Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's easy to get drawn into the position of blaming the players, or manager, but our stats are the same as when we were winning week in week out last season. Same old 75% possession same 25 shots, same 14 corners, the only thing that is different is the goals, we just aren't scoring. Again tonight, we had it all, and lost the game. Last season we win this 6-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Xander10

You still haven't said how you rate him? Value for money?

Personally, I think Liverpool needed to be breaking the budget to get the likes of Rice not Nunez.

There is nothing for Klopp to fix, unless he wants to try for 90% possession, 50 shots, 25 corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The owners won't get rid of the players we all know that,

Nobody likes it or wants it but if the squad is not seriously revamped then what other options do we have

We have had the same issues since Fulham on the opening day and nothing had been done to stop them,

Every manger has a cycle its life

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's actually frightening how pedestrian the midfield looks. Fabinho has been the only shock for me out of the lot, his form has dropped off a cliff and he looks like he can't get his legs moving quicker than a brisk walk. The rest of the midfield are holding true to form. Keita, Ox and Thiago still sicknotes. Henderson's legs going, Milner's legs gone. Jones still looking like he will never be good enough and Elliot, who I think it is a little early to judge but has been at best a mixed bag which is to be expected as he shouldn't have to play so many minutes.

I would rather wait to judge Nunez if and when we ever get a functioning midfield playing behind him.

I have been told already that previously the manager has been backed up to now on money available for transfers and that we can only spend what we earn. With that in mind does anyone honestly believe we are going to go out and buy a minimum of 2 if not 3 midfielders, in their prime and who fit our system, over the next 2 windows? Forget Bellingham at this stage. I doubt we would ever have the money for him anyway, but if we did, what good is he when we clearly need a couple more?

I don't see a quick and easy way out of this rut unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So sack Jurgen in the morning and bring in who? And what will anyone do with a squad you yourself said is finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jurgen would be well within his rights to walk away from this bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've said loads on previous posts. I rate him as raw, loads of potential and a high ceiling. Strong, fast and works hard.

He is the absolute least of our problems but he's an easy target to blame due to his cost and is unfairly compared to haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

On a list of all the club’s problems this season, Darwin Nunez is so far down the bottom of it that it’s not even worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Lol I was just waiting for this post. We really should be top of the league given your interpretation of stats and the conclusions you draw from them 😂

• Advertisement

That isn’t true.

It is obvious that even though teams have less possession, they are getting chances to score. Liverpool on the other hand are getting chances to score and not taking them. The team does not appear to press like it used to an the midfield is malfunctioning.

Stats can tell you the what, but they don’t always tell you the why. The why, is what Klopp and the players need to fix.

I never said sack him in the morning but if we don't back him then what's the point I should keeping him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

This new formation is awful

We look like we are massively disjointed

Our best way of scoring is a set piece

We are dreadful to watch as a supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Xander10

I wouldn't compare anyone to Haaland.

A few easy games before WC. Let's see him show a bit more and prove you right and me wrong

Starting Elliott on Trent & Gomez side needs to stop

Bringing on Milner when ur chasing a game e needs to stop

If Fabhino isn't playing as a 6 then there no point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s my fear. He’s not completely faultless in all of this, to be clear, but there’s absolutely no way that he’s sending the team out to play so within themselves like they’re doing at the minute.

If any sort of rot has set in within the dressing room, I’d be terrified of Klopp walking away from that and as you said, he’d be completely in the right to do so.

There isn’t one available manager in the world that will improve this team. We’re well and truly f**ked if Jurgen has enough of us.

A genuine question, what is he sending the team out to do?

What are we trying to achieve? Looks like **** **** at a wall atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hes not sending them out to give a hospital pass back to the goalie 4 minutes into the **** game

What is our attacking plan?

Apart from hope for set pieces, we are a shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I doubt Klopp is the kind of man 6 months after asking for a contract extension and been given it will walk away.

The World Cup break will be a good time for him and his back room team to sit down together and put their heads together.

That may actually be looking to bring in a fresh voice with them on the coaching side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Liverpool lumping the ball up to Van Dyke in the penalty area for the last 5 mins was pretty depressing. League Of Ireland stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In the context of this season, our 2 matches against Man City have been so fcuking weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Disgusted with that, head up so far this season probably because I didn't get to watch alot of our games, difficult to be positive after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well if I kew that......

Stats saying we're doing well, possession and shots etc, but we're very passive and pedestrian in possession. Can't help but think we're struggling for freshness; midfield is one paced anyway, but with the schedule we're on its badly exposed. In possession, our play is poor, ponderous and little interplay between players, we used to set up little overloads and set plays, and they don't seem to be working now. We're having to resort to throwing Virgil up top and hitting him long FFS, we never did that as long as Klopps been there

Do we need to change tactics, or a different emphasis from the coaching team, possibly. We're trying to do what we were doing with Mane and the likes in the squad, and it's not working. Like, for example, this evening, Bobby was shocking, so flat, and there seems no alternative.

We also have to get to the pace of the game much quicker. We're consistently starting slowly and conceding first. This should be addressed by the coaches, it should be a simple fix (concentration/attitude/organisation), it takes little skill to be at the pitch of the game from minute zero rather than minute 10 or when we fall behind.

I saw a stat earlier that we lost 11 players from the squad during the summer and added only 4, 2 of whom (Artur and Ramsey) have contributed zero. We're being out ran, out fought and to be honest out thought by ordinary teams this year. We need reinforcements in January, but we have to pick up some points before that.

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

First off, Leeds deserved it.

But from being there this evening...

I'm no closer to figuring out exactly why things are so wrong. But it's quite obvious that a lot of things are.

They can't get the front 3 balance right. Salah is insane, but he needs help. You have to see him live to believe the sharpness of the man.

The midfield is so hesitant. Thiago barely played a pass forward. Gomez's awfulness in possession was glaring - he had the ball more often than anyone, and Leeds made sure it was the case.

Nunez. It's bizarre. As I said, the front 3 balance is off, but no joke, his finishing in the warm up was remarkable. Easily the best. I couldn't believe what i was seeing.

If Klopp didn't deservedly have credit in the bank, questions would be asked. But he needs help from his board.

Top 4 might well be gone though.

The last goal was comical, so many Liverpool players, Milner was on the guy trying to cross it, Jones shows up to '' help' interfere , guy just smashes it in there, of course it falls perfectly to Banford, who miss-controls it, then it falls perfectly to Summerville, all written in the stars. But yea the team that got played off the park deserved it eh, while team who should have scored 7 are crap.

Nunez had two one on ones, where he could have simply gone around keeper and walked it in, but messed up both chances. Not to mention the countless saves the keeper made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

For not taking our chances..... we deserved to get 'caught' at the end.

Leeds could have scored 4 on another day. They kept at us in fairness and we kept up with some comedic style defending.

We could have scored 4 or more- but didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Come on, do you watch much LOI?

I have watched a lot this season, including every derry city home game live, and we have never resorted to lumping the ball into a CB standing in the opposition box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I quite like him but I'm convinced he'll be sold within 2 years. His touch is genuinely terrible (at that level) and his passing isn't any better. Think he's one of those players who will score some goals but just won't make the team better overall.

That said the team is completely malfunctioning at the moment so he couldn’t have arrived into a worse situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thought his passing today was actually quite good. His touch is poor sometimes, and then absolutely immaculate others. So all the talent and tools are all there... I'm not too worried in the longer term tbh. On current form, he's about as mercurial a player as I've seen, which I'd kinda expect to become more consistent towards the top end as the team eventually settles, and he settles into his role, and the country. Think he, as with a lot of our players, is just a bit in his own head right now.

Could you imagine the stick Trent would get if he defended the cross like Milner did for the winning goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched the highlights on MOTD, couldn’t face it last night, it’s shocking how slow Vvd is to get back into position, often you see Leeds players sprinting past him on the counter, awful for the second goal as well.

The drop off in performance level from himself and Fabinho has been incredible.

The likes of Gomez and Jones are rubbish but they aren’t the elite players who are supposed to be leading the club, they are squad players getting minutes due to injuries.

Whereas VVD and Fabinho are supposed to be the leaders setting an example and that’s not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

I thought it was BS that players were “saving themselves” for the World Cup….not so sure now.

On Darwin, he might score goals, but he’s making us worse. He’s been terrible to date. Some of the things he’s doing poorly, like not passing, have nothing to do with a settling in period.

Klopp needs help. If the board held fire last summer because they were waiting on the right person (Bellingham), then their plan will soon be up in smoke because there’s no way Bellingham will go to club not in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard to know how we have got to where we are, obviously not reinforcing midfield in the summer was a massive mistake most of us here saw coming, but, the performances of some senior players has been dreadful, VVD, Fabinho, TAA, all very poor and look disinterested at times and Gomez keeps making stupid mistakes. The players seem so lethargic, I wonder is Klopp in an effort to get more out of them, overtraining them, as some look drained and lack energy, that's our biggest problem, the team seems completely lacking in energy.

We're in a hole at the moment and seem intent on digging ourselves deeper by giving away soft early goals. The squad needs a complete break from football and training during the world cup, but, I fear Klopp might actually step up the training, he only seems to know one way if things aren't working and that's to try harder, sometimes a total break is better to recharge.

Even top 4 is looking increasingly unlikely with each passing game and it could well be beyond us by the time the WC comes around, if not already. At this rate, after the world cup, we will need title winning form to give ourselves a chance at top 4.We definitely need to reinforce the midfield in January with players that will bring some bite,pace and urgency to the midfield, currently everything is at walking pace and so predictable, but, not convinced we'll sign anyone of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭numbnutz

Its fair to say a rebuild is whats needed.Not basing it on the last two results but the team looks tired and mentally knackered.Like Ferguson at United its time to move on and ship out the obvious deadwood and start again.

Not an entire rebuild, but like City, we should be signing more players to address the weaknesses we clearly have. They did that in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

VVD is 100% minding himself for the WC to me. He missed the Nation's League because of a horror challenge and isn't putting himself at risk at all in games. This is probably his last chance at a WC as well so it's obviously in the back 9f his mind.

Fabhino is either carrying an injury or is just running on empty. He hasn't gotten anything else to give.

• Advertisement

Looking back it was probably Fergies strongest trait, He had no problem moving on big players for the better of the team

To clarify when I say Klopp is done, it's not me wanting or thinking he deserves to be sacked

It's that I have no faith in the owners to give us the resources to over haul the sqaud & it's quite clear that Klopp is not getting the response out of the current players, So he'll be the one that takes the fall

I don't think Klopp will be sacked, not unless things get even worse and there's no sign of improvement. I think FSG are too cute to sack Klopp, they know Klopp is virtually irreplaceable and loved by the fans, so won't risk the fans turning on them. I think the most likely scenario is that Klopp will walk at the end of the season, especially if he knows the club aren't in a position to back a complete rebuild of midfield in particular.

I think if Klopp does leave next summer and we have no CL football we will struggle to attract the standard of players we need to rebuild and to get back into CL again. What happens in January will have huge consequences on the club going forward. The club either brings in midfielders in January to help push for top 4 or sit on there hands and hope we somehow make top 4, I have a feeling nothing will be done as the " right players " will not be available!

When a manager is forced into a formation change, an approach change it's a sign of weakness, Klopp at the moment is all at sea, changing this, changing that, because of outside pressure, from so called experts. In hindsight he should have stuck to his guns and played our way through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

So of those who think VVD is minding himself for the World Cup ( and I’m kinda on that camp, though not fully), do ye think that when he comes back from it, we’ll have the world class defender that we had before Prickford destroyed him?

I’m not so sure we will, and that saddens me, but I find it hard to accept that a world class player can just switch off and deliver the dreadful performances he has given this season, and simply turn it on again when he hooks up with the Dutch team in Qatar. Pre-Injury, I had him up there as perhaps our best ever defender, which says a lot, but I don’t see how he just coast’s through games, gets ridiculed and would then be able to just say “I’m deciding to play again now”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Why did we buy the likes of carvalho, nunez etc, buy proven Premier players like trossard, Maddison, neves and bowen and they hit the ground running straight away, we can't be waiting for likes of elliott, Jones or carvalho to come good or nunez to adapt to English football, we will lose top 4 and back into fighting for it again while unable to attract the best

I don’t think that Klopp would change his entire game plan because of outside experts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Saying the same thing over and over again but this current crop are done,hendo,elliot,fab and even thiago aren't good enough,gomez shouldn't get near the first team,nunez is a dud

• Advertisement

That's part of the problem, we can't afford proven premier league players, so we're buying the likes of Carvalho and Elliott hoping they can make the step up immediately. I don't have a problem with buying them, but, they should be bought in addition to a few proven senior players, they really should be fringe squad players who only play in cup games and come on for the last 15/20 minutes of games we have under control. It's not fair on them to expect them to come in and consistently perform at the required level every week. Keeping so many sick note players also means the likes of Carvalho and Elliott end up playing more games than originally intended. We need to get rid of all the midfield deadwood in particular

Midfield needs a radical overhaul; Keita, Ox and Milner are out of contract next summer, Thiago should also be let go, good player but misses far too many games, would rather have a lesser player who is available to play. Jones not good enough, should be let go on loan in January with a view to selling in the summer. I'd keep Henderson for his leadership qualities, but, he'd be a squad player. Fabinho, I would hope will rediscover his form in the next few months. I think we need to bring in 3 midfielders who can drive on the team in the next 2 windows.

Advertisement