Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Enzokk wrote: »
    Seems like Gini is off to PSG and not Barcelona,

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1401479960821473282?s=20

Good for him, getting more than double what Barcelona offered. He deserves a payrise and if Qatar is willing to stump up then so be it.

I'm actually disappointed he's joining a lesser club for more money after reaching an understanding with another.

Guess that extra year of contract really was all about the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

noodler wrote: »
    I'm actually disappointed he's joining a lesser club for more money after reaching an understanding with another.

Barcelona is a spent force. They are up to their ears in debt, have the Messi stone dragging them with his salary and his age. Add in he was on low wages with us, good for him. Barcelona deserves it the way they tapped up other teams players to unsettle them. Payback's a...well you know, female dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gini’s exactly the sort of player they need to improve their chances in Europe too - good move for him and for PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

noodler wrote: »

He never had a full agreement with Barcelona from what I could see. No contracts were signed.

I also can't blame him for going for the biggest pay cheque at this time in his career. He has 4 years at the top, maybe a couple more in the Netherlands or somewhere similar. He seems to support his extended family a lot, they also seem to be close to him, and this could help set himself and them up for life and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Gini was one of my favourite players of the last 10 years. One of the most underrated players in the EPL too.
    The thoughts of him playing in a farmers league for a horrible club like PSG is sickening.
    Cash is king I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

KevRossi wrote: »
    He never had a full agreement with Barcelona from what I could see. No contracts were signed.

I also can't blame him for going for the biggest pay cheque at this time in his career. He has 4 years at the top, maybe a couple more in the Netherlands or somewhere similar. He seems to support his extended family a lot, they also seem to be close to him, and this could help set himself and them up for life and beyond.

PSG probably have a better chance of winning CL than Barca over the next few years, especially if they hold onto Mbappe. Regardless of who he'd sign for he's family will be set up for life, even though he was " lowly paid " at liverpool he was still earning far more in a week than the average person does in a year so family are probably already financially secure for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Girly Gal wrote: »
    PSG probably have a better chance of winning CL than Barca over the next few years, especially if they hold onto Mbappe. Regardless of who he'd sign for he's family will be set up for life, even though he was " lowly paid " at liverpool he was still earning far more in a week than the average person does in a year so family are probably already financially secure for life

This tbh.

One year of salary at Liverpool would have set him and his family up for life if used properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As much as I hate PSG, I love seeing this happen to Barcelona. :)

Ah sure, whatever suits him best IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A good interview with Nat in the Echo and the little things Thiago, Milner & Gini said to him during games.
    “Milly said to me when there was a headed goal (against Leeds), “You’d have headed that away.” For him to say that to me, that was a moment when I thought, “Wow” and felt so proud,” he recalled.

“For someone like James Milner to say that, that they missed having me in the team, was a huge moment for me. You look at what he has done in the game, the levels he’s reached, the trophies he’s won and just how respected it is.

“For him to say something like that was a huge compliment for me.

“Thiago would, on a few occasions, make a point of offering me praise in certain moments. Going out of his way after a goal to come over to me and say that that was from my header or my tackle. Gini did it as well.

And how being able to speak German helped playing beside Kabak.
    “If I was playing alongside Ozzy for example, he’d come to a new country and while he spoke English, he couldn’t really be loud on the pitch, so I’d have to be the loud one for both of us.

“We’d speak to each other in German because I had picked up a bit over there and he was playing over there. That helped him a bit and we’d speak in German at set-pieces so defences didn’t know who was going front and who was going back.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-thiago-alcantara-went-out-20751186.amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m not saying I’d want it to be our first choice centre back partnership or anything like that, but I’d love to see Phillips and VVD play a run of games together just to see if Nat has another level to his game or if he’s hit his ceiling already.

Nat actually looked good playing beside the likes of Kabak and Williams, so I’m intrigued to see how he’d get on with Virgil by his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure if there is much behind the Raphinha in and Kieta out to Atletico rumours but it would be a great bit of business if it happened. Raphinha could kill two birds with the one stone by being a replacement for Kieta and delivering those driving runs from midfield that we bought Kieta for and also by being Salahs understudy and long term replacement on the right wing which is his favoured position.Selling Kieta to buy Raphinha for little outlay would be a very good upgrade, definitely a transfer I could get behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’m not saying I’d want it to be our first choice centre back partnership or anything like that, but I’d love to see Phillips and VVD play a run of games together just to see if Nat has another level to his game or if he’s hit his ceiling already.

Nat actually looked good playing beside the likes of Kabak and Williams, so I’m intrigued to see how he’d get on with Virgil by his side.

To be fair, I'd look great playing CB if I was playing alongside VVD! :)

But on a serious note, yeah I know what you're saying. We'll probably see it during pre-season. Not sure how compatible they will be though as VVD facilities the really high line but Philips kinda needs the deeper line.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure if there is much behind the Raphinha in and Kieta out to Atletico rumours but it would be a great bit of business if it happened. Raphinha could kill two birds with the one stone by being a replacement for Kieta and delivering those driving runs from midfield that we bought Kieta for and also by being Salahs understudy and long term replacement on the right wing which is his favoured position.Selling Kieta to buy Raphinha for little outlay would be a very good upgrade, definitely a transfer I could get behind.

They're quite different players though... Raphina is closer to Shaq or even Mo than Keita. Keita's a midfielder, while Raph is a wide attacker that would be starting 20 yards further forward and wider than Keita would.

I'd see Raphinha a lot more of a replacement for Shaq than Keita.

I don't see Keita, Ox or Matip being sold this summer unless crazy money is offered.

It will be interesting to see what money the club can bring in from the sales of Shaq, Origi, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo & Awoniyi and maybe Minamino.

Konate brought in now I think main focus should be bring in a goal scorer the midfield is ok for one more season even with Gini going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hendo misses a penalty for England. Good job we've a few takers ahead of him at the club :D

I really can't see Atletico taking Keita, he just doesn't strike me as the kind of player Simeone signs, unfortunately I think we're stuck with Keita as I don't think any club is willing to risk taking him with his injury record, we would have to take a substantial loss on him before another club would risk taking him on. Would we be happy signing a player with his injury record, so hard to expect another club to do it.

yeah I think regardless of what we do with Keita we are taking a loss on him so the main question is how big a loss. If they could get £25m-£30m for him now Id take it because if he has another injury ravaged season (more likely than not) then his price goes down even further. Ive given up on him coming good, just cant see it happening with any consistency or longevity so reckon its better to cut our losses this summer.

yeah I think regardless of what we do with Keita we are taking a loss on him so the main question is how big a loss. If they could get £25m-£30m for him now Id take it because if he has another injury ravaged season (more likely than not) then his price goes down even further. Ive given up on him coming good, just cant see it happening with any consistency or longevity so reckon its better to cut our losses this summer.

I agree, but, what club can afford to spend 25-30 million on a player with his injury record in the hope that he might come good. Clubs just don't have that type of money now due to Covid, in a normal year we'd probably be able to offload him easy enough as some club would probably take the risk, but, unlikely now, maybe the likes of PSG, but, who else?

• Advertisement

Under the circumstances, having lost Gini as well, I'd be inclined to hang onto him for this year and look to offload next summer. Even if he's fit for 15 games, that's probably enough to get us through a post-Gini season - allowing a bit of rotation for the starting trio with himself, Ox, Jones, and Milner - and then we can bring in a proper replacement when the market and revenue are looking a little better after a season with crowds back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Under the circumstances, having lost Gini as well, I'd be inclined to hang onto him for this year and look to offload next summer. Even if he's fit for 15 games, that's probably enough to get us through a post-Gini season - allowing a bit of rotation for the starting trio with himself, Ox, Jones, and Milner - and then we can bring in a proper replacement when the market and revenue are looking a little better after a season with crowds back.
    15 games? High expectations there for a 50 million player :rolleyes:

It's his availability that's the problem, he's rarely available to play so doesn't really matter how good he is if he's not available to play. Even when he does play he rarely finishes a match so it means one sub already accounted for when he starts. Milner whose pushing on now will probably play more than him which is a poor reflection on Keita.

I'm not sure I get your point... like, obviously it's been a disaster of a move thus far. We'd have all wanted him to be a nailed on starter. But as good as he can be, his fitness problems have put paid to that. So it is what it is. As said, selling right now is particularly difficult, and we've already lost one of our core midfielders, so for this season - even if he can't do what we want him to do week in week out - we can at least use him as a good quality stopgap at times to tide us over for a more long term solution for the following season.

Fab, Henderson, and Thiago will be our starting midfield trio. Milner, Jones, Ox, and Keita give us some options to change things on the bench, and to each start the occasional match when they're fit and available. I said 15 because thats how many matches he played in last season. If he does the same - or ideally better - this year, it'll probably have been worth keeping him for the season. At this stage we just need to think of him as a bonus when he's fit, rather than someone to be relied upon.

.... we can bring in a proper replacement when the market and revenue are looking a little better after a season with crowds back.

The smart thing to do is to get the proper replacement in before the market recovers... We'll get fook all for Keita next summer either.

Augeo wrote: »
    The smart thing to do is to get the proper replacement in before the market recovers... We'll get fook all for Keita next summer either.

We'll get fuck all next summer, but we'll have more money ourselves.

I'd say if the exact right person is available right now, they might move, but failing that I have a feeling they might just want to push a year, since that's something the squad could likely withstand.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I get your point... like, obviously it's been a disaster of a move thus far. We'd have all wanted him to be a nailed on starter. But as good as he can be, his fitness problems have put paid to that. So it is what it is. As said, selling right now is particularly difficult, and we've already lost one of our core midfielders, so for this season - even if he can't do what we want him to do week in week out - we can at least use him as a good quality stopgap at times to tide us over for a more long term solution for the following season.

Fab, Henderson, and Thiago will be our starting midfield trio. Milner, Jones, Ox, and Keita give us some options to change things on the bench, and to each start the occasional match when they're fit and available. I said 15 because thats how many matches he played in last season. If he does the same - or ideally better - this year, it'll probably have been worth keeping him for the season. At this stage we just need to think of him as a bonus when he's fit, rather than someone to be relied upon.

That sounds very much like the CB situation last season, not sure if Henderson, Fabinho and Thaigo were fit at the same time last season for more than a handful of games, our backup atm consists of Jones, an aging Milner and 2 injury prone players in Ox and Kieta, so definitely think it's an area that needs strengthening whether or not Keita is sold. A lot can happen over the summer transfer window, but, if we head into next season with no addition to the midfielders listed above we could face a similar situation next season in midfield as we did at CB last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I haven't watched any of him bar the little bit of champions league football i seen him in this year. But does anyone think we could integrate Grujic back into the team to bolster the midfield.

I feel a back up defensive mid was a big hole in our squad this year. It forced Gini, Thiago and Milner to at times play that deep role.

Losing Gini is huge, but also an opportunity for Jones. And if Ox and Keita can stay fit then we should have enough in a more offensive sense. But defensively all we have is Fabinho and Henderson. And I think we all prefer Henderson box to box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

plibige wrote: »
    I haven't watched any of him bar the little bit of champions league football i seen him in this year. But does anyone think we could integrate Grujic back into the team to bolster the midfield.

I feel a back up defensive mid was a big hole in our squad this year. It forced Gini, Thiago and Milner to at times play that deep role.

Losing Gini is huge, but also an opportunity for Jones. And if Ox and Keita can stay fit then we should have enough in a more offensive sense. But defensively all we have is Fabinho and Henderson. And I think we all prefer Henderson box to box

I always thought he looks like a centre back the way he moves, but that's another chat.

I'd love him back but Klopp doesn't show any interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

If we had to sell one of Keita or Ox, who would you choose?? I think a fully fit Keita provides a better contribution to the team but lacks the goal threat of Ox.

I think ox is less fragile & he's actually done great in an LFC shirt in the past.
    Ideally I'd keep neither and I reckon we'll keep both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

..... and which 15 games?

The time you need him, he'll break down. Cull him is my opinion, a transfer and wages that could be better spent,talented though he is.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I agree, but, what club can afford to spend 25-30 million on a player with his injury record in the hope that he might come good. Clubs just don't have that type of money now due to Covid, in a normal year we'd probably be able to offload him easy enough as some club would probably take the risk, but, unlikely now, maybe the likes of PSG, but, who else?

Yeah its not an easy market but at the right price he could be sold, might be even as low as £20m which Id take as I just cant see him coming good at this stage and think Klopp should deal with the inevitable this summer if possible. His wage is reported as £120k per week so keeping him another season has a cost in itself of £6.2m. Thats a fair wedge of cash for someone whose track record of being fit is pretty terrible
    20/21 Ankle Injury Dec 20, 2020 Feb 18, 2021 60 days
    20/21 Ligament Injury Dec 10, 2020 Dec 15, 2020 5 days
    20/21 Hamstring Injury Nov 23, 2020 Dec 5, 2020 12 days
    20/21 Corona virus Oct 14, 2020 Nov 3, 2020 20 days
    19/20 Ill Mar 10, 2020 Mar 12, 2020 2 days
    19/20 Groin Injury Mar 1, 2020 Mar 6, 2020 5 days
    19/20 Angina Feb 26, 2020 Mar 3, 2020 6 days
    19/20 groin strain Jan 2, 2020 Jan 25, 2020 23 days
    19/20 Ill Nov 26, 2019 Nov 28, 2019 2 days
    19/20 Torn muscle bundle Sep 22, 2019 Sep 28, 2019 6 days
    19/20 Torn muscle bundle Aug 10, 2019 Sep 24, 2019 45 days
    18/19 Groin Injury May 1, 2019 Jun 21, 2019 51 days
    18/19 Knock Mar 12, 2019 Mar 30, 2019 18 days
    18/19 Muscular problems Oct 16, 2018 Nov 5, 2018 20 days
    17/18 Knock May 14, 2018 Jul 1, 2018 48 days

I doubt any PL club would take a risk on him as it seems the physicality of the PL are of his constant niggly injures . But I could see second tier clubs in Spain or Germany taking a punt on him if the price reflects his injury risk. We got £18m for Danny Ings after he had spent most of the previous two seasons injured, the fee reflecting the risk Southampton were taking. If Klopp has lost patience with him then they would likely take a similar approach to offload Kieta and cut losses now.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    If we had to sell one of Keita or Ox, who would you choose?? I think a fully fit Keita provides a better contribution to the team but lacks the goal threat of Ox.

I'd keep Ox over Kieta all day long, he has a better goal threat, he's also generally available more than Kieta and he counts as home grown too. Don't know what's the wage difference between the two, but, I'd imagine they're on roughly the same. Also think we could sell Kieta to a European club, but, Ox would probably be limited to PL clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I highly doubt TAA is on 40k a week he signed a new contract in 2019 and if he is he needs a new agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You just never know, He struggled to get in the England team for team Euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I highly doubt TAA is on 40k a week he signed a new contract in 2019 and if he is he needs a new agent.

Considering his age and the fact that he has never changed clubs, I'd expect him to be on the lower end of the spectrum. The best way to get a pay increase is to change employer. BUT I can't see any justification for a starting player of the calibre of Trent to be on less than Origi, Minamino or Tsimikas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Trent weekly wages is £75,000

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/payroll/2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think his brother is his agent isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Brazil's really struggling with Covid and rolling out vaccinations, why they agreed to host this when they have yet to get things under control is beyond me. Even the Japanese who are taking all the measures possible don't want the Olympics. I can't imagine hosting a major international event is Brazil will end in anything but disaster.

I'm going to have a wild guess at maybe MONEY!! :pac:

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a wild guess at maybe MONEY!! :pac:

To an extent, but the main part of it is Bolsonaro pulling off a populist move amongst his supporters. He's been pushing hard on a "the economy is open" covid-skeptic agenda, while actively falling behind on vaccine buy-ins, and refusing to allow states to make independent deals on vaccines themselves. Brazilian football support is a pretty right-wing tentpole right now. It's all very much wrapped up in politics. They're even staging the games in primarily pro-Bolsonaro strongholds to minimise impact from protests. Nothing in Sao Paulo for instance.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Poor old Nat doesn't even make the list, so must be on even less than Rhys Williams

Some reports now that the Brazil players have now agreed to take part in the Copa.

They also have to play 12 rounds of World Cup qualifiers between now and March listening to Tim Vickery.

There are 5 official FIFA double header international weeks between now and March so it looks like they will have to make two of those International breaks into Triple headers that is a serious amount of traveling for South American players next season.

Players careers will be shorted between this last season next season and the winter World Cup as well at the end of 2022 they will be nearly non stop playing of football for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

FSG really are putting the money into the infrastructure of the club that will benefit long-term.

Main Stand cost £100m

New Training Grounds £50m

Now a £60m extension to the Anfield Rd End.

On top building a winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

robwen wrote: »

If I click the link how far down the thread would I have to go to see someone say sign Mbappe,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If I click the link how far down the thread would I have to go to see someone say sign Mbappe,

Glad I can come here for a realistic discussion on Liverpool. Reddit and other social media posts are becoming a cesspit for "Mbappe 2021" or "sign Mbappe".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id say we are a few fays away from a new signing no bodys mentioned yet its all a little to quite the last few days

Gini signs for PSG 165k a week after tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ox will be kept before Keita he has provided more to date but more importantly he's English and seems to be a really personality in the squad, I don't think Keita even speaks English yet

Advertisement