Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ardent wrote: »
    I guess I'm a lone voice here but for me TAA can have no complaints about getting dropped. Bar a few good games in recent weeks, he's been pretty sh*te this season.

All the others are much better defensively and that's probably what England needs more than anything. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Reece James claiming the RB spot in the tournament - his all round game is immense.

A fairer assessment is he was ****e along with the rest of the team during our really poor spell. He was tired. Unfortunately that seems to be the critical time for picking the England squad. Southgate had said he was out a long while back, and TAA had a stunning game that weekend straight after the announcement. One game it seems and previous form counts for nothing. He was decent for the end of the season. England don’t seem to play with a wing back and prefer a flat back four. So unless TAA converts to midfield, he might struggle to get a place in that defence.

I guess I'm a lone voice here but for me TAA can have no complaints about getting dropped. Bar a few good games in recent weeks, he's been pretty sh*te this season.

All the others are much better defensively and that's probably what England needs more than anything. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Reece James claiming the RB spot in the tournament - his all round game is immense.

Stats suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say it's likely enough that both James and Walker will play... Walker at RCB, and James as Wingback. Think Walker might be better defensively at times, at least when he's played given a more defensive role, but wouldn't say the others are though.

I'm not sure taking the whole season into account is all that relevant in the comparison of players... he's been brilliant for years, was poor for a few months, and has been great for the last 2 or 3 months again. And he offers options none of the others do. If you're picking 3 RB's, it surely makes sense to have a bit of variety in what they bring.

As said by everyone though, it's disappointing and frustrating for him, but it's also great that he'll be well rested and ready to go for the start of preseason. No harm at all to have Konate training and playing between VVD and Trent right from the get-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Konate, like Mo, could well end up going to the Olympics which would be a disaster for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

People forgetting Trent had some absolute mares of performances this season. He's good for an error most games, and crucially his errors lead to chances for opposition. Think he even did it on last day of season against Palace, but open to correction.

He should be going instead of Trippier, but he's 3rd choice as RB behind Walker and James. He's not a good enough defender (not a popular opinion im sure). England will need a RB who can defend first and foremost, as there will be multiple better sides than them.

Hopefully the rest will do TAA good, and he will bounce back an even better player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Once Trent doesn't have his confidence dented by not getting picked, I'm personally delighted he's not going.

Being dropped from the national team kick-started his return to top form this season. In the 3 games after that break, he came back to set up goals against Arsenal & Leeds and scored the winner against Villa. He was MOTM in the Arsenal game, and also the win against Man Utd. I can't remember off the top of my head, but probably got a few more in between as he was nominated for PL player of the month too.

I think he does seem a like a player who is confident anyways, but he should be determined to prove Southgate et al wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Delighted Trent will get a good rest anyway but I think England or more precisely Southgate is absolutely mental not to take him. Thought he was arguably Liverpool's best player in the last 10 games of the season. Either him or Mo. Think he's actually been very good defensively ever since the error from the header in the first leg against Madrid. Pity that came in a high profile game for him.

I only wish the Scots left Robbo at home as well.

Is he definitely not going?

Guardian reporting its not decided yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Comparing the fullbacks...

For example, James is a fine player, but saying he's a great defender playing in a Chelsea back 5 with 2 holding midfield players in front, and comparing him to Trent this spring playing in a ropey Liverpool side with Reece Williams beside him, and Curtis and Mo 'protecting' him from midfield is comparing apples and oranges!

Now, it may be that Southgate will play some type of conservative 3-4-2-1 system, and play both Walker and James in largely defensive roles, but in that case I'd imagine Trent would offer a lot in a RWB role just bombing forward, more then James I'd suggest.

Like I say, I don't really care, but it shows the difference between Southgate and top coaches IMHO, Trent is better off at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's probably an element of subconscious ego in it, like Pep, doing the unexpected in the hope it comes off and you're hailed as a genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Trent was tired and was poor for a few games, absolutely.

but people might be forgetting that our system almost dictates, particularly without Henderson, and without Fabinho for some of his bad run, that Trent is exposed more than a lot of full backs.

People raving about Reece James in the CL final. yeah, he was fine. but Chelsea didn't exactly open up.

Trippier, the same. he's forever in a team that is notoriously pragmatic.

Walker gets exposed occasionally, but his pace is frightening. which is why in the team that a forward thinking, progressive coach would pick, it would be between him and Trent for the RB spot.

the fact is that Southgate simply doesn't see the RB position as any sort of focal point for creativity. it is simply part of his defensive structure. so to be honest, there is no point in him bringing Trent. you only use him if you want to play with a bit of risk.

Southgate ain't going to do that, despite all the talent he has. it'll be pragmatism and set pieces for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Imagine how good Trent would look in a back 5 with two holding midfielder's

James is over rated ,

Defensively Trent has better numbers than all 4 this season , he is basically being punished for not having a senor CB beside him for 3 months, Once Philips found his feet Trent was back to his best,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Maybe James, Walker & Trippier can be considered to be better defenders than Trent, maybe, and that is Southgate's choice. But surely in a 26 man squad there is enough room to be include him! Does he really need to bring all 3 instead?

Fair enough if he plays 3 centre backs with Walker one of them and James the RWB but surely if they are struggling to break a defensive team down and need more creativity he would want to be able to turn to Trent rather than Trippier. I just cant understand how he can leave him out.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Being dropped from the national team kick-started his return to top form this season..............

Likely in an effort to reclaim his spot.

Hopefully he doesn't get overly bothered that his England career under Southgate might be over.

Maybe James, Walker & Trippier can be considered to be better defenders than Trent, maybe, and that is Southgate's choice. But surely in a 26 man squad there is enough room to be include him! Does he really need to bring all 3 instead?

Fair enough if he plays 3 centre backs with Walker one of them and James the RWB but surely if they are struggling to break a defensive team down and need more creativity he would want to be able to turn to Trent rather than Trippier. I just cant understand how he can leave him out.

I heard a rumour Tripper called Southgate before his move to Spain & asked him would moving aboard effect his England chances Southgate said no ,

Tripper then went & won the La Liga and Southgate feels he must be loyal to his word ,

The feeling is it will be Tripper's last tournament & Trent will be called up for the World cup next summer in his place ,( obviously if fit & in form)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd be cynical and hope that England have a mare of a tournament and that goals leak from their right hand side and we can chalk off this nonsense about trent not being good enough to even get into the squad let alone start.

No harm from a Liverpool perspective however, long few seasons for the lad now, a summer off to recharge the batteries will do him no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

For Southgate on the one hand he has a ready defence of his selection:

Walker won the PL
    James won the CL
    Trippier won La Liga

Up to game day 36 it looked like Liverpool would struggle to get CL football next season.

As I said in previous posts, TAA not being picked is a win for us as we get a rested, full pre-season, fingers crossed fully fit TAA for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Is this confirmed about Trent or just a rumour?

Ye can rest assured the red portion of Merseyside isn't overly bothered about Trent not being in the squad so I'm not sure why so many in here seem to be tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

thumb_88625_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpg

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Ye can rest assured the red portion of Merseyside isn't overly bothered about Trent not being in the squad so I'm not sure why so many in here seem to be tbh.

It's bit odd that you can't understand why Liverpool fans would want to see Trent do well & achieve his own dreams ?

Personally I want all our lads to do as well as possible for themselves in football & life,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's bit odd that you can't understand why Liverpool fans would want to see Trent do well & achieve his own dreams ?

Personally I want all our lads to do as well as possible for themselves in football & life,

Not really, one can understand that whilst wonder why ye seem so bothered about it, I've already mentioned that I hope "Hopefully he doesn't get overly bothered that his England career under Southgate might be over" wrt Trent himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

air enough if he plays 3 centre backs with Walker one of them and James the RWB but surely if they are struggling to break a defensive team down and need more creativity he would want to be able to turn to Trent rather than Trippier. I just cant understand how he can leave him out.

Southgate isn't thinking of 'struggling to break them down'.

he's only interested in cover for how he sees football. and he doesn't see football as the RB being a primary creative outlet. Klopp does. Pep sees his full backs as integral. but not everyone sees football like them.

thumb_88625_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpg

Maintenance to aisle 3. Maintenance to aisle 3 please.

Not really, one can understand that whilst wonder why ye seem so bothered about it, I've already mentioned that I hope "Hopefully he doesn't get overly bothered that his England career under Southgate might be over" wrt Trent himself.

I dont think anyone is so bothered. I think the vast majority of fans would be happy if he got a nice break and headed into next season feeling like he had a point to prove, extra motivation maybe. But at the end of the day this is a forum about Liverpool football and if we cant express our opinion as to why we think the England manager is wrong not to pick one of our players for a tournament then whats the point of a forum? I thought it was a place to discuss football.

I couldnt give two sh*es about Man City but I have discussed a lot with people about how crazy Guardiola was to not start Rodri or Fernandinho in the final, doesnt mean I was so bothered about it

SlickRic wrote: »
    Southgate isn't thinking of 'struggling to break them down'.

he's only interest in cover for how he sees football. and he doesn't see football as the RB being a primary creative outlet. Klopp does. Pep sees his full backs as integral. but not everyone sees football like them.

That is absolutely true but what I cant understand is, in tournament football where you can pick a squad of 26 and you already have 2 full backs in James and Walker who can play the way you want why would you not bring a different option just in case.

It is very conceivable that they may not be able to break down a stubborn defence and it is not as if they have a De Bruyne type player who can control the game in the middle of the field. Why would they not want the option of turning to one of the best crossers of the ball instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I heard a rumour Tripper called Southgate before his move to Spain & asked him would moving aboard effect his England chances Southgate said no ,

Tripper then went & won the La Liga and Southgate feels he must be loyal to his word ,

The feeling is it will be Tripper's last tournament & Trent will be called up for the World cup next summer in his place ,( obviously if fit & in form)

Trippier has been brilliant this season, him missing out would be more puzzling than Trent tbh.

I think TAA will make the squad.

I can see Walker taking Maguires spot as CB and Southgate going with 3 at the back.

• Advertisement

I dont think anyone is so bothered.........

I think a few seem to be, to be honest.
    That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I would love it if TAA gets left out, for a few reasons.

image.png

1) A rest and full pre-season has obvious benefits for Liverpool.
    2) He'll be so driven next year to prove how good he is. He's that type of character.
    3) Leaving out the top English chance creator in the PL in the last couple of years will hurt England's chances of success.

Southgate could really benefit Liverpool by leaving him out. England managers are so motivated by fear of the opposition rather than planning how to do damage. It's a sad but beautiful thing that really inhibits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They're not bringing James Ward Prowse either, they're actually gonna end up with Kane taking corners again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They're not bringing James Ward Prowse either, they're actually gonna end up with Kane taking corners again...

LOL.

Wasn't Trippier their main route to goal in the WC, onto Maguire's big noggin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im glad Trent wont be going.

But I can see why some are annoyed.
    Southgate took the armband off Henderson a far better leader than Kane.

Now wont pick the best attacking RB in the world.

Its a lack of respect towards Liverpool players.

But Trent not going is good for us. I hope he isnt picked.

I think TAA will make the squad.

I can see Walker taking Maguires spot as CB and Southgate going with 3 at the back.

Nat Phillips to get a wildcard selection!! :pac:

Seriously though he is the stereotypical England CB, being selected would be the icing on the cake to his season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd certainly be a lot more upset if Trent and Southgate were Irish

Carlo Ancelotti rumoured to be going back to Real. That would be a big dent in the Everton project.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

The Athletic's credibility is going to take a hit if they get these calls wrong. The fact everything they report is taken as gospel is a bit mad. Have they gotten any other huge calls of note wrong?

Trippier surely gets picked because he performed so well at the world cup, and he can cover left back.
    Like everyone has pretty much said Trent doesn't suit Southgate's system.

The ruling that you can replace a keeper if they get injured should in my opinion mean picking two should suffice. But it's unlikely anyone will have the balls to do that, especially Southgate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

nazmoalex wrote: »
    The ruling that you can replace a keeper if they get injured should in my opinion mean picking two should suffice. But it's unlikely anyone will have the balls to do that, especially Southgate!
    The 24 national teams involved in the tournament are required to register a squad of up to 26 players – of which three must be goalkeepers

Rule was changed a few years ago. Wasn't Niall Quinn registered as a keeper for Ireland before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is there any DVD out there which shows the run to the final in Madrid including the Barca game, and also footage from the fan park? Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

The rule has been brought in for the Euros. But you're spot on, teams must register 3 keepers. Seems silly if you're allowed to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

SlickRic wrote: »
    the fact is that Southgate simply doesn't see the RB position as any sort of focal point for creativity. it is simply part of his defensive structure. so to be honest, there is no point in him bringing Trent. you only use him if you want to play with a bit of risk.

Southgate ain't going to do that, despite all the talent he has. it'll be pragmatism and set pieces for the most part.
    I don't care if Trent goes or not, but Southgate just not having any use for him doesn't hold much water for me.

International Football is made for having a Plan B as it gives managers of teams like England unbelievable carte blanche on who they can pick.

For that reason I honestly can't understand Southgate picking 3 similar RBs. Why not pick two of Trippier, James and Walker and bring Trent as the final one, to be used as a wildcard if necessary?

I mean when the chips are down in the quarter final or semi final and they need a player to change a game, Trent is one of the few transformative talents that he has at his disposal.

The fact it's even a debate about whether he goes is frankly ludicrous to me regardless of his inconsistent form. It's the type of small time thinking that has prevented England from reaching the heights they've been capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Patson Daka and Raphina linked today. The Daka one is apparently a “done deal”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The little bits I've seen of Daka, I really liked.

Hard to judge how he'll adapt, when you see how good Taki looked before joining, although I know he had a tough situation landing into the squad in the middle of covid.

That'd be an exciting one though, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Nat Phillips to get a wildcard selection!! :pac:

Seriously though he is the stereotypical England CB, being selected would be the icing on the cake to his season!

I wonder has Philips an Irish granny anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I don't care if Trent goes or not, but Southgate just not having any use for him doesn't hold much water for me.

International Football is made for having a Plan B as it gives managers of teams like England unbelievable carte blanche on who they can pick.

For that reason I honestly can't understand Southgate picking 3 similar RBs. Why not pick two of Trippier, James and Walker and bring Trent as the final one, to be used as a wildcard if necessary?

I mean when the chips are down in the quarter final or semi final and they need a player to change a game, Trent is one of the few transformative talents that he has at his disposal.

The fact it's even a debate about whether he goes is frankly ludicrous to me regardless of his inconsistent form. It's the type of small time thinking that has prevented England from reaching the heights they've been capable of.

This is it exactly. Its Tournament football...at some stage later in the competition you're probably want something different to break down the better teams..as England found out in the last WC free kciks and set peices can only get you so far. If Southgate hasnt learned from past experiences that's on him. Bringing 3 very similar RB's is overkill.
    Ive never seen Tripper, Walker, James put in crosses like trent does...scores goals like trent does, (do any of the other three score the winner like trent got against villa this year?? not a chance!!) take quick corners like he does!!!
    Personally I hope he goes because he deserves it. (of the three id actually leave walker at home)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Zambia don't appear to be the ACON, so that's good.

If those two actually happen that would give a pretty strong front six.

Mane 29 (Jota 24) - Bobby 29 (Daka 22) - Salah 28 (Raphinha 24)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I didn't realise that Daka was a central forward. For some reason, I thought he played wider against us in the CL games and in that pre-season game. Maybe he just likes to drift to the sides.

The forward positions would be fairly stacked next season with Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota, Daka. Origi is surely off at the least. Shaqiri will probably want to leave too, with Elliot taking his place in the squad. Daka in for Origi would be nice, as much as a risk that Daka is.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Liverpool may be targeting Sancho. But of course, that could be dependent on someone like Mane leaving as we know there is never a big incoming without a big outgoing at the same time. Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota, Daka, Sancho would be very stacked.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Daka was a central forward. For some reason, I thought he played wider against us in the CL games and in that pre-season game. Maybe he just likes to drift to the sides.

The forward positions would be fairly stacked next season with Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota, Daka. Origi is surely off at the least. Shaqiri will probably want to leave too, with Elliot taking his place in the squad. Daka in for Origi would be nice, as much as a risk that Daka is.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Liverpool may be targeting Sancho. But of course, that could be dependent on someone like Mane leaving as we know there is never a big incoming without a big outgoing at the same time. Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota, Daka, Sancho would be very stacked.

Sancho will go to United ,

Its the top side in England where he is certain to start week in week out & will get paid more than he would for us ,

Just on Sancho any time iv seen him form England he looks miles behind Sterling as a player ,, I haven't seen him play much for Dortmund

• Advertisement
Advertisement