Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sports Bild in Germany reporting that Bellingham will tell BVB he wants to move after the World Cup and they will honor his wish.

Also saying Liverpool are leading the race for him.

I'm guessing €100m up front with with another €50m paid over time with bounses etc a bit like the Coutinho deal we did with Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's pretty funny looking at all the pictures coming out of the England squad in Qatar. Everywhere you see Bellingham, Hendo is there beside him. He was always great at pressing, but he's taken it up a few levels now.

He might be angling for Julian Ward's job next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd be very surprised if we sign Bellingham, all the financial powerhouses will look to sign him and while I doubt he'd sign for PSG regardless what they offer, I think the rest would all be viable destinations for him, we won't be able to match them financially and if we miss out on CL football which is a very real possibility this season, then that's the end of any hope of signing him. Obviously we all think Liverpool is a more special than any other club, but, looking at things objectively, most of the other clubs linked to him are currently in a better position to get him with the exception of PSG ( poor league and not prestigious enough) & Chelsea ( club seems to be in disarray under new owner). Unless he really wants to play for us and Klopp, ( which can't be ruled out) then we are outsiders to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Will be very interesting to see what happens in terms of ownership change at Liverpool. If we could somehow secure some "ethical investment" that would allow us to spend like a club of our standing should be able to, then it would be a game changer. We could really attract top talent.

Some really top class young players seemingly on the market now that could set us up for years. The likes of Gvardiol (a much sought after left footed CB) at RB Leipzig, Bellingham, Kudus at Ajax, Caciedo at Brighton (who I feel will be one of the best midfielders of his kind in the world).

Would be amazing if we could swoop for these guys in one go, unlikely though obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lads, dont do it to yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id be letting Gomez go this summer & try get Gvardiol ,

Gomez is home grown and reasonably versatile, i'd be more inclined to cash in on Matip and Phillips.

VVD (who will be 32 next year), Konate, Gomez and Gvardiol are nice options to have. Succession planning, akin to what Madrid have been doing with their midfield.

Dream summer/jan would be Bellingham, Gvardiol and Caiceido.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Has Joe Gomez ever even kicked up a fuss about not getting enough minutes or having to play RB or anything? Because to me he looks like a model professional who knows his role, fills a home-grown spot in the squad, and has the majority of his career still ahead of him...yet it feels like there's always this idea that he needs to be sold and should never play for us again.

Lest we forget he was also the main CB partner for Van Dijk the year we won the league.

The problem with Joe is he needs a good run of games to get into a rhythm especially with holding the defensive line ,

I just doesn't think at our levle you can afford to have CB that needs that much time to get it right, Look at Matip he goes straight in and performs ,

I also think Joe would start for England if he played week in week out which i can't see him doing at Liverpool

I actually really like Joe i just think it would be best for both parties if he moves on ,

If we where not replacing him with a real talent like Gvardiol i'd also keep him

• Advertisement

I just think unless he wants out there's no reason to get rid, he's seems pretty happy to play 3rd/4th choice and maybe fight for the starting role and I think he's good enough for that role. Not many teams have a defender that good on their bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was he the main CB partner? Started that way I thought but didn't matip play a bigger subsequent role?

Irrelevant really as Matip has done it for longer, far better.

Matip played a few games and then got injured, we had barely kept a clean sheet that season before Gomez got some starts too.

Matip:

Gomez:

Gomez is one of those lads who is so naturally talented that he can be guilty of switching off. Also maybe hasn't developed other areas of his game sufficiently due to having the advantage of being really quick. He has everything in his locker if he could get his head right and develop consistency. His performance v Man City was superb.

But in true Gomez fashion he had a stinker the following weak. Its either a famine or a feast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

It's transfermarkt. Their valuations are all over the place.

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head its concentration & over thinking that kills Joe, He has everything needed to be top class just makes unforced errors ,

City game he literally had no time to think as it was so intense game & he was fantastic,

I think he needs to play week in week out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

To be fair to Gomez, his career has been hampered badly by a few bad, long term injuries. The birth cert might say 25,he's not playing like a 25 year old, I think between having to concentrate on rehab, missing out on gametime, and having to build up both mentally and physically repeatedly from very low base on more than one occasion, it's not hard to see why his development hasn't been as expected.

There are no hints about any attitude problems, so unless he rocks the boat or acts the boll1x, there is no reason to not keep him around the place. There is every chance he might catch up with where he ought to be, he certainly has the raw materials

If he's a fourth choice we need to keep calling on with recent regularoty then I'd say there's a bit of a problem.

Course that's also an issue with the other two's fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Name me a player, who is 1) a better CB than Gomez, 2) happy to be 4th choice and take his chances when they come, 3) Homegrown, 4) Versatile, 5) will integrate into the squad & style of play instantly, 6) a good mix of age & experience, 7) on similar or lower wages, 8) easy to sign on a very low fee as the club can't afford to go spending on a 4th choice CB right now.

You'll struggle.

I guess the big question is how long will he be happy to be 4th choice, will a time come when Joe wants to play ,

Although Matip isn't getting younger & injuries are hitting again so he isn't far away from 3rd choice right now,

• Advertisement

He does play though. That's why he is happy to stay in the squad. And pick up medals.

for F**K sake.

Diaz flying home from Dubai with injury setback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Starting to believe the Clickbait articles about Bellingham wanting to go to Liverpool, whether a deal can be reached is a different matter, but it is an big advantage if he wants to join the club.

Normally I’d be against Brazil here, but with Alisson in goal, I’d quite like to see him be the hero in a shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I'm torn.

Would like to see Croatia win but want Alisson to do well in the penalty shootout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I bet brasil wished they had Liverpool's other keeper in goals for the penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Based on his Toy Show performance, I hope he never gets another game for us.

Once again, Virgil’s reluctance to ever go to ground to win a tackle is shown up. Watch that Argentina goal back and the slide tackle isn’t just on, it’s a safe bet.

I’m probably nitpicking because he’s so good, but he could’ve done more there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Lacking the edge he had previously, reactions seem to be slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I guess he wasn't just saving himself for the World Cup after all. He's on the decline but is still OK for 90% of our games but time waits for no one!

I'm not even sure it's an age thing with him, it's more of a mental issue as his complacency has become his biggest weakness since returning from the serious knee injury.

The pace and physicality still looks to be there, but the hunger and consistency certainly isn't.

Heard Virgil tapped his peno gently into the keepers arms at waist height. Glad he did that for the Netherlands and not us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It was a decent enough peno and a decent save imho

Didn't see it because I hate injury duty but I heard it was soft and at a perfect height for the keeper. I always think that if it was a decent penalty, it shouldn't be saved. Either way, glad to have him out.

Diaz out till march going under the knife

Medical team are a joke , wasted two months

Disaster. That's awful for Diaz.

Wonder if there’s a really good sports physician out there with £5 billion to spare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Alisson, Fabinho and Van Dijk all heading home today.

Henderson & Alexander-Arnold or Ibrahima Konate heading home tomorrow.

Kinda sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Got to feel for Diaz that’s terrible news.

Can’t believe Brazil didn’t bring Fab on in Extra time when there was a chance of penalties especially with his record of never missing in a competitive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Van Dijk's best moment of the game was his body slam of Paredes after he had taken out Ake and slammed the ball at the Dutch bench when they reacted.

Paredes was one of the midfielders that the club supposedly enquired about in the summer.

Wouldn't be at all sad to see the Argies dumped out in the next round.

Terrible sportsmanship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Maybe I’m in the minority but I just love sh*thousery like that! Really livens things up haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would classify shíthousery as things that go on during the game though. The pulling/dragging/chat/winding up etc.

Gleefully rubbing it in like that after a penalty shoot out victory is bit ott for me - plain bad sportsmanship in the highest degree for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Did you see the carry on of the Dutch players during the penalty shootout? Don't blame the Argentina players to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would love to see a wide view of the whole shoot out. Ref even booked and sent off Dumfries and booked another Dutch player but the camera quickly pulled away, or else I missed what happened. It all started with the Argie player driving the ball at the Dutch dugout in extra time I think. There were another few 'comings together' that were panned away from quickly and would make for good viewing I'm sure as it was hard to see who did what.

Edit Looking at a few clips in the world Cup Thread of 3 or 4 dutch players following Martinez out of the centre circle before the last penalty probably had a lot to do with it.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

The lad some said we should have signed instead of Nunez after Portugal's last game wasn't up to much today he was a complete ghost on the pitch.

Amrabat’s performance is what we used to expect from Fab. Hopefully Fab comes back rested and raring to go, but if the club think it is time to move him on, Amrabat looks like he could fit the bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement