Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

On the Palace head butt a lot of the reviews of it focused on the niggles between himself and Anderson

If you watch the game back he actually loses the rag with himself after a chance that he made a meal off & ran after the ref for about 2 minutes looking for a handball , he never clamed down & a couple of minutes later seen red,

I think he really felt the pressure of the miss in the first half & that miss in the second,

The extended break may have done him the world of good, he may feel more at ease & settled ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nunez has played 259 minutes of football for the club and scored 2 goals and has 1 assist in that time.

259 minutes is less than 3 games.

He joined a team that has been plagged with injury and loss of form if anything he could ask what bloody club have I joined this team is supposed to be a well oilled machine and one of the best 2 or 3 teams in the world not a team that look like they never played together before.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

What have you made of his displays in them 259 minutes ?

Weak & strong points

Elliott on the bench for the England under 21's.

Tyler Morton also on the bench.

A blast from the past is starting for them Rhian Brewster who since his £25m move to Stoke has only scored 4 goals in 57 games and none this season.

Edit: He has scored 2 goals in the first 5 minutes.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Ben Doak (16) scored on his Scotland under 21 debut after coming on as a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He's been brilliant for Arsenal. Shrew purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don’t Ray Purchase purchased him but whoever did was shrewd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Course you can say, but that’s not the issue.

People going completely overboard, jumping to hasty conclusions and reiterating the point ad nauseam is the issue.

There’s an additional irritating problem and that’s against the grain crew jumping on board these edgelord viewpoints. trying to make out that people are being unreasonable by asking other posters to stop repeating the same old tired hastily concluded conclusions.

Of course you know that.

he hasn’t been great but it’s very early in his Liverpool career to come to any reasonable conclusions. To have a strong viewpoint on Nunez now, either way, means you have an agenda or just love to moan.

give him to Christmas at least

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'ad nauseam'' is such a great term. It aptly refects what goes on in here to be honest. The 3 game ban and the game cancellations have hampered his start at the club. We all know that. Add in the fact that a lot of the team started the season as poorly as he did, certainly didn't help him.

Now that the injuries are clearing up and the games will be coming thick and fast, I'm sure we all hope we see the Nunez that warranted such a big fee.

I'm very hopeful that by the time the World Cup comes around, the talk will have moved on to something else and the merry-go-round begins once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

After the World Cup, every single team will be dealing with the injury fallout. Our depth of squad is still a big concern in that regard.

The Nunez and Elliot discussion should be seen in the light of a very poor start to the season with a non-functioning team. If we come out rosy after the World Cup with regard to injuries, then the discussion about them will all be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's the whole "I'm not bashing them but just giving my honest opinion on x y x about their performance" is the real roll your eyes stuff on here. That's fair enough if it's just an opinion, but stating the same drivel about the same players days after day on here goes beyond "expression an opinion" it's borderline abuse and I don't consider anyone that comes out with this stuff as an genuine true supporter. Sometimes you get the impression that they're glad certain playes have played poorly...it usually stems from the Klopp out mob when things aren't going well.!

I would be wary of “genuine supporters” don’t criticise (to read a little between the lines). You may remember Mr Alan here a long time ago, who was very critical of brendan Rodgers. The vast majority here attacked on the basis of “not a real supporter”. He was correct in both the short term and the long term in his criticism. We have to be able to openly discuss our own opinions of the players, however right or wrong, without a gang forming to attack every word regardless of the subject.

Nunez's minutes per goals in PL is far far lower than Salah's, Nunez is 176 minutes, to Salah's 270 minutes

Also true in all games this season, Nunez is 130, to Salah's 196 minutes.

Nunez also beat Diaz, who is 200 minutes in all games, to Nunez's 130,

In PL Nunez matches Diaz at 176 minutes per goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His competitive performances and goals over the last year are more reliable indicators of his ability than a random 20 second clip of him fcking up.

We can either hold off and decide how he’s doing after he properly settles in with us in 6 months time (which is obviously what we should do), or we can look for indicators of how he may do - in which case it makes more sense to look at a bigger sample of data than is available in the very short time since he moved. If you’re worried that he simply can’t finish based on the training clip for Uruguay you brought up, then go look at all the examples of him finishing at a high level (including against us) to put your mind at rest.

TAA learned from is mistake in the opening game and moved on.

The right-back was caught out by Mitrovic, who used his superior aerial ability to power home a header at the back post, and many have used the footage as 'evidence' of Alexander-Arnold's poor defensive awareness.

"I learned from what I need to learn from and then it's done," Alexander-Arnold told Red Bull when asked about his reaction to the Mitrovic goal.

"I've always felt like I've been my best critic anyway, so no matter what people are saying about me, I'll be able to judge whether it's true or not, and I'll be able to judge whether I've made a big mistake in a game.

"I've been able to build up a nice filter around what to listen to."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well he didn't learn against Ajax because Blind should of scored at the back post in the second half

As a defender surely the ball is far more dangerous than the man, always defend the ball. Trent , at least with crosses never seems to track the ball, the cross, if he did he could go up to win it, or challenge for it and put the attacker off.

In this case he saw the man ahead of Blind, and went to defend that space and that man, but the ball was no where near him, me I'd always defend the flight of the ball, Trent took eye off the man with the ball, and the ball itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That filter must be a brick wall then because he’s clearly taken absolutely no defensive advice or criticism in since that goal. His weakness at the back is still often worth it for what he brings in attack, but only when the midfield is at its strongest to cover him.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He looks better on the left side of attack rather than in a central role. Has a high centre of gravity so can struggle to control balls played to his feet. Is not a great header (of the ball). Is a bit of a headbanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Really feel like we've missed the boat on properly improving the team this summer. I feel like we're going backwards now and big players like Bellingham won't jump aboard the sinking ship so to speak.

We're already hearing the rumours that Bellingham will cost too much after being told all summer he was the only target for next season.

We're now in a position where we've an ageing team with a lot of mileage and injuries on the clock. I feel we need two starting midfielders and most likely another forward next summer. Can you see this club under FSG making three big signings in the summer?

None of it makes any sense for a club who like to operate on a relative shoe string budget. Bringing Nunez in this summer was the right thing to do but neglecting the midfield looks more and more crazy as the season goes on. Top 4 will be a struggle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mbappe staying at PSG really did put a massive spanner in the works of Liverpool's transfer plans.

If he had moved to Real Madrid, as planned, they would not have had the money for Tchouameni and Liverpool would have wrapped up that transfer. Big improvement to the midfield there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree but the issue I see is there was no plan B when Madrid signed Tchouameni. I fear the same thing will happen next summer we'll be outbidded for Bellingham

Perhaps Bellingham is plan B, had Tchouameni signed (He has since clarified that he only wanted RM and was not interested in Liverpool once RM showed any interest), would Liverpool pay Bellingham’s fee as well?

There is a very good chance RM will go back for Mbappe next summer, and this time they will have to pay a transfer fee, also, in Caramvinga, Tschoucemi and Valverde RM have a fantastic midfield, so the likely rivals to Liverpool will be MC and BM. I suspect he may see Liverpool as a better prospect than either of those.

The money being quoted for Bellingham is mental so I'd doubt we'll be in for him at those prices.

The real issues is we will need a minimum of three midfielders next season.

Milner, Ox, Naby will go.

Hendo, Thiago & Fab all be a year older

Fab will be over worked as both Hendo & Thiago will 25% of the season through niggles and injuries.

Elliott & Carvalho are both just kids with huge talent but needa couple of senior players around them as they grow into long term first team players.

Hopefully Arthur actually settles in and does well as the £30m to buy him isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

We really need to be finding a longer term replacement for Fab which I think they wanted Tchouameni for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Transfer isn't the issue, but no way will we pay the crazy wages quoted on a first contract.

450-500 k/wk, it's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Considering he was available on a free transfer, it's strange that Liverpool (as far as I'm aware) didnt try to sign Eriksen. He'd have offered an immediate improvement in midfield without impacting the budget for a big money midfield signing next summer.

I would have thought his medical history was the concern. We have enough medical issues. Utd took a punt and it has worked for them.

• Advertisement

Bingo Trent done exactly what he had to do or would be trained to do,

If you watch the clip care full Trent starts to sprints to the free man inside him (you can see his head straighten up) before the ball is kicked, He couldn't wait till the player crossed it to read the flight as it would have been too late to get to the free man,

There was two players free, he went to the inside man, which means he has at least an chance of defending both, If he stuck with the outside man he has zero chance of defending the inside one ,

What is your on what you have seen from him in a Liverpool shirt so far ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sounds like people are potentially suffering from International Break madness....

Would recommend having a read of this from the Guardian about the Champions League final situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/sep/21/liverpool-real-madrid-paris-stade-de-france-champions-league

And there's also a very good (borderline harrowing) podcast on the Football Weekly feed - I was aware of some of the events but genuinely didn't realize it was that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thats a harrowing read. Pretty much the entire disaster of that night boiled down to a very inaccurate perception of Liverpool supporters by the French authorities.

Pure and utter discrimination.

My take is primarily that it's way too early to have a take. The information and circumstances are such that it's just pointless for any meaningful analysis or conversation - it's talking for the sake of talking. Which is grand, as long as no one treats it any more seriously than that, but we can already see that a lot more emotion and frustration is being invested in it.

In general, to me he looks like a guy who is still working to get up to the level of fitness required for a Klopp team - something far above and beyond what has been required of him and his role before. He's also a young man in a new team in a new league in a very different country with a new language and a new set of responsibilities. This stuff takes time to adjust to mentally and physically.

Its pk to judge on what we have seen to date As long as you realise that your owning judging to DATE

Do you think he has looked good on the ball ? Do you think he has looked composed infront of goal ?Do you think his heading when trying to score has been good ?

I think he looks quick, aggressive , a real handful , looks best suited to less touches, looks in phenomenal shape so must be professional and a hard worker ,

I said it before i think he is a bit like Lakaku as in less is more with him, now is he Lakaku at Inter or Lakaku at Chelsea only time will tell,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jesus lads, ye badly need a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It was obvious even before the season started that we needed to reinforce the midfield, the club obviously thought so too, as they tried to sign Tchouameni, but, when they missed out on him, they don't appear to have had a plan b, waiting a year for Bellingham ( who could well be beyond our budget next summer) is not a great plan b. We are probably the only major club not to have more than one reliably fit midfielder in their mid to late twenties, that's an amazing situation we find ourselves in. We only have 3 midfielders in the mid to late twenties, the prime years for a midfielder; Fabinho, Keita and Ox, only Fabinho can be relied upon to stay fit for any length of time, the other 2 are either unavailable or not part of first team plans when fit.

You'd have to imagine we had 3 or 4 on the list ,

I say that because Tchoameni & Jude are two totally different players ,Iv a felling the 2nd or 3rd choice where just not available this summer possible due to contract lengths & next summer things will be easier, How many times have we heard the player we singed was not first choice but still ends up great ,

I think it’s all pretty irrelevant at this stage.

it’s like waking a fella up in the middle of the night with a bucket of water, throwing boots at him to go play, and then casting a critical eye over his performance.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough to make any accurate judgement whatsoever of what his future performance will be like. As I said above, it’s talk for talks sake to fill a boredom vacuum. Which is grand, so long as we accept there is no merit in it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Think you are going too far the other way there tbh.

I wish the poster hadn't mentioned the training clip because now some are acting like that's what he is being judged on.

He has been poor so far, in ability, strength and mentality. No harm noting that.

• Advertisement

Interesting comparison between TAA yesterday saying that he learned and moved on and VVD saying this....

I know I could have done better at the beginning of the season, I'm not naive about it

Trent 23 & VVD is 31 so has the experience to say the correct things,

At 23 VVD was still at Celtic & I'm sure he was not as wise ,

There's no harm in noting it - but equally it has to be very much recognized that the fact he's not been good is not really telling us any useful information about anything. We should expect that he would not look good yet.

The only players that have looked good for us immediately are those whose natural game and fitness levels were already a systemic match for us before even joining. Anyone who has to adapt has looked poor, or simply not even played for 3 or 4 months. Lads like Robertson, Fabinho and Tsimikas are what we should be thinking of - players whose responsibilities and systems at their previous clubs were very different and they needed to get up to speed either mentally, physically, or both. Meanwhile someone like Diaz could come right in because his job was to keep doing exactly what he had been doing.

All of these conversations just sound exactly like all the stuff spoken after Fabinho's performance against Arsenal around a month after he joined. 3 months later, after Christmas, he cemented his place as one of the most important players in the team. So we've been here before. Let's give him the same time to adapt that other players required.

While in theory what your saying is correct about the other players,

They struggled to cope and get used to the system , pace & conditioning & at times looked lost until the where integrated ,

Nunez issues aren't positional or tactical everyone understands that takes time , the issues is that he has looked technically very poor for 90% of the time we have seen him,

The chances he missed , the poor headers, poor controlling & passing of the ball is still the same , its poor technical ability that is the worry ,

Lets get him doing less to do more, lets get him more in the box like City & Fulham

That's why I was saying to go look at his technique from last year. He's the same player, only then he was at the level of sharpness and fitness required for his role. As I said, to me he looks like a guy who is having to work hard right now to get up to the physical fitness and sharpness required at a Klopp Liverpool.

As we all know I'm sure (from our own matches, or even just looking at lads in preseason) the physical fitness comes first, then the touch comes and improves to match. You can throw a ball to someone fresh that can kill it with a touch, and then do an auld flick or two and bang it into the top corner - but if they have to do a whole rake of sprints and then at the end of it get the the ball thrown to them, it won't all be so easy.

He looks like he's gotten to the level where he can do the running now - he just can't also do the finesse at the end of the run yet. That will take time and work. Fabinho was exactly the same - his touch and technique after christmas were streets ahead of where they were in that Arsenal game. We've seen exactly the same with lads like Ox and Lallana too, whenever they were getting up to speed they could do the hard running after coming in but it would always take a while for their touch and technique to get up to that level also. It's literally match sharpness. Which will take more physical training and, obviously, more matches.

I'm not saying he's going to be great. I've no idea. None of us do, or will, until he's had the time to settle physically and mentally and we can see what he can actually do. And that will be either good or bad, but we just have to wait to find out.

Merseyside derby this weekend for the women's team it would be a great start to the season for them if they can get a win.

Great to see them training now at the new training complex as well.

Next up should be to get them a proper stadium to play at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Nunez needs time to settle in, the team's general poor play and form hasn't helped him, getting sent off and suspended for 3 games has compounded things and made his start look worse than it actually is. Since that sending off, everything in the media about him has been negative. Also he is being unfairly compared to Haaland ( either consciously or unconsciously) who is likely even at this early stage ( barring injury) to go down as one of the greatest goalscorers of all time. Too early to know how things will work out regarding Nunez, I'd imagine he'd be the first to admit he hasn't made the best of starts to his Liverpool career, and it's fine to point out that he hasn't been great, while also acknowledging that he hasn't fully settled in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

All that sticks out to me from that table is just how many games he has missed for us. I knew it was alot but looking at it like that in black and white it is outrageous to miss that many games really. I know alot of his injuries since coming to us have been out of his or anyone's control like Covid or getting leg breaker tackles but wow, that is alot of games to miss. We are in serious need of a couple of midfielders who play 40 out of 44 games and so on. 18 starts in 44 is an atrocious record tbf.

Hendo after being called into the England squad doesn't even make the bench for the game tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement