Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

With the financial issues in France, Italy and Spain (and elsewhere throughout Europe) there must be a few bargains to be had if the club can find some cash.

The club lost money through the lack of matchday but you'd hope the Redbird investment or even FSG putting some cash in could offset that for now and go for it, try and kick on again and get 4 or 5 quality players that are more in the lower/mid 20's age range. Get those signings right and you're pretty set for a year or two with minimal outlay.

Similar to 2017-19 period where we had a 400m outlay with 250m coming in. Those two years were followed by a 12m spend in 2020 and then we kicked it up a bit again last year with 90m.

I'm probably getting a little caught up with the good end of season mood and I had a bit of a feeling of dread if we missed CL (a 100m loss could easily have become closer to 200m if that happened) but I'm being optimistic and I think we'll see a decent spend this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fromvert wrote: »
    With the financial issues in France, Italy and Spain (and elsewhere throughout Europe) there must be a few bargains to be had if the club can find some cash.

The club lost money through the lack of matchday but you'd hope the Redbird investment or even FSG putting some cash in could offset that for now and go for it, try and kick on again and get 4 or 5 quality players that are more in the lower/mid 20's age range. Get those signings right and you're pretty set for a year or two with minimal outlay.

Similar to 2017-19 period where we had a 400m outlay with 250m coming in. Those two years were followed by a 12m spend in 2020 and then we kicked it up a bit again last year with 90m.

I'm probably getting a little caught up with the good end of season mood but I'm being optimistic and I think we'll see a decent spend this summer.

That's what they said in the aftermath of the deal anyway - that it wouldn't turn us into world beaters, but allow spending to remain as if covid hadn't happened. So you'd hope a few decent deals can be done. Probably not any superstar deals - we've only done those when there was a massive gaping hole in the first 11 - but some of their usual Robbo/Fab/Jota deals would be great.

Even just going for a 35m CB when we could have just bought Kabak for half that is a really positive sign, since CB wasn't necessarily a spot where we needed a starter - with the quality we have coming back we could've gotten by with just adding a bit of 3rd or 4th choice depth there, if money was tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that the team taking the penalties first have an advantage over the team going second especially when it goes to sudden death, even if the team going first miss, there's still a chance the opposition could miss theres. To be given the choice and go second was a really dumb move.
    Delighted Villarreal won, Ole probably has done just enough to hang onto his job, hopefully he has a good start to next season before it inevitably implodes, it's only a matter of time before he's replaced, just hope he can last long enough to sabotage another season, realistically I'd be surprised if he makes it to Christmas. Once they get a decent manager they'll be serious contenders again and there will be a few decent managers floating around soon.
    Did I imagine it or did the club not announce he was getting a new contract around the time of their Man City game?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Whatever about the stat itself - but doesn't everyone know that going first is preferable? Like, isn't that something that's just inherently known right down to schoolboy level? If you go first and miss one, you're still in it, and there's a little extra pressure on their guy to finish it off and be the hero. If you go second, you're always reacting. Every time the other team scores theirs, you're psychologically 'behind', always only drawing level, whereas they're always going ahead.......

Yes... That was already mentioned so I didn't repeat it
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Never knew it as fact either, but pure common sense has always told me that going first in a shoot-out is optimal. Assuming you score your first (and you should with your best taker up first), then you're piling the pressure on the opposition to keep themselves in it.

But my job isn't to know that for fact. Surely to christ a manager heading in to a final which could go to penalties should know it! Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fromvert wrote: »

I'm probably getting a little caught up with the good end of season mood and I had a bit of a feeling of dread if we missed CL (a 100m loss could easily have become closer to 200m if that happened) but I'm being optimistic and I think we'll see a decent spend this summer.

I wonder if the club will factor in potential earnings this season into any summer budgets? As you mentioned, there are some clubs, and almost entire leagues, in some dire financial situations. The French league, Inter, a lot of Spanish teams for example.

The UK seems to be well ahead of Europe in terms of vaccine rollout which will help get mass crowds back into stadiums. I wonder if this will be a factor? English clubs knowing that come September, they should be in receipt of their typical matchday income. Knowing that they won't need to hold back cash to keep the club operating may free up some more money for transfers. European clubs might be that bit longer behind in terms of matchday income and may need an injection of cash in order to keep their head above water. Add that to the larger TV revenue, and some bully boy tactics could be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What's the story with insurance actually - we've had some big players and high earners out for a long time, will their wages have been covered by insurance? Gomez and VVD being off the books for pretty much a full season, added to Matip, Henderson and Jota being off it for half a season that's probably a hell of a lot of wages that potentially don't need to be paid...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What's the story with insurance actually - we've had some big players and high earners out for a long time, will their wages have been covered by insurance? Gomez and VVD being off the books for pretty much a full season, added to Matip, Henderson and Jota being off it for half a season that's probably a hell of a lot of wages that potentially don't need to be paid...

AFAIK England should be paying Gomez's wages as he was injured on international duty.

There was a bit of a case a few years ago when Liverpool told England not to play Gerrard for more than 45 mins but they did and he ended up getting injured for a month or so. England had to cover his wages then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Delighted the mancs lost ha ha

Now lets hope city lose also

I have no idea why this post was carded, after all it's not like it was posted in Man UTD thread (that would've been extracting the p) but I'd genuinely like to know why there was an infraction.

I actually googled the word mancs to see if it was an insult but apparently it's just like Dubs or Scousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I have no idea why this post was carded, after all it's not like it was posted in Man UTD thread (that would've been extracting the p) but I'd genuinely like to know why there was an infraction.

I actually googled the word mancs to see if it was an insult but apparently it's just like Dubs or Scousers.

I got carded for something similar before as well. Apparently in the Liverpool forum one is not allowed mention where other teams hail from! Prob get a second yellow for this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wikipedia literally has it as a derogatory term for United or City fans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manc

Granted it can also pertain to the accent but I don't think that's what they meant. Don't think I've heard it much outside of Liverpool fans having a go in my life really so don't know?

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    I got carded for something similar before as well. Apparently in the Liverpool forum one is not allowed mention where other teams hail from! Prob get a second yellow for this :(

It's really got silly here if you can't say how ya feel about you're rival not winning a trophy.

What's expected?

Liam O wrote: »

Granted it can also pertain to the accent but I don't think that's what they meant. Don't think I've heard it much outside of Liverpool fans having a go in my life really so don't know?

Do you take it as an insult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Do you take it as an insult?

I don't but I don't think that's the point. Derogatory names for teams are against the charter as a blanket rule.

Also I'm not from Manchester so I did always find it a strange thing to be called in an Irish pub or wherever :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

More Bissouma rumours beginning to surface, I wonder are they reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane put Sarr's goal against us on his Instagram today and this now seems to be fuelling speculation that he is a target.

End of season feedback thread should be open soon I guess you could ask in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Liam O wrote: »

That's why I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The fire sale at Inter could be interesting, Hakimi could a great get at right back and could free up TAA to move into midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

TAA into midfield. Not once has Klopp looked like playing him there. Ever discussed him playing there. He is one of the the best RB in the world. I can't for the life of me see Klopp playing him through the middle. Maybe Southgate will surprise us all this summer and play him there - he plays a blinder - gets MOTM - scores assists - all of a sudden it becomes clear ... that is his position. We've all been fooled.

He doesn't get in ahead of Thiago for me. Certainly not in place of Fabinho in the 6, or Hendo. We literally setup to play and anchor the middle to allow him and Robbo the freedom to get forward. It was more than good enough to win a CL and PL ... different game through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is Mancs not a breed of cat with no tail? ;)

Obligatory shot of our own hero:
    _58359137_cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

TAA into midfield. Not once has Klopp looked like playing him there. Ever discussed him playing there. He is one of the the best RB in the world. I can't for the life of me see Klopp playing him through the middle. Maybe Southgate will surprise us all this summer and play him there - he plays a blinder - gets MOTM - scores assists - all of a sudden it becomes clear ... that is his position. We've all been fooled.

He doesn't get in ahead of Thiago for me. Certainly not in place of Fabinho in the 6, or Hendo. We literally setup to play and anchor the middle to allow him and Robbo the freedom to get forward. It was more than good enough to win a CL and PL ... different game through the middle.

Exactly this, we are set up when our team is fully fit to allow our fullbacks to be our most creative outlets. Our midfield has to do a lot of hard work, grafting and positional play that would completely diminish Trents attributes and to be honest I'd say he'd be dropped quick enough.

The space and ability to run onto the ball from full back is a massive part of Trents game. That just won't happen in centre midfield.

Could Trent play in midfield? Absolutely. Would it be the best use of him? No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fieldog wrote: »

I must be stuck in a time warp, we've been completing that signing for what seems an eternity now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://theathletic.com/2608070/2021/05/28/konate-deal-is-close-but-liverpool-will-need-to-sell-before-they-buy-more-players/?amp

Pearce saying a new striker will be signed if Origi and Shaq move on. Bissouma is not a target and no replacement planned for Gini as Ox and Nabby are staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I must be stuck in a time warp, we've been completing that signing for what seems an eternity now.

yeah normally the player trots out onto the Anfield pitch and I think "When the hell did we sign him?"

Fieldog wrote: »

Seems like the ITK should have left her first guess at May 31st and not changed it to May 1st.

Seems like the ITK should have left her first guess at May 31st and not changed it to May 1st.

:D

Definitely seems like it will be then anyway as doesn't Gini' contract end in July 31st?

They probably start contracts at the very end of month I would say ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://theathletic.com/2608070/2021/05/28/konate-deal-is-close-but-liverpool-will-need-to-sell-before-they-buy-more-players/?amp

Pearce saying a new striker will be signed if Origi and Shaq move on. Bissouma is not a target and no replacement planned for Gini as Ox and Nabby are staying.

This does not inspire confidence, and is the same as not getting in defensive cover when Lovren left. Have the club learned nothing from this season? Neother of those can stay fit for any length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

wouldn't pass too much regards to that.
    Edwards is a canny operator, no way he is allowing journalists (no matter how well connected they are) to see all his cards.

For the last few years the signings that have come in, how many of them were flagged by the likes of Pearce ahead of time? Jota? Fabinho? Ox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This does not inspire confidence, and is the same as not getting in defensive cover when Lovren left. Have the club learned nothing from this season? Neother of those can stay fit for any length of time.

I'd say Jones is playing abig part in the decision as well. He progressed very well this season and I'd imagine he'll be one called upon a lot next season.

Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho the first choice.

Jones, Milner, Ox, Keita as backup even if Shaq does move on.

If you got Auror in for decent money it'd add great quality from the bench though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Even when fit they are simply not good enough. The drop off from first choice to the backups is huge. To big. Ox and Keita are just 'cup' players at this stage. There to help the kids in those competitions

Sorry to be pedantic but Klopp has played TAA in midfield. Away to Chelsea at the end of the 17/18 season, with Clyne as RB. Southgate moved him into midfield in some qualifier for about 15 minutes one day too, against one of the lower ranked nations when they were 5-0 up or something.

But I do agree with your overall point. I would much prefer to play and stay at RB. He is a top class RB and will only get better there too. He can become one of the all time greats at RB, the same way that Dani Alves is viewed as one.

Pearce saying a new striker will be signed if Origi and Shaq move on.......

Hopefully they do as they're given fook all opportunity to contribute so we can only presume they are terrible in training etc. Not being able to dislodge Bobby or Mane for a game or two when both of them were terrible is a telling reflection of Origi and Shaq's standing in the squad.
    ....................Bissouma is not a target and no replacement planned for Gini as Ox and Nabby are staying.

My reaction to that is a resounding FFS.

Hakan Çalhanoğlu - I once considered him a deity in Football Manager. :)

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/calhanoglu-verso-l-addio-al-milan-juve-in-stand-by-spunta-il-liv-56002
    Intanto l'entourage del calciatore ha avuto un contatto anche col Liverpool. Le parti hanno iniziato a parlare, ma il club inglese allenato da Jurgen Klopp non ha ancora avanzato un'offerta formale per Calhanoglu. Sempre più lontano da Milano.

Translation:
    Meanwhile, the player's entourage has also had contact with Liverpool. The sides have started talking, but the English club coached by Jurgen Klopp have not yet made a formal offer for Calhanoglu. Further and further away from Milan.

He's only 27 so there's a few years left in his legs and his contract expires on June 30th, 2021.

Talisman wrote: »
    Hakan Çalhanoğlu - I once considered him a deity in Football Manager. :).............

Would his signing be dependent on Origi and/or Shaq leaving I wonder, seems as it'd be a free. Presumably if they landed him we'd not be getting a #9.

Great age to sign on a free ......... sellable ish in 2/3 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Saying we are not looking for a Gini replacements is so we are not rinsed when we look for our Gini replacement,

Saying Ox & Naby are staying is so we are not rinsed when we try to sell Ox & Naby , meaning if you want them you have o offer a good transfer fee,

Shaq, Origi & Takki for me have to go , Getting a good deal for one of OX / Naby would be fantastic ,

Saying Ox & Naby are staying is so we are not rinsed when we try to sell Ox & Naby , meaning if you want them you have o offer a good transfer fee, ............

If only things were so simple.
    Ox is unsellable IMO, as in like gone off fruit unsellable as opposed to Salah unsellable lest there be any confusion.

Saying we are not looking for a Gini replacements is so we are not rinsed when we look for our Gini replacement,

Saying Ox & Naby are staying is so we are not rinsed when we try to sell Ox & Naby , meaning if you want them you have o offer a good transfer fee,

Shaq, Origi & Takki for me have to go , Getting a good deal for one of OX / Naby would be fantastic ,
    Shaqiri and Origi are presumably leaving and with the AFCON tournament taking place next season I can't see the club rushing to offload Oxlade-Chamberlain or Minamino this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Augeo wrote: »
    If only things were so simple.
    Ox is unsellable IMO, as in like gone off fruit unsellable as opposed to Salah unsellable lest there be any confusion.

One of the hardest things in football these days is for top teams to sell unwanted players, There on huge wages & other clubs know there not wanted so just offer loan moves ,

It makes sense because if it works out then they buy them if not the parent club is the one left with them ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Konate will be confirmed in 48 hours for 36M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

All going well he could be with us for the next 10 years.

Vicxas wrote: »

Looks like Konate will be confirmed in 48 hours for 36M

Only took 12 minutes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nice to get that done so quick.

Definitely looks like it was done a while as Konate is with the French Under 21's right now getting ready for the Euro's which start on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A fully fit VVD and Konate centre back pairing would be two very big men who can also run very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good stuff....always nice to get a solid transfer in early in the window... although that deal seemed to go on nearly as long as Brexit

Great that he will be able to be somewhat settled now early and have the pre season at the club. That's a very underrated activity.

• Advertisement

£36m seems a very good price.

Advertisement