Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I mentioned it during the game last night. I fully believe all this talk about us waiting for the right player was a smokescreen for Klopp being told he is not getting midfield reinforcements this summer. It is spin. We know Klopp has shown complete reluctance to say anything negative about the spending restrictions or the owners. He also has loyalty to the players already there and doesn't want to publicly state we are in trouble for fear of the effect it would have on the players. He has to manage his relationship with the players and owners. There are some small signs though that privately he must be concerned and frustrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is the last full week now off for Liverpool as 2 games a week kick in now with Bournemouth on Saturday and Newcastle on Wednesday in the league then the Champions league starts the following mid week with then the International break after the Chelsea game on September 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I also seen Man Utd fans have lost the moral high ground on attacking buses as their fans filmed themselves attacking a Liverpool supports bus before last nights game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

midfield is an issue people have flagged for years. you simply shouldn't have Henderson and Milner in the same midfield in 2022. it's genuinely unforgivable. i don't care how loyal you are, and i don't care about what injuries you have. you play Carvalho in that situation. full stop. if you're worried that dropping Milner for the kid is going to affect morale, then that's something Milner or the players it would affect have to look at themselves about. it's the same for subbing him at halftime. he was wretched and incapable of doing things that a standard Premier League midfielder has to be able to do. you just take him off.

besides midfield, we also have an injury crisis in there. we were already relying on people staying fit in order for the midfield to be good enough this season. Thiago's injury, along with Keita being Keita, means that we're fúcked.

there was this fallacy for a long time that midfield was our weakness - that the front 3, Fabinho, Van Dijk and Alisson were the spine, and that the midfield were simply grafters. the Fabinho, prime Henderson, Gini axis suffocated teams. it was the bedrock of our CL and title winning runs. the switch to Thiago from Gini works purely because Thiago is so technically gifted. he covers that area in a different way, and can spread play like nobody else. so it works.

the fact that we have let the midfield largely age and rot is an indictment on the transfer committee, but it's also an indictment on Klopp. this is what did for him at Dortmund. his loyalty is his greatest strength, but also his greatest weakness. the obsession with being loyal to Milner has honestly cost at least 5 points.

yes, Van Dijk has been the worst version of himself so far this season. but he still stopped 2 or 3 breakaways largely on his own last night with his positioning. he is being overrun. that's not an excuse, because he should be better, but when McTominay, Eriksen and Bruno can overrun your midfield, then it can't be pinned on the backline.

yes, Diaz takes too much out of the ball, and he doesn't threaten in behind enough. but that's probably not what he was bought for either. that's Nunez and Salah's role. and anyway, if you don't have the security of a functioning midfield who can protect the ball and backline, then how much damage can you do?

there is something seriously wrong in that engine room.

Southampton will beat Utd on Saturday. i'm really not sure if we'll beat Bournemouth unless Klopp makes the big calls.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think that’s a good thing. We tend not to do so well when games are spread out, the momentum of a run of games will hopefully spark us into life! Last night was terrible to watch but this is still a good team and will come together sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Defensively we were all over the place. I'm reluctant to criticize VVD too much as all the things he did against Palace and last night he has being doing for years to great effect and left all of us in awe at his calmness! So maybe we should have a bit of perspective when it doesn't work out! That's not to say that I wasn't roaring at the TV at him last night!!

Aside from the obvious lack of depth, athleticism and energy in the midfield there are 2 big issues I have now with a while. One is when Gomez plays he unnerves everyone. He is terrified at playing the offside trap. VVD is stepping up to play offside and at the same time Gomez is tracking the runner, they are playing 2 completely different games!! When Matip or Konate are playing they are in sync with Van Dijk, Gomez is not. It is a high risk tactic but everyone needs to be on the same sheet and Gomez just doesn't seem to be able to trust himself to play it which is a big problem. The distances between himself and VVD are shocking.

The other issue I have is with TAA. I'm not going to go into his lack of defensive awareness and qualities. I have readily accepted those when offset against what he gives us going forward. My issue is that he thinks he is Kevin De Bruyne. He is not, he doesn't have to be!! He is a full back so f**k out wide and deliver in those passes/crosses that have been unreal. Maybe he is only doing as instructed but forget this coming in more centrally thing that he is doing. It is only blocking up the space and we are losing an outlet on the overlap out wide. Jesus when I see him in the centre forward position, I go absolutely mad. I think he needs a bit of a reality check before his ego goes completely out of control. Unbelievable player, one of the best attacking full back in the world, be happy with that rather than trying to become something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We transitioned from a selling club to one who keeps a winning squad together but you have to keep things fresh if you are going to do that. 1 midfielder this summer and next is all we really need, if you let it go too long you are looking at a rebuild and that brings seasons of "transition" and possibly falling out of the CL. We have a midfield of injury prone aging players, kids and Fabinho. That's it 1 single peak midfielder and he's in awful form.

I don't think we will miss out on on Top 4 but if we do, this waiting for the perfect player idea falls on its arse when you don't have CL football to sign an in demand player like Bellingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What would you guys like to see in midfield,

I know lots of talk is about creativity & Bellingham but i honestly think its legs & someone who is busy that we miss,

Id love us to get Barella this summer, i think himself Fab & Thiago would be an incredible midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It wasn't even a Liverpool supporters bus, they just thought it was.

It was a bus full of kids supporting Man United.

What calls can Klopp make?

There is a pool of 15 fit senior players, and that is including 2 teenagers & Nat Philips.

• Advertisement

We badly need athleticism and energy in there. We also need a box to box type to make runs into the opponents box. Would also like for Trent to stay the **** out of midfield. I think the whole assist thing has gone to his head and he needs to stop thinking he is a fusion of Xabi Alonso and Gerrard. He is nowhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

Functioning, nothing fancy, able to cover the space behind the full backs, defensively strong and make the quick simple passes. Atleast 22/23 years old and a great injury record.

Basically replace Gini Wijnaldum

not playing Milner and Henderson together, just because they're senior pros.

Klopp has been reluctant to start Fabinho-Hendo-Elliott together as a midfield 3 this season. He done it a couple times last season but it means Hendo is playing as a LCM and this limits him.

Klopp has also been reluctant to start Hendo & Fabinho together in the last 2 games, it's one or the other.

But he might just have to do this now, given the players available.

Can't change the defence, bar Tsimikas or Philips starting, and there is no fit attacker with a PL start available to replace Bobby.

Clearly there are fitness issues with Fabinho and Henderson. Thats why they have been sharing game time, Fab started against Palace replaced by Hendo after an hour and vice versa last night. I cant imagine Klopp thinks it is a good idea to be giving Milner so many minutes. If there are fitness issues with Fab and Hendo, what do you think Klopp should have done last night? Played both of them and risked more injuries? Play Bajcetic? Move TAA into midfield?

It won't happen but I would actually like to see us try the 4-2-3-1. Play Fab and Henderson in the 2. With Nunez currently out I would try Salah up front with Diaz, Carvalho and Elliot in the supporting 3. Trent to go back to rb and attack out wide, staying out of the middle.

Why is he reluctant? Was our no 1 midfield trio last season not Fab, Hendo & Thiago? Has he not mentioned fitness issues with both or am I dreaming that??

Looks like fitness worry if you ask me,

Strange they have replaced each other in the last two games,

Hendo wasn't as poor or as tired as Milner last night but got replaced first,

As poor as we played 70% possession at Old Trafford with that midfield 3 isn't bad ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Looking at us now i think we will get worse before we get better..

As i said last night i don't know what the plan is but this should have been a season that we go all out for the league. For once the stupid timing of the WC could actually be to our benefit. Lets be honest we needed something better in midfield. Doesn't look like its going to happen.

The owners get a lot right but its hard to see the plan here..Funds must be there ffs.

• Advertisement

it's a good point RE: fitness actually.

i don't think it's a coincidence that Klopp was not happy with the early start to the season following last season. i don't think some of them are up to speed at all, plus injuries come with lack of fitness.

Yeah I think a lot of the substitutions are predetermined by the Sports Science team now. I think no matter how the Crystal Palace and Man Utd games were going the Henderson/Fabinho substitutions were going to be made at that time. We cant afford any more long term injuries so it has to be carefully managed. Physically Milner is a machine and that is why he is getting overloaded but you can be as fit as you like but when the speed starts to go it becomes glaring obvious. I felt sorry for him last night, it was nearly cruelty to leave him on but what choice did Klopp have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I think a lot of my frustration comes from the fact that this was a highly probable situation to find ourselves in regarding midfield.

Post edited by Pepp1989 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We have fretted so much on the transition of the front three that we have largely ignored the transition of the midfield three (Henderson, Fabihino, Wijnaldum). Fabiniho has started poorly but I don't have worries about him - he will find form. Henderson is on the decline but still has a role to play, but not every week. We never replaced Wijnaldum. He was never injured. He was always super fit. We need someone like that - young, athletic, and tidy in possession.

Thiago is great and should be among the first names on the team sheet when fit, but he will miss 50% of the games every year. We know that now. I think we should just get rid of Keita at this stage. I have been one of his biggest defenders as I've always felt he would come good with a run of games. And he has been mostly good and sometimes very good when he plays. But he's just too injury prone. Ox should also be sold ASAP, and Jones probably needs to go out on loan.

Summary: We need a CM this season and another one next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A 4231 might be the way to go this season and with that I'd take Neves from Wolves he can play in a two with Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Klopp will be fun to interview on Saturday week after the Everton match if we lose….we play on Wednesday night and then 1230 on Saturday. Everton play on Tuesday night. Klopp could explode!

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's hard to see how we'd sign a player from the Premier League at this late stage, the price would be too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I missed the 2nd half last night so I'd it recorded and for my sins I decided to re-watch the entire game this morning. And yes it is worse the 2nd time around!! Robbo and Trent in particular were beyond awful in the first 30 minutes and when you watch it back, they were direct cause for at least 4 breakaway for UTD that could have lead to more goals.

One example was on the 20th minute Diaz lays the ball back to Robbo then turns Dalot to run into the space down the line making a great angle for the return pass, at the same time Milner is preempting what is happening so he makes his move forward in support of Diaz to give him an option. Robbo doesn't read any of this and miss-places a terrible drilled low pass back in field which goes straight to Bruno who now has an acre of space to work with as both Milner and Diaz are out of the game. Dalot has now also bombed forward because he could read the pass from Robbo and suddenly UTD are overrunning us from what what should have been a promising situation.

As for Trent, not as bad as the Robbo one but he failed to find either Elliot, Salah or Hendo with at least 5 simple passes just when everyone was starting to move up the pitch as a unit and we're then caught off guard and trying to back track. We can talk about the lack of midfielders, VVD poor form and Gomez's inability to play the high line until the cows come home but if our fullbacks continue with this kind of form we will continue to have problems all season.

Also, I know Milner is taking a lot of flack for his performance but what struck me was Henderson seems to have lost all ability and awareness on the ball. He was panicked and flustered anytime the ball came to him and he offered no option to build any kind of platform going forward. I wouldn't even know where Klopp starts when trying to address the issues this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Its too slow of a "2" (Fab and Neves). Klopps midfield is all about mobility, intensity etc...

We need someone with pace, physicality and technical ability in midfield, capable of playing as a 6 or 8 in our system, and unfortunately there are not many about.

Our way of dealing seems to be buying from clubs who take the gamble on the player, allowing us to see the data first. We are probably going to have to take a jump into the unknown now and make a signing where they pass the eyes test, rather than basing it on physical data available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Along with the injuries, it looks like a hangover from last years exploits. Winning two was great, but I'd say there is huge disappointment over losing the CL.

Players just look mentally jaded.

which is why refreshing the squad is desperately needed.

it's one of things Pep has over Klopp, in my opinion. he values the team function over personal sentiment. Sterling, Jesus and Zinchenko. all gone. they asked to go, and he had no problem with it, and fully knows that positions need changing up anyway. no room for sentiment, or trying to convince them for too long to stay. he was willing to let go of Aguero years before he left, until Aguero showed he could adapt.

some of the same players are being asked to go to the well far too many times and aren't capable.

Klopp is perfect for this club. but I just wish his loyalty blindspot would just go away on occasion.

Spot on the money here,

Ox must have made one or two sub appearances from Feb on last season why keep him ? why not actively try to get rid,

Klopp knows Ox, Jones & Milner are not good enough to start league games

He knows Thiago & Naby are always injured,

He knows Fab can only play as a 6 ,

He knows Hendo is can't cover for everyone else because his game is based on intensity & his age means its not possible,

We got rid of 38 goals in Mane,Origi, Taki add in Bobby who is finished for about 2 years now & replaced them with Nunez who is worse than Mane alone it just makes no sense,

It's so frustrating because you could get rid of 3 or 4 & bring in 2 and it would give the team & squad such a massive boost & freshen it up ,

Chelsea are ready to pay £60m for Gordon from Everton if this is the price tag for an average English footballer Bellingham will cost £200m now.

we don't know what Nunez is going to be.

i've no problem with Mané going. the time was right. he'd done his bit, and he deserved his move if he wanted it. the issue up front isn't so much losing Mane. it's not having Jota, and then Nunez being banned for 3 games.

also, i don't think we'd notice a lack of Mané quite as much if our midfield was functioning. last night was atrocious because Milner and Henderson were poison, and couldn't control a midfield with Scott McTominay in it. that was compounded by the fact we had one forward willing to make darts in behind. Diaz isn't that player, and we need Nunez or Jota to be that second option in behind so that Salah has some room to operate, otherwise he just gets double and triple marked, or has to receive the ball 40 yards from goal, which is pointless.

I also wouldn't say no to Sane those links a few weeks seemed strong enough.

• Advertisement

Reports online in the last hour that Keita’s injury is genuine and that there are concerns in the club that he could be out for an extended period.

There’s a surprise, the guy seems incapable of staying fit for even brief periods. I’m sick of this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wouldn't open contract talks with him, let alone make him a big offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is it his loyalty blind spot or a lack of transfer budget? I find it hard to believe that Klopp wouldn’t have bought a CM this summer if there was £50m+ available to spend.

it could be a bit of both.

i think it's quite obvious that Bellingham and Tchouameni, a la VVD, Konate, Diaz, had been picked out as the players representing the next evolution of the side in midfield, and it's a case of waiting for the time Bellingham leaves. Obviously, Tchouameni jumped to Real. Diaz came quicker in January because Spurs were sniffing, but we always wait for the right player to be available, and we don't buy for the sake of it.

i reckon Klopp is waiting for Bellingham, and i don't think he's hammering down the door of the owners demanding it be fixed. he always uses what he has unless he's desperate. i'd imagine he looked at his options and thought, with a bit of luck, Thiago can stay fit for a while, Keita might chip in, along wit Curtis and Ox, and it'd be fine. i don't think he'd have been upset with those options for the season. the problem is that every worry that he likely had, and certainly us supporters had, has come to fruition, in that they're all prone to injury, and it's happened to them all at the same time, leaving us completely exposed.

i don't think the owners are ready with the chequebook, no, but I don't think Klopp was begging for a CM this window, unless it was absolutely the right one. we as fans just want somebody in there that doesn't force us to play Milner and Henderson together, but i don't think he or the board think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

For the Sancho goal you have 36 year old milner trying to put his body on the line. Watching taa for it would make the blood boil. He looked very very lazy. Nearly walking. Could have gotten a block in no bother when Sancho turned back in. As could vvd. Taa body language was atrocious. Kind of 'not my problem'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Strange how no one seems to be in for Tielemans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Apparently Arsenal were seriously considering a move for him but were worried about his pressing abilities and intensity throughout 90 mins. So they didn't bother. Probably similar feelings from any top team considering how crucial your pressing game is now.

I'd laugh if the club signed deJong.

His crazy wages would of course stop it happening.

If it is the same player available for Bournemouth I'd like to see a 4231

------------------------Ali------------------------------

TAA-----------Gomez--------------VVD---------Robbo

-----------Hendo--------------------------Fab----------

Elliott--------------------Carvalho--------------------Diaz

-------------------------Salah-----------------------------

If it's 433 I'd wouldn't mind seeing this.

------------------------Ali------------------------------

TAA-----------Gomez--------------VVD---------Robbo

Hendo------------------Fab-----------------Carvalho 

Elliott-------------------Salah---------------------Diaz

Maybe even try Tsimikas in left mid.

I have no idea why as it goes against past history but I am optimistic a midfielder will come in before the window closes. Klopp is not happy

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How long is Konate out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Latest update from Neil Jones in the echo is Jota and Jones back at the end of the month, Matip,Thiago and Konate mid September atleast.

Its a shame we missed out on seeing Nunez up against Martinez last night ,

I think he would have caused absolute chaos for United's back line,

Bobby & Diaz always coming short for the ball made it so easy for them ,

Even Jota would have given up and extra dimension going in behind plus he has that bit of fight in him we needed

• Advertisement
Advertisement