Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

If anything I think the toll from last season will have been emotional rather than physical.

• Diaz played 54 games last season (3,963 minutes according to Transfermarkt)
    • Salah played 51 games (4,014 minutes)

There's not a huge difference in those numbers but Salah's contribution level has been off since his return from the AFCON tournament in February.

Diaz looked energized when he showed up on July 4th for the first day of pre-season training. He was obviously excited to be back, the senior players didn't have that same energy. Henderson spoke about how it was hard to believe that it had only been 5 weeks since the previous season had finished but it was time to pick themselves up from the disappointment of how it had ended and prepare to do it again. That is part of the reason why it was important to bring in a new player to freshen up the midfield, it would have provided a new energy to the group for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s based on our midfield. Thiago is class but will only be available for maybe 50 or 60% of the matches and Hendo and Milner aren’t good enough now. But great to get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Watched it there again on MOTD on record.

Just as satisfying as last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Anyone else noticed that Newcastle were booed off the pitch last night by the Anfield crowd? First time I've ever heard that there, not even for United.

It's standard stuff to boo the opposition as they come on, but not when they're heading off. Their time-wasting would make Simeone blush so was earned I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I've genuinely never seen that many players with cramp.

Absolutely delighted with the last minute winner too.

I wished the interviewer had asked Howe if his players are unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Goal: Carvalho

Assist: Cramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wish someone asked him why his goalkeeper needed to take panadol after 2 minutes played. And did they affect his performance, did they stop his arms working for the 2nd goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Great way to win, fair play to Andre Marriner, you'd have to sympathise with the Refs. They clearly know what teams are up to but if a player goes down clutching their head, knee, pinky toe, ponytail, what choice do they have? They cant ignore it by the letter of the law even though they know what is happening. The only thing they can do is to add on a fair chunk of extra time. Not easy to go as far beyond the allocated time as he did but it was only fair. Absolutely delighted that Newcastle got their comeuppance!!

As far the win is concerned, we all hope it will kickstart our season but something just doesnt feel right. We are all pinning our hopes on a new midfielder (which is badly needed) but I think it goes beyond that. Our defence is all over the place, they look tired and leggy. I couldnt believe what I was seeing for Isak disallowed goal. Robertson needed to pay to get back into the ground such was the ferocity in which he fell for the drag back. One of Real Madrid's new training ground mannequins would have put up more resistance than Gomez. Trent was probably standing centre forward and Virgil was resisting the urge to sprint for fear it might make him look flustered. I know last year took its toll both physically and mentally but come on lads, this isnt good enough. Even Alisson cant bail them out at this stage. The 2 changes at full back improved us greatly but the Trent & Robbo know that they are not going to be replaced by them. Massive competition is needed for them both.

Elliott was brilliant, really hope his upward progrssion continues. He will be a big player for us. Also I have to mention Diaz, when everyone around him was starting to accept defeat (I know it was a draw but none the less) he kept the head up and the fight strong. A real leader who was everywhere in the last few mins.

Di Marzio is very reliable.

Liverpool asking for Arthur on loan from Juve. Was previously at Barca, where he looked good if memory serves me correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

LFC going for Arthur Melo on loan from Juve, how has he done there?

Arthur is a good passer of the ball, and once missed a game for Barcelona because he caught a STD.

Sounds like he will be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Must say credit to mariner for the extra time he played, might put an end to the time wasting but I'm sure it will be worse on Saturday. TAA getting hooked for milner might be the kick up the a$$ he needs was very poor.

Think hendo has been playing within himself and has been possibly carrying a knock but he put the team first (rightly or wrongly up for debate)

It's a sad state of affairs when you rely on two unproven but eager kids to boss the midfield in elliot and carvalho.

I think milner for hendo for weekend and maybe matip for Gomez, can't see Nunez starting. Jones for a cameo off the bench to build up match fitness.. couple of hard ties coming up but badly need a workhorse for midfield.

On the booing last night fully deserved hate that carry on but we won so enough said.

Thought klopp looked like a man under serious pressure last night think there is more going on than meets the eye in background, players just don't look to be on it at the moment

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would Juventus loan him out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arthur is a good addition if it happens. He's mobile and a good passer.

Pressure to hit the ground running or we'll be relying on Elliot and Carvalho too much, and it will catch up to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

September Games

Hope it ain't a loan to buy as Juve know we have form with kablak. Has only managed around 20 games each season for Juve so doesn't inspire alot of confidence but not seen much of him so won't pass judgement until I see him play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Glad to see we're signing a midfielder, but the main quality we should've been looking for is availability, and Artur doesn't offer that at all.

He's a tidy player when he is fit though. I'm still half expecting him to do a Keita and miss all the same games as Thiago, the three of them might well synchronise their injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't follow Serie A closely so could be wrong, but Arthur is 26 and he gets regular appearances for them, I don't see why Juventus would loan him out if the end goal wasn't to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

He was very highly rated at Barca, and then involved in that Pjanic deal which seemed to be financially driven more than anything else.

Doesn't seem to have played for Juve at all in the first 4 matches of the year.

This sounds like a Thiago-esque deal where we get someone who is technically very good, on high wages and gets injured a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I wonder if Henderson didn't get injured would anything have happened.

Feels like such a panic buy but we need bodies.

Aston Villa are saying their guy is not for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great result last night and great way to win it, even though the performance wasn't great. At the moment it's about picking up the wins whatever way they come and hope to build some momentum until the injuries subside a bit. The main problem is the midfield, both Fabinho and Henderson look to have fitness issues since the beginning of the season, but, have had to play due to the limited midfield options.

Henderson looks like he'll be out the next day and probably a few more matches, so Milner will likely come in against Everton, probably not a bad match for Milner to start as his combative style will be needed against Everton. TAA needs to take responsibility for his defensive duties, teams are now targeting his side and he seems to have been at fault or have had some responsibility for most goals scored against us recently. The midfield at the moment aren't able to cover for him and Gomez is barely able to do his own job, let alone cover for TAA, maybe Matip coming back will help cover TAA, but, he really does need to improve his defending.

I don't know much about Melo, but, from what I've read he's injury prone, so, should feel right at home with us. He didn't play much for Juventus in the last season, apparently they used him in the wrong position, he was highly rated before joining Barca but, didn't really do it there, maybe Klopp can get the best out of him, that's if we do sign him. You'd have to wonder why they couldn't have done this deal a few weeks ago, hopefully he does well with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Has anybody been watching that the documentary on the Crystal Palace academy?

The level of detail that goes into discussing the progress of players etc. and future potential.

I find it hard to believe that Liverpool can't put a list of 10+ players (midfielders) to move for to challenge for first team starting spots if this is the level of detail put in at Palace for youth team players alone. Let alone players that cost millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think it's panic transaction. It's a stop gap until Bellingham comes next year.

• Advertisement

Just been reading up on melo, has a extensive injury record, does not bode well when you factor in the intensity of the league versus Italy and spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm not sure, Diaz came half way through his season with Porto and played as many if not more than the first 11 yesterday. But like I said, it doesn't matter who we add to the middle if all our top players continue on their current streak. We need VVD, Trent, Robbo, Fab, Thiago (when available), Hendo and Salah to up it big time...both full backs have been particularly awful so far and have given up huge chances to ever opposition we have played with carless mis placed passes into dangerous areas against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I keep hearing this but it doesn't make sense to me. Let's assume we can even get Bellingham (considering who else will be after him and no doubt will pay him more i dont think this is as much of a give as people are thinking) we need another midfielder regardless.

Next season we will have Milner, Ox gone, Henderson is clearly on the decline, Thiago is amazing but will miss 30/40% of games with injury. Fabinho has his own injury issues and has struggled with form lately. Keita - who knows, unfortunately he's never fulfilled on his promise. Then we've the two youngsters who are both gems but they need time.

Bottom line is we need another decent midfielder now and again next season (hopefully Bellingham).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's a pretty good player, tidy passer, I was surprised Barcelona ever sold him but they had to balance the books. Really faded at Juve, he's had one bad injury, lots of knocks then but it's an interesting signing.

Actually happy enough with this at such a late stage, big upside, experienced player we can rotate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Advertisement

Melo is a strange one, I'd always keep an eye on Juve as they were my Italian team from back in the 90's when that was a thing 😆 and I don't think too many Juve fans will be upset by him leaving!! Anytime he tried to put a run of games together he got injured (a bit like Kieta for us)! I don't think he even make a dozen starts between all competitions last year....but there's a tidy player in there if we can get him fit, he's not Thiago levels of tidy but could do a job in certain games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He had so much protentional

But injury have killed him

Juve fans happy he is leaving by all accounts, doesn't press, injured doesn't look for the forward pass etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a loan signing. What more evidence of a stop gap do you need?

As for Bellingham, i think it's just a matter of time and I'd say agreements are in place already, it's just that Dortmund can't sell.

Why do people think that Liverpool can't pay good wages or make large signings when they have done so consistently in Klopp's time.

Unlike United, they don't just go out and buy a body, who is flavour of the month, for exorbitant fees without a strategy. They wait for the right player and splash out. Signing of van Dijk is a good example. Could have gone anywhere and got higher wages, but wanted to come to Liverpool.

I'm sure other midfielders will be signed as well. As for injuries it's all part of the game, other clubs have this issue too, and strength in depth is key so I'm sure Milner and Ox will be replaced next season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This isn’t the first incident including Arthur and his car collection however, as he is reported to have crashed his car whilst mildly over the limit in Spain, having been breathalysed after a crash by Catalan police back in August 2020 around 4AM one morning.

Melo seems to be injured a lot because of crashing cars, maybe if we get him a bus pass he'll be grand. I love how the report describes him as being mildly over the drink driving limit as if it's not that bad so.Happy enough if we get this as a loan deal and see how it works out.

I wouldn't say he is a side passing merchant to be fair to him, he's actually quite good on the ball and plays with his head up but injuries definitely have derailed him...I'm not even sure if he's fit now to be honest, he got injured at the end of last season and didn't feature in any preseason games and hasn't made the bench so far in Seria A this season! He won't be a like to like pressing monster alla Hendo and Milner in their prime so unless he's going to used to rotate Thiago when he gets back fit I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I can see Milner signing on for another year, and would gladly see him do so.

He knows he can't play every week and doesn't expect to. There aren't many players available who can be as good as him to see out the lat 8/10 mins of a game.

He's a fantastic pro and all round nice guy. You couldn't wish for a better role model to have around the training ground with Elliot and Carvalho.

If he started 2/3 cup games and came off the bench 8/10 times he'd be a good addition to next year's squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I love Milner but no its time to take the club out of the bag,

You know that club you cant really use but because its there , and because its there you don't bother getting a new club , ,

Let Hendo be the new Milner and lets up grade,

Next summer we need 3 new CM ( Milner,Naby,Ox gone ) and another attacker ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Doesn't look like an improvement in terms of creativity,like for like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm happy Milner is there as an option.

To fill in at RB, to come on and close games down, whatever.

Him having to start with Hendo and Elliott is not Milner's fault and it was never the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Were we not linked to Artur before he joined Barca?

Is Harvey Elliott the best Liverpool player so far this season? I think he could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No thinking about it. He's been head and shoulders our best player so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks like Aston Villa have a new midfielder. I wonder is Douglas Luiz off now. Arsenal seem to be the favourite but should we try a tactical gazump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This would always be the problem looking for someone this late, you are limited in who is available and who you can get. If the right player was available in the last week they would have been snapped up earlier, so whichever player you are looking at will be a compromise of sorts. So f we are just looking for a midfielder to come in to help with the current injury crises, it is going to be someone that will most likely not be needed at the end of the season and will only be needed for a short time, hopefully.

While I get your thoughts a midfielder was identified as klopp has said but we missed out, touchamelli or whatever his name is.. it's been glaring for 2 seasons we needed a centre mid and if we missed out on one we should have had 2/3 backups. Don't get the Bellingham hype from what I have seen either. Fsg obviously decided to splurge on Nunez instead.

Too much to ask two rookies to plug the gap, I know it's been discussed but wonder would bobby be used as a amf with Nunez and jota back soon..

With Ramsay back in training can see him getting game time and would not be surprised to see Trent in midfield for the odd game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I remember a time we had no Brazilian's, lately it seems like every player we are linked with or sign is Brazilian, just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I don't really get why everyone is so obsessed with Trent midfield. I am far from convinced that he would be an addition there. He would have even less time and space on the ball than he does now. His tackling, pressing and willingness to run isnt exactly his strengths at the minute. I could see the game bypass him pretty easily in there.

I think all this talk actually gives him an out from improving his skills as a full back. He should be focusing on becoming the best full back in the world not trying to convert him into a midfielder as an excure for his flaws.

And I 100% get that but his defending has always been suspect just very obvious now with pressure in midfield and hendo not having the legs, we are always targeted down that side think a break from the team may do him no harm, alot of miles in this legs. I know klopp likes a tight not squad but way we play we need depth for rotation, only so many times you can go to the well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That would require spending money so not gonna happen.

Advertisement