Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zero reason to get rid of Curtis Jones. He's a good squad player for sure and crucially qualifies as club trained for European squads as well as being homegrown.

I like him. Hope he pushes on now after that injury, we need more midfielders of his age, not less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Without going into everything in your post, Arsenal and Spurs are bad sides to compare our net spend against. Arsenal in particular have spend significantly more more than us in the last 5/10 years. Sky Sports had a graphic up last week when Klopp came out his comments against City, PSG and Newcastle. From that graphic our net spend in Klopp's reign is a total of £170m (just over £24m a year) of compared to City's £585m over the same period. Arsenal in just the last 5 years have a net spend of £440m and Spurs £335m. To put it in greater context we lie 12th in the premier league in terms of overall spend since Klopp came in.

Now obviously we have been very successful in that 7 years so you could say the money spend compared to other teams has not hampered us, but I don't think anyone can truly believe that if we continue to be outside the top 10 when it comes to money been spent to rejuvenate the squad every season then we cant be expected to be anywhere near challenging for anything year in year out. FSG model is what is and its not going to change, but once Klopp leaves that is not going to be good for any fans expecting success on the field. No top manager is going to hang around with financial restrictions like that so we will be back to the Rodgers type appointments, young hungry managers out to prove a point. We might get lucky and unearth the next Klopp with that policy but the chances are slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's not good enough & he will raise cash that's enough ,

The whole midfield needs revamping , honestly there not one of them right now that you'd be worried about losing bar maybe Thiago but he has his own problems in being fit for selection ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ultimately, if you don't think FSG's model will work, that's fine and understandable. It has worked to date though, so I'm not going to be too critical of it nor am I going to predict how we perform in 10 years time under it. If a top manager can't work under those constraints, then FSG will have failed if they hire that manager. Our strategy is pretty clear to all, people know what they are signing up for.

This has spiralled a lot, my original post was that FSG are not to blame for a lack of midfielder this summer. That's my opinion based on everything we know. Nothing has changed my mind on that. We tried to sign a midfielder, failed as he picked another club, we didn't attempt to sign another. That's not on FSG.

Sorry I hadn't been following the thread so i hadn't gone through all your posts. I was just picking you up on the spending compassion, it's just one of my pet peeves when people compare our spending to the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc when we haven't even been in the same ball park as them over the last 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm beginning to think its time for Trent in midfield, his confidence at RB looks rock bottom. I was always against it but its evident the midfield can no longer cover the gaps he leaves and we need to utilise his creativity.

• Administrators Posts: 54,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dunno why anyone is still talking about Bellingham tbh, that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think he a cracking talent but for the 150m he'd cost, 2/3 midfielders would be a better spend. Even if we manage CL football this season he'll still have his pick of clubs and ridiculous wages we won't offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m not writing off the Bellingham signing just yet. At the minute, it defies all logic that he’d choose us, but if Klopp has managed to sell him on the club, his draw is absolutely massive. He’s the only thing we can offer that the likes of PSG, City and Madrid can’t, but it’s a pretty great thing to be fair.

When I say I’m not writing it off completely, I’m under no illusions that we’re favourites for his signature or anything like that. I still reckon there’s only a 15-20% chance of pulling it off. Without Klopp though, it’d be a very firm zero. Bellingham seems infinitely more mature and level-headed than your average 19 year old footballer, so I do think that money won’t be the only thing that matters to him, as important as it still is.

If we can’t have Jude, there are other players out there like Enzo Fernandez or Moises Caicedo who look almost as promising. I just hope the club actually has alternatives in mind this time because the Tchouameni situation was unacceptable and should never happen again. Missing out on your top target is not a valid reason to forego a signing altogether, especially when you’re relying on a 36 year old and two professional hospital patients who’ve dabbled in football as the backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup... like, I can somewhat understand waiting if you think you can get your top target in the next window instead - like we did with VVD - but with Tchouameni, he moved somewhere else, so was instantly out of the equation. To not be prepared to move for another choice under those circumstances was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Much on all as I would like Bellingham to join, I think we need 2 new midfielders at least so it that means missing out on Bellingham to get 2 quality midfielders if not of his quality, so be it. I think 1 midfielder is not enough, knowing our luck he'd probably become another Keita!

I see Paul Scholes reckons Klopp and Hendo are after having some form of falling out. Whether they have or not I didn't think the likes of Scholes would come out and publicly say something like that. It's gutter journalism 1o1...

I think the most realistic solution to our midfield problems at this point is to invest all our money into time travel and bring back Alonso and Mascherano in their prime.

They’d probably just sign for City though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not sure how Scholes could have an idea of what is going on internally at Liverpool tbh

Hendo always talks about Klopp as a semi father type figure so not seeing much in this story...

Its Klopp is trying to keep his 3 midfielders fit so they make the world cup ,

Jurgen biggest weakness is his loyalty to his players ,

• Advertisement

And it was a total random guess too, like, the full quote is; "He seems to have fallen out with him or carrying an injury. There is something not quite right there."

What an idiotic thing to come out with, two entirely different things, and you've no idea which. Like, it's not a mystery, we know both Fabinho and Henderson have fitness issues, so not a surprise that they're being rotated with each other with a game every few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It Paul Scholes why does anyone care what he thinks?

True enough, but it's more just the way these things can catch on. Wouldn't be too surprised if this is a thing people start saying is an issue before long, with the origin of it removed. It's a dumb thing for anyone with a platform to say, without a shred of evidence for it, knowing the way things snowball.

Post edited by martyos121 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah it's pretty obvious that both Hendo & Fab are not at full fitness and Klopp is managing their times on the pitch.

Hendo has completed only 90 minutes 3 times this season

Fabinho has already played in 17 games this season for club and Country without a full pre season and has played nearly twice as many minutes as any other midfielder on the squad.

Both Fab and Hendo also played over 50 games each last season for Club and Country without a proper summer break and and early pre season it is bound be in the legs now.

• Advertisement

Seems like Tyler Morton is having a great loan at Blackburn like Elliott did when he was there.

Doesn't matter what league it is, that's the dream goal for most.

It's not that I care, but it's kinda reckless to just come out and say something like that. He has absolutely no basis for it but yet said it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm just telling myself all of our problems are the World Cup's fault and once it's over we'll be fine.

Helps me sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Listening to a podcast tonight (bbc football euro edition) and they were saying La Liga managers are complaining that players are getting injured with the number of games (we know that) and on top that, if a player on field gets even the slightest twinge, they are asking to come off or not play at all. Training intensity has also fallen off a cliff edge. All because they don’t want to be injured for the tournament. It’s worth asking ourselves if that’s happening for some of our own players right now.

What worries me is we have so many injuries before the World Cup and likely to have more to deal with after it. Top tier players in the January transfer window will be premium price as every team will have similar issues and we don’t appear willing to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And yet we've been banging on for ages how relatively few of our players will be playing in the WC

The club has no doctor since August over seeing all the injuries and the doctor that was there came up from the academy as a temporary replacement for the doctor that left in 2020 during the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've been asking that for weeks, something seems wrong with the amount of muscular injuries we're getting. We're missing a series amount of games, be it treatment or the training regimes,something is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The Reds have been strongly linked with a move for Jude Bellingham next summer but there is also another Borussia Dortmund star who they now have their eye on

• Advertisement

Winning our 3 league games before the World Cuppa has got to be our goal now, I'm sure it's a target for everyone, we need to get 3 wins on the bounce, for the first time this season, two at home, Leeds, Southampton, one in the middle is Spurs away, a nice game that, as it's winnable, they're not all that.

Our goals scored and goals conceded are deserving of far more points, 4 draws are a killer, and that Forest game. Hard to blame Klopp for the absolute demolition of Forest tactically, on another day it's 3-1 at least. Weird game.

Lets not forget 9 of them goals where in one game,

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I didn't see the Forrest game that way I have to say.

Ponderous possession and caught on the break continuously in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Rumors on Twitter of Michael Edwards going to United. I'd be sick.

Everything seems to be going badly for us currently ,

On the pitch & off, lets not get into the joke of not having a doctor,

He could possible be United best singing since Fergie left,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't think there is anybody reliable saying Edwards is going to Man United. This must be the 3rd or 4th different club he is rumoured to be joining in the last year since the gardening leave was put in place. At the time, it was reported that he wanted time away from football.

Chelsea obvious put a big effort into getting him, but he said again that he wanted time away from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Was just going to post this. It’s brilliant, simple, but brilliant. But unfortunately those it’s aimed at will be too busy reading The S*n and practicing their vile chants.

• Advertisement

A few of the papers reporting today that Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea are all interested in signing Naby as a free agent next summer.

Thiago still out by the looks of it.

An ear infection probably takes more than a few days to clear up.

Its just constant bad new with Thaigo such a shame , Just the 52 games missed in a little over 2 season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

David Squires is a genius imho.

His work is often hilarious, insightful and profound...and sometimes all three at once.

The recent one regarding the famous Lowry painting from the 1950's (?) is well worth looking up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Would be fine if he was the only one, but, we have a shed load of them; Keita, Ox, Jones & Matip, plus Jota, Kellaher & Konate starting to miss a lot of time too and that's before you even think of Henderson and Fabinho who both pick up their fair share of injuries and haven't looked right at all this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jesus, that cartoon hits hard. That man is a genius.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Oh so witty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wonder is there a bit of a rift between the medical team and Klopp?

To be fair it's Ox & Naby they could be out again after their first matches back and the medical team would be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Melissa Reddy piece, says suggestions he's close to deal with United are fiction & she knows everything United related these days

• Advertisement
Advertisement