Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ridiculous take. He's just turned 23 and has played 2 halves of football for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Interesting what he said about throwing 150 mill at Dortmund. Just admitted that Bellingham is the player he wants.

Wonder if they are working on this in the background for next season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fully formed at 23 is crazy,

Salah, Mane, Firmino, Robertson, VVD all came to Liverpool older and all made huge changes to there games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Bizarre comment. You do remember Luiz Suarez for 18 months with us?? He was a likely to put a one and one straight at the keeper as he was put it over the bar, he would then curle in a screamer with his next touch! So inconsistent it would drive you mad but I think he turned out ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

I always chuckle when people use generational players like Suarez as a baseline. It's the same logic that leads to people thinking we have another batch of club legends in the academy, because we had two or three in the last 30 years.

The fact is, we've enjoyed a prolonged period of freakishly amazing transfers where nearly every transfer worked out amazingly for us. That level of hit rate and success is unsustainable, and it's only natural that we'll eventually sign some real duds along the way, like Klopp did at Dortmund when he replaced Lewa with Immobile. I'm not directly comparing the two btw, but I am saying that comparing 99% of forwards with Suarez will only end in disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

While you can’t expect a Suarez every time, it’s perfectly valid to reference him, or probably any top player when arguing the nonsense point that a 23 year old new signing has reached his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Naby will leave before deadline day and a replacement will come in.

What? I was basically using Suarez to point out the flawed logic in from the previous poster that players reach their potential by the age of 23. I didn't even remotely compare abilities between the 2 in my post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm pretty sure that was the poster speaking, and not Klopp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m not sure Suarez was used as any sort of a baseline there… the post was in answer to another post stating that a fella just turned 23 would do no further developing. Suarez (countryman playing for us in the same position) is as good an example as any that it’s entirely normal for players to keep improving and developing (even if they don’t happen to go on to be one of the best ever).If you want a less fancy one, Pat Bamford’s most composed season of finishing came at ~26/27. And Michail Antonio’s finishing has gotten progressively better into his late 20s and early 30s.

• Advertisement

You can't expect a Suarez 99% of the time! I do agree completely that no player is the complete article at 23, but again, using players like Ian Wright, Vardy et al as a baseline should also be done with caution, as it falls into the same trap.

TLDR we've no idea what kind of player Nunez will be in say 4 years time, at the traditional peak age for a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Puts to bed the idea that Klopp is the one deciding not to make signings and that money is there for him if he needs it.

FSG are responsible owners, but spending to genuinely compete is not their MO. We only spend what we generate, and when we say generate this means what we can offload in sales (plus maybe 20million at a stretch).

Our manager has worked miracles and he has bailed out FSG on numerous occasions, namely the season before last where he delivered a miraculous 4th place position despite having no senior CBs.

The argument that it was "Konate or nobody" wouldn't have washed had we finished 5th, in essence it would have cost us millions earned from our run to the final last season.

Record sponsorship deals, increased matchday revenue under FSG are not reflected with requisite squad investment. People will say wages are astronomical, on the whole they are big yes, but we do not compete for the highest earning players. We are a club who have competed in 3 of the last 5 champions league finals.

Back this manager FFS.

Thanks! Just read back and saw where the quotation marks stopped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Any thoughts on line up etc tonight?

I think a lot of the team is being forcefully picked because of injuries/Nunez suspension etc. Gomez alongside VVD, Fabinho & Hendo + one more. Bobby probably starts upfront but will only last 60 mins. Who starts in midfield is it Keita or Elliott? Keita was brilliant in this game last season and was able to pick up some great positions with his mobility and running through their midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Suarez looks a far more accomplished footballer as does Cavani, irrespective of strike rates. It's way too early to pass definitive judgement on the guy but in comparison to Haaland he looks a bit wanting. Nunez is the more expensive player of the two, oddly. Jurys still out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Never confident going in to this game and no exception this season despite their troubles. Always a fear they’ll click in to gear, either as a once off or the start of something. Ordinarily a point is good but our first 2 results have put a bit of pressure on us to get a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

What difference does his wage make to how disappointed he's going to be not getting to the World Cup with his country which might, given he's 31, be his last? The amount he earns doesn't mitigate that in any way and it shouldn't determine whether or not other humans can sympathise or feel sorry for his situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Given the shambles of a team Unitesd have currently, we have to be looking at 3 points, anything else would be a real disappointment. Yes, these games - like the Derby- can take on a life of their own, but given how we destroyed them last year, and they are worse now, 3 points needs to be gathered.

Bobby will lead the line, Diaz will cause havoc, Salah might actually kick into gear, midfield should be on top and hopefully Ronaldo will start, so his 'pace' should cause us no harm, unlike Zaha.

Hopefully there are no contentious decisions and we get a comfortable win. But I've a feeling it will be a fiesty affair, especially the longer it stays close.

I have a feeling Klopp's comments last night are for the funds to be released now for Bellingham and not to wait for next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Our net spend the past 6 years has been 226m euro, including the ridiculous amount we got for Coutinho. Since FSG took over it has been 441m euro. It works out to about 33m euro since they took over or 36m the past 5 years. These discussions about FSG as owners is difficult at the best of time, but when it starts out with information that is not correct to paint them in a bad light it will not end well.

Klopp knew what he said would cause headlines, he mentions it in the press conference that the journalist will have to sit on the information until Sunday before he can print it. I think he knew what he was doing. Whether that was to put pressure on the owners is open for debate. But again he did not say anything we have not know before. We will not just buy a player because the fanbase and experts tells us we must. We are not United.

We can do with some cover in midfield, so who is available now that will fit seamlessly into our system and be all that we want from a midfielder - a terrier in closing others down and a creative genius, a goal scorer and will not pick up injuries. Also he needs to be fit enough to run as much as we do, without a pre-season with us and will need to slot in and be in tune with our players from minute 1. Oh yeah, we don't have fantasy money either so we cannot pretend to spend £200m on that one player that ticks all the boxes - even if he exists.

We don't ask for much....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Tonight's game could be anything with all the distractions going on. Not confident at all as we haven't got going really. Shaky at the back as well doesn't give much confidence going there. You can't really prepare for that utd team either. It's the one game of the year they might actually try.

Funds are there for Bellingham to be bought this summer, if BVB would sell him. The problem is BVB willingness to sell IMO.

I'm the same based on our form of conceding first in the last 8 games. They score the first goal and they'll dig in for a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If they score first they'll park the bus, could be a long night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Luckily they can't park the bus even if they tried 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Im still expecting a naby plus cash offer to be made to BVB. They wont sell Bellingham without someone to replace him.

It would be good business for Dortmund.

ye iv a fleeing first goal is massive they score we are in trouble,

If we score they could fall apart ,

VVD header in the fist 15

They will park the bus regardless. At 0-0 or even 0-3 to preserve dignity.

Set pieces is their most obvious weakness, so with Maguire's fondness for ball watching and general brain-fartery, and their overall lack of height, Virgil might find himself getting a standing header past DeGea at some point tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am not sure they are capable of parking the bus with Maguire and Shaw at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Haaland comparison is maybe a bit unfair… Darwin cost us more, but only because of the release clause Mino got put in Haaland’s contract a few years ago - without that, he’s a 200m pound player. Himself and Mbappe would be the two highest value players in the world right now most likely.

I’d be telling any player that’s gets into the Man I if they being pulled or their jersey is tugged to go down and let it go to VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Harrowing read about the Hillsborough and Munich chanting from the Athletic...

How many minutes in before there is an issue with Joey Gomez and the line ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think it is just frustration with the injuries we are having at the moment. I think the last year at Dortmund will be something he will not want to repeat and the first 2 matches must have him worried we will have the same outcome, good performances and no reward. We can negate some of these feelings with a good performance and result this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

No other game gives me a sick feeling in my stomach than this one.

Prediction this evening;

Ali

Trent Gomez VVD Robbo

Elliot Fab Hendo

Salah Bobby Diaz

I think we will win 2-1..form generally goes out the window(last season aside) in these fixtures and the heat Ten Hag has taken this week, I can see a improved UTD performance. Hopefully we can start clicking into our grove, we were awful in the first 60 minutes against Fulham, much more improved despite the result against Palace so hopefully tonight will be another step. To be fair to Palace and Fulham they're both well organised, highly energetic sides and can definitely hurt you going forward (partially Palace). Like I said, I can see an improved UTD performance but I cant see a cohesive, well disciplined hard working performance from them like we faced in our games against Fulham and Palace.

😁 But, not as good as the Real Madrid one. Presumably he was saying how much he'll miss RM. Although, it was reported on the BBC as him saying he was joining 'the biggest club in the world'. He's been well briefed as to what to say, but he must have been dying a little inside saying that while still at RM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Says a lot about how far United have fallen that they can sign a player from Real Madrid because they aren’t competing with them in Europe anymore.

It is a very good signing for United and will only improve them, though. Glad he’s not signed in time to play tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The one at Anfield I hate a bit more, I don't mind losing but I absolutely hate losing to that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Damien360

If Utd come out and attack tonight, I’m confident we will eat them alive. But if they sit deep, then it’s going to be difficult to see anything other than a tight game with one goal in it. We seem to have misplaced that ability to break down a team sitting deep. It’s not lack of confidence but the midfield is just not working due to injuries now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Last time himself and VVD started together we lost 7- 2

Ronaldo and Maguire seemingly dropped from the starting 11

So no change really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i haven't had a good feeling about this game since the palace game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If I could offer a few words of comfort and sensibility at this time;

Lads, it’s United.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Maguire out which is a bit of a bummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya that's a huge bonus for them. I assume it'll be Martinez and Varane instead, on paper a far superior pairing. I'm fairly cautious about this. They've obviously been woeful so far but we've not been great either.

They've pace on the counter which I assume is how they'll set up to play. Hopefully we play with purpose and pace from the start. Not the sideways, slow and pedestrian stuff of last week.

Advertisement