Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

His defending has never been his strong point, but, it's been atrocious this season and even towards the end of last season, yet, some still refuse to see this, implying that it's all part of Klopp's plan, surely to God Klopp can't be that naive to believe you can have a full back play like that and expect to be successful. How can anyone expect other players to constantly cover for him and still be expected to fulfill their own roles aswell. Trent either needs to improve his defending or be dropped. Give Gomez a few games there, defensively he can't really do much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thaigo & Fab don't have the legs to help out the full backs in that set up ,

If you go with them Fab & Thaigo as a two you need a 3rd CB in my opinion so the full backs have cover,

Its the same reason Chelsea always play Jorghino in a 2 but with 3 CB's , he doesn't have the legs for a 2 infront of a back 4

It depends , Its not the actually winger or his ability that causes Trent worst issues, Its when the winger get help & they play short one twos around him that he is getting caught , He is worse at defending space more so than actually defending one on one,

The trick will be to make sure Martinelli doesn't get the help to play them quick one twos but it'll be difficult as Zinchenko & even Jesus will drop over towards him to out number Trent,

surely to God Klopp can't be that naive to believe you can have a full back play like that and expect to be successful

Rumour has it Mr Naive, aka Jurgen Klopp has been doing it for a number of years now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We had a much more mobile midfield than we currently have, plus Trent wasn't defending as poorly as he has been recently. That makes a huge difference to what Klopp tactics were in the past, the midfielders are no longer able to cover for Trent and Trent's defending has gotten worse. It's not working at the moment, maybe when we have a more mobile midfield that can cover for Trent he can go back to his free role, but until then we have to look at changing tactics and trying something else.

Also Klopp is not above criticism, no manager is, they all make mistakes from time to time and it's ok to point that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love to see a formation change tonight. Salah is just totally ineffective in the current formation, its just not realistic to think Salah can still play the same role for the 7th year running. Even Ronaldo transitioned from a winger to more central, we saw it with Mane he was like a new player playing through the middle. Worryingly though that could prove bad for Nunez though and might become apparent its a RW we needed not a CF.

Its a huge oversight from Klopp ,Stevie Wonder could see we where going into the season even before injuries with a problem with legs in midfield , especially given the availability problems of players ,

From a tactical stand point it looks like 3 CB is the easiest way to solve our right hand side issues ,but I'm not sure Klopp is willing to change shape ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''As to whether Klopp will move away from his tried and trusted formation remains to be seen but something is needed to give the team some fresh impetus during this difficult period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A formation change only really works if the 3rd midfielder actually plays as a 10, and not as a side midfielder. Eg Firmino.

If Elliot starts as the 3rd midfielder, he might just end up dropping into the same positions he would regularly in the 4-3-3 as the RCM.

Likewise, Carvalho. I'd like to see him playing as the 10 tho, and not lost out on the wing. He's a small guy so can get lost out there on the wings.

What other options are there for a 4-2-3-1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don’t see any reason we can’t play a 4-4-2 with both of them up top. It’s actually a great pressing formation when implemented effectively and having an extremely direct and powerful forward like Nunez combining with the more elusive and skilful Salah is a very complimentary partnership. It could also get Trent into the right midfield/Beckham role too where he’s obviously more suited, with Gomez competing with Ramsay for the traditional right back slot.

We’re all just guessing though. When Klopp says he’s changing the formation, it’ll probably be a very subtle tweak like playing two 6s and a 10 instead of one 6 and two 8s.

Also, no harm taking Fabinho out of the side tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd have no issues with that after the other day, he looked leggy as feck, mind you being half way around the world during the week would do that to anyone, he was on Brazil duty wasn't he?

Not making excuses for him, just the way it is...

I would id play Hendo as the 6 & go Thaigo & Arthur either side , not much pace there but what can we do,

I love Jota but Nunez HAS to start, what the point of him if he can't play home games to Rangers

He's looked leggy with a couple of months now. He is prone to it, but that's generally in the second half of the season. It's worrying that it has happened so early. It's like he came back to pre-season still tired and never got his fitness back.

I want Nunez to start too. But would also like to see Jota too. I think only one can start though, unless Salah is rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Buying Haaland was a no brainer, but we stupidly allowed our principles to get in the way, preferring to pay Nunez way less, but pay 85m for him.

I have no doubt whatsoever that City will get back every dime and more that they will have invested in Haaland over the next 2 or 3 seasons, plus maybe a CL and more league titles.

Also Pep allowed this guy to put ball in net, and nothing else, while Klopp is trying to turn Nunez into Firmino

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Surely Nunez starts tonight? A golden opportunity to get his confidence up playing at home to a glorified pub team. I watched Celtic destroy Rangers a few weeks back realistically Liverpool should be putting 5 or 6 past these.

You have to feel for Fabinho he's gone from playing with 2 work horses that had all the legs in the world in Hendo and Gini to part time Thiago and a crocked Henderson. The supporting cast aren't in his sort of level at all, midfield is just a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Do you think City paid and are paying for Haaland what has been reported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With the already disclosed agent fees etc added in, his transfer cost was around the same or a bit more than Darwin's anyway. Add in a much higher disclosed wage (and probably a fair chunk on top via some other means, given we know Mino was looking for a lot more than even the 350k a week), and the costs are just not comparable.

Its incomparable, he also has a release clause in 2024 so can go off to Spain if he wants

Haaland was never an option ,

Can only imagine his real wage & his Dad got paid mental money to ,

Remember this is Man City , Kompany's fake Limousine service ,wasn't there talk they paid B.Silva wife a wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've a feeling when that time comes, that - if he's still dominating - City will do what PSG did when Mbappe was out of contract and destined for Madrid, and simply make him an offer he can't refuse. Like Mbappe, he'll have all the leverage in the world to get previously unprecedented terms - especially as Pep will likely be off around then, and City will be eager to keep some continuity into the next era I'm sure.

I think he'll move on eventually, but I could see him there for 5 or 6 years maybe, and then go to Spain.

Carra talking of the fear I mentioned, people losing their s h it around Haaland, and only making it easy for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

You can't attribute things that were never on the table as failures. The player showed no interest in Liverpool. He turned down loads of massive clubs. City didn't pick him off a shelf. He spoke to every club in Europe and he picked his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And they paid Pelligrino twice

Absolutely mental amount of Rangers fans in Liverpool tonight by the way. Massive group travelled without tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

4-2-3-1. Jota and Nunez start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kelleher & Ramsey on the bench.

That just leaves Robbo, Ox & Naby in the physio room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Good to see a different approach being tried and hopefully Nunez gets his first 90 mins under his belt. A win along with an away win v Napoli would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arthur missing though. Might be just no space but wonder if that's an injury.

Curtis Jones also missing, he apparently re-injured himself after most recent bench appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

he chose the wrong club? what club should he have chose then? he'll have at leat 4 prems and probably 2 champs league by the time he leaves which will definitely not be "2 years"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ox and Naby in the physio room, which is just how we like it!

Happy that Fabinho is dropped tbh. He's leggy and could do with the break too. A few more could/should be in the same boat, but at the same time they could do with playing themselves into form.

Interesting the formation change. Klopp has to try something. It's odd to see the 4-2-3-1 / 4-2-4 without a natural connector from midfield to attack. I wonder if it will be Diaz or Jota in there? Can't really see Salah or Nunez doing it. Mane quietly was able to do that role, along with Bobby being a natural at it. I've a feeling it will be Jota as he kind of did similar while at Wolves and upfront with Jimenez in a free role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Probably Jota in that role that is suited to Bobby, but I can see why Bobby is rested.

Fab hasn't been great this season, and got chewed out very publicly by Klopp at the weekend. Whether he's a cause or a victim of our midfield woes I don't know, but we do need more from him.

Just seen Ban Davies making his Anfield debut tonight, he's gonna have a stormer ain't he?

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Minutes silence perfectly observed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goalllllllllllllllllllllllll

Beauty of a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BAng!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Cracking strike

• Advertisement

Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Good lad - has had his attitude, talent, ability and worth questioned by every w4nker with a keyboard, microphone or a phone over the last fortnight, that's the fvckin answer lad!

Nunez is like a Clockwork Toy

Easy to wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some player...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He tried to stop a quick free kick - hardly a wind up situation.

There are a few w4nkers who don’t seem to understand why the questions were asked though.

Nunez started well looks like a footballer tonight

You can see he still thinking about it a bit much off the ball,

A first half goal would do him wonders

Nunez is very involved anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Be nice to see VVD get one tonight - the fume in the away end would be mighty!

Find it odd that Diaz has the free role and is roaming a lot. He is picking up the ball in the right wing at times, and lot of central areas. Nunez is moving too.

The only one that seems to be rigidly stuck to his position is Salah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement