Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's us up to 4 ex-RB club players now, that relationship playing off nicely.

Was reading about it a while with some comments from an RB coach, basically saying they train their teams to play quite a similar style, with importance on similar attributes, so when a player moves from Salzburg or Leipzig to Liverpool they don't need to adapt much to the football - only to the higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's us up to 4 ex-RB club players now, that relationship playing off nicely.

Was reading about it a while with some comments from an RB coach, basically saying they train their teams to play quite a similar style, with importance on similar attributes, so when a player moves from Salzburg or Leipzig to Liverpool they don't need to adapt much to the football - only to the higher level.

hasn't worked out for Taki yet, sad to see it but he is struggling to adapt to the new league/country/culture. Covid i am sure is a big factor

Naby for all his potential has been a bust so far, can't get fit which prevents any chance he has to get consistency.

willabur wrote: »
    hasn't worked out for Taki yet, sad to see it but he is struggling to adapt to the new league/country/culture. Covid i am sure is a big factor

Naby for all his potential has been a bust so far, can't get fit which prevents any chance he has to get consistency.

It's like that coach had said - it's about adapting to the level. The abilities of both players are pretty much bang on for what we need, so it's just if they can step up to the level. For Naby that means physically, and for Taki it's a combination of the pace of the game, and the level of pressing required. You're right for Taki, the social side is probably hard too. He at least was enough of a steal that there's no real pressure on him, no matter what he'll make back what we spent.

Still though, ultimately I think it's a good partnership - every transfer is a risk, and it seems to lower the number of risk factors a bit. (though yeah maybe I went a bit overboard on the level of positivity - that's what happens with new signings! :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Taki has scored 3 goals in the last two games for Japan. Saying that they did win 10 and 14 nil :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

plibige wrote: »

Could Trent play in midfield? Absolutely. Would it be the best use of him? No

The whole Trent to midfield thing is just bored football writers needing to fill column inches. The likes of Goal, 4-4-2, Football365 rehash this 'story' every few months when they have little else to write about. In its last iteration a few weeks back Rio Ferdinand told Football365 that Trent needs to move to Man City under Pep if he ever wants to play in midfield. Yeah good man Rio, local lad and world class right back who came up through the academy decides to turn his back on his hometown club so he can play in midfield for their biggest rival :rolleyes:

Ive never heard such sh1te in all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

£36m seems a very good price.

Big price for a player who is Mr Glass 2.0

A guy who in the last two seasons has missed 400 days through injury.

Big price for a player who is Mr Glass 2.0

A guy who in the last two seasons has missed 400 days through injury.

He had a serious year-long injury... it happens, especially at that age with a guy with those physical attributes. Will Virg be classed as Mr Glass when he comes back?

I'm sure the medical will have been extensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone think Konate will be first choice of all fit in August?

Lovely to have one issue sorted early.

And incredible we have four players ahead of the CBs who started the last game for us.

I dunno about blowing huge money on an attacker if all four stay.

Needs must makes me feel a versatile FB and CM are the priorities.

noodler wrote: »

And incredible we have four players ahead of the CBs who started the last game for us.

I'd say a huge amount will depend on how the other lads recoveries go. If everyone was fit right now, I'd say we'd be starting with VVD and Gomez, with Konate being eased in over the first few months. But with Gomez in particular still with a lot of rehab to go, it'll probably all come down to how pre-season goes, and if he hits the ground running Konate could well get the nod beside Virg.

Brilliant that all of them will be there right from the start of pre-season though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He had a serious year-long injury... it happens, especially at that age with a guy with those physical attributes. Will Virg be classed as Mr Glass when he comes back?

I'm sure the medical will have been extensive.

Hope you're right.

• Advertisement

Hope you're right.

Me too! :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Impressive signing from Liverpool.

A few months or even weeks ago the team was going through a tough time but the club remained sensible and determined to not make any rash decisions. No rushed signing of the wrong permanent CB(s) to try and boost one season. Continuing to have a more medium term approach and planning means they get a player they really want.

I know Wijnaldum is on his way but Jota, Thiago and now Konate added to a team that was so strong is very good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think he might have to be, by default.

Gomez's injury is a real nasty one. Potentially the worst injury a player can get. A few players (Robbie Brady, Hargreaves) struggled badly upon returning from the same injury they suffered. There hasn't been much sightings of him back running on a pitch yet, let alone actively training with a football. I think Klopp mentioned that he was running, but that's all so far. The season starts in 12 weeks time. He'll need that and more to get back playing. And he will probably have a few minor tweaks along his comeback trail too unfortunately. We don't know what version of Gomez will return yet.

Matip is in a similar situation. Klopp only mentioned that Matip was running on grass and not actively doing any football training. Now to be fair, when Matip generally returns from injury, he generally hits the ground running and plays like he was never missing. It's a big strength of his, if it can be called one! I think his initial injury was exasperated by being rushed back, and over worked (which was last resort as is) and so he just needed the time to recover. Hopefully he can be back for pre-season and ready to go then anyways. I would have hope he will be. But anything can happen with Matip tbf.

VVD seems to be doing some sort of football training at least, so he is that bit further ahead in his comeback. Because he missing the Euros, should have more time to train individually but also start pre-season strongly too and get back into the groove. I would think he is aiming to be starting games in August in the PL. He won't be able to play every game though, and we have to be aware of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

klopps preference will be to break him into the team slowly.
    Fab, robbo style

whether he has a choice in the matter or no is another thing. potentially disastrous if there are any setbacks for virgil in his recovery. Each of them really, I would imagine after a long time out they will be more prone to soft tissue injuries. Medical staff will be earning their corn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

klopps preference will be to break him into the team slowly.
    Fab, robbo style

whether he has a choice in the matter or no is another thing. potentially disastrous if there are any setbacks for virgil in his recovery. Each of them really, I would imagine after a long time out they will be more prone to soft tissue injuries. Medical staff will be earning their corn

That all depends on the player and how quick they adapt.

Players like Salah, Virgil, Mane, Wijnaldum are straight in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fitz* wrote: »
    I think he might have to be, by default.

Gomez's injury is a real nasty one. Potentially the worst injury a player can get. A few players (Robbie Brady, Hargreaves) struggled badly upon returning from the same injury they suffered. There hasn't been much sightings of him back running on a pitch yet, let alone actively training with a football. I think Klopp mentioned that he was running, but that's all so far. The season starts in 12 weeks time. He'll need that and more to get back playing. And he will probably have a few minor tweaks along his comeback trail too unfortunately. We don't know what version of Gomez will return yet.

Matip is in a similar situation. Klopp only mentioned that Matip was running on grass and not actively doing any football training. Now to be fair, when Matip generally returns from injury, he generally hits the ground running and plays like he was never missing. It's a big strength of his, if it can be called one! I think his initial injury was exasperated by being rushed back, and over worked (which was last resort as is) and so he just needed the time to recover. Hopefully he can be back for pre-season and ready to go then anyways. I would have hope he will be. But anything can happen with Matip tbf.

VVD seems to be doing some sort of football training at least, so he is that bit further ahead in his comeback. Because he missing the Euros, should have more time to train individually but also start pre-season strongly too and get back into the groove. I would think he is aiming to be starting games in August in the PL. He won't be able to play every game though, and we have to be aware of this.

I really worry for Joe & reckon he won't be back till November or December ,

The reason being his game revolves around his pace & agility he is not the best positionally or reading a game and as you mentioned this injury tends to take that away so I reckon he will be given longer to rebuild

I wouldn't compare him to Brady ,Brady struggled with the physical side before his injury so the injury put him at a real disadvantage ,

Matip always come in and looks great because his positionally game & reading of what is happing is second to none, He plays the game in his head more than with hi body if that makes sense ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well we can see him play next Monday in the Under 21 Euro's against the Dutch.

Well he just became my new favorite player with this!

https://twitter.com/IbrahimaKonate_/status/1398260798506557447?s=20

Well we can see him play next Monday in the Under 21 Euro's against the Dutch.

Was just looking through the schedule of that - mad stuff! They squeezed in a whole group stage back in the March international window, took two months off, and now going back to finish off the knockouts.

Just came across this breakdown of our season on Reddit.

The goals really dried up in the December to March period. Managed to average 0.8 goals per game!!

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    .......... Managed to average 0.8 goals per game!!

Iirc we still had plenty possession and chances though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The goals really dried up in the December to March period. Managed to average 0.8 goals per game!!

Relagation form for 14 games and came 3rd, crazy season.

Augeo wrote: »
    Iirc we still had plenty possession and chances though.

Yea shown on the table. Average of 14.6 shots per game in that spell. We just couldn't finish anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, I do. Although I wouldn't put it past Matip to be the starter if he's still around.

Gomez was poor before his last injury, and we've no idea if he'll even be half the player he was.

I think the optimism around him is a bit mental (not so much here), with regards to him still being the main starter alongside Van Dijk. If he ends up like Ox's last few years he'll probably be doing well.

The severity of the injuries to the 3 CBs really leave a lot of grey area tbh. We have no idea even how Van Dijk will come back, although I think his physique, ability, and reading of the game should still allow him to perform at a really high level, even if he loses some of his athleticism.

Wouldn't be surprised if the club keep all of Philips, Davies, & Matip to add to the Konate, VVD and Gomez tbh. Might be a case of one of Davies or Matip being moved on late in the window once they gauge the recovery of Gomez and VVD.

Before loans or sales the squad now has 8 center backs VVD, Matip, Gomez, Phillips, Williams, Davies, Konate & van den Berg.

Williams, van den Berg will probably head out on loan.

Will we really keep 6 center backs in the squad for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wouldn't be surprised if we hang on to all our CBs until January.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see our primary CB partnership in the first half of the season to be Phillips and Konaté.

There's every chance one or all of the three injured lads either won't be fit, or will pick up niggles before they get themselves back to match fitness, so I'd be surprised to see Klopp be too quick to start selling lads or sending them on loan.

Obviously he'll know himself what state they're in, and I'd be hopeful that Van Dijk at least is either ready or close to it by the start of the season, but given how little we've heard from the other 2, and their tendency to get injured anyway, I think there'll be plenty of opportunities for at least two of Davies, Phillips and Williams.

We've shown that we can defend as a team fairly resolutely. Even when we were ****e, our defence was fairly solid last season. Absolutely no call for rushing anyone back. We want 3 top class CBs available for the PL run in and the CL knockout stages first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I'd say Davies will be sold or loan to sell agreement of some sort. And we'll go into next season with the 5. Which to be fair probably is the right amount, considering Matip and Gomez injury records

I can see Davies staying as we will need homegrown players.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Relagation form for 14 games and came 3rd, crazy season.

Such a crazy season - title winning form for the beginning and end, and relegation form for the bit in between. At least whatever we're doing, we're all in on it!

On the CB's - I was mentioning before that it's a good sign for our transfer business that we've gone for high quality guy for a position we have a bit of depth in, where we could easily have gone for someone half the price and been fine.

The pessimistic side of this thought is if the club are worried about Gomez' recovery, and saw the need to bring in a starter rather than just adding depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In the 2nd 14 match period, City won all 14. They got 42/42 points, we got 9/42.

It was one of the craziest stretch of matches that I remember as a Liverpool fan, and I'm supporting them for over 40 years. Match in, match out, we almost always had far more possession and far more shots, but lost so many matches 1-0. Mental too how we went for years without losing at home to losing 6 in a row.

I still believe Klopp losing his mother and Ali losing is father had a huge effect on everyone during that period.

As much as they said the could departmentalize it the only real outlet outside their families was training and being around the club due to lockdown.

25/30 people who for a few years together had continuous focus to be the best and then were hit by real life loss that focus was bound to be knocked with what was happening with the personal life's of their friends and colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I still believe Klopp losing his mother and Ali losing is father had a huge effect on everyone during that period.

As much as they said the could departmentalize it the only real outlet outside their families was training and being around the club due to lockdown.

25/30 people who for a few years together had continuous focus to be the best and then were hit by real life loss that focus was bound to be knocked with what was happening with the personal life's of their friends and colleagues.

Hopefully Jurgen and Ali can mourn in peace now after the mixed season we have all had, obviously covid and the like played a huge part...

Hopefully a nice break for Sadio also after having covid and a season of him not having anyone family wise around him should ignite his shooting boots again, I think a huge part of him missing targets lately are the fact he is a single man and he has not got much family over in Liverpool with him... (due to covid)

Fingers crossed then.
    Konate is built like Van Dijk, plays like Matip and can probably keep up with Gomez in a 100m race. If he's over his injuries, he's a bargain.

https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/status/1398277349540499461?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,673 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That middle stretch was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He can be rash but at 22 that can be coached out of him ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'll admit I just don't get it. Grand and all to take a punt on someone with a dodgy record but when you already have 3 CBs battling issues, and serious issues at that, it seems like a huge gamble.

I hope I'm wrong and look like an idiot this time next year, but it's hard to be confident. I also hope he's genuinely Klopp's number 1 choice, if that's the case then God speed and bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I kind of wish we had done some deal with Schalke for Kabak, I know people say he's not got the pace for CB in the PL but I thought he was decent. Maybe a player swap or another loan type deal? I know Konate is coming in but I don't have huge faith in Matip or Gomez staying injury free. Puts it down to VVD, Konate and Phillips really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I kind of wish we had done some deal with Schalke for Kabak, I know people say he's not got the pace for CB in the PL but I thought he was decent. Maybe a player swap or another loan type deal? I know Konate is coming in but I don't have huge faith in Matip or Gomez staying injury free. Puts it down to VVD, Konate and Phillips really.

Ideally I'd like us to have signed Kabak in addition to Konate and sold Matip, but it'd be a minimum net £10m outlay (likely more, I doubt Matip has much value given his age and injury record) that the club probably couldn't justify at this time.

In terms of a swap or part-ex, Schalke got relegated so anyone we want rid of probably wouldn't go there and they mightn't be able to afford to pay them anyway.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like us to have signed Kabak in addition to Konate and sold Matip, but it'd be a minimum net £10m outlay (likely more, I doubt Matip has much value given his age and injury record) that the club probably couldn't justify at this time.

In terms of a swap or part-ex, Schalke got relegated so anyone we want rid of probably wouldn't go there and they mightn't be able to afford to pay them anyway.

True enough - the only swap that would have actually made sense is Phillips, who's already done well in the second division there. But he's progressed beyond that now.

If we had silly money, Kabak would be well worth buying just to develop and sell even. But I guess under the circumstances that's not really too viable an option. Whatever money we have probably needs to be spent on lads that'll be closer to first team opportunities with everyone fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I know what you're saying about the injuries but 5 top level centre backs just doesn't work. The fifth guy doesn't develop, he either rots or gets sent on loan like grugic.

Philips may fit that 5th position because he developed in the club but if he leaves then Williams would fit that role.
    If they really liked kabak then the only way to keep him is get rid of another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Don't know much about Konate but I love a marauding CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

For the PL and CL it will be a mix of VVD, Konate, Gomez, Matip. I think based on Gomez's injury record he will be behind Konate.

I think for the domestic cups it will be Phillips, Davies and Matip.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    For the PL and CL it will be a mix of VVD, Konate, Gomez, Matip. I think based on Gomez's injury record he will be behind Konate.

I think for the domestic cups it will be Phillips, Davies and Matip.

It's really nice to not have to rely on Gomez after this injury anyway... he can comfortably (in theory) be left out to fully properly recover over the next six months to give him the best chance of coming back. Would have been awful to be in a situation where he was needed, and shuffled in when not yet 100% - like happened with Matip this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I know what you're saying about the injuries but 5 top level centre backs just doesn't work. The fifth guy doesn't develop, he either rots or gets sent on loan like grugic.

Philips may fit that 5th position because he developed in the club but if he leaves then Williams would fit that role.
    If they really liked kabak then the only way to keep him is get rid of another.

Especially when Liverpool never deviate from playing a back 4. The only time you'll see Klopp playing 3 CBs is for the last 5 mins to see out a game and is rare enough.

Clubs like Chelsea & Arsenal actively play 3 CBs every week so would need at least 5 CBs in their squad and while Man City & Man Utd sometimes do play 3 CBs in games, they can afford to play Tuanzabe, Phil Jones & Ake etc to hang around for the odd game.

Chelsea actually did this type of signing last summer just because they could. They brought in Malang Sarr on a free transfer, and loaned him out instantly. They probably have no intention of using him for a few years, if at all, but can afford to pay him in order to sell him off for a profit in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's really nice to not have to rely on Gomez after this injury anyway... he can comfortably (in theory) be left out to fully properly recover over the next six months to give him the best chance of coming back. Would have been awful to be in a situation where he was needed, and shuffled in when not yet 100% - like happened with Matip this year.

Given his age he should really take the proper time to recover from this to give himself the best chance of a long career.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I don't think people are thinking about this issue right. If you look at the problem as "number of games" as opposed to players it makes a lot more sense.

Let's not forget that Klopp often played Van Dijk in FA Cup and league Cup games that we all wish he didn't.

In theory with the way he is Matip has 20-25 games in him in a season. Gomez slightly more. So even if Van Dijk played 45 games (mostly champions league and Premier league as we would all want), that still leaves room for two players to play 20+ a season plus sub appearances. Once you factor in injuries on top it makes a lot of sense to have 5 first team centre backs.

As good as Fabinho is at centre back, we lose a lot in midfield when he is back there, so if that means having 5 options so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Kabak just didn't have the pace to play for us,could be a good defender for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Kabak just didn't have the pace to play for us,could be a good defender for someone.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Southampton, Tottenham, Leicester or West Ham try to sign him.

Kabak is a right Leicester or Dortmund signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I would have thought to keep Kabak and Nat. Send one out on loan with the option to call them back in January if things are dicey with injuries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement