Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

On Nunez, I thought he done alright when he came on. Nothing spectacular but an improvement on what I have seen to date.

Until he gets a run of games or we get back in gear its very hard to judge him.

Players mentioned above that didn't get a chance to prove themselves, i.e. Benteke/Carroll. They played in the PL for a few seasons so we had a chance to watch them prior to signing for us, I never rated either of the two players mentioned above before they signed so I'm sure it was the same for a lot of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's concerning how dependent we've become on Thiago given his injury record. The team looks transformed when he plays. For all the talk about competition and cover for Trent, it's when Thiago's missing that we have he biggest drop off in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's going to get a chance, not least of which because the club won't be willing to take a loss so soon,so no need to worry there.

There's no harm in admitting disappointment to date though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's world class, top 5 in the world easy, he would transform any side. We knew that when we signed him he'll probably miss a third of every season.

I fully agree though, we are still trying to play the same way as when we had a prime Gini and Hendo and then we expect the full backs and forwards to perform as they should.

Klopp wanted a more direct striker it's obvious for me so they signed Nunez. Unfortunately though the rest of the side have not been functioning so it's the right move not trying to force him into the side. Klopp won't care about the price of him, he'll look at it long term and do what's best to integrate him in. He needs chances created for him and before last night we haven't been doing that.

What we have seen so far is he's a bit raw, nervous and plays with high emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Nunez still finding his feet but I think he'll be fine once he settles down...the potential is there so just needs to harness his emotions/nerves.

The comparisons with Carroll are well wide of the mark imho....I remember Big Andy getting wild praise for basically not tripping over himself while executing a 3 yard pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That what I'm saying surely i don't, surely what we are seeing right now from him is not that they saw ,

Makes it even crazier that other big clubs also wanted him,

That why im asking is it nerves or what is it with him currently,

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Not sure if anyone was watching on BT but they absolutely went in on TAA especially rio, in fairness Michael.Owen was trying to justify some things saying matip should be covering.

TAA is clocked as one of the fastest in the squad but so lazy tracking back, like it's been said we always had hendo to cover but Elliot gave no assistance. You have to think he's been told he's more offensive than defensive and to be ready for a counter. I don't think klopp would let him get away with it week in week out if it wasn't part of tactics.

Can't recall the female analysis name but she was saying he's not the brightest spark more or less..

TAA switches off in moments there no question about that in fact its his only problem

He can defend when he is confronted with a player one on one , His issue is watching the ball & players making runs off him, who don't have the ball but will receive it,

Joe Gomez is a massive problem , he has every tool to be a brilliant CB but he is awful at dealing with the high line, He make a mess of it 3 or 4 times per half, He'll panic & drop too early twice in a row & then try make up for it and push too high next time,

He just doesn't have the nerves for it anymore, The season winning season he nailed it & was brilliant but since he is in & out of the team he just can't play the line ,

So when you have Joe beside Trent is going to be a disaster , they should ever start together in my opinion ,

Then to compound it even further you have Elliot who is learning the game in front & it goes form bad to worse,

Second half against Napoli Trent was fine ,last night for 89 minutes he was fine & when Hendo or Naby even Arthur play in front of him he will improve again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We all know Trent was never the best defensively but he seems to have dropped off a cliff the last 6 months. I'm not saying the BT analysis was correct but he doesn't help himself with his brain-farts on the pitch...The Blind chance in the 2nd half was textbook of what we see from Trent these. We can see he actually spots Blind and makes an effort to get into a position to cut out the danger, then less than a second later he completely shuts off, gets sucked into the box for no reason and moves away from Blind and of course the ball flies over his head to the completely unmarked Blind at the back post. This has happened so much now that I can’t see how he ever improves in those situations, I don’t think he has anywhere close to the positional and natural awareness defenders have at the top level. Matip will help him slightly but he can only cover so much...

• Advertisement

Anyone want to guess who got the lowest who scored stats rating from our outfield players last night,

Milner & Bajcetic not included as they came o after 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Would it make any sense to swap Elliott across to the left midfield as we are stronger defensively there? Also feels very narrow at times on the right since Elliott and Salah are so predominantly left footed.

Thiago obv helped last night but Matip's superior defending and his little adventures forward are a massive part of this team playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Matip needs to do some shooting practice. He ended up in some great positions last night on a couple of occasions but didn't take the shot on.

The forward surges that he does are amazing, it's not just the havoc he causes, it always seems to lift the crowd and then that energy spreads through the team.

I'm not sure why people love to see a rangy defender marauding forward but we do - I always find myself leaning forward with excitement when he beats the first man .

Alan Hansen used to bring the ball forward like that, I think it is fantastic to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

If Nunez had scored either of his two chances, we would be singing his praises. He made himself busy and his link up with Salah is encouraging. Very early days to even think how he will turn out.

We created plenty of chances all through the game. The hunger was there again. The midfield cover of the defence was ok for the most part. TAA wandering very far forward and central worries me. Your right back shouldn’t be central to take pot shots at goal and then aimlessly wander back to his position. But except for the goal, he defended when he had to so it’s hard to be overly critical.

I was a bit more concerned about our setup once we took off Elliot. We changed formation and completely lost control of midfield. With absolutely nobody in front of TAA, we looked lost for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A right back should always check their Blind spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Without even seeing the match I'd know it was Elliot as it is you asking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He'd a quiet enough game alright.

Needs to use the ball a bit quicker.

There was a lovely run in the first half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Much improved performance from the Napoli horror show, still a few things to work on, but, the signs are encouraging. The forwards need to stop shooting straight down the goalkeeper's throat as we won't get that many chances in every game, they need to be more clinical with the chances. Matip & Thaigo made a huge difference, but, everyone was much better tonight, showed some hunger and desire.

Trent's lapses in concentration are becoming a huge problem now, it's costing us a goal pretty much every game, he obviously doesn't like to do the dirty work of defending, but, also can't expect others to constantly cover for him, hard to know what the answer is. Maybe the lack of competition and knowing he'll play regardless of how he performs is a factor in his poor performances of late. Milner no longer an option, Ramsey not fit and probably not ready for this level yet, Gomez who did well last season the few times he filled in, but, his confidence is probably shot since the Napoli game. Trent really needs to sort out his defending, needs to be more alert to danger. If he can sort that out it will make a huge difference.

Also Nunez needs more time and a consistent run of games to integrate properly into the team, I think the sending off and suspension has heaped extra unnecessary pressure on himself, I wouldn't be worried yet, he's done ok without being brilliant, if he hasn't picked up by March or April next year then I might begin to worry about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think it's only Thiago, it's having a combination of senior midfielders available of which Thiago is one. The 3 matches last year where we won 5-0 against Watford and United away and 3-2 against Atletico away we had Milner, Keita and Henderson in the middle. No Fabinho or Thiago in those matches and it did us no harm.

At the moment we only have 3 fit midfielders available. Elliott is still very raw and AFAIK not really a midfielder but a winger. I think we will find our groove again once we have more options in the middle, once Ox and Keita is back along with Henderson. It will allow for some rotation and will allow players to rest so we don't run them into the ground in the meantime. Just getting Jones and Henderson back before those 2 later on will help.

Yep of course it was Elliot

Great potential but no where near good enough currently & that's going forwards & defensively ,

Our success always happens when we have 3 midfielders who are good at there defensive duties ,

When we where winning the league and Champions league scoring loads of goals everyone wanted a more creative midfielder to get more goals, But those successes are built off a midfield 3 who always protect our CB's & the space our full backs leave to allow our falls backs the room to attack ,

No coincidence the midfielder Klopp wanted this summer is know for his defensive work more than his attacking ,

Our stability is built from the middle of the park & its been sorely lacking because of injuries so far this year,

The guy has obvious talent, the only way that develops is by playing. Anyone who remembers Ronaldo’s beginning at Utd will remember how he infuriated senior players by continually doing the wrong thing with the ball, Salah didn’t pull up any trees at Chelsea either. It takes time, and patience. I’m at least encouraged by his progress, which I think is better than Jones’s. So look, no one here thinks he is the finished article, no one thinks he doesn’t make mistakes or choose the wrong option at times, but constantly pointing out that he isn’t performing at a top level makes the person who says that look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should we as a club be more dominating, should life be less stressing, say like City. Is it a failure that Klopp has failed to build a team that is ultra consistent. Liverpool have to fight for every goal, every draw, every win, it's never ending, while City will coast through 90% of their games without a care in the world, like Real, or Psg, or Bayern. We're not there, every game for us has the fear factor.

You’ve never seen the white handkerchiefs in the Burnabue, the endless stream of failed managers who were fired by those 3 clubs, and City before Pep, the players bombed out of all four clubs because they didn’t hit the ground running? It’s true Bayern and PSG dominate their domestic leagues, and there is probably lower stress than in the PL, but conversely, English clubs are not expected or required to win the CL, whereas there is crushing pressure on RM/PSG/BM to do so.

• Advertisement

Look i agree that Elliot has bags of protentional & will become a great player,

My thing is people refuse to out any blame on our current bad run on him, when infact he is one of the main reasons the right hand side looks so light weight and open, Trent & Gomez are slaughtered but Elliot is given a free pass , there are obvious reason's why the press give him a pass but us a Liverpool fans can call out what the issues are in the current 11 & he is one of the main ones,

I still have high hopes for the lad but its also ok to be honest & say he is struggling ,

He had very few touches on the ball last night to add to his issues off it,

He get's a pass as hes playing because Henderson, Keita and till recently Thiago were injured. I don't think Klopp thinks its good playing a 19 year old there week in week out. Who else is supposed to play there when those players are injured? Ideally he should be playing cup games and coming off the bench but our midfield is a mess.

Saying he's one of the main reasons the right is off is wrong, Trent is phoning it in and Salah is shackled out wide.

Yep that's fine , but its also fine to say when he hasn't played well & contributed to issues we have ,

If I'm honest I'm not sure where he best position is, he can add to the attacking play where he is but he lacks pace and the physical attributes for the defensive side. His strength is his passing and ability to link with the forwards so I see him as more a no.10 but we don't play with one.

That's the problem he is a nice and tidy player but has issue he needs to over come,

Lack of pace really hurts him offensively & defensively ,

He's a proper old school 10 but as you said they are no long a thing ,

In my eyes at the top level he can only hope to make it in a midfield 3 like a D.Silva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

We were so much better without Milner last night. He should only be used again in FA Cup or Carabou Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ridiculous decision. It's almost like they want players to get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Crazy stuff. Especially with some teams having 2 rounds of PL games to reschedule, and the WC of course.

You couldn't blame any team still involved in European competition putting out literal U-18 sides in both the League Cup and FA Cup. I think Klopp will definitely want out of both competitions at the first hurdle.

It depends on how the league and European season is going!

Watching the MC v BD match, Bellingham really is a star in the making, it’s hard to believe he is only 19. But, Deli Alli was very similar at that age, he looked like the best player on the pitch a lot of the time. I’d love to see him at Pool next year, but it’s still a hell of a gamble to pay 100+ mill for a diamond who still needs polishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

I was expecting Rangers to be 4 down at this stage. I suppose a draw wouldn't be the worst result group wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Interesting to see us play probably our best last night with Bobby again playing in a deeper, almost midfield role. Looked like a 4231 setup in the second half so I wonder if that's gonna be the way going forward... Certainly an option anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd be giving BVB £100m for Bellingham in January get the deal done quickly the kid is world class.

Although I'm sure there are some fans who would right him off after a handful of games if he did join.

Edit what a goal he just scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He played largely second string sides before Christmas last season in the cups. Depends on the draws really.

Kelleher

Ramsey Gomez Phillips Tsimikas

Jones Bajcetic Milner

Ox Bobby Carvalho

Has the makings of a decent cup team there and I'm sure there will be CBs & CMs that will need fitness and game time too. Wonder if Gordon will be back for the cups too?

It's the Origi & Taki duo that is missing really. They were brilliant for the cups last season, and sometimes carried their cup form into important league games and goals too. Both scored big goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sign him up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Whiff of the mbappe nonsense about Bellingham. We aren't getting him. No way, Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Bellingham looks injured. Perfect for us.

Haaland looks like an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Official numbers a bargain but not really when everything is factored into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looks like Elliott will be called into the England squad tomorrow...... FFS! With their record of sending back players with injuries to Liverpool, that's all we fvckin need.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

@dav010 Agger was great at bringing the ball out from the back too. Scored some amazing goals as a result.

Official, unofficial, whether he is paid in magic beans, he is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Was he really that good today?? Wasn't bad and took this goal really well but didn't see any truly outstanding qualities from it. I know he's only 19 but what's his best attributes?? He seemed to play the basics today but didn't look a >100million player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If he was truly awesome, he'd be wearing a red shirt!

Instead, he's just another galactico to me. A technically great player but not someone I care about.

Advertisement