Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Bobby Duncan blaming his agent for ruining his career.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEINSNEw5QZAe8PsW3sNJS2kqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowzuOICzCZ4ocDMP3SpwY?uo=CAUiANIBAA&hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Also read that there has been a falling out between the club and Mateuz Musialowski, similar to Duncan he is unhappy with lack of progression towards first team squad and tried to force a move during the summer. Whether is true or not, he has been dropped from the 40 player squad for the UEFA Youth league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thiago is available for the Napoli game.

However it looks like Carvalho is doubtful after the bad tackle he got in the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Last time when playing Napoli in draining games Ancelotti was manager of them and he seems to have a hoodoo over Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Scoring a goal in the away fixture would be a marked improvement. My recollection of those games against Ancelotti's Napoli is that in each case we failed to take opportunities and got done by lapses of concentration at the end.

I'm not expecting us to win the game on current form but scoring a goal would a measure of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They are a serious team even when we were at the height of our powers. I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Tough not to see us getting swamped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

An away draw would be a great result tomorrow night. Napoli have got off to a very good start this season, I've looked at the Seria A highlights most weekends and Kveratskhelia looks a real threat. They will massively target him and to be honest I don't know how Trent will handle it. He needs to show up tomorrow night or he will be torn asunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The Napoli away game on paper at least, is the hardest fixture in our group, wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost it. I wouldn't risk starting the likes of Thaigo (if he is available), Jota or any other player coming back from injury, maybe a few minutes at the end. No point rushing players back only for them to breakdown and miss another chunk of the season, we'll have plenty of time to make up any lost ground in the remaining group matches and should stil qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen Milner has been dribble pat 3.8 time per 90 minutes this seaso

The most by any player in the Prem this season , He really is done as Premier league player

• Advertisement

Reports starting to pick up again about Gavi who still hadn’t signed a contract with Barca.

He can sign a pre contract in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Even with all the injuries I think we'll still field a stronger team than against Napoli 12 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think a random selection of 11 lads from this forum would be a stronger team than that 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm fat, I'll go in goals! I zoomed in on that picture and couldn't believe how bad a team it actually was. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I did a little puke in my mouth looking at that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

You'll certainly manage to field a hairier one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

The Napoli game I remember most is the one played on 03 October 2018 in Naples.

It was the day my daughter was born - thankfully I only missed the first half of the game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Wow, Tuchel gone. Seems a strange one. He was heavily involved in their transfers this summer with the change of ownership. I doubt Aubameyang would have been signed without him.

Now if Pep could bugger off too, that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

That is the dumbest decision I’ve seen in a long time. Chelsea signed an awful lot of new players and it’s going to take time. If the same criteria of losses was applied to Arteta at Arsenal, he would be gone a very long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It will be interesting to see how the US owners do at Chelsea and how the fans take this. I see some were already calling for Tuchel's head in any case but if they are so quick to sack the manager it does not bode well for long term success without the finances of the Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Pochettino would have to be the front runner for replacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Potterchino ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why couldn't Chelsea have held on until after they played Liverpool new weekend before sacking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Potter would be a gamble like Rodgers for Liverpool. Managing a team like Brighton and Swansea is not like managing Chelsea or Liverpool. The pressure is intense, the expectations massive and you don't get time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I mean, if there’s one job that Graham Potter should absolutely not accept at this point in his career, it’s literally the one he’s currently being headhunted for.

It goes against everything he’s good at and as mentioned above, he’s a manager who needs time to implement his philosophy and Chelsea chase instant gratification like no other without a modicum of patience.

I hope for his own sake he’ll steer clear as I could see him being ready to manage us in 2026 when Klopp departs.

But, money talks. A big fat lump of cash can render any logical arguments or ideas completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the clearest indication to me that chelsea will be run like FSG run us going forward. Sustainable and long term signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Their scattergun approach to signings this summer suggests the exact opposite to me. The new owner was like a kid in a candy shop. No clear strategy at all by the looks of it.

Why get rid of the manager now? No sense to it. Potter will have no time to bed in his way of playing. Guarantee you he will be sacked around Feb/Mar when they are not in champions league spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Like Aubamuang?

Not in the least surprised he's gone, I didn't think they were great last season, especially after Xmas, and again so far this season. I know there was a turnover of players, but he still has a good squad there

Re:Potter, it depends how he approaches it. If he's sensible he'll give it a go, negotiate a good exit clause, and cash in.

For his own head space though, he'd be nuts to get involved with them.

• Advertisement

They needed a striker he has the pedigree, he didn't cost much, not exactly a plentiful supply of strikers out there. Way too much been made out of their spending, signed 2 good young defenders and Sterling was a great buy for the money and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

"Way too much been made of their spending".

Did they not break the record for most money spent in a single window??

They overspent definitely but I don't think it was scatter gun. I mean when FSG came in they invested in Downing and Carroll. There is a learning curve for these american owners but so far we have yet to see american owners that are in the business of losing money in this sport. Boehly has previously sounded out Edwards he obviously a fan of that method.

Really looking forward to the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

The only concern I have with Potter as a future potential Liverpool boss is that he seems to have an issue identifying reliable goalscorers. This may however be a function of the budget available to Brighton.

Actually I think the england job would be the one for him after Brighton.

With any luck they won’t have a manager by the time we play them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is the Napoli game on tv3 tonight?

Any idea on the starting 11

I'm hoping Ali,Trent, VVD, MAtip ,Robbo, Arthur,Milner, ? Salah. Nunez , Jota

I think Fab , Elliot, Diaz could do with a rest ,but who do we put as the 3rd midfielder

I cant see him rest both Elliot and Fab to be honest, both will start as they're our best midfielders available and we're home to Ajax and Rangers in our next 2 Champions League games so he will probably target 1 of those fixtures as an opportunity to rest someone. The only decision to be made will be Milner, Artur or Thiago to take up the other spot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I've heard his name come up a few times for the England job and it seems like a natural fit for him, and the England set up. I'd imagine the world cup will be Southgate's last tournament.

I think he'd be great at Arsenal & if they don't get top 4 there may be the opportunity

I'm not on the Elliot band wagon just yet,

Yes he's got a big ceiling & yes he's playing well for his age & experience but i think people are going over board on his CURRENT form ,

To me he is just doing the simple CM tasks but his style makes it look like he is doing more,

He is 52nd on Prem chances created this season , 1 goal . no assists , 4 shots on target, 0 through balls, only 40 passes per game,

In a very poor start he is ranked our 7th best payer so far ,

Huge potential but He just hasn't been as good as people are making out for me,

Does a lot of easy mid range stuff well but not great defensively & not great in the final 3rd,

I'd much rather have another dog in midfield and allow the full back on Elliot side to venture further forward more with cover from the "dog" ,

Bellingham is just world class at 19 I really hope they go for him after the world cup in January, even if that is just getting a pre contract done for next summer.

The kid has everything to be the best midfielder in the world for the next dozen years.

Himself and Elliott could be the bedrock to build that midfield on.

Yes but currently he's comfortably in our best options, like streets ahead of what we have! We have Hendo (not near what he has been the last few seasons) Fab, Elliot and Thaigo (needs to stay injury free) as the 4 that will be the constants with Jones, Milner, Kieta and Aurtur filling in the gaps where required. Klopp seems to favour Elliot over Hendo currently so he must be doing something if that's is the case as we know how sentimental Klopp can be with his old tried and trusted...Whether you like Elliot or not is irrelevant as Klopp loves him and he will be an integral part of our midfield for the coming years...

I think once we have our normal 3 back and he is on the bench we will see and improvement as a team .,

I don't think currently Elliot does anything that actually matter in a game, he plays nice tidy football but not functional in our team right now ,

I think Hendo & Fab are Klopp's two preferred midfielders up until the Hendo injury & the fact he was protecting them by the number of minutes he was giving them is a hug indication of that ,

I'm sure Elliot will become a main stay but right now i don't think Elliot is great at all ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think Klopp favours Elliott over Hendo tbf.

Elliott looks neat and tidy and I'd say elevated his attacking contribution against Bournemouth.

One criticism is that he does this "check back outside the man thing" as a matter of course when the initial pass he eventually makes was actually on from the start.

That's what i think of his attacking , it looks great but its not yet functional or penetrating , To me attacking wise he has is no better than any of the other so called defensive midfielders ,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I bet you loved Wijnaldum though?? I also bet his stats weren't anything special either.

When we were at our best, our midfielders never did anything apart from the "simple" tasks, they just did them very very well, in both efficency and speed. He is still working on his defensive side as all teenagers generally have to but dont be fooled by stats, he is playing very well and I can guarantee you he would look even better if he had a firing Salah and an in form TAA beside him. Its actually even more credit to him that he is standing out so much considering there are so many playing bad around him. It would be very easy for a 19 year old to get dragged down with them.

The under 19's beat Napoli 1-2 Doak with both goals.

That's 4 goals in 4 games for him now since he joined from Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Elliot played a sumptuous through ball to Salah, against Newcastle I think, which Salah then squared for Firmino's goal. No through ball from Elliot to Salah, and it was a beaut tbf, and Firmino doesnt score that goal and maybe we don't beat Newcastle. Which reminds I don't know where you got your stats from but I watched Elliot play that through ball, and you can too if you go look at the highlights of that game, so the stat that he has played 0 through balls is clearly false. The rest are probably false too in that case.

I know this because after our 3rd or 4th game I was of the same opinion as you about Elliot. I kept hearing how brilliant he was playing in the first few games but I just didn't see it so I started watching him like a hawk and yeah he has been really good tbf but I still think he is a bit lightweight for our midfield and how we try to play. No doubt if he stays injury free he will be a beast in our midfield in the future

• Advertisement
Advertisement