Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

What's with the Aaron Ramsey rumours? Are they all nonsense? Why would we ship out a 30 yr old Gini to bring in a 30 yr old Ramsey? Seems to be totally against the transfer approach in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

What's with the Aaron Ramsey rumours? Are they all nonsense? Why would we ship out a 30 yr old Gini to bring in a 30 yr old Ramsey? Seems to be totally against the transfer approach in recent years.
    Shipped gini due to his requests for longer contract length.
    Could be that Ramsey will settle for shorter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Connavar wrote: »
    Shipped gini due to his requests for longer contract length.
    Could be that Ramsey will settle for shorter?

No chance in hell Ramsey is joining,

It was completely out of character for us to sign Thiago last summer due to his age, profile, wages but he is a higher level than Ramsey ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't care if Trent goes or not, but Southgate just not having any use for him doesn't hold much water for me.

International Football is made for having a Plan B as it gives managers of teams like England unbelievable carte blanche on who they can pick.

For that reason I honestly can't understand Southgate picking 3 similar RBs. Why not pick two of Trippier, James and Walker and bring Trent as the final one, to be used as a wildcard if necessary?

I mean when the chips are down in the quarter final or semi final and they need a player to change a game, Trent is one of the few transformative talents that he has at his disposal.

The fact it's even a debate about whether he goes is frankly ludicrous to me regardless of his inconsistent form. It's the type of small time thinking that has prevented England from reaching the heights they've been capable of.

i agree with everything you've said.

i just don't think Southgate sees it. honestly.

i think he sees Trippier as a similar level of delivery, but can cover LB.
    i think he sees Reece James as better defensively than Trent, and physically stronger.
    i think he sees Walker as too experienced and set in the team to not go. and he can cover in a 3 man defence.

i just don't think he sees Trent as elite, and I don't think he can coach a system that plays to his strengths. you say Trent would be a plan B, and I agree, but in essence, what will end up happening, is he just slots in at RB, in the same system as, say, Trippier was playing in, and you'll just get slightly better crosses. the whole thing about Trent is that Klopp has tailored his system, in part, to give Trent the space and freedom to be the team's creator. Southgate hasn't the foresight or ability to do that, therefore, the huge advantages that could be had from playing Trent won't be seen. so really, it's almost pointless bringing him.

it's a failure of coaching and management.

EDIT: rumours now seem to be that he's in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool centric here but this is not ideal for the club. He will only be going as a squad player and train every day etc without playing. Won't get a rest and will be straight back into pre-season then.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1399733421992296449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Trent apparently in the England squad now.

And Stevie G in frame for the Everton job as Ancelotti is off to Madrid. Had to check it’s not the 1st of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A lot of lads losing the plot over the last few days for nothing it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Trent apparently in the England squad now.

And Stevie G in frame for the Everton job as Ancelotti is off to Madrid. Had to check it’s not the 1st of April.

Everton??? After Rangers! Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gerrard being linked with the Everton job, you literally couldn’t make it up. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

And Stevie G in frame for the Everton job as Ancelotti is off to Madrid.

Am I the only one who thinks Gerrard to Everton would be just excellent?

Cos either:

a) He's not cut out for the Premier League yet and Everton will spend another year or two (or three depending on how quickly things move) in transition whilst they give him a chance, watch him fail, and then have to bring in someone else with different ideas and who wants different players.

or

b) If he is cut out for the PL and does well there, there's a very good chance he'll join us as soon as Klopp leaves. Thus depriving them of a good manager, and to rub it in, he'll be flouncing out of their club to go across Stanley Park to us.

I suspect it's not going to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Would they offer it to him, would he accept it if he did, could we accept it if he did? There's just too much drama here.
    I think it's best we all ignore it in the hope it never happens.

Nuno will take the Everton job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That's possibly a click bait story to incite the natives.

Edit: Having read The Athletic article I think they are softening up the Everton supporters to accept an alternative manager.
    Everton are now thought to be drawing up a shortlist of possible replacements although no contact has been made. A shock name in the frame is Rangers manager Steven Gerrard, although the former Liverpool captain is not the only candidate.

Others include Rafa Benitez, David Moyes — who would be considered unlikely at this stage — Paulo Fonseca, Erik ten Hag and Roberto Martinez.
    I honestly don't see Gerrard, Benitez, Moyes or Martinez taking the job. Fonseca was previously linked with the role but said he wasn't interested and Erik ten Hag is supposed to be joining Tottenham.

My tip for the job is Eddie Howe - nice guy who won't rock the boat and recently pulled out of taking over at Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

More of a chance of Gerrard at Wolves, but tbh I think he stays at Rangers for another year.

Don't mind if he goes there. Might keep him away from the Liverpool job when Klopp goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another Red Bull player, why don't we just buy their scouting network at this stage? Keita and Taki so far are a bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Another Red Bull player, why don't we just buy their scouting network at this stage? Keita and Taki so far are a bust.

The way Red Bull play is quite similar to the way we play. The players should be able to adapt to our system quickly and then that just leaves whether they can step up to the extra pressure and play in a higher calibre league.

Kieta clearly has talent but his injuries have never given him an opportunity to get a decent runoff games together.

Taki is a very good player as well. You can see that in his performances at Salsburg and Japan but I'd guess the move during covid made settling in much harder on him. I'd definitely keep him around to take up Shaqs position next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Liverpool > Bournemouth

Red Bull > Liverpool

Simples.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

6 wrote: »
    Don't mind if he goes there. Might keep him away from the Liverpool job when Klopp goes.

When things get desperate enough you'll consider any option. Just look at Utd.

Because the players still need to develop.

It's easy to say to just buy the players before RB do alright. If that was the case, Liverpool would have signed Mane, VVD etc years earlier. But they were not ready to he signed at that stage in their careers.

A raw 19 year old is not going to get much game time, experience and development at current Liverpool. Is current Daka of 2018/2019 going to start ahead of 2018/2019 Firmino? Every week? Absolutely not.

Its a lot different for a 19 year old starting games every week for RB for 2/3 seasons getting that valuable development and game time and then moving to Liverpool a lot further on in his development.

• Advertisement

Delighted Coady got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Unfortunately it's not that simple, these 18 and 19 year old's that RB and the likes sign don't become world beaters at 18 and 19 years of age. But in a team like RB they are given time to develop and their mistakes are not blown up in their faces like they would be if they were lining out for Liverpool, City, UTD for example.... Imagine we signed Daka 2 years ago and then give him a run of game ahead of any of the front 3 back then. If we don't win and Salah was on bench there would be hell to pay and he would unfortunately take the brunt of it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nuno will take the Everton job

Looks like he's in talks with Palace.

The clubs follow a similar football philosophy and it isn't surprising that they scout similar players. Liverpool choose not to take the risk in signing the younger players who may not develop their potential.

In February/March 2015 a young Dayot Upamecano was rumored to be joining Liverpool/Man Utd for a fee of around £1M. Man Utd were favourites to sign him at the time. That summer he signed for RB Salzburg.

Last week, Klopp spoke of how Liverpool had been keeping track of Ibrahima Konate since 2017. That was before he signed for RB Leipzig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Daka is the right buy,or gnabry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not sure Henderson should be there after missing last 16 games of our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Daka is the right buy,or gnabry

Very different ends of the scale there! Gnabry would be awesome, but he'd also probably cost the best part of 70+ million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Speak Now wrote: »

They lack a lot of seniority in the middle though, so I get it.

Would expect him to start the tournament on the bench anyway, with Rice or Phillips starting alongside Mount. Good option to be able to bring on, and maybe be in good shape to start a knockout tie in 3 weeks.

Speak Now wrote: »
    He'll bring a wealth of experience to their midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He's also got more to him than the captain and Southgate for that matter.

Sterling goes for Gomez and what's Southgate's immediate reaction, kick Sterling out of the squad. In steps Henderson to sort it out and get the two players together to put it behind them, not Southgate, not England's captain Harry Kane. It was Jordan Henderson smoothing it all out after his teammate was assaulted, he could have easily got his back up and went full on defend your team mate to the hilt but no, the whole team is more important. Showing actual leadership, nipping any conflict or potential future dressing room unrest right in the bud. He's also the one that organises the PL captains and players when they wanted to make statements around wages, ESL etc.

An actual leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fromvert wrote: »
    He's also got more to him than the captain and Southgate for that matter.

Sterling goes for Gomez and what's Southgate's immediate reaction, kick Sterling out of the squad. In steps Henderson to sort it out and get the two players together to put it behind them, not Southgate, not England's captain Harry Kane. It was Jordan Henderson smoothing it all out after his teammate was assaulted, he could have easily got his back up and went full on defend your team mate to the hilt but no, the whole team is more important. Showing actual leadership, nipping any conflict or potential future dressing room unrest right in the bud. He's also the one that organises the PL captains and players when they wanted to make statements around wages, ESL etc.

An actual leader.

If aliens invaded, I'd nominate Jordan Henderson to lead the resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Liverpool players horse, Mr. McCann, finishes third at Leicester in its first race. Apt finish place at an apt course!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

dogbert27 wrote:
    Liverpool players horse, Mr. McCann, finishes third at Leicester in its first race. Apt finish place at an apt course!!

Wonder who they named it after, or did they name it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Liverpool > Bournemouth

Red Bull > Liverpool

Simples.... :)

This post bothers me more than it should. Could you not have made it an arrow rather than the greater than sign as Red Bull is not better than Liverpool (unless looking for a mixer for your vodka)

Wonder who they named it after, or did they name it at all

Named after Liverpool's press officer Matt McCann. It's trained at Michael Owen's yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

This post bothers me more than it should. Could you not have made it an arrow rather than the greater than sign as Red Bull is not better than Liverpool (unless looking for a mixer for your vodka)

oh is that what that meant? I honestly couldnt figure out what he was on about saying Red Bull is greater than Liverpool. :confused:

See us linked to Saul from Atletico today ,

Not seen much of him lately but he used to be highly rated , what you reckon would he be a good Gini replacement ?

dogbert27 wrote: »

The UK guys syndicate Hendo, Milner, Ox, TAA, Robbo & Lallana and the horse is trained at Michael Owens yard.

Not seen much of him lately but he used to be highly rated , what you reckon would he be a good Gini replacement ?

He said last week that he wanted to leave so it's likely journalists putting two and two together.

• Advertisement

His release clause was increased to €150M a couple of years ago when Man City were sniffing around. He's in contract negotiations with Atletico so there are plenty of <insert name of club> transfer stories (Juventus, Man City & Man Utd have featured in the last few weeks). He's also a player that Barcelona have first option on as part of the deal that saw David Villa go to Atletico years ago.

Talisman wrote: »
    His release clause was increased to €150M a couple of years ago when Man City were sniffing around. He's in contract negotiations with Atletico so there are plenty of <insert name of club> transfer stories (Juventus, Man City & Man Utd have featured in the last few weeks). He's also a player that Barcelona have first option on as part of the deal that saw David Villa go to Atletico years ago.

Is he good ?

Is he good ?
    In a word 'Yes'.

He can play anywhere in midfield and has also played at left back on a few occasions so he's very versatile. He doesn't get forward as much from the central midfield role but that is due to Simeone's tactical setup. He harasses the opposition players as you would expect from a Simeone midfielder, he intercepts the ball rather than tackles players, he can ping passes, he has a sweet left foot that can find the goal from the edge of the area.

Ramos telling all Madrid players not to take pay cuts as Madrid only want to use them to pay Mbappe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Is he good ?
    Talisman wrote: »
    In a word 'Yes'.

He can play anywhere in midfield and has also played at left back on a few occasions so he's very versatile. He doesn't get forward as much from the central midfield role but that is due to Simeone's tactical setup. He harasses the opposition players as you would expect from a Simeone midfielder, he intercepts the ball rather than tackles players, he can ping passes, he has a sweet left foot that can find the goal from the edge of the area.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fabovethelaw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2FSaul-Goodman-300x185.jpg

• Advertisement

When Saul first burst onto the scene he looked like a new star player for Spain in the making, with potential to match your Iniestas and other luminaries from that generation.

There was a few insane goals, with one against Bayern in the 2016 CL semi-final perhaps the most famous:

My impression is that he didn't really kick on, and has stagnated a bit.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1400045850387230726?s=19

I'm not sure how Salah hasn't gotten a nomination for POTY this year, without him this year we'd be down in the bottom half. I think Kane should win it though.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1400050920537403396?s=19

TAA was way off his usual standards for a large part of the season but his recent performances definitely fresh in people's minds. Mount gets this one I think, very good in a struggling Lampard team and then improved again under Tuchel. Saka second for me. Both have played far more games and minutes than Foden and have contributed more than him to their respective teams.

Listening to a couple of pods and the English journo’s are crediting Southgate with TAAs return to form by dropping hour from the England games earlier in the season saying that was the kick in the ass TAA needed.

Listening to a couple of pods and the English journo’s are crediting Southgate with TAAs return to form by dropping hour from the England games earlier in the season saying that was the kick in the ass TAA needed.

I don't think that's totally off base.

I'd give Trent and Klopp credit first, but getting excluded from a mid-season squad is a reasonable step to take for an off form player, both from the perspective of having the best squad, and from the perspective of managing the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

how foden got in ahead of mo is staggering,but then,mo hasnt been nominated for 3 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement