Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Moreno, another failed signing by Rodgers regime. We fairly squandered the Suarez money on absolute mediocrity.

Klopp rightly got rid.

Seems like a harmless bloke and happy for him. Delighted he's plying his trade elsewhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Delighted for Moreno - didnt work out at Liverpool. Had so much hope when he score against Spurs. Went downhill fairly lively. Such a contrast to what TAA and Robbo offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

This season was largely a miserable slog but events of the last week or so have made it a lot more palatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cartman78 wrote: »
    This season was largely a miserable slog but events of the last week or so have made it a lot more palatable

Absolutely. I think the momentum and confidence going into next year is far greater than I expected a few weeks ago.

Already looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

6 wrote: »
    Moreno, another failed signing by Rodgers regime. We fairly squandered the Suarez money on absolute mediocrity.

Klopp rightly got rid.

Seems like a harmless bloke and happy for him. Delighted he's plying his trade elsewhere though.

Ah Moreno left as had no contract

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

When do you think there’ll be full attendance allowed back in anfield? 10,000 last game of the season so maybe 25000 at the start of next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Moreno? Sure wasn't he laughing and joking with the Sevilla players after the Europa League final we lost?

0_Screen-Shot-2021-03-13-at-220233.png

An absolute spoofer. I bet you he was blocking the paths over here when he came over with his school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Morning Reds. Beautiful day out there. An extra spring in my step this morning too for some reason. :D

It's been a fantastic end to the season, it must be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Knex* wrote: »
    Absolutely. I think the momentum and confidence going into next year is far greater than I expected a few weeks ago.

Already looking forward to it.

100%.

At one point I was fearful that this season would do irreparable damage to the squads mentality but we finished out the last two months in title winning form. Has to be said we were in title winning form up to December too even though during both those periods we never looked convincing.

The mad two ish month slump in the middle did it for us but we've matched City for points won over the last three seasons so there's plenty to be hopeful on going into the new season.

But of luck on the injury front and with Var, some good signings and we'll be right with them again next season too.

Afcon is an unwelcome spanner in the works though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

6 wrote: »
    It's been a fantastic end to the season, it must be said.

I think it could only be topped perhaps if the Champions League final was cancelled and the entire competition declared null and void for this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

When do you think there’ll be full attendance allowed back in anfield? 10,000 last game of the season so maybe 25000 at the start of next season?

Are they not dropping all restrictions some time in June , talk of a packed wembley for the euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Moreno? Sure wasn't he laughing and joking with the Sevilla players after the Europa League final we lost?

0_Screen-Shot-2021-03-13-at-220233.png

An absolute spoofer. I bet you he was blocking the paths over here when he came over with his school.

At least he doesn't forget his few seasons with us :

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/nm0i5v/cheeky_alberto/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fieldog wrote: »
    At least he doesn't forget his few seasons with us :

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/nm0i5v/cheeky_alberto/

:)

MAN UTD GET OUT...GET OUT! haha

He's a great laugh to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

jasus Eamonn Dunphy looks in rag order , not that he was ever prince charming

but my god

• Advertisement

jasus Eamonn Dunphy looks in rag order.........

To be fair he's 75, if that's a recent picture for a lad in his 70s I'd not say he's in rag order.
    Looked worse 20 years ago IMO.

rob316 wrote: »
    MAN UTD GET OUT...GET OUT! haha

He's a great laugh to be fair

Nearly as good as his Chris Kamara impression... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Was delighted for Moreno when we won the CL and delighted to see him pick up another EL title now as well.
    Took a great penalty too - would have been destroyed on social media had he missed so glad to see him stick it away.
    Always seemed liked a happy character off the pitch just not a very good defender on it!!! :p
    Always nice to see our previous players doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ah Moreno left as had no contract

Well yeah but even before that he was literally benched for an entire season despite Liverpool not having a second LB and just playing Milner there instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still remember when Robertson first came in, he was playing ahead of him. He seemed to have played into some bit of form but we all knew a disaster was lurking. The absolute joy when Robertson got a go and never looked back, bargain of the decade.

His best worst moment for me was when he hacked down Naismith in the box against Norwich, fouled him got away with it, then goes and does it again. Brainless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

On reflection, I've never been so happy after winning absolutely nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can still remember being completely blinded by Moreno's performance v Spurs just after he signed and thinking he would be the solution to the LB problems we had at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I was convinced he was good for morale and good craic in the dressing room, because he wasn't being kept around for anything g he was doing on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Well yeah but even before that he was literally benched for an entire season despite Liverpool not having a second LB and just playing Milner there instead.
    That was the 2016/17 season. Apart from Sakho, Klopp has never just given up on a player to the point that he wanted them out of the club immediately. He has given each player every possible chance to show themselves. Klopp spoke about the decision to take Moreno out of the team so that he could improve while not under the pressure and microscope of being in the first team.

Moreno was re-introduced to the starting lineup for the beginning of the following season (2017/18) and was almost ever present until he picked up an ankle injury in December. That in itself shows that the manager didn't lose faith in the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moreno has also been to 5 European Finals with three different clubs in two countries in the last 8 years that’s not bad going at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Moreno is getting married on Wednesday as well that’s a nice wedding present

We all know what his wedding will be like , the lunatic

dd9f558b8b6ccf168a536c8473cc1751.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think Moreno's an extremely likeable person but he comes across as the world's biggest dope. He could be a member of mensa for all I know but I think it's probably unlikely.

God I hated him at LB.

I still get shudders from some of his brain farts, especially that EL final one 30 seconds after the second half kicked off and he let Seville in to score. The peak of his Liverpool career really was his debut goal v Spurs,it was all down hill after that.
    I think it could only be topped perhaps if the Champions League final was cancelled and the entire competition declared null and void for this season

That would be just the cherry on top, UEFA should really cancel the game as a punishment for the Super League :pac:
    Im really conflicted about who I want to see win on Saturday. Im thinking Chelsea just about as it prolongs Peps frustrations with City winning the CL. Pep is so highly strung that a CL final loss will eat him alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't care too much but for some reason I quite like Pep so if City win then I'd be ok with that I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If City win maybe Pep gets tempted by another 'project'. PSG might be looking for a manager soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Managers either available or soon to be on the market ;
    Zidane, Allegri, Conte, and Pochetino.

Will United stick with Ole with options like that possibly available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Managers either available or soon to be on the market ;
    Zidane, Allegri, Conte, and Pochetino.

Will United stick with Ole with options like that possibly available?

They will 100% stick with Ole imo. Got a good laugh out of the fact he was unaware that going first in a shoot out gives you an advantage. Shows how off the mark United are when it comes down to the details. He was probably unaware De Gea hadn't saved a penalty for 5 years and had conceded 29 (40 now :pac:) in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

huddled in circles smoking this morning when i went to work ,whispering, giving out they were, gestures aplenty between them... fckin glorious unexpected sight i must say. bring on the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fitz* wrote: »
    I can still remember being completely blinded by Moreno's performance v Spurs just after he signed and thinking he would be the solution to the LB problems we had at the time.

The came before or the game after he caused a stupid stupid goal at City and I never trusted him after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fromvert wrote: »
    They will 100% stick with Ole imo. Got a good laugh out of the fact he was unaware that going first in a shoot out gives you an advantage. Shows how off the mark United are when it comes down to the details. He was probably unaware De Gea hadn't saved a penalty for 5 years and had conceded 29 (40 now :pac:) in that time.

Is that what he said? Certainly explains it! The Villareal captain won the coin-toss and chose the end with their fans behind it, naturally. This then meant that Utd had the choice of going first or second. Wasn't sure what was going on when I saw Villareal kicking first! Bruno must've chosen to go second. Strange stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is that what he said? Certainly explains it! The Villareal captain won the coin-toss and chose the end with their fans behind it, naturally. This then meant that Utd had the choice of going first or second. Wasn't sure what was going on when I saw Villareal kicking first! Bruno must've chosen to go second. Strange stuff.

Apparently

https://twitter.com/lauriewhitwell/status/1397902936366276610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1397902936366276610%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058179351page%3D398

Any decent manager/coaching staff/analytics team would be all over fine margin stuff like this and it would be drummed into the captain before the game and reminded again before the coin toss that they go first if you get the option.

tbh I didn't know that but then again Manchester Utd aren't paying me £5M a year to know stuff like this.

60/40 is more than a marginal difference it's huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

gimli2112 wrote: »
    tbh I didn't know that but then again Manchester Utd aren't paying me £5M a year to know stuff like this.

60/40 is more than a marginal difference it's huge

Never knew it as fact either, but pure common sense has always told me that going first in a shoot-out is optimal. Assuming you score your first (and you should with your best taker up first), then you're piling the pressure on the opposition to keep themselves in it.

But my job isn't to know that for fact. Surely to christ a manager heading in to a final which could go to penalties should know it! Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Surely if that stat is true it'd be well known by every player & coach at the top level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

brevity wrote: »
    I don't care too much but for some reason I quite like Pep so if City win then I'd be ok with that I guess.

The problem is if Pep finally breaks the seal on winning it with City and they strengthen further this summer with someone like Haaland you could see them going on to win it again next season. Once theyve got that first CL under their belts they could turn into a juggernaut. I think its more in our interests that Chelsea win it as they change managers a lot more frequently. Neither option is nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fromvert wrote: »
    Apparently

https://twitter.com/lauriewhitwell/status/1397902936366276610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1397902936366276610%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058179351page%3D398

Any decent manager/coaching staff/analytics team would be all over fine margin stuff like this and it would be drummed into the captain before the game and reminded again before the coin toss that they go first if you get the option.

I remember this coming up a few years ago - there was a suggestion made to change the fomat so after the first penalty, the same team took two in a row.

IN other words, instead of Team A, team B, team A team B, team A...
    it would have been Team A, team B, team B, team A, team A....

No idea what happened to it other than it being shelved for some reason.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely if that stat is true it'd be well known by every player & coach at the top level?

Whatever about the stat itself - but doesn't everyone know that going first is preferable? Like, isn't that something that's just inherently known right down to schoolboy level? If you go first and miss one, you're still in it, and there's a little extra pressure on their guy to finish it off and be the hero. If you go second, you're always reacting. Every time the other team scores theirs, you're psychologically 'behind', always only drawing level, whereas they're always going ahead.

I remember this coming up a few years ago - there was a suggestion made to change the fomat so after the first penalty, the same team took two in a row.

IN other words, instead of Team A, team B, team A team B, team A...
    it would have been Team A, team B, team B, team A, team A....

No idea what happened to it other than it being shelved for some reason.

It was brought in at some point, but then removed again... trying to remember what tournament it was in for... maybe a confederations cup or something? Was it even in at one world cup?

<edit> Was used at some underage international tournaments, and in the Carabou Cup and Community Shield for a while. I guess maybe they scrapped it to keep the clear cut drama for the viewer, even though it's a fairer system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The problem is if Pep finally breaks the seal on winning it with City and they strengthen further this summer with someone like Haaland you could see them going on to win it again next season. Once theyve got that first CL under their belts they could turn into a juggernaut. I think its more in our interests that Chelsea win it as they change managers a lot more frequently. Neither option is nice though.

Man City will spend this summer. Pep saying they cannot buy a striker is not true. They lost £126m and still went out and spent almost £100m on two defenders. They don't care and after the world lauded them for pulling out of the ESL first they will see it as proof they can do what they want. So we will have to think about winning the title again with close to 100 points as that is where City will be when they have finished buying more quality players without worrying about balancing the books.

I found this tweet interesting,

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1397928536753655811?s=20

Seems like he is unhappy about the way UEFA is treating fans, and UEFA should be giving something back to fans due to them putting a stop to the ESL. I thought someone who has been around would be a little smarter than he is, the only thing that has changed is UEFA has more power now instead of the clubs. They don't care about fans and never have. But somehow UEFA lucked themselves out to be the some sort of safe hands for football. The world is weird place these days.

It's sad that a high percentage of the people actually attending UEFA's cup final wouldn't be able to find either Chelsea or Manchester on a map.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote: »
    Man City will spend this summer. Pep saying they cannot buy a striker is not true. They lost £126m and still went out and spent almost £100m on two defenders. They don't care and after the world lauded them for pulling out of the ESL first they will see it as proof they can do what they want. So we will have to think about winning the title again with close to 100 points as that is where City will be when they have finished buying more quality players without worrying about balancing the books.

I found this tweet interesting,

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1397928536753655811?s=20

Seems like he is unhappy about the way UEFA is treating fans, and UEFA should be giving something back to fans due to them putting a stop to the ESL. I thought someone who has been around would be a little smarter than he is, the only thing that has changed is UEFA has more power now instead of the clubs. They don't care about fans and never have. But somehow UEFA lucked themselves out to be the some sort of safe hands for football. The world is weird place these days.

Yeah, it's nuts that any institution at all could be argued to have come out of that whole debacle positively, and yet we have Sky and Uefa championing themselves.

All that whole thing really did (for me at least) was draw attention to how corrupt and greedy the whole thing is on every front. We always inherently know this, but it was something you could kind of turn a blind eye to a bit and just follow and enjoy your team... but this just forced you to look dead in the eye at each of these equally rubbish media entities and governing bodies and feel a bit worse about buying into the whole thing in any capacity.

That whole thing of forcing a large % of CL final attendees to also buy into the official chartered package is such massively shit behaviour. Like, the main money for that match is coming from TV - so just give fans a bit of a break. It's already hard enough to get tickets for events like that, without these crazy stipulations. Much better off making it a little easier for them, giving you a better atmosphere on TV, making the occasion an altogether better product anyway. But it's like they just can't let a single opportunity to squeeze the fans or broker a commercial partnership pass.

When they were trying to decide which country was best to host the CL final after Germany couldn't do it I saw the head of UEFA say football considerations would be prioritised over commercial ones. They're an utterly shameless institution.

FIFA have gone very quiet actually since all the corruption came to light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Inter appear to be in serious trouble financial trouble ...

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1397595677341986818

Talisman wrote: »
    Inter appear to be in serious trouble financial trouble ...

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1397595677341986818

Cheeky bid for Lautaro Martínez?
    (or Lukaku :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Never knew it as fact either, but pure common sense has always told me that going first in a shoot-out is optimal. Assuming you score your first (and you should with your best taker up first), then you're piling the pressure on the opposition to keep themselves in it.

But my job isn't to know that for fact. Surely to christ a manager heading in to a final which could go to penalties should know it! Unbelievable.

It's fairly obvious that the team taking the penalties first have an advantage over the team going second especially when it goes to sudden death, even if the team going first miss, there's still a chance the opposition could miss theres. To be given the choice and go second was a really dumb move.
    Delighted Villarreal won, Ole probably has done just enough to hang onto his job, hopefully he has a good start to next season before it inevitably implodes, it's only a matter of time before he's replaced, just hope he can last long enough to sabotage another season, realistically I'd be surprised if he makes it to Christmas. Once they get a decent manager they'll be serious contenders again and there will be a few decent managers floating around soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement