Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Awful result. Some start to the season this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a bad result at Everton in isolation. We’ve often drawn there down the years. Problem is the 7 points dropped in the first three games. Leaves us chasing points to keep up.

Forget about City. They will walk the league. 9 points behind Arsenal though if they win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Man of The Match

De Wud Wurk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

To be fair.....9 corners and we didn't give a goal to the opposition.

That's good going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

When you're playing badly, you need a bit of luck.

Pickford worldie is the opposite. As are too many shots going down his throat.

Diaz is a problem. I love him, but he's a problem in attack. Holds the ball far too long all of the time. Hasn't a clue how to put his fullback in. Can't pick out a player.

Milner was a huge problem at RB. Altered all the momentum.

A poor point. Everton are there for the taking for anyone on their game.

CL or bust this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool weren't bad there, especially in the second half. Another day and we win that 2-0. Saying that, Everton ballsed up two breaks and could have scored as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair a few of them did try to injure with elbows and high studs up tackles.

VVD was lucky himself not to get more than a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Totally agree but it is Klopp's weakness. Player loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not great, not bad. Mo’s form is a worry. Gomez playing very well. The substitutions of the full backs was weird and lead to 15 mins of Everton pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Insane match to end 0-0, could've easily been 3-4.

Very annoying.

We really need to fix this issue of Mo being stuck out right by the touchline - we're taking him out of the game with our own tactics. We need him getting on the ball way more centrally, just on the right side of the box, not out in the middle of nowhere.

We'd actually be more attacking if it was Mo and Nunez up front together as a pair, instead of having 3 up with 2 of them playing so massively wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Whatever the tactics are around the front line needs binning. It's terrible, Salah with chalk on his boots, miles away from the goal and just not involved.

When the midfield have it we just form a straight line across the pitch with defenders on their backs, no movement in behind or link up play.

They've changed how we play over the summer and it's not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Chronic under investment in the squad is coming home to roost now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Hit the post 3 times and came up against a MOM performance from their keeper. This was a typical derby but in hindsight we should have taken the points. Their chance was not a goal so no use talking about it, he was offside, that is all there is about it. We have gotten used to winning these games but they should not be easy matches. Some minutes for Nunez and return of Matip and Jota is positives.

Pickford with 8 saves today, and hit the post a couple of times, we really should have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Why was TAA taken off?.......Milner very poor in his place.

• Advertisement

The offside was just one of their chances... Maupay also missed as easy a sitter as you'll ever see, and there was the absolutely world class Alisson save too. Both teams should've scored a few today.

Is there any other team involved in the champions League subbing their players on minute 60 every game? It's bizarre carry on.

Its not like we have a ready made replacement for Trent on the bench. We have a veteran midfielder filling in.

What's the idea? They can't play two games a week? Or they'll be super refreshed and flying in a few months? Because we are dropping points left right and centre now. So much so that city will be too far ahead by the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Game is on Bein sports in the bar I’m watching in and Andy Gray has spent the last 5 minutes arguing that Cody’s goals was wrongly ruled offside because Milner played it! It’s nice to hear a voice from my childhood but by god his and Keys’ analysis is dreadful!

Reminds me of Harrington changing his swing after winning a few golf majors. Never won again.

Why the f*CK change something that clearly works

Because he was ****, his passing was awful and he was repeating what seems to have become habit, jogging around not really trying to either go forward or defend.

One of the big issues is his decline in tight matches, where his distribution masked defensive deficiencies, now that his distribution is erratic, he is a liability.

• Advertisement

I kind of wonder if the idea is to try to avoid that collapse we have every year around January. This seems like the wrong year to try things like that though, with the world cup causing such a massive disruption too, and it's hurting us more in the short term.

On the other hand, who knows what fitness information they have on the players, after such a short time off following a very long season. In theory it's a season-reset, but in reality they really barely had a week or two fully off. I'm not sure that's enough for some of them who had played 60+ games last year.

TAA has been taken off now in the last 3 games and we do not have a right back to replace him.

Maybe selling N Williams and letting Bradley go on loan while Ramsey is out with unknown injury was a wrong move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Strange game how it ended scoreless I don't know the poor start to the season goes on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think it’s time to accept that a league title challenge is already beyond us. The gap to make up will be too large, whereas we ideally needed a few points of a buffer over Man City at this stage for their inevitable 10+ run of wins. The scary thing is, despite Man City putting up a couple of big scores already, they haven’t got going yet.

We can absolutely still win the UCL though, we just need a bit of luck with injuries and the likes of Alisson, Thiago, Fabinho, VVD, Salah and the two fullbacks all being fit at the same time for every big European game, but really there’s only one player in that list I’m referring to as the rest are pretty reliable.

Bit weird that we sold Williams just as we’ve started to rotate a bit at RB. We could actually use him now. I guess we needed to balance the books or some shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was gobsmacked to see Carvalho in the starting line-up for the derby. Just doesn't make any sense, and he's probably going to be out for a few games now.

Also, can we get our money back on Nunez please? I thought Jota was a huge improvement, great to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

We’d want to hope we pick up form for the rest of the season or Bellingham won’t want to touch us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone with lingering thoughts of another league title ought to see the light by now. Just not operating at that level this season, very pedestrian. Midfield is a wasteland, outnumbered 5 to 2 there at times in the second half, transfer policy coming home to roost.

Battle is on for tip 4 imho, City are gone. With the likes of Arsenal and even United appearing stronger, top 4 is where it's at, maybe along with another run at #7.

With Haaland meeting every high expectation people had for him, it does feel like they might well win the league by 10 or 15 points this season. They're not even playing all that well in general play, but when you have a fella dominating as entirely as he does, it just doesn't matter.

without wanting to sound like a broken record, Milner was dreadful. The step down to him from an out of form TAA was massive.

He offers nothing going forward and he gets done in defence time and time again. I am struggling to understand that sub.

It killed us.

on a more general note, nothing is really clicking yet. We are dodgy defensively, we have to scramble too often. In attack it feels like we need 20 chances to score. Salah is too wide. Nunez is not at the required level yet.

I fear for this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I'm as worried as anyone when I see Old Man Milner overused as an option, but it's says everything about Trent's form that he's whipped off.

Officially, I'm sure this whole 'sub the FBs on 60/CL coming etc' is a thing, but the truth is, our starters are miles off the pace and don't warrant places in the team right now if we had suitable cover. Kostas does OK-ish starting, but has been as aimless as Robbo in the final third, with Diaz not syncing up with either as opposed to Mane in the past. Trent is just in his now usual daze, under no pressure in the side, believing everything he hears from the pundits, never been the most aware defender in any case......all fixable, and he's still a young one despite his experience, but certainly needs a rocket up his arse.

Passing is terrible, not getting the delivery as consistently as he is capable, cant get outside Mo as he's too busy trying to get into the first row seats out wide with the fans etc, Whether Ramsay is the rocket remains to be seen, but if there's one thing a successful team is weakened by is complacency, and Trent looks a poster child for that right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No use avoiding the January collapse by having it now.

Hes played 2 league games for us and scored in one of them.

That's a pretty good return so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There’s only been a handful of players I’ve ever watched that I’d call unplayable; Messi, the two Ronaldos and Ronaldinho.

It’s early days, but Haaland is looking like another. Just one of those players that when he performs to his best, you just have to cut off any supply to him as it’s already too late by the time they get the ball. And he’s very different to the other four players listed above too, a different kind of unplayable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Our attack is just not working,

We only started crossing the ball once Nunez was on the bench its bizarre

Salah has bee horrendous so much so he doesnt even get involved

I actually have zero doubts over Nunez. He is a new player in a new league with a team playing terribly.

Seen plenty of flashes of pure quality. he will only get better and better as time goes on imo

That's it really, just the total package of strength, skill, speed, and exquisite finishing. With his sheer size, his mobility defies logic. He's like LeBron in that respect, a small man's technicality with a big man's physicality. About the only chance for anyone else is if he picks up a few injuries (that amount of weight coming down on joints and muscles when his freight-train momentum shifts with quick turns is a lot of strain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He’s a bit of a sick note tho, he missed a boatload of Dortmund’s games trough injury (nearly half I think) and the vigours of the PL won’t help him! He’s been unreal so far no doubt but he’ll have a spell or two on the sidelines and truth be told with the way city have been playing this season, they’ve been just as shite as us with Haaland rescuing them each time!

regards to today, it was a derby game with their keeper getting MOTM! He done everything we needed to but sometimes football doesn’t give you what you deserve! We’ll gel and have big players back! We’re going to be in the mix! Have faith boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It was a fairly typical away derby performance and if we had won our other 3 or 4 games you'd say fine. However Salah and the full backs were absolutely awful again. How long does the excuse of midfield injuries wash? The midfield aren't the players underperforming.

Salah's new role hugging the touchline as a traditional winger is an issue right now.

He also seems to be tracking back to cover TAA more than he has in previous seasons.

I do not think it's just the injuries that are effecting the new roles and formations, they also didn't get a full pre season of training as they had to fly to Asia for the money games and missed out on two weeks of proper tactial training.

• Advertisement

Yeah, not worried about him either... like, none of what we've seen is any surprise or anything that wasn't broadly known. All those tactical breakdown videos of his qualities before he joined highlighted that he can be very raw on the ball, plenty of poor touches etc - but that ultimately he's a natural goalscorer. It was obviously decided that the club reckon they can improve that general-play aspect of his game, and that it's worth the goals he'll likely continue to score in the meantime. I mean, he's looked fairly poor in plenty of games so far, while still being a major handful with his sheer physicality - and has looked like scoring every single time he's gotten on the field, regardless how his general play is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Tbf to Salah it is clear he has been told to hug the touchline and play much wider. It's a bonkers tactic since it is taking our most dangerous attacker away from the goals. We don't even work overlaps which makes it even less sense. For me it is the tactics that are blunting the attack, not the form of the attackers especially when the delivery from our fullbacks has been shite all season. It doesn't help either that we end up attacking centrally quite alot in congested areas all the while our 3 mids are usually just standing in a straight line. They don't engage the defense so the opposition can just sit and hold their defensive line.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Played in all 6 of our games, he scored in 2 of them

#lfc have been out run in every single match this season.

Minimum 1.7k fewer than opponent, max 7k, average 3.4k per match

That makes sense to be honest, in that we've had more possession in every game, so the other team will always have to run more - I would guess we ran less than our opposition last season too. That in itself is a good thing, as long as the other stuff is working.

Our problem is more our intensity on the ball, and not moving our attacks into dangerous spaces quicker in possession - and our lack of short co-ordinated sprints to pressure off the ball. Rather than general running, we're missing those short-term bursts of effective efficient intensity this season.

It was a Bournemouth type performance without the goals, we had less shots against Bournemouth, less corners, they all go in one day, and then there are days none of them go in. It would be much better to put 4 past each team, that 9 past one ,and 0 past the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Because he was as useful as títs on a bull out there.

I question Salah's decision making sometimes. Near the end there was a chance, I think we turned the ball over high up the field, we had like 4 players in their box and they weren't properly set defensively, and he went for the shot when that was the time to make the pass. Other times, he'll go for the pass rather than shoot and the pass will be crap.

We had 63% of possession, and Alisson had 3 saves to make today. We had far less shots last time we played them, and won 1-4, football is a funny game, its not like boxing where the winner is clear, boxing doesn't end in a draw just because time is up, with one fighter dominated yet both are standing, football does though, asking to score one today was not a lot to ask, considering the countless chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That would be my sentiment too toby and I nearly always expect to draw this game but we have been shite so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

After today's result, I'm no longer focusing on City's games/results but realistic top 4 rivals. As things stand from that point of view we are not doing too bad. Chelsea only drawing again right now and hopefully Arsenal can do the business tomorrow.

I don't want United gaining any more momentum, so if Arsenal keep getting 3 points that's fine by me. Hopefully the team start clicking from Wednesday with more players back, but we have been saying that for a while. Maybe the CL will bring out the best in them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement