Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You have too much time on your hands, he is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I just find it a little strange that zero details have been released about his injury this time, and the fact that Naby picked up an injury when he tried to force his way out of Leipzig the year before we signed him.

Given his track record though, yeah it’s probably fair enough to assume it’s yet another legitimate injury for the professional hospital patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I would think he's injured, if it is a case that he's not really injured, surely the club would have been better to offload him and get someone else in earlier in the window. It would be absolute madness on the clubs part if they held onto him knowing they are not going to use him, given the state of our midfield at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not sure what to think about the situation with Naby, I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories but it does seem to me like he is frozen out of the squad due to his "unhappiness" that came out a while ago...

Edit : Maddock explain better than me so hopefully it's nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You’re certainly living up to your name as one eyed. Mané was absolutely rubbish for the first 2/3rds of the season and the majority of the previous season. His first touch had left him and he was a player devoid of confidence or control. Things turned around at the AFCON and his repositioning to accommodate Diaz.

However you look at it, he chose to go and it was the right time to let him. Had he stayed, another year older, likely would revert back to his rusty form and worth nothing to the club at the end of the season. We needed to rejuvenate the squad and refresh our tactics at some stage. It just hasn't all clicked yet. Pining for times gone by will do nothing but give you an ulcer. Let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No, not pining at all, good luck to him and we needed a refresh, indeed one could point to a few more players that need replacing gradually in the squad and need fresh legs.

But, I do stand by saying Mane was one of our most important players over the last decade, a big game player, and we are missing him currently - as I said i trust the coach and his team to eventually get a proper set up working for us but we're not there yet certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This right here, as a whole we have been completely out of sync but the people who are attribution it to Mane absence are been a bit blinkered by the past. Mane was terrible for pretty much all of 2021 and he was on the verge of been dropped after Diaz came in and hit the ground running while he was away at the AFCON. What saved Mane was the injury to Jota and Klopp played him through the middle after he came back from it....There are many more issues within our control on why we are not performing, the most pressing one been the complete fall off in standards from our entire back 4!! I counted 3/4 glaring chances in each game that we have given the opposition from one of the defender's either giving the ball away in a bad situation or completely shutting off and not tracking the most basic of runs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A recruitment that are so meticulous in their business aren't going to buy a player who has a bad first touch. He's clearly trying to adapt to the pace of the league and the team. It's just ridiculous to be even worried about him. I'd be more worried about the established players playing way below par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ours aside, Best possible set of results for us this weekend anyway.

Don’t agree with that personally. I see City and Arsenal being the two teams battling for the league title, with City pulling away and making it easy at some point. I’d see us competing with Spurs, United and Chelsea for the remaining two spots and they’ve all won this weekend.

I can see where you’re coming from and I appreciate the optimism, I just don’t share it at the minute sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Arsenal battling for the title? They came up against their first half decent test today and in typical Arsenal fashion they sh*t the bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You need to have a word with yourself if you think Arsenal are going to be anywhere near a title challenge.

Both of you need to read the rest of that sentence.

Arsenal won't finish within 20 points of a title. First test and they failed. It's like where they were a few years back, lovely football on the eye but very little cut when it's comes to it and absolutely no spine or backbone to them.

Arsenal will fall apart, city will get complacent without a Liverpool pushing them and the world cup will turn everything on its head. Any team within 6-8 points post world cup is in the running.

Out of interest, having won 4 of the last 5 titles with Pool pushing to the limit, why would you think City will get complacent? Do you get the sense the manager/players suffer from complacency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

City will get complacent? What is that based on?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We just need to hang in there, don't lose, try to be close enough to challenge, fixtures are not kind to us in first half of season

Away to Fulham on first day, a promoted side, that actually look decent, away to United, Everton, and to come Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs all away in coming weeks.

• Advertisement

From Nov 6th on wards looks a walk in the park.

I don't believe any team can keep that pace up for multiple seasons, and last time Liverpool won the league, city lost 9 games, then they walked it the next season and last year Liverpool came from 14 points down to within a ball hair. city might be the best team the premier league has ever seen, but they also tend to hit black patches, and the further ahead they are, the longer the black patch.

Thats the beauty of refreshing the team though, gives it new impetus and invigorates. Pep had gotten rid of a few peripheral players who were agitating over appearances, I hoped that would weaken them, but they bought a goal machine. I’m not sure where they stand in FFP, but I don’t think any of us would be surprised if they bought a couple of players after the WC if they think there is a hint of complacency.

Sorry, I think you are clutching at straws in relation to City.

I do agree with you about Arsenal though, I’d expect them to fall away, they just don’t have the leaders necessary to mount a sustained challenge. If anyone, I think it will be Spurs who will go well under Conte, and that leaves Pool/MU/Chelsea/Arsenal to fight it out for the two CL spots.

I was confident at the start of the season, but I’m afraid City will walk the league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Most frustrating part is we dropped point with injured against dross like Fulham, Palace, Everton

We need a proper 5 game winning run to get our arse in gear but with tough fixtures it's hard to see it

Arsenal won't be top 2

Once we get into the real thick of the season they'll get a few injuries theyll fall apart as per

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

We have the 2nd hardest run-in in the next 5 games according to some site i was looking at for fantasy transfers) Games are coming so fast, we need a kick in the arse now or will be left too far behind even for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I mean yeah, the pedigree of the recruitment team is strong.

But at the same time, as Joe Public, we can only see one decent season of stats behind him. I don't think it's ridiculous to be a little concerned.

If Pep was manager

______Alisson____

Gomez_Konate_VVD_Robertson

_Firmino___Fab_____Jota

Salah___Nunez___Diaz

• Advertisement

It would be all possession, with a sitting back line, and the league would be won year in year out.

If Pep left City, before Klopp left Liverpool, which is likely, and then Liverpool Job came up two years later, would he be considered

He’d not be interested - he’d need more funds available to him than he could reasonably expect at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Didn't watch the match but Arsenal was the better team? I did listen to some of it on the radio and looking at the stats, well it looks like they were and I think people were a little dismissive of them as they are not bad. We will though have to see how they do once the games start coming in thick and fast.

I cannot believe United just spent 240m euro to be a counter-attacking team. This is just Solkskjaer with a little better players from 2 years ago. I suspect they will run into the same problem he did, they will not be happy with 30-40% possession and will want to start dominating. They will then run into the same problems he did, they don't have the squad for that.

City has a smaller squad than we do and they will have more players going to the World Cup as well. They have also refreshed by replacing one midfielder for another? We will have to see how it goes but like Grealish it seems like Phillips is just going to be a expensive bench warmer. They have Haaland though, but if he doesn't add goals to City that they lost from Sterling and Jesus and the change of emphasis of attack, then they really have just stood still. Stood still is not bad for a team that far ahead mind you.

We have been absolutely crap so far this season, we are only 6 points off the top and have 2 of our toughest away games done for the season. But we are only going to get out of it by ourselves and some luck. We need more control in midfield as we are a machine. I have seen people mention the back 4 as the problem and the front 3 and Salah being played out wide. I think it is simple, we miss the control in the midfield that Elliott and Carvalho and Miner as a combination is not giving you. Milner will work with other players but not as a leader in the middle, he is 36. Elliott and Carvalho is still so raw they will not give you that control together. We need them playing with Thiago, Fab and Keita as a combination and it will start looking better.

So basically, we know the fix, but seeing as we are talking about injuries it may take longer to come. Yes, we could be out of the league by then, but I am hoping we find a solution in the interim until we are in a spot to kick on with earnest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool would not be able to afford his transfers so no.

What the crack with Darwin,

He nearly scores an absolute worldly & then just before he ran into the corner flag he done some absolutely mental flying kick attempt where iv no idea if he was trying to shoot, pass or control it,

He's like a racing horse locked in paddock to long & when you open the gate just runs around like a lunatic ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

To be fair, the vast majority of that 240m was either making their debut or still being bedded in to the team. Bit early to expect them to have transformed the team. The counterattacking Ole-ball narrative is also being a bit overplayed, 1 goal out of 3 was on the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The third kit is actually quite nice this season.

The Nunez one is strange at the minute. He does seem erratic at times but has moments of brilliance in him and to be fair he seems to have great movement in and around the box as he puts himself in positions time and time again to get on the end of things. I think he will definitely score goals if utilized. However its very clear to me anyway, that he's direct out and out number 9 who wants quick balls played in behind or direct service into the box for him to either run on to or try get ahead of the last defenders. So why we're still trying to play him as link between the lines as if he's a direct replacement for Bobby I don't know? You can clearly see he's not comfortable with these fast direct balls to his feet where he has his back towards goal. His positional sense for them is all wrong as he always seems to be standing on the defenders shoulder hoping for a ball in behind and therefore has to try make an awkward run across the centre back to try get in front to get on the ball when it goes to his feet instead. Against Everton he was barely involved in the first 40 minutes as he was never in the right place to take the ball, it's no coincidence that his best cameo came on against Fulham as we were chasing the game and everything was way more direct. I don't know if its a grand plan to eventually change things to suit him but I don't see any early evidence of it anyway.

City have one midfielder, but we've wailed all summer about needing one, when we had Fab, Henderson, Thiago, Milner, Curtis, Elliott, Carvalho, Keita, Ox.

City have one, Rodri, anyone else that lines up in midfield for them is a forward, who has played no9. None of our midfielders can play as a nine, not Fab, Henderson, Milner, Thiago, Curtis, Elliott, Carvalho, Keita, Ox, you'd be even hard pushed to put them anywhere in front 3, although a couple of them could play wide in a front 3 at a push.

We rely on full backs, but that's not working out so well of late, and leaves us very open. Wolves will be tough game, they've conceded 4 goals all season, far less that anyone else in the league , but they've only scored 3, which is far less than anyone

You cant compare our team and system with City's as a like for like. Yes we both line up 4-3-3 but what we do on the pitch is chalk and cheese...The reason City can play like they do is they have a squad packed to the brim with expensive highly technical players who can zip passes and control a game on a whim as they never really give the ball away. City are willing and able to recycle the ball to death until they find an opening. it's what makes them so hard to play against, as sit back and they will eventually pass their way around you, try push up on them and they have the likes of Foden, Marhez, Silva or De Bryune who can shimmey their way around a 2/3 man press at their ease and completely open up the pitch in front of them. It's also what makes them very boring to look at as you nearly know how the game is going to play out from the first 5 minutes of looking at them...

Not sure what the City point is ?

They play a completely different way to us , also Gundogan ,KDB ,Phillips ,B.Silva are all midfielders

Gini played once as a false 9 for us does that make him a forward ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I have an Italian friend who says  Khvicha Kvaratskhelia for Napoli has been very impressive - signed in the summer for 10m and already got four goals and the Seria A player of the month for August

It's a tough away game but I actually think that’s a good thing - the occasion might give some of the players a bit of a rise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I wonder will Arthur start on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

It wouldn't surprise me. A team he should be familiar with is a much easier debut in some ways compared to a PL game

Romano reporting this evening that Liverpool had Thiago’s brother Rafinha of PSG on the list of possible signings in the closing days of the transfer window.

Not Fulham ATM tbh.

But you can't really win a league dropping those points tbf

Napoli away is such a draining fixture.

Would take a point now. Just hope there are no injuries or suspensions

Yes toughest fixture in our group, Wouldn't be a disaster if we lost it but taking into account the way we have started the season a few posters will be writing off the season once again if we lose

Listening to the totally football pod and they are talking about Napoli’s new signing Kveratskhelia saying he the most exciting new signing of the summer and a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement