Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Give him a chance, a month ago most of the midfield were not injured, slight change in circumstances

Ah hear, we didn’t pay a hundred million for him and tie him to a 5 yr contract, in the last minute of the window. If he works out, great, if he doesn’t, put him in a box and post back to Turin in June. The Juve move didn’t work out so he has something to prove, so will be motivated to give it his all. Unless the guy spends long periods out injured, I see it as a (relatively) free swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Arthur when fit has always been a very good player,

He did well to being with at Barcelona , then didn't he have a problem with Messi , remember it boiled over in a Brazil v Argentina game , & then Messi had Suarez & co on his side and it spelled the end of Arthur, If you go back to his transfer to Juventus everyone was shocked by it as it didn't make sense footballing wise for Barcelona it was just to keep the main lads happy,

Juventus hasn't gone well but it hasn't gone well for a loads of goods players recently look at the two boys now doing well at Spurs & Delight ,

It won't happen but on Saturday id lot see

..............Fab.......Arthur

Salah........Bobby ..........Diaz

................Nunez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The jury is very much out on Arthur....by all accounts Barca were relieved to dump him off to Juve, and Juve equally happy to move him onto Anfield.

Hopefully he finds his mojo....Alison and co. may lead him towards the light so to speak 🙏🙏🙏

Just remember Everton will have Maupay making his debut,

What is it with them and unlikable players ,he's bound to score isn't he

I know tend to moan about things but one thing really annoyed me the last few days ,

I keep seeing the below picture on social media of Elliot & Carvalho celebrating making a gun gesture,

After last weeks events in Liverpool someone needs to have a word with them and tell them to knock it on the head,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For someone so easily annoyed by literally everything, you spend way too much time on social media seeking it all out.

Turn off the computer and you might cheer up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Apparently that has always been Fabio celebration and Harvey was just copying it. They're kids celebrating a last second goal.

Anyway our recruitment team have done some great business over the years but those 2 lads could turn out to be the best. What they cost like 10m for both? Elliott breaks his leg and has just picked up where he left off last season, people forget he was probably our best player last season before the injury too.

I sat up the first time I saw him kick a ball for us, you just knew then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

How in the Lords name would you not have Harvey Elliott starting tomorrow??!!

Not sure the Derby is the game to blood Arthur so despite he detractors I would definitely have Milner in there from the start. Everton will try and stamp a physical authority on this game from the start, Jimmy wont let that happen.

Simply because id change the shape ,& id keep Elliot fresh for the Champion's league game ,

If its 4 3 3 , then Elliot in for Bobby

Lets not forget he is just a kid and back for ma serious injury , I wouldn't throw to much on his holders to soon , Didn't he not train last week for a day because of a knock

I love Millie but lets not start him in Prem games its 2022, its time to move on ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i love Gerrard.

but he's been a shambles at Villa.

Falling out with team members, weird tactics, blaming his team post-match, spending a small fortune.

i'd love him to get to the level where could take over Liverpool, but he's nowhere near it. in fact, I wouldn't give him another Prem job the way he's going. out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I'd say losing Beale as coach has shown him up. He was probably the brains behind the operation at Rangers and beginning at Villa.

Call me a traditionalist or old fashioned but Everton in the League is greater than first round of Champions League Group Stages.

Its been 8 months since he came back from his injury, thats longer than he was actually out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Everton match way more important than champions league game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Asked for an update on the skipper’s fitness at his pre-Everton press conference on Friday, Jürgen Klopp said: “Nothing yet. We are still waiting for the result, to be honest. It was now only 12.30 or so; I asked before I came here and [we] didn’t get a result yet.

“He is definitely out, he is injured, but the extent I don’t know.”

Jota is likely to be available for Saturday’s trip to Goodison Park, though, with Klopp set to make a call on how to use the Portugal forward after an extended spell on the sidelines.

“Diogo probably will be in as well, he trained yesterday with the team first time. He will train today,” said the boss.

“I have to make a decision, does it make sense that we involve him already or not? But if, it is the first time we have five attackers – sounds like Christmas!”

The Reds have added to their midfield ranks with the loan signing of Arthur Melo from Juventus, with that deal completed on transfer deadline day.

Klopp explained that the new No.29 is not expected to be eligible to play until next week’s Champions League clash with Napoli, however.

“My information is it will not happen until tomorrow, the international clearance. We all hope he will be fine for Napoli,” he said.

Klopp also provided the latest timeframes on Liverpool’s other injury absentees, including Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Calvin Ramsay, Thiago Alcantara and Ibrahima Konate.

“It’s a muscle injury [for Keita],” he said. “For him a muscle injury, Ox is a muscle injury and they will be out for a while. Hendo, we don’t know yet.

“Calvin Ramsay is still out but really getting closer and closer. For him it was something with his back, something to do with age and growing and these kind of things. He didn’t train now properly with us, but he gets closer.

“Thiago is the closest from all [of them]. I think the start of the week, next week, he will be in team training. Ibou, in and around the international break he will be back in training.”

No Naby,Hendo , Thaigo , Arthur tomorrow,

So Fab, Milner, Elliot it is, I don't like that midfield at all ,

• Advertisement

Against Everton... be surprised if it wasn't more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm sure there are some fans that will say he is to emotional to be a Liverpool player.

Sounds like our midfield for the next few weeks will be made up of three from Fabinho, Elliott, Milner, Jones, Arthur and Carvalho, with Thiago joining that list in a couple of weeks hopefully, and it appears that Naby, Ox and Hendo may all be out for a while.

Basically, if Fabinho picks up an injury, we’re utterly f**ked because we have no fit cover for his position until Hendo is back. It means that ideally you’d wrap Fab in cotton wool until that happens, but we can’t as there’s nobody in the squad to sub in for him. Milner isn’t viable as a holding midfielder, it should go without saying.

The idea of Matip getting a game at number 6 is sounding slightly less ridiculous all of a sudden.

I’d like to believe those are his first words in English. And it’s the only English he needs for tomorrow as well. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Arthur is fit isn't he? Why would we be putting Matip in at 6 if Arthur is available?

The club should be looking to get Ox & Naby fit so they can sell them in the January window and bring in a midfielder then and maybe look to get free agent deals done.

Teleimans, Lemar, Luiz, Lamier, Aouar, Dahoud, Cantwell, Raboit, MacAllister, Lerma are just some of the midfielers who are free agents next summer.

• Advertisement

Thiago is expected back in team training on Monday,

I just hope we take out time with him , hammy's reoccur way to often ,

By all accounts, he’s poor as a 6. We didn’t sign him to play as a 6 either. But yeah, I guess he could fill in if we’re stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

You could be right. I would have assumed that Arthur is first choice sub for Fabinho. Hopefully Fabinho never gets injured so we don't have to find out!

Love the passion of Nunez but he really needs to be careful especially tomorrow,

Yera Mina is one of the biggest wind up merchants in football is he fit ? the derby can get really emotional at times out there,

If he scores early he will be fine ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Isn’t Mina out with an ankle ligament injury until October? I remember reading that somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Surely be to God Nunez will be on best behaviour when back in the team.

Just can't see him reacting to any provocation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id not touch tielmans ,hes not a top level player,not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

I can see Bobby keeping his place in the starting lineup tomorrow and Nunez on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

See alot online of "Arthur can't be great if Juve are loaning him out". Juve absolutely stockpile players, so many players are available for loan every window. I mean Spurs were able to loan Bentancur and Kuluveski from them, Chelsea got Zakaria. Failing at Juve isn't really a mark against him, in the right coaching environment he could be a new player.

Trent does not look a happy camper, 10 min 28.

Hopefully he can use that to get back to doing what he does best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Getting subbed for generally playing rubbish and thinking his guaranteed spot on the first team might be in jeopardy, could be the kick in the ass he needs to get back to good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Trent looked completely disinterested in every clip in that video. He seems to have become very complacent altogether if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Cantwell and Mac allister from that list bif of young legs and risk free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

When I watch him lately and even towards end of last season the consistent thought I have of him is of disinterested arrogance. Gives the impression that only a goal or assist or one of his many hero pass attempts coming off brings him any joy. In the rest of his play there is a casualness to him I don't like to see in any player. It feels like he has been a factor in many of the goals we have conceded over the last while and many of them have come from him giving away possession cheaply when we are out of position. What further frustrates me is he never seems to react to it. If we concede from it you don't even get a shrug of the shoulders. Suggests to me a lack of responsibility from him. He generally gets a free pass from the media and English ex-pros who would rather drool over a pass he made in the game while ignoring everything else.

Also on the tactical side of things I think his licence to hang around inside almost as an auxillary midfielder is having a detrimental effect on Salah's game since he tends to be occupying the space Salah likes to come back inside into and also Salah is being forced to play wider and further away from the box to provide some width that Trent isn't there to provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It feels a bit pointless to suggest any formation other than what we know we'll get - but with the midfield issues, and our defensive frailty over the past few months, is there anything at all to be said for a bit of a shake up?

--------------Alisson

------Gomez--Matip--VVD

Trent---Fabinho---Elliott--Robertson

------Salah--Nunez--Diaz

(Probably a hair too soon for Matip, but it sounds like he'll be back soon. Maybe even Konate in for him, for pretty incredible recovery pace across all 3 CBs. Could see RCB suiting Gomez well, and gives a bit of security for Trent too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I was looking at a Tifo video about Haalands goals and City's shape. And you could see they had two players very wide of Haaland. Very similar position to how Salah has been playing. Spread the defence, and then there is a bit of space for a through ball from deep to set the CF off running.

I wonder if this is all very similar to how we are setting up. Wide players who can cross or cut inside, Salah is a winger as he says himself ;), and someone like Trent cutting in and playing balls from the middle.

I wouldn't be droping Bobby at the moment he really is the in form forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It doesn't make sense to me to have our most dangerous attacker playing out wide to send in crosses. Many people have been commenting on how quiet Salah has been this season and I think it is largely down to him taking up wider positions in the buildup. It has little to do with form. If he was missing chances or receiving possession in dangerous positions only for him to mess up then you could point to his form. He isn't even the one delivering a cross most of the time, he just lays it off. I miss the days when we had 2 pacy attackers making runs in behind and 2 fullbacks that could get beyond the defensive line on the overlap to deliver dangerous crosses and cutbacks. We have no penetration on either wing now and have a tendency to work possession back into central areas where it tends to be crowded or deliver cross from deeper wide areas which are easier to defend against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think if everyone and their dog was telling you that you are a worthless defender, you would start feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders as well. I don't think we should kid ourselves that the players live in a isolated bubble and do not see the criticism from every pundit about his defending.

Once we start getting our key midfielders back then he will start looking better as well. I found Carvalho doing the interview while sending a message or something on his phone interesting. I can imagine a few pundits who would be spitting their beer out that he was playing with his phone while giving the interview. But we live in a new era I guess, I know his generation and how they interact with the world will fly over my head, I can only imagine for someone that was relevant in the 90's as a player it would be even more alien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I couldn't agree more with everything you said about Trent. It stinks of a young player who has won everything possible in the game and has lost his hunger for the fight. If that's true I don't know what can be done to get that back short of a move to another club perhaps which is obviously not something that would benefit us. And before I have to suffer years of someone bringing up how "1 poster even said we should sell Trent", I'm not saying that.

Now that I think of it maybe it was finally ending the 30 year wait for a title and not even being able to celebrate it cos of Covid. I know that I have mostly lost interest in football since that happened, I only watch our games now and don't even play FF anymore after 15 years playing cos there is just a feeling inside me now that what's the point? If we do win the title it will just be spoiled again anyway somehow. Like I was planning for about a decade with my mates what we were gonna do when we finally won a title and then it was just ripped away in the cruelest manner. I almost wish we hadn't won the title in 2020 just so I could have actually gone to Liverpool for the parade and everything like I had planned for so many years...I imagine for someone like Trent who grew up in the area and is living his dream that might be even harder to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The only form he is in is terrible form. I have missed just one game and haven't seen anything of note from him. Lots of slow, ponderous movements, suspect positioning and failed passes/shots.

However, in that one game, he did apparently manage to remember how to play the game, which I guess skews the stats to make it appear otherwise!

Konate due back around the international break so probably back for the Brighton game on the 1st of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Yeah, not saying it's effective but the parallels are there and could explain why he is so wide.

Hopefully we find a blend of play styles that works for the whole squad instead of shoehorning in a centre forward!

Advertisement