Naby stays.

There are flashes of brilliance but he hasn't the body or, imo, the mentality.

Nonetheless, things are so bad squad wise atm, if the option is for him to be available ten games or leave and not be replaced, then I'd keep him, bosman next year be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nunes going to Wolves means that we surely must have someone else either lined up or in mind for replacing Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I d’know about this one. I’ve seen Naby look a force to be reckoned with in one match, then a headless chicken in the next. His injury record is poor, so I’d veer towards letting him off. I’ve read online that he is a complete bonehead and his agent is a pest, but that doesn’t make him unique among footballers. If it meant we got a better player in, everyone is a winner.

Again, would we replace him? If not it's a no brainer.

I really wouldn't rule out a battle for top four this season so money is no good if we can't spend it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If the club thought there was any risk in Keita leaving this summer then surely they would have brought in a replacement, the fact they haven't, probably means they know he won't be leaving. If he does want to leave, probably best to let him off as it's difficult to get anything out of unhappy players. Tbh I wouldn't mind Keita leaving, his injury record is poor and he's inconsistent even within games, hopefully we could get a more robust midfielder in.

• Advertisement

Seems Red Bull Germany want him back to rekindle the partnership he had with Timo Werner which was very successful for them before.

Honestly if the could get 15/20m from RB for him they should take it.

Im a big fan of Naby he is a hugely talented baller however his body sadly isn’t cut out for the premier league schedule.

If they keep him and he goes on a free next summer that’s Naby, Ox & Milner gone from midfield all at once next summer.

Is Klopp going to buy 3 midfielders next summer to replace them.

Hendo will be 33, Thiago will be 32 and Fab will be 30 at the start of next season

We could do with getting a mid 20’s midfielder in during this window and one in during the winter window and one in next summer

Advertisement