Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Some quotes from Konrad Laimer today, available on a bosman this summer from Leipzig. Was always expected to join Bayern, but mentioned today that he has always been a Liverpool fan when asked about our interest.

This lad is tailor made for Liverpool, the type of high energy (with good technical skills to boot) player who would suit our midfield down to the ground. Would be a brilliant signing and maybe allow us to still spend big.

You would expect Keita, Ox and Milner will be out this summer, which leaves us with Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho, Jones and Elliot. Still not convinced with Jones either, would love to see how he would develop playing every week for another premier league team.

We will see no more than 2 midfielders joining next season i'd say. Laimer and Bellingham would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Surely they would be better connected with Bellingham's team than Real Madrid and have a better indication on whether he would be willing to join us. According to the Athletic, they made him an offer when we was 12 but the family wanted to stay in Birmingham. I would expect that they have been some good feedback that he would be willing to join us for all the noises that may be made around this. If we lose out on him, I expect it to be another Premier League team and not Real Madrid. If he has a good World Cup, we may be priced out of the market for him, but that has been the way for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He'd be a perfect signing ,

We probably need 3 midfielders next summer & if we can get one of his level for free than we need to jump on it,

Milner, Naby & Ox will all be gone , God knows what will happen to Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does Klopp get too emotionally involved with players, is it why we see them stick around far to long, in reality Milner, Jones, Firmino, Elliott, Keita, Phillips, Henderson,Gomez, Adrian, Ox, and Matip should all be got rid of in summer, they're not good enough.

Elliott is useless in midfield when it comes to defensive responsibilities, so he'll never be a top top midfielder, just a guy who is great on the ball, who lacks end product.

Is it time for FSG to sell, the whole '' we're successful but we live within out means'' is getting old if we're not competitive, now we're just a club living within out means, with no success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think the ship has sailed on the Jude transfer for us. He is quite possibly going to be the most sought after player next summer, especially if he has a decent World Cup. The fee Dortmund will seek along with wages the Real's and PSG's will offer will simply blow us out of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Darwin Nunez scored for Uruguay today in an actual match.

Not getting anywhere near as much attention as the training ground clip though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

Very different players playing very different roles

Put Trent into the back 7 (3 CB, 2 FB and 2 holding midfielders) like at England and Tuchels Chelsea and he won't get exposed either. Put James with Gomez at CB and a 37 Yr old Milner covering the RHS of midfield and see how tight he looks.

James is a fine player, but we're comparing apples and oranges here in what they're being asked to do - likewise Trippier in a defensive system built by Simeone at Atleti.

That training ground clip was ridiculous and exactly what's wrong with the way football ball is reported on these days. 10 second clips loaded onto social media and taken to distort context. It's the same for these YouTube compilations where we get all the best clips of some unknowns and they're then proclaimed the next best thing! For all we know Nunez could have hammered in 10 screamers the same day but we will never see that as it doesn't suit the narrative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Fabinho and Firminio unused subs in Brazil's 5-1 win

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Didn't work with haaland & mbappe. Looks like city will be in the race for Jude too with gundogen & silva possibly leaving soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nunez’s goal was a classic strikers towering header from a lovely cross from Luiz.

Jota played 79 minutes in Portugals lose to Spain

Tsimikas played the full game in Greeces win over Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Leaps like a salmon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Matip has been arguably our best defender for a couple of years, Elliott is just breaking through and Henderson isn't an automatic starter but still our best leader and captain. Gomez suffered a horrible injury, he's not been great recently granted but only fourth choice CB. I'd keep Naby personally but can see why others wouldn't. The rest are backup or one foot out the door.

Why would we been off loading Matip this summer?? He is still operating at a top level and showing no signs of slowing down just yet. Elliot is 19 and one of the biggest young talents in the Premier League, FSG would off-load Salah before selling him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Looking into going to the Napoli home CL game on November 1st. Will be in Manchester for work for a few days. Manager is also a Liverpool fan.

Just looking this morning and there are tickets on StubHub. €199 for upper main stand, €299 for upper Kop.

Are there any other recommended sites for tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Its about context,

To claim people are laughing at him because of 1 10 second clip is head in the sand stuff,

For instance that clip could have been of Salah ,Diaz ,Jota or Firmino & nobody would bat an eyelid as everyone knows what they are capable off,

People aren't just laughing at Nunez because of that 1 clip , its because it adds to what people have seen in games, bad touch, miscontrolled balls , poor finishing & fouls,

I'm not saying he is not going to work out in the end but you can understand why people are worried ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Matip is an elite level defender. To question him Toby, well it's utterly bonkers to do so in my opinion.

But if you remember there was clips of VVD getting caught out in his Southampton days when we signed him for big money and it had rival fans in stitches. Claiming he was a fraud before he even put on the jersey. I remember one of the clips showed him getting burned by Aguero, but when you actually looked at the clip in real time Aguero was flagged off side and VVD had actually stopped his run. But for the "context" of the 5 second clip that wasn't known... The reason people are sharing these clip is not because of what Nunez can or can't do, its to undermine Liverpool's transfer policy and give rival fans a reason to have a go at us over it. Of all the things to ignore in the game, these are very high on the list...

Honestly hand on heart can't remember clips of VVD , I just recall people thought the price as crazy ,

Viral clips of Nunez doing stupid things will stop once he starts scoring goals,

Go watch the clip off all Nunez touches against Canada , bar the good header its very similar to how he's been with us ...poor ,

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

Konate back in full training is great news

FSG with LeBron and a few other basketball players are looking to buy one for the two new NBA expansion teams that will be based in Las Vegas,

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

My memory of when we signed VVD is very different to that. The consensus on the Southampton message boards was that he was the best defender ever to play for the club and they were confident he would be a success at Liverpool. Fans of other clubs were mostly jealous. Very few questioning the signing from what I can remember.

• Advertisement

That was what actually football fans understood too but it still didn't stop the click bait morons from stirring the pot and putting together stupid memes and videos. The UTD fans in particular in my football team WhatsApp group found it hilarious that we spent 75m on a player from Southampton...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1471668-remembering-man-united-fans-chant-when-virgil-van-dijk-joined-liverpool-for-75-million/amp

Loads of sh**e like that went around. This Nunez witch hunt reminds me of similar.

Pearce reporting this evening that Ramsey isn’t far off being available.

It would be good to have him ready to go for the game against Derby in the 3rd round of the league cup to give him a run out in that.

I wonder financially how we can benefit from this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It'll be a huge missed opportunity if we don't get God involved in that Coke marketing campaign.

• Advertisement

All my years drinking this toxic crap, I may finally get a meet and greet with Jurgen and the lads... 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Does Salah still do Pepsi or is that finished?

Think he does alright... 😂

Sure Jurgen has a deal with Adidas runners only yet Nike obviously are our kit sponsor....

You often notice he has his Adidas runners on the touchline...

We can finally justify it all Fieldog. It's a good day indeed.

Debut away to Rangers ?

If he's fit he should be capable of that .,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For a game like that it's probably more about whether or not he's tactically up to speed with the team, rather than capable. I'd say cup games and sub appearances for a wee while before the higher stakes starts.

(also we know how much pressure and scrutiny he'll be under if he makes one mistake in a game that matters!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Trent be better off out of the England squad while that clown is manager. The media hype around his selection can't be good for him. He's experienced but young still and not the type of lad that courts any attention.

Pearce had an article earlier and said it best "Southgate is too interested in what Trent can't do".

They all matter at a club like Liverpool ,

H's had a rough start nothing worse than getting injured when trying to bed in, ,

Huge game this weekend, anything other than 3 points is a disaster after our start & Arsenal , City next up

They all matter, but some games tend to feature the likes of Minamino, Harvey Blair, and Tyler Morton, while the others feature Fabinho, Salah, and Thiago... there's an obvious pecking order in which our stars appear, and in which our younger or more fringe players appear.

Since we've already had a pretty shaky start to the CL campaign, it might be a bit much to throw him in ahead of Trent in a Champions League game given we know how critical the fanbase can be if he doesn't hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I've seen it mentioned by various pundits, ex players etc that Trent should retire from England duty while Southgate is managing them.

Surely people don't actually believe that to be a viable option, there's no possible way Trent could come out of that in a good light if he retired. He would be absolutely ripped apart and rightfully so tbh, I presume it hasn't actually entered his own brain as something he might be considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I can't imagine he would go down this route, he has absolutely noting to gain from a move like that. The way it is now, all the pressure is on Southgate as England are badly under-performing and seriously lacking in creativity. Trent is actually getting good press for what he could bring to the team if utilized. If Trent were to retire, then all that negative press would just be focused back on him and then imagine the circus of him coming out of retirement for a new manager?? He's better off saying noting and just let this one play out...The people than want him to come out and retire have their own agenda in the hope an announcement like that will force Gareth out the door.

If defending is what he can’t do, then Southgate’s concern may be justifiable.

The fact is that for the most part TAA suits Liverpools style of play and when our first choice midfielders are fit, they compensate for his shortcomings defensively. But England don’t play like Liverpool, and when you have a clueless CB like Maguire and the marginally better Stones beside TAA, Southgate is probably right in choosing a RFB who defends better than he does.

How many times has TAA been caught out this year? In a knock out competition it only has to happen once and the game is lost, like the CLF. So this may well be the kick in the hole he needs to up his game. Liverpool could be the big benefiters from his England problems.

What you have said is absolutely fair if that his point of view but its still a stupid decision not to have him in the squad,

As said a million times Walker James, Tripper are all like for like players not much difference in them at all, & that is the very reason you make one of your 3 RB's Trent,

Your chasing a game or can't break down one of the poorer sides , to be bale to bring on a RB who can create basically more than any midfielder in the squad is priceless, You know when a manger throw on 3 forwards to chase a games but you lose shape & control , Why not throw on Trent to give you an extra dimension from RB, Its an X factor ,

No team brings 4 CF's that play the same way, ,You have a 22 squad use it wisely & get variety into it , Its like when you used to always have 1 big man who can play up top in the squad,

Nobody is saying Trent must start games but to leave him out is foolish ,

Screw the club’s marketing team, I’ll do it all myself:

I think he’ll be in the WC squad still alright, since it’s an expanded 26 man one this time.

Its gas cause even this season in the Prem Trent has made more tackle per game , Has more ball recoveries & all his attacking stats are also better than Tripper,

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

This would most likely be Southgate's last World Cup unless they win it. He has been in the job for 2 tournaments, if he doesn't go deep in this competition, the knives will be out. Also there is always a scape goat needed for the British press if it goes pear-shaped like Beckham. Better to sit this out, he is young enough to go to future world-cups.

But it's fair enough for a manager to want his defenders to defend. Trent's defending cost us a goal in a Champions League final. I'm not sure I'd trust him in the form he's in, if we had a decent replacement his position may be under threat with us.

Robbo ,VVD & Trent all at fault for that goal , Plus it was actually offside Benzema touched it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Disagree, Trent was the biggest culprit in conceding that goal. He had **** all defensive responsibilities in that match as the task of closing down Vinicius was given to Konate. For the goal Trent is in the perfect position to defend that ball just before it is played. He even had a look to see where Vinicius was. What happened after is inexcusable for a defender, even for a poor one like Trent. He completely fails to anticipate and then react to the obvious run and continues to just plod along towards our goal.

As for Trent and England, I am not totally shocked that he wasn't involved. Although I agree he offers something else that England's other fullbacks don't and for tactical reasons might be worth having him involved, in my opinion he hasn't produced it for us this season and I think he wasn't involved simply down to poor form. You brought up some stats a few posts ago which I would take with a pinch of salt. The majority of those attacking stats were padded by the Bournemouth game, where even Bobby got to look like a world beater for one game. Even Trent's goal in that game came about from a poor pass from him that ricocheted in to his path.

I somewhat agree with something you posted days ago though in relation to Elliot. I also think he has been a little overhyped on here and I somewhat agree that having him playing on the right of the midfield three is exasperating our defensive frailties down our right side. It was further exasperated when we had to play Milner also. Doesn't excuse Trent though and his very apparent lack of effort when in position to defend, I mentioned it before I have actually found watching him rage inducing. The only Liverpool player in a very long time that's happened with. The defensive issues down the right side for me are partly laziness from Trent and also a tactical one. It has been clear to me that we don't have a midfielder in our ranks, not even the current version of Henderson, who has the legs and tactical discipline to allow Trent that semi free roll and plug the gaps behind and around him.

Advertisement