Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doesn't need games, and should have nothing to prove.

I'd imagine he didn't want to lose out on being in the camp with it being the last camp before the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I actually think he will go to the world cup as vice captain and more than likely start no important games,

People underestimate who much of a leader Henderson is , From some of the noises from players in the England camp it sounds like he is the actually captain but Kane wears the armband ,

Who else in that England squads is there ,A lot of the senor player you wouldn't have as captain material, Kane & then who Walker ?Maguire ? Sterling ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They'll be home early anyway, Gareth is a bluffer.

Going to a WC with low expectations from the press/public might actually suit them.

It’s strange, normally I cant wait for a WC to start, I have no interest in this one, and I’m annoyed with the break in the league season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just watching the legends game against United and Alonso still has it, what a player.

I swear he could still play in the PL at some level. Himself and Fabio Aurelio were massive standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Alonso was a fabulous player, one of my favourite players ever to play for us, was so disappointed when he left for Madrid, a massive loss, wasn't he replaced by Aquilani, which didn't turn out so well.

Aurelio was also a wonderful player, but, was injured more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

My memory tells me it was Gareth Barry. Alonso was such a massive loss. The beginning of the end for Rafa.

edit: too much beer. Christ I got that wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Which player was signed on the basis of a viral video at the time. He was doing solos in a bin. It was an English player and I was sure it was Barry but I can’t find it on the net.

edit: balls up. Never had Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I never saw the big deal about this video tbh. Personally I would expect a player of Downing's quality to be able to do that, I could have done that handily enough when I was younger and I was nowhere near professional standard. Could still probably do it now tbh wit a little practice and I havent kicked a ball in about ten years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just on this, they are still training at Tranmere's training ground. There was mention that there will be a new training ground for the Women's team in 2023 so at least there is progress on that regard.

Lawro went on off on one that the BBC sacked him for being 65 and a white male..

That rant alone probably shows they were right to let him go once he hit retirement age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched it now, Xabi was imperious alright, stunning footballer. Aurelio was good too - Albert Riera was unreal as well! Gliding round the place, and super quick feet just like he had in his heyday. Also lovely to see Mark Gonzalez and Sinama-Pongolle score the goals - two lads who as kids for us were so highly rated, finally fulfilling that potential 😅

• Advertisement

Not a great look for Gerrard today in videos doing the rounds with him hanging out and showing off he is good mates with Liam Byrne and The Kinahan gang members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good to hear

I still think the club are failing the women's team. I don't know the practicalities but having them in the new training ground would have been a good statement. Women's football is on a clear upwards trajectory and the club could have been at the forefront but have lagged behind.

And I don't mean subsidising the team, I mean investing in it. A few years now of setting them up well, having more games at Anfield etc would be a shrewd move. Have them be the biggest team in the country, get them competing in Europe, I'm convinced it would pay for itself and then some within a relatively short time period

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

His daughter goes out with Liams son Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Salah not called up for Egypt's friendly so gets the week off. Van Dijk scores Hollands winner against Belgium tonight

Great to see Mo follow up on his goal against Ajax with 2 more against Niger, before getting the week off too. Great for his confidence to be back in the swing of goalscoring.

Nunez got the full game on Friday too, which will do his fitness no harm at all. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start the Canada match tomorrow as well.

• Advertisement

They seemed to have become an afterthought for awhile there, they won the league about a decade ago and looked like they might become one of the top women's team, but, while the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City put more emphasis on the women's team, Liverpool just let the team drift, got relegated and lost a lot of their players to Man United when they belatedly formed their women's team a few years back. Looks like the club is belatedly making some strides to catch up, probably seeing the rise in popularity of the women's game and want to get on the bandwagon. It wouldn't take huge investment to get to the top, but, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City have established themselves and have a good reputation of supporting their women's teams, Liverpool on the other hand wouldn't have the best of reputations for supporting the women's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nunez might he the first player in ages I'm actually happy to see play every minute of the international break. The only thing for him now is to get match practice and goal scoring opportunities.

Looks like TAA isn’t going to the World Cup.

Trent not in the England squad for Germany so a nice break for him ,

Strangely he might find himself in a stronger position by not playing tonight,

If England draw another blank , it'll be highlighted all over the media & every where that Trent can make a difference going forward for them,

You'd imagine captain Kane would be in Southgate's ear asking him to bring the best crosser of the ball England have ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As a Liverpool fan, you'd hope that Trent just wouldn't go to the World Cup at all, rather than just go and sit on the bench every game. As that is a waste.

I'm sure on a personal level, he will want to travel and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Oh God, that's not good. Was photos a while back of Troy Parrott and Lee as well, think they are close friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Time for Trent to consider his England future while Southgate is manager. Total waste of a fortnight for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think anyone will dispute that we badly mismanaged the women's team and it seems like we are heading back to competing again. I agree that it is easier to get to the top as the investment needed is not as extravagant as in the men's game, but I will say that the team lost a lot of players to United in 2018-19 when United started their team. We lost 7 players to United that year, all goalkeepers and defenders. Now I believe there is a lot of churn in women's squads, but that was quite a blow. Add in the club not paying enough attention to the team the inevitable happened.

I think we all hope there is sustained investment in the team and hopefully the new training ground that will have all the the women's teams together, much like the men's teams are now, will be another step forward for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If this is true, it may be worth giving keita a nice sign on bonus to encourage him to sign the contract

As far as I can recall liverpool lost all those players to United ( who were only putting their first squad together and going to be competing in a lower league) because the players were unhappy with the way the club were running the women's team, it didn't take long for both clubs to swap places, United gaining promotion and became competitive in the top league while we were relegated and only gained promotion at the second attempt. For the 2 biggest clubs in England, neither have been great supporters of the women's game, it's amazing that United didn't even have a women's team until a few years ago, while liverpool let the women's team drift aimlessly over the last 5/6 years.

Both clubs have been top of the tree for so long and standards are set so high by fans that the majority of fans get so used to watching the very highest standards week in week out that they simple aren't interest in lower level football ,

And that's not because its Women playing i think its because its not a high stander of football , I used to go to LOI games & packed it in simply because of the standard of football on show, wasn't much off what i could muster myself

So with my own limited spare time I'd rather watch the highest level i can , being a man or a women doesn't even come into it ,

I get your point, but if the club managed it correctly I think they could get a lot of fans in. Try to line up home games with men's away games, make it cheap, encourage local families, put more in Anfield, open the kop bar before/after to watch the men's match. It's really hard to get to tickets for the men's team at the moment, if they made the women's team feel more like part if the same club I'd say plenty would go. I know I would if I lived over there, I'd love the chance to take the kids to Anfield reasonably regularly

Plenty? It is not PC to say it, but why would plenty more go than already are? Even if it was at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Over 27000 was at the match last night which was impressive I thought for a late Sunday evening game. It didn't suit young families with school in the morning

I think so, yeah. And look, I'm not saying it's anything it isn't, I don't think the standard is great at the moment but it's on a very clear upward trajectory. I've always felt Liverpool, more than the other "big" teams were still very community focused, and I think they could have lead the way. And if they did, I think it could get to a really good place in a few years. Maybe this is the start now, but as someone said above it feels like bandwagon jumping now, I'd have liked to see them be more pioneering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I really want Bellingham in our team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He would be perfect for us in fairness.

Sell him in 8 years for a profit.

• Advertisement

He's on fire tonight. Give Dortmund whatever they want.

Musiala I said before I’d take him over Bellingham but man if Bellingham Is worth 150m he is worth 250m.

How did England let him slip through there hands after capping him all the way up to under 21’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He made a lucky escape..... He'd probably be playing fullback or sitting beside Trent if he was with Gareth.

Just fond out ill be in Liverpool the weekend of the City game & then found out the family event is on the same time as the game,

So i'll miss the game while only being a few miles for the stadium

What are the chances ,

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Southgate hasn't a clue but its only Liverpool fans who would pick Trent over Reece James. I think TAA is a fantastic footballer but James is the better all round right back/right wing back. TAA is better than Trippier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Would say alot about his character if he downed tools because he wasn't being picked. England are well stocked at RB (James, Walker, Trippier). The only reason Trippier gets in is because he can play both flanks and Walker can play RCB and RB. James, is just a better all round player (way better positionally in terms of defending, not as good offensively, but not markedly so).

He's unlucky in that hes a star for this Liverpool team, but lets not kid ourselves that his questionable positioning hasn't cost us in some big games. We balance what he gives us in attack against what he may cost us defensively and choose the threat he offers going forward to be more beneficial. Perfectly reasonable that others may simply want a better defender.

He'd be a nailed on starter if he was a reliable defender in big games, unfortunately its been proven hes not (red tinted glasses aside).

• Advertisement

They’re just totally different players - Trent gives you a range of passing and tactical dynamism that James can’t compete with. James is the better old fashioned athlete fullback. He’ll get up and down all day and is still decent at both defending and attacking.

Each suits different styles, so it depends on what you’re looking for. I’d want both in my squad so I could pick based on opposition though - if you’re going to have a lot more of the ball, you want Trent for sure, but James is better playing on the break (which is what England aim for in tournaments).

I think what you highlighted above shows how poorly thought out Southgate's selection is ,

Tripper, Walker, James are all very similar players ,they give you pretty much the same thing,

Trent is the X factor , when your chasing a game or need to break down a stubborn defence,

How many times do we see a manger throw on 3 or 4 attacking players & lose control of the game,

Trent allows you to add creativity from deeper while keeping control and shape,

Also something that is absolutely huge is that Trent is a weapon that teams are not used to dealing with because he is the only RB in the world with his abilities ,

Its like bringing 3 forwards who are all replica's of each others style & leaving behind one who is brilliant gives you something completely different to the other 3,

Apparently Jude is going to object to all PL offers and go to Real. Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

That's a quote from Marca which is the mouthpiece for Madrid. Wouldn't take too much notice of anything they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Usually how they poach player's, quotes from Marca for ages prior to a move...

• Advertisement
Advertisement