Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Fieldog wrote: »
    Gini post euro's wearing an #FSGOUT handle on his twitter :D

Of course it's money, sure he left Barca in the mire for twice the cash, he has about 18 children so who could blame him ;)

He's got 4, but it was definitely about the cash. can't blame him , best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fromvert wrote: »
    I do watch all his goals from time to time. It's just belter after belter. I do miss having a guy who can smack in 30 yarders (although low percentage). I still think he was underrated despite all the praise he got.

I lost track counting, but it felt like there were more scored from outside the box than within it. The complete opposite of our goals these days. Ox, Trent and occasionally Thiago are about the only ones to shoot from distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I lost track counting, but it felt like there were more scored from outside the box than within it. The complete opposite of our goals these days. Ox, Trent and occasionally Thiago are about the only ones to shoot from distance.

You'd miss Lovren for his 40 yard efforts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like Can (although miles better!), I really appreciate the effort Gini but in to get us Top 4 before fecking off.

Speaks to his professionalism.

I really didn't want him to leave. The definition of a fixture in the team. We will miss him more than we expect I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A lot of it was probably Gerrard looking ahead and seeing the likes of Lambert, Balotelli, Carroll, Voronin, Borini, Diouf, N'gog, Baros etc. ahead of him at different times over the years and thinking having a go from 35 yards is the better play here :pac:. When he did have a good striker to play off he would go up a level again (Owen, Torres, Suarez) even a good solid player like Crouch he had a great chemistry with.

I wonder are managers/coaches drilling it into players to not shoot from range. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I remember more long range goals being scored when I was younger. And I love a good 30 yarder pinging off the bar and down or when you can hear the ball hit the net (with full stadiums). Nothing better than that split second after the ball is hit and you know it has a chance and you're half way off your seat just waiting for the net to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

A lot of it was probably Gerrard looking ahead and seeing the likes of Lambert, Balotelli, Carroll, Voronin, Borini, Diouf, N'gog, Baros etc. ahead of him at different times over the years and thinking having a go from 35 yards is the better play here :pac:. When he did have a good striker to play off he would go up a level again (Owen, Torres, Suarez) even a good solid player like Crouch he had a great chemistry with.

I wonder are managers/coaches drilling it into players to not shoot from range. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I remember more long range goals being scored when I was younger. And I love a good 30 yarder pinging off the bar and down or when you can hear the ball hit the net (with full stadiums). Nothing better than that split second after the ball is hit and you know it has a chance and you're half way off your seat just waiting for the net to move.

It's probably down to the analysis involved in the modern game where it is coached in to the players that statistically there is a lower probability of scoring from distance and better to keep possession and build up the attack.

It's only players who back themselves when they are in a position to shoot and ignore instructions these days that are willing to take the long range shot at the risk of conceding possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

VVD & Gomez are in Portugal training together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wonder if now's a good time to make a quick move for Gonçalves to really nail down the long term future of the attack? Might be gotten for a reasonable price. Could see him having a big impact off the bench for Portugal.

Could be a good long term partner for Jota as countrymen, and he should settle in quickly enough after spending a few years with Wolves.

Raw still, but has a serious ceiling, and clearly knows where the goal is.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wonder if now's a good time to make a quick move for Gonçalves to really nail down the long term future of the attack? Might be gotten for a reasonable price. Could see him having a big impact off the bench for Portugal.

Could be a good long term partner for Jota as countrymen, and he should settle in quickly enough after spending a few years with Wolves.

Raw still, but has a serious ceiling, and clearly knows where the goal is.

Go for a Portuguese double and sign Andre Silva as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

noodler wrote: »
    Like Can (although miles better!), I really appreciate the effort Gini but in to get us Top 4 before fecking off.

Speaks to his professionalism.

I really didn't want him to leave. The definition of a fixture in the team. We will miss him more than we expect I suspect.

Ah here, Can was a lazy fck, hate the idea that Gini would be compared in any way to Can. They are polar opposites. Gini put max effort in every time, unbelievable competitor, team mate, leader on the pitch. Can offered none of that.

Ah here, Can was a lazy fck, hate the idea that Gini would be compared in any way to Can. They are polar opposites. Gini put max effort in every time, unbelievable competitor, team mate, leader on the pitch. Can offered none of that.

Totally disagree on Can to be honest, and also the poster's point was that Can didn't drop his performance level at all despite being in the last year of his contract. The way both men handled things was first class - no big drama, no talking about where they were going until the season was done and dusted, and both players firmly and visibly left everything out on the pitch week in week out.

Can's simply not as good as Gini, but he still did things the right way, and worked hard (totally disagree that he was lazy).

Totally disagree on Can to be honest, and also the poster's point was that Can didn't drop his performance level at all despite being in the last year of his contract. The way both men handled things was first class - no big drama, no talking about where they were going until the season was done and dusted, and both players firmly and visibly left everything out on the pitch week in week out.

Can's simply not as good as Gini, but he still did things the right way, and worked hard (totally disagree that he was lazy).

I do agree that he didn't drop his level. I just never thought he reached anywhere near his potential and for me a lot of that was down to effort. He swanned around a bit, like the man. Maybe I'm being unfair on him. I just thought he could have been unbelievable with his technical ability and physique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I do watch all his goals from time to time. It's just belter after belter. I do miss having a guy who can smack in 30 yarders (although low percentage). I still think he was underrated despite all the praise he got.

Tbh the fact that there is even any debate about who was better between himself and Lampard just proves he was under rated. The way I think of it is would Lampard have as many goals etc if he were dropped into the liverpool teams Gerrard played in versus would Gerrard have as many goals etc if he were dropped into the Chelsea teams Lampard played in? For me the answer is Lampard wouldnt have had as many while Gerrard probably would have had way more.

Gerrard was a better passer, tackler, long distance shooter and so on. Personally I can't think of a single metric where Lampard was better than Gerrard and yet the debate still rages on years after their retirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Whatever you say about Can, his hair was fantastic.

I don't know about the rest of ye but VAR has completely ruined this moment for me. I cant remember the last time I celebrated a goal the moment it goes in...these days I usually wait at least a minute before celebrating as they continue to find more weird and wonderful ways of disallowing our goals. And even on a few occasions it turned out a minute wasn't long enough to wait..:(

I think it was Tim Vickery I heard saying that whatever your opinions on VAR are it has ended up taking away the most emotion filled moments of the sport we love and for that alone it needs to be improved quicksmart or just taken away..and I'm actually not against VAR per se, just against the current use of it which is horrendous. If they can't improve it they need to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think VAR has potential to improve the game enormously but the implementation has been horrific. You'd have to be deliberately trying to sabotage it they way they have gone about it.

In fairness the good calls don't get taken into account but I'd prefer it gone than them to continue without change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

gimli2112 wrote: »

His English was top notch as well. Much better than that of someone living in korea

I think VAR has potential to improve the game enormously but the implementation has been horrific. You'd have to be deliberately trying to sabotage it they way they have gone about it.

In fairness the good calls don't get taken into account but I'd prefer it gone than them to continue without change.

Totally... it's insane that the VAR rule-maker-people didn't sit down together at the outset and say; "Ok, what are the rules we have, what is the point of those rules as they currently exist, and how can we use technology to improve upon the situations those rules were implemented in the first place".

Instead, they just took a 100% literal approach to every rule, ignoring that technology fundamentally changes the point of some of those rules (like offside initially existing to stop someone gaining an unfair advantage in their positioning - an advantage big enough that you you had to be able to see it clearly - rather than simply having a toenail poking over a line).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Totally... it's insane that the VAR rule-maker-people didn't sit down together at the outset and say; "Ok, what are the rules we have, what is the point of those rules as they currently exist, and how can we use technology to improve upon the situations those rules were implemented in the first place".

Instead, they just took a 100% literal approach to every rule, ignoring that technology fundamentally changes the point of some of those rules (like offside initially existing to stop someone gaining an unfair advantage in their positioning - an advantage big enough that you you had to be able to see it clearly - rather than simply having a toenail poking over a line).

That was only the EPL though. Watch any other league or CL to see how well it works elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mormank wrote: »
    Tbh the fact that there is even any debate about who was better between himself and Lampard just proves he was under rated. The way I think of it is would Lampard have as many goals etc if he were dropped into the liverpool teams Gerrard played in versus would Gerrard have as many goals etc if he were dropped into the Chelsea teams Lampard played in? For me the answer is Lampard wouldnt have had as many while Gerrard probably would have had way more.

Gerrard was a better passer, tackler, long distance shooter and so on. Personally I can't think of a single metric where Lampard was better than Gerrard and yet the debate still rages on years after their retirements

Does it count if we use the metric of "keeping our cash rich competitors stagnant during Covid"?

It's being reported tonight that Coman has broken off contract extension talks with Munich I wonder would the club go for him.

Agreed. However we need a system that doesnt take minutes after a goal is scored. It's robbed us of that emotion you get when you score, or me at least, as even goals that were seemingly perfect to the naked eye like Mane's last minute "winner" against Everton earlier in the season or that Firmino "armpit" goal they have ruled them out.

I'm not saying it has to be prefect but they have to find a way to implement it that doesn't rob us of the ecstasy we often feel when we score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's being reported tonight that Coman has broken off contract extension talks with Munich I wonder would the club go for him.

For the wages he's looking for, an increase of about €8 million a year to €20 million, I'd imagine he would be on PSG's target list. Or maybe back to Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

mormank wrote: »
    Agreed. However we need a system that doesnt take minutes after a goal is scored. It's robbed us of that emotion you get when you score, or me at least, as even goals that were seemingly perfect to the naked eye like Mane's last minute "winner" against Everton earlier in the season or that Firmino "armpit" goal they have ruled them out.

I'm not saying it has to be prefect but they have to find a way to implement it that doesn't rob us of the ecstasy we often feel when we score.

The one that annoyed me most as a fan, and I'm far from a Leeds supporter, was Bamford being called offside for pointing where he wanted the ball. The most ridiculous call for me, from what I remember anyway. Though it was a long season...

• Advertisement

Fatter lines enable quicker decisions, the solution is quite simple.

Glico Man wrote: »
    The one that annoyed me most as a fan, and I'm far from a Leeds supporter, was Bamford being called offside for pointing where he wanted the ball. The most ridiculous call for me, from what I remember anyway. Though it was a long season...

There was another crazy one - can't remember who it was (Villa, West Ham or Burnley maybe? have that claret and blue shirt in my head) - where a player's heel had them a hair offside, while they were running the other direction.

Glico Man wrote: »

Yeah, great shout!

It basically boils down to what Rebel has been saying. They have taken too literal an approach which goes against the spirit of the rule which is about gaining an advantage as opposed to being 1 millimetre closer to the goal than the defender cos you wear size 10's and he only wears size 9's. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I do agree that he didn't drop his level. I just never thought he reached anywhere near his potential and for me a lot of that was down to effort. He swanned around a bit, like the man. Maybe I'm being unfair on him. I just thought he could have been unbelievable with his technical ability and physique.

You're not. I always thought he could have put more effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If he doesn't produce that worldy overhear at Vicarage Road, probably no champions League!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Burnley are trying to sign Nathan Collins from Stoke. Young Irish CB, who's dad was at Liverpool for a few years without playing.

That probably rules them out of signing Nat Philips. Unless Tarkowski leaves maybe and they need another CB in.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Fitz* wrote: »
    Burnley are trying to sign Nathan Collins from Stoke. Young Irish CB, who's dad was at Liverpool for a few years without playing.

That probably rules them out of signing Nat Philips. Unless Tarkowski leaves maybe and they need another CB in.

Burnley is a real graveyard for Irish players despite there being plenty of them there.

Dyche does what he has to do to stay in the EPL every year, route 1 football with little imagination, fair dues I suppose but would prefer if Irish players stayed away from Turf Moor.
    Pity some of these lads don't make the move overseas to the likes of the Bundesliga or Serie A.

I'd like to think Collins would be aiming higher, Burnley are a dead end outfit and he'll be conditioned to root it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

x43r0 wrote: »
    His English was top notch as well. Much better than that of someone living in korea

IUnderstoodThatReference.Jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Fitz* wrote: »

We won't or at least shouldn't be selling Philips this summer, a good dependable defender who won't moan if he's not playing. We have to at least wait and see how the injured lads return and Konate settles in before we even consider selling Philips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Girly Gal wrote: »
    We won't or at least shouldn't be selling Philips this summer, a good dependable defender who won't moan if he's not playing. We have to at least wait and see how the injured lads return and Konate settles in before we even consider selling Philips.
    I doubt we will see any of the defenders moving on this summer given how last season went. This summer is the last opportunity the club has to sell Grabara, Karius, Origi and Woodburn. Offloading some of the fringe players whose contracts expire in 2023 would be a bonus. I don't think Phillips will be one of them if there are concerns about how strong van Dijk, Gomez and Matip will be facing into the new season. Matip, Fabinho and Henderson were played despite the fact that they were carrying injuries and that compounded issues last season.

Contracts expiring in 2022:
    Grabara
    Karius
    Kelleher
    Milner
    Origi
    Woodburn

Contracts expiring in 2023:
    Awoniyi
    van Dijk
    Firmino
    Grujic
    Keita
    Mane
    Ojo
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Phillips
    Salah
    Shaqiri
    Wilson

Talisman wrote: »
    I doubt we will see any of the defenders moving on this summer given how last season went. This summer is the last opportunity the club has to sell Grabara, Karius, Origi and Woodburn. Offloading some of the fringe players whose contracts expire in 2023 would be a bonus. I don't think Phillips will be one of them if there are concerns about how strong van Dijk, Gomez and Matip will be facing into the new season. Matip, Fabinho and Henderson were played despite the fact that they were carrying injuries and that compounded issues last season.

Contracts expiring in 2022:
    Grabara
    Karius
    Kelleher
    Milner
    Origi
    Woodburn

Contracts expiring in 2023:
    Awoniyi
    van Dijk
    Firmino
    Grujic
    Keita
    Mane
    Ojo
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Phillips
    Salah
    Shaqiri
    Wilson

What year is Klopp's contract up?

dogbert27 wrote: »

Summer 2024 as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Thanks lads.

If I didn't know better it's like you have it circled already on future calendars!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Some facts about 2024

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024

Thanks lads.

If I didn't know better it's like you have it circled already on future calendars!! :pac:
    A death calendar of sorts: 1115 days to go. :eek:

https://www.wincalendar.com/Calendar/Date/June-30-2024

brevity wrote: »

Euro 2024 in Germany and Klopp takes over the National team after it?

He'd exile all of the Bayern players. :D

Maybe… though he’s repeatedly said he won’t work for a year after leaving Liverpool.

I’d say Flick will stay long-haul if things don’t go horribly wrong anyway, this is the job he’s geared his whole career towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

robwen wrote: »
    He may as well retire now, nobody has won the award three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Talisman wrote: »
    He may as well retire now, nobody has won the award three times.

4 season wonder Mo Salah, 8th wonder of the world...

Feck the pyramids

I see why we aren't in for Sancho now he will become the second highest paid player at Man U he would blow what Salah is on now out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would imagine we'll be looking to at least give Rhys Williams a loan opportunity.

We'll still have 5 senior CBs for 2 spots.

Worse comes to worst, we can recall Williams.

Fabinho would play ahead of him anyway, assuming we had a fit midfield.

Advertisement