Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I actually think closing passing lanes & allowing people play around him is his biggest weakness, Same as Jones

Only two weeks ago he said the below ,& went on to say Pep & his Dad are giving him work to do at home outside of training to get better at it,

“Defending is a big thing I have to improve on and I have been working on it so far this season.

“It’s going to take a while to get used to it and master it but I’ve had chats with the gaffer and the coaching team on how I can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His defending does need to get better, he's not brilliant on one-v-ones at all. But his harrying is very good. As I said above, he's the only one playing with high intensity in the midfield. For me, that makes up for his defensive nous right now, given how static the rest of our midfield is. And then going the other direction, he's excellent on the ball, and is building a really great relationship with Mo, and to an extent trent.

Both he and Nunez have obvious flaws, but imo their strengths overtake the flaws and ultimately we're better with both in the team - as long as the game-plan is there to use their strengths and mitigate their weakness (which i think has increasingly been the case with Elliott as the system has been tweaked).

My own view of Elliott is the way he runs & kind of scurries around he looks really busy & like he is doing loads but he never actually makes that final yard of a press , He never gets close enough to stop the pass,

Even on the ball he looks greats but more often than not ends up just playing a simple pass which is fine & keeps the ball but there are lads who are more defensively capable who are also able to play them balls,

He has the ability on the ball we see glimpses of it but rarely trusts himself to open up & be as creative as can be but that will come with time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Repeat of last seasons final in Real Madrid CF (ESP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Revenge

Great draw tbf. Hard but a proper knockout draw.

I'd rather play Madrid over two legs than another final again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd rather someone else try knock them out.

But I'm very happy that if we have to play them, it's not in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I would have preferred someone easier but this year they seem to be raising their game for the big occasion- we have to beat them eventually right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd rather play Real Madrid over 2 legs than in a 1 off game. And at a full Anfield under lights. Real got some slices of luck in their knockout games last year, with some big comebacks late on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Delighted with that draw. Not because I'm sure of a win, I absolutely am not, but we bloody owe them a good beating.

Happy to see City drawn with Leipzig too. Of all the teams they could've drawn, Leipzig's style of play is most suited to beating a Pep team.

The point of a press is not only to stop the pass though, even just putting the passer off is enough... we do win the ball back quite often off the back of his pressing, when the pass is over/underhit, or doesn't hit its target because of the pressure.

On the ball, I just disagree, think he's one of the only guys actually even getting into the position to receive the pass in the first place, and has a good balance of incisive passing, or playing it out of trouble. Great man for following his pass and giving another option in the space that opens up. Love how he makes up for his pace by doing so many things on the move too - his first touch always sets him for his second, buying him the yard of space. There was a moment in the second half around 82 minutes, after he'd gone off, when we kept passing around in tiny spaces over by the right touchline, getting ourselves into more and more trouble as their press closed us in. We lost the ball, and lost control from that moment right through to the end of the game. I'd have trusted Elliott there to have taken the ball there and relieved pressure through either running out of danger, or playing a clever pass through their lines to switch play to safety, instead of continuing with the ever-shrinking cycle of short passes. His vision and awareness in those situations is outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hi guys, with the ticket thread gone (or missing from my viewpoint), where can a guy go for tickets on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Now Mo, keep your mouth shut this time...

Oof, tough draw... we've such a horrible record against them. We were so rubbish against them over 2 legs in our 'down' season 2 years ago, would have to hope we'll be in better shape to do better this time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Feck sake...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm just eager to see what the hell Nunez is gonna do.

Im glad it's Real though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are beatable over 2 legs and if we somehow progress we are probably favourites to win it outright. They are the one team I just don't want to face in a CL final, its a pity though we don't have the 2nd leg at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I think you're eagerness to be proved right over Elliott is a bit tiresome. Yes, he has a lot of scope to improve his defensive side of his game as most attack minded young players do. Yes, he doesnt have blistering pace, which is why he isn't being played as a winger. Yes, he is playing more than would be expected because of injuries/fitness concerns. But as a 19 year old he is doing very well and it is clear that he has the talent to be part of this team for a long time.

Would you honestly have expected a 19 year old in effectively his first full season as a Premier league player to be considered for the World Cup? I bet he would have been in contention if it was your standard friendlies coming up.

I'm not saying you are completely wrong in your analysis of his defensive deficiencies but I think your desire to be proven right is blinding you a little. IMO he actually has been one of our best players on the ball, especially in those tight areas when little triangles are played. His ball retention is very good. I dont think they are as simple as you make out. I think the fact that he makes them look so simple actually is as a result of his ability more than anything. I also disagree, I think when he is facing towards the goal he does look to play it forward rather than taking the safe option or the selfish option to shoot everytime which a lot of his alternatives do. I think he is justifiably way ahead of Curtis Jones or Ox and is giving us way more than Milner is capable of at the minute. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and will no doubt be working hard to improve every aspect of his game. So maybe lets not write him off just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Ugh.

Need some bodies in January if we are to have a hope of getting through.

I think its pretty universally acknowledged he doesn't do enough YET off the ball , I do think he never gets close enough with his press probably due to his lack of pace & he's playing on a side with space so he has longer distance to press than a Fab for instance,

I agree on the ball he has the ability i just don't think he uses it nearly enough ,He only averages 34 passes per match & his touches are very low to, 

This season in the league he hasn't been good enough attacking Zero assists, 2 through balls, 4 big chances created , 6 shots on target ,

He will grown & become a better player no question i just think right now he is a weak link for us

• Advertisement

I'm not writing him off far form it, He has a very big future , I'm just talking about the NOW that's all ,

As you rightly point out he is already better player than Jones & 3 years younger, with a year of development lost to injury

Happy enough with the draw

The club are in a moment where we don't go into the champions league looking to go far & a European adventure we go in to it looking to win the thing ,

If we can't beat Real we don't win it and can concentrate on Perm games & have some time off between games,

If we do beat Madrid it'll give us huge confidence to get number 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We've played them 6 times since and our only result against RM since the 4-0 in 09 was a draw when we were 3-1 down on aggregate going into the game anyway, sick of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

FSG are selling Liverpool, I did not see that coming!

FSG has put Liverpool up for sale.

I'm shocked tbh.

Real are the 2020's version of Chelsea when it seemed Liverpool were playing them every season in the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Where is that info coming from??

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

The Athletic have it. I guess no new shiny midfielder in January now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://theathletic.com/3770928/2022/11/07/fsg-liverpool-for-sale?source=user-shared-article

If the Chinese or other horrible state backers buy I'm done with the club. I'll never watch another game, buy another piece of merchandise, go to a game or show any interest.

FSG were good owners and have rebuilt the club from near closure. They ran the club the right way and got the fans a coveted PL trophy. I'll be sorry to see them sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Makes the lack of recent investment in players make sense. The new owners coming in will need to spend if they want to improve. FSG think they are getting out at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I know some would rather win at all costs and don't care about the rest, and I'm well aware that nobody with enough money to purchase a Premier League football club is ever going to be squeaky clean morally speaking.....but I fear nothing more than this club being turned into another sport-washing project by some oppressive regime like City and Newcastle.

Time to ditch my Boo to Saudi hat and dust off the Make Saudi Great again one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Is there any truth to this rumour about club been up for sale,mate just text me about it

I would imagine Klopp would be out the door sharpish with any oil baron owners too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Scary times. Could end up with an H & G or Glazer owner or more oil countries getting involved. Not good really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

IIIIIIITTTT'SSSSSS MELTOWN MONDAY!!!!!!

Reading the article, it sounds a lot more like they're looking to sell some shares in the club, rather than actually selling the club itself. Which is a good distinction - only the worst sort of people could afford the club outright, but selling a stake opens it up to an awful lot more options (like the deal Redbird/Redball already did for a stake in FSG).

"FSG has frequently received expressions of interest from third parties seeking to become shareholders in Liverpool. FSG has said before that under the right terms and conditions we would consider new shareholders if it was in the best interests of Liverpool as a club. FSG remains fully committed to the success of Liverpool, both on and off the pitch.”

Ugh. Very unlikely to get a seller with clean hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Can't wait until we buy Bellingham and mbappe with the completely legitimate money we get for competing in the Saudi cup (sponsored by whoever buys us relatives) in a stadium where our owner buys all the seats......

This is not a good thing.

Was reading in the paper yesterday someone saying Liverpool should sell to Norway with all the oil money there and not as bad as other oil states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement

Reading the statement its shares for investment which they have always been doing, just a click bait headline saying they are up for sale.

I thought the same when reading the actual statement but that would mean the Athletic have massively overblown it which is unlikely if they have had conversations in the background.

With FSG’s business model, city having Haaland and Newcastle on the rise, and our own squad needing investment, this is a good time to sell for them, before Klopp goes and before Newcastle really kick on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think so. The wording is sale of the club not just shares in the tweet. My guess is if someone offers to buy 100% then they'll sell.

The FSG statement reads like they'll make sure the club only goes to the correct party though.

Yup, particularly click-baity take on it by the Athletic, much moreso than they usually do. Like, they literally have the quotes in there talking about investment from new additional shareholders, rather than anything about an outright sale, but still give it that big brash eye-catching top-line.

I'm not gonna put too much stock in a headline/tweet writers wording tbh, the FSG statement points much more towards selling a stake of the shareholding.

I really hope this is the case anyway. If it actually is a full sale to some nation-state's blood money, I'm out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement