Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Their 3rd was awful, Trent stands off the guy playing ball past him, Trent didn't stop that pass, then Matip again fails to stop the cross, then VVD fails to make contact when he was trying to clear it, and then Milner is flatfooted in middle of goal , and fails to get anywhere near Trossard.

Everyone of them at fault for each part of that goal.

But before all this it's 4 on 4, and we're winning the game 🤯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I haven’t send the game today, but I still can’t understand how we haven’t just given 5 at the back a try. Robbo and TAA are natural wingbacks masquerading as full backs, and we have enough depth at centre back at the moment to play three of them.

Klopp is frustratingly rigid in his tactics. He’s built up enough credit over the years to make himself almost unsackable, but there are clear flaws in his management style that have been papered over by good results and a highly improbable number of comebacks.

Either that, or Klopp really wants to win the Europa League next season to complete the set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Salah hasn't done much wrong. He's given no support and is targeted by every opponent. He just needs someone else to give him a dig out. Robbo was dreadful before his injury and the Greek is doing reasonably OK on that side.

If a book was to be written on Klopp's time at Liverpool it would be called

Klopp: The Rise Was Worth The Fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Notice the 4 defender and 2 of our midfielders are in the picture can u guess who's missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is no way Trent is ignoring Klopp's instructions and just playing wherever he wants. That's bullshit. He is being told to move into those areas. Can you actually imagine someone going against the manager and expecting to get away with it? The same manager who sold Sakho for messing too much, subbed Salah in big games for poor performance and dropped Mane for the same reasons.

Klopp has spoken about finding new ways to exploit teams as oppositions get used to our tactics.

First it was creating through the genegress so teams sat back which prompted Liverpool developed the attacking full backs to create. Then it was having bodies out wide and force Liverpool central, which prompted the Thiago purchase and now it's moving Trent infield to have the double central creation centre. Teams evolve.

Yeah, Trent is out of form, but I hate the pile on. There is a serious pile on on him for everything, even if goals conceded are not down to him primarily. Who lost the ball today on the edge of the box for the first goal? Seemingly it doesn't matter as the player then went around Trent. So therefore it must be Trent's fault only. Against Ajax, Elliott let a runner go free and create a 2v1 but again the pile on was on Trent. There are goals which have been his fault such as the the Man Utd one and I think Napoli and they are justified but I think now some people just want to join in on the bandwagon.

The 3rd CB literally occupy that exact space they keep exploiting around Trent it also allows Trent further forward and Salah to come more central

I wonder if the issues is u then have to go 2 midfielder and we just don't have the legs for it

Even the greatest of attacking teams like Real, Barca, City, know how to see a game out, getting caught 4 on 4, and bringing on a 37 year old midfielder to play left back is not it .

Except at Anfield 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

There is no pile on as you put it. Vvd, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Salah, Bobby and Nunez have all copped just as much criticism as Trent on this thread for recent mistakes or performances. I don't know how you have come to that conclusion. I put my hand up and say I have been consistent in my criticism of him. I posted about my concerns over him last season also so it's not just a reaction to poor results as if I am looking for someone to blame. I agree he is not the only one making mistakes. I agree he is not the only one putting in poor performances. I chose to focus on him because unlike the many others in the team making mistakes or not playing well, Trent really has looked not fussed and he has looked extremely lazy off the ball. I mean Milner has looked terrible every time he has played this season but atleast it can't be said it is down to a lack of effort or work ethic. I watch Trent and I keep thinking of Paul Pogba. He gets criticism and rightly so, but it is by no means a pile on.

• Advertisement

Itll be even more depressing ne, t week against Arsenal

They are looking like us 3 or 4 seasons ago a team really going places full of pace an energy

Klopp made massive mistakes today

1. Starting Carvalho in a must win game, and he's not up to it yet, Diaz was capable of 45 minutes start him then replace him with Jota or Nunez

2. Bringing on Elliott as RCM, the right side struggand & then got to grips with Brighton, and Bringing him on opened up that, sode of the pitch straight away again, It was Brighton avenue forward all game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I was hugely disappointed in Bobby today, I can't believe he didn't pull out a no-look finish for that goal!

He's been very good this season actually, a real resurgence. You'd like to see how he'd operate in a 4231,we saw glimpses of it in some of the games before the shutdown,the deeper role might suit him with Darwin up top.

As someone said above, Klopp won't make any huge dramatic changes to either strategy or line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really didn't see that impact you're saying about Elliott in this particular case. Has happened in the past, but didn't see him doing anything wrong there today. Didn't look to me like that had any extra joy down that side than before he came on. Thought he played well enough.

Go re-watch he Don he's usual stick of not getting close enough to close down the man & not then losing the passing lane, he just gets played around so easily, They didn't create anything down the right side in the second half untill he came on

The picture one the lads posted of there 3rd goal the back 4 & and midfield are all in shot bar Elliott, as per usual he was passed by & struggling or not even bothering to struggle back

Even the Welbeck header. Just before they scored, it was Elliott strolling while they two on one Trent

Brighton's 3rd, dam that was awful, they picked it up at the back, and played zero pressure passes all the way to the goal, no one pressed or got close, embarrassing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Trent finished last season poorly and has been terrible so far this season, the team in general has been poor, but, Trent has been particularly poor. I never said he was ignoring Klopp's instructions, but, those instructions are clearly not working and are having a detrimental effect on the team and on Trent. There's no point ignoring the fact that Trent has been poor, he really should be taken out of the team for a few games for his own good. I've also been critical of VVD this season, he definitely hasn't played well and when Konate is fit we should go with Konate and Matip until VVD finds his form again. Both Trent and VVD are world class players who are in bad form at the moment, no harm to give them a break from the team for awhile.

As I previously said midfield is a massive problem now, we don't have the legs there now, it's inexplicably that midfield wasn't properly reinforced in the last couple of windows. Signing the likes of Elliot, Carvalho and Ramsey is fine, but, they are players for the future not players to be relied upon right now, they are a bit lightweight. Klopp also needs to look at himself, he's made a few strange team selections and substitutions this season.

There absolutely is a pile on. Go on any social media during or after a game or any forum and all the attention is on Trent. It's all Trent this and Trent that. The recent international break, today's game etc etc.

I agree, there have been times where has deserved criticism, and he absolutely does deserve some now, but he is also getting some when it is not deserved IMO.

A lot of posts in this thread alone about dropping him etc. Or that his attitude and 'wandering off' doing his own thing are causation. The post I quoted saying he is creating his own tactics to suit himself.

The Southgate stuff has meant he is in the news non stop the last 2 weeks. Some of revisionism involved, some realism. It's the hot topic, it's the easy topic. It's the easy pundit view and the 'neutral' wants to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Brainless press by Mo starts the whole thing!!!!!!! We're up.

A snapshot of a big part of our problems. Our first forward presser "does it for the hell of it" and often too early without coralling them in the slightest so the mids and Ds can be on the front foot. Domino effect our "high line" dropping, dropping, ending up as statues on the 6 yard line.

Don't get me going on Klopp's subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I think you are exaggerating. I don't know what social media and forums you are reading but anything I have read has not been solely focussed on Trent. On this thread alone, during and immediately after the game, there were multiple posts criticising the performances of Vvd, Trent, Henderson, Fabinho and Salah. There have been multiple calls to drop Vvd this season.

Trent has been mentioned quite alot over the last week or two simply due to England not using him and it then became the topic of discussion. In fact the majority of posts have been more about questioning Gareth Southgate's judgement than criticisimg Trent in any way. Trent actually gets treated quite well by the English media.

As for Twitter, I ignore it. It's full of lunatics and **** stirrers and I would question anyone's judgement who would use that platform to form an opinion on what the concensus is on the opinions of the fanbase on anything.

You basically have said he is ignoring Klopp's instructions though - you said

"Trent needs to be dropped, he has totally abandoned his RB duties and is just looking for glory further forward which he's not even doing now. I think Klopp has indulged him too much"

As I said it's revisionism and adding to the pile on. A few bad games this year and all of a sudden he was poor for a few months next year and sure next thing it will be this year and last year. I

t's funny that I remember Trent being absolutely outstanding in the FA Cup final, or Villarreal in the CL semi final for example. Do they count towards finishing last season badly? The Wolves game? The Everton game? Or the charity shield game this season, how did he play then? The palace game, Bournemouth etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Arsenal have spent a shitload of money in recent years upgrading their squad with mainly young players. Liverpool have basically stood still. Stand still and you can easily find yourself behind. And that's what has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn't see the game.

I will say for the season so far where it in previous seasons the risk was worth the reward with TAA this season the reward has not worth the risk.

I think it's time now that Konate and Gomez are fit to change up the back line and drop/rest VVD & TAA and go with a back 4 of..

Gomez, Matip, Konate and Timiskis

It seems like VVD has made more errors in the handful of games this season than he has in the previous few combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just reading about the tragic loss of life at the Arema FC vs Persebaya Surabaya game. Overcrowding and crushing leading to an influx of fans on the field. 33 years after Hillsborough, its hard to still read about such events happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just following the story this morning

Let alone Hillsborough, from listening to and reading the many accounts from the Champions League final, things were very close to disaster there too, and that was only weeks ago.

Proper crowd control cannot be taken for granted, a lot of people in relatively small places have inherent dangers, and if they are mismanaged things can become disastrous very quickly, as history should have taught us by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Essentially, Liverpool's story under Klopp is proof that you can lightning in a bottle and compete against anyone if you get the right group of players.

But ultimately, a lack of proper refreshing and funding of the playing squad always catches up.

Fergie's Utd (and then Abramovich's Chelsea) pulled away from Wenger's Arsenal for the very same reason.

The idea that Trent, Alisson, Robbo, Van Dijk, Matip, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah, Firmino are all still mainstays from our CL winning team, and many were here a year or 2 beforehand, is mad. That's not saying some of those still aren't massive players, but you can't bleed a set of players dry.

Klopp's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness in this scenario. Loyalty. It makes players do superhuman things, but it also causes you not to refresh things at the point where it's needed.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Exactly. The idea that a large group of people in a confined space can be "controlled" with tear gas is barbaric

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

VVD is lucky he's not english, would be getting a much harder time of it for how poor he has been this season. Trent needs to be taken out of the team. Obviously in hindsight it's easy to say but after all the talk with the England stuff maybe yesterday would have been an easy day to leave him out. In the summer i couldn't understand way Mane would leave but looks like he could have timed his exit perfectly now.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eh would he? Maguires been shite for ages now and pundits just ignore it

Fans are another matter of course

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Maybe Sky/BT have been quiet on Maguire. But he's been slated elsewhere. Talksport seem to have something new most days. Maybe I mean more football fans and journalists in general. Probably it's liverpool fans i've seen being most critical. Almost like everybody else hasn't realised how bad he's been this season. I don't know if he's thinking too much about the world cup or what. But it's been quite a fall in standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

You can call it revisionisim if you want, but, I remember saying the same thing towards the end of last season, teams were targeting his side and getting joy out of it, it's one of the reasons we've been conceding first in most of our matches towards the end of last season and this season. You remember him being outstanding in the FA cup final, I remember him being poor in the first half resulting in chances that Chelsea really should have scored from., he improved as the game went on and finished strongly, against Villarreal away he was poor and was also poor in the final. The team as a whole didn't finish the season well ( the last 6/7 games). We were getting results but, performances weren't great. It was understandable after a long season. I did comment on our drop in performances and about Trents performances at the time, as did others, but, things have really spiralled this season.

• Advertisement

There's a clip of Roy Keane last season live on Sky where he basically said he was told to 'talk Maguire up' and not be criticizing him on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

You know what lads? You know what would cheer me up right now?

One of those auld United humiliations I was kinda starting to take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

-wrong thread-

Klopp is very arrogant, he for sure knows of all the talk of Trent and Milner, but has the opinion '' I know best'' so continues to allow Trent the freedom, and will bring on Milner for no other reason than to spite the naysayers, and it backfired, as Milner allowed Trossard all the space he needed to score, while if Tsim was left on the pitch he'd no way get that space.

Klopp is seeking a '' I told ya so'' moment from Trent and Milner , but its not coming

Looks like City are going for the record today, could be 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City will walk the league. May as well hope they hammer all the other contenders for top 4 at this stage.

It hits you, that time when it all goes down hill, happens in a flash, Federer was fine at Wimbledon last year, competitive until he got injured, now he looks old on the court and retired, happens in the space of a few months, that wall that hits you, Milner is looking like he's hit it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

In the last few seasons Man Utd had the consolation when City beat them that it hurt our title challenge so they were ok with that. Not today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool's decision makers need to take a serious look at the Etihad today.

Rodri out.

Dias and Laporte benched.

They can still do that because the squad is endlessly freshened. Haaland and Akanji in the one summer as genuine threats to be in their best team.

We've Henderson or Milner to replace Fabinho.

We'd be scared for our lives without VVD and Matip (present Virgil form accepted).

• Advertisement

I take your point, but Milners decline did not happen over night, and Federer doesn’t get kicked every time he plays tennis. Federer is still a very good tennis player, probably better than most, but he can’t compete with the top players and his body is breaking down, that is why he is retiring. Milner is still amazingly fit, but he just isn’t good enough anymore for a top team, and he is being asked to do to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ahhh, that's better!

Savour that for a few hours. Will probably be back to reality soon enough.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It’s hard to take pleasure in this when you consider they’d just do exactly the same thing to us the way we are playing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m at the point now where I’m just enjoying seeing Haaland trying to break all the records this season, he’s a joy to watch and we’re not competing with that this season.

Perhaps we could go deep in Europe again if we get a player or two in the January window. But as for the league, it’s going to be like 2017/18 where you just have to look on in awe at Man City. Despite the financial doping, I have a lot of begrudging respect for what they’ve built. Money doesn’t guarantee success, it certainly makes everything a whole lot easier, but you have to spend it wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's quite simple really, we haven't been spending enough money. It's the beginning of the end imo. The next few years will be a limbo...we've left it too late to catch up.

i think Klopp wrung the last drop out of our squad last season. Competing to the last moments of the season on 4 fronts was just too much. It’s a testament to how good our players are that they stayed the distance last year. But this season has shown that they passed their peak and too many are now on the way down at the same time. It happened to MU, Arsenal and Chelsea in the past, only MU and MC have been able to sustain at that level, and win, over an extended period. There is no way a single player, even one of Bellinghams quality will bring us back up to that level again. There has to be major investment on a sustained level with the addition of 3-4 top quality players if we are to compete again with City. Will FSG sanction that level of player purchase?

• Advertisement

Haaland is at 2 goals per 96 mins, Salah has 2 all season.

Nunez 1

Haaland has more goals than touches 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Exactly this. It was exhausting constantly hoping for someone to do Liverpool a favour when playing City, only to be usually disappointed. This season it's already a relief seeing City beating our rivals for top 4. Last year we were relying on everyone to do something against City, this season we're (by now, anyway) hoping City take care of everyone else.... the latter is much more probable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Get used to it - I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The good thing about this season is it's so so so so long, and form will go, from will come. We need to start putting chances away, and we need to start Nunez, Firmino is form player, so he needs to start also,

4-2-3-1 needs trying, and the back four can sit deeper, with Trent having no need to get forward all the time. Front 4 is more than capable of winning games, if we keep clean sheets.

If there was no World Cup he'd have the most goals in a season record beat by New years day at this rate

• Advertisement
Advertisement