Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I always love Rafa but I can't quite understand the amount of our fans who are indifferent to this. Personally I'm gutted.

I'm not from Liverpool but have been to enough games and know plenty of bitter Blues to have a dislike for Everton football club. Mental that some consider Chelsea bigger rivals than Everton.

This is on a scale of Michael Owen going to United for me.

For me anyway, my respect for the man, and my awareness that his life will become an awful lot better by finally being able to live and work with his family again far far outweighs any fairly arbitrary and nonsensical feelings I have towards another football team.

Does my life change in any meaningful way whatsoever by Rafa's decision to work for Everton? No. Does his? Yes, hugely, for the better. And I like him, so I'm happy he's happy. (if it all happens)

Rafa is a club legend. He can do what he wants in my book.

That includes being a secret agent at Everton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ikozma wrote: »
    It's probably because the majority on here have never been to liverpool

I have no idea what this even means! You mean the Liverpool where Rafa bought mini-bus for a local club because they couldn't afford it? The Liverpool where he and Montse paid for 80 disadvantaged local kids to be able to go on holidays? The Liverpool where he and his wife gives a lot of their time and money to all sorts of local charities like OLLY and Alder Hey? The Liverpool where he poured his heart and soul into the JFT96 campaign, and gave them 96,000 pounds? And of course the Liverpool where he brought the European Cup back to Anfield, followed swiftly by the FA Cup, and a title run to take us closer than we'd been in a decade?

Yeah, I'm sure if you're from that Liverpool you'd be turning on the man for taking a job to be close to his family alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Robbie fowler
    Jamie Carragher
    Michael Owen
    Steve McManaman
    Adam Lallana
    Ian Rush

All grew up Everton fans - anyone here ever cheer them on. I know i did many a time in Anfield
    Funny that. Cheering or supporting a Blue
    Wonder what the toffees think of getting rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

He loves the club so much he goes and manages our biggest rival, please don't make me laugh, traitor comes to my mind, hope he fails miserably

You should consider have a **** before you write your posts here. It might help to dissipate some of that anger/rage that seems to consume you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Unfortunately in a democratic and free society people are entitled to have opinions.

The Richard Keys / Andy Gray clip on the Everton thread is both hilarious and relevant, maybe Big Sam can come back and save them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I loved rafa, not anymore I'm affraid, utterly shocked that he's even considering going there to our biggest rival and neighbour that he once called a little club, money grabbing******* is all he is now, once a legendary figure but not anymore, I hopped one day he'd come back to us but he should never be let in the door again if he goes ahead with this

If you loved Rafa like you say you did then you would show compassion for the man who spent most of last year away from his wife and children in China due to the pandemic and be understanding that he would now want a job to be as close to them as possible.

Some things are bigger than football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dav010 wrote: »
    They have a pretty good squad, with the right replacement for Carlo and a couple of players, they could be very competitive.

In the conference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It'll be an uphill task for Rafa, a bit like when he took the Chelsea job, he's already on the back foot with the fans due to his liverpool connections, if he gets off to a poor start it could go wrong very quickly. I think it would be a good appointment for Everton they'd be getting a good manager who'll bring stability to the club, it'll take much longer for him to get the full support of the fans ( probably never fully get it) and will be given less time to succeed. A tough task for him, it'll be interesting to see how it goes, hope it goes well for him, but, obviously not too well against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly Rafa to Everton...
    I wish him the best in every fixture except the Derby.
    The man has a place in club history, but more than that.
    He and his family adopted the city, have done huge work in charity and philanthropy and the city has adopted them in return.
    Rafa is Scouse, so is his Family and after all he gave the club and the city?
    If the opportunity for him to move "Home" to be with his family and work locally?
    Well...
    I'd much rather it was at Tranmere ;) but more power to him as much success as he can have there without impacting on LFC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I love Rafa and wish him all the best

Actually glad now Everton broke there hudo against us because would have been harder to take if Rafa was the man to get there first win against us,

Derby will be weird but Rafa is a great man and i wish him & his family all the best

He is part of our history and should always be honoured and respected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seeing people giving Rafa their "blessing" to take over at Everton the last 24 hours on social media is so strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I wouldn't begrudge Rafa taking the Everton job, I would find it interesting to see how he lines up against us and whether there is an element of parking the bus. Remember him being disappointed with Moyes when he did it, would make it interesting to see how that turns out.

I don't know if his style of play would elevate them, but he took an average Newcastle team to mid table so it would be interesting to see how he does with better players. Good luck to him, I had no problem with Nick Barmby joining us from Everton so how can I have a problem with Rafa going to them so many years after leaving us? Let us not forget a lot of fans wanted rid of him as well, cannot see how you can now be upset if he joins a rival.

If Klopp would go to Everton when there is little calls for us to get rid of him I would be livid. But Rafa cannot manage us now, so who are we to tell him which jobs he can and cannot take?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Have alot of respect for Rafa, but the game has changed in the last 10 years, which dare I say is the last time he could be considered a top quality coach.

Not the popular thing to say to a Liverpool supporter, but I'd see him more as a safe pair of hands kind of coach these days, I don't see him taking Everton further up the table.

He will be limited in who he can attract to Everton aswell, all well and good having money to spend, but being Everton manager the last few years is akin to a mid level lotto winner only being allowed spend it in Dealz.

They need a hungry young coach who will sign and make some new stars, Rafa despite the romanticism on here is not that man.

Actually agree with this, although not sure Everton are looking for a "safe pair of hands", despite the laughs at them in here they do actually have some ambition and their willingness to spend reflects this.

Rafa's family staying on merseyside, his charity work, how he was fecked over by Hicks and Gillett really have no bearing on whether he has still got it as a manager.

Mourinho has shown that his methods are outdated in the modern game and I actually think Rafa's style is a similar vein to be honest. Its almost blasphemous to say on a Liverpool forum, but his style of play today would be described as pretty putrid, all about organisation, efficiency without the ball etc.. Arrigo Sachi disciple and all that.

Modern game is all about what you do with the ball nowadays, being more expansive, take risks to win on and possibly lose rather than 2 draws kinda thing.

It won't end well for Rafa at Everton. And people should never worry about the guy, he does have a bit of ego to him, hes a guy that actually would have the neck to take the job so it wouldn't surprise me but it would 100% end up with him being sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It would honestly also be worth Rafa getting the Everton job just to watch more of the Richard Keys meltdowns and fume. His hatred of Rafa is just so funny to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Actually agree with this, although not sure Everton are looking for a "safe pair of hands", despite the laughs at them in here they do actually have some ambition and their willingness to spend reflects this.

Rafa's family staying on merseyside, his charity work, how he was fecked over by Hicks and Gillett really have no bearing on whether he has still got it as a manager.

Mourinho has shown that his methods are outdated in the modern game and I actually think Rafa's style is a similar vein to be honest. Its almost blasphemous to say on a Liverpool forum, but his style of play today would be described as pretty putrid, all about organisation, efficiency without the ball etc.. Arrigo Sachi disciple and all that.

Modern game is all about what you do with the ball nowadays, being more expansive, take risks to win on and possibly lose rather than 2 draws kinda thing.

It won't end well for Rafa at Everton. And people should never worry about the guy, he does have a bit of ego to him, hes a guy that actually would have the neck to take the job so it wouldn't surprise me but it would 100% end up with him being sacked.

Coaching and the game has only moved on at the elite clubs - i wouldn't call Anchellotti a dinosaur but he played horrible stoneage football with Everton that was eventually found out. Now he's gone back to Madrid!

Pep/Klopp are leading the way, Flick off Bayern, Poch at PSG and the 2 Spanish clubs play attractive attacking football.

Athletico are the exception to the rule in that they won the League recently playing negative style football.

I agree though, Rafa much like Jose will NOT be overthrowing the league giants as that type of attritional football will likely never win a league for a long time.

Thankfully ... we will at the very least have a manager that has the courage to play football the way it was intended. All he needs is a squad capable of counting a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

AdrianG08 wrote: »

People thought he was crazy to take the Chelsea job and he would fail. Won the Europa League for them, although the fans took that for granted.

Then when he took the Newcastle job people thought he would leave after they were relegated because it wouldn't end well and his methods wouldn't translate to the Championship. He won it and took them straight back up.

Then after gaining promotion and having a -£30m net spend the previous season (they sold their best players, including Gini) he got £20m to build the squad for the PL. He finished 10th with that squad. The next season he got nothing to spend again and finished 13th.

Bruce comes in to take over and gets £30m net to spend and he finishes, 13th. But people are worried about Rafa and his methods?

He will be fine. Yes his teams are organised, but that is how you get results. We were top scorers in 08-09 and United had Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov in their team. They also finished runners up in the CL, so not bad going for a "putrid" playing style.

The problem with Benitez is that he takes jobs where he will not be loved. He wasn't loved in Madrid, Chelsea and now Everton. This will mean his missteps will be amplified and his success downplayed. Doesn't change the fact he is still a very good manager who is more likely to take that team to a better finish than what Ancelotti managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A few too many draws but I don't remember Rafa football overly negative. We absolutely destroyed some teams, his best league season was 08/09 and we scored the most goals in the league. He had to work with some really poor players at Liverpool but always got a tune out of the best ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

giphy.gif

I smile because I love Rafa.

But inside I am not smiling. Hate those c*nts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Enzokk wrote: »
    People thought he was crazy to take the Chelsea job and he would fail. Won the Europa League for them, although the fans took that for granted.

IIRC, he was the first man to win the EL as manager, and also secure top 4 in the PL in the same season. These days, it's always talk of concentrating on one or the other and that competing for both is not possible. OGS, Arteta, Emery, Mourinho, and even Klopp have all failed in that particular mission. Sarri then replicated it. Maybe it's a Chelsea thing.

You have to admire the faith he has in his ability and the fact he doesn't care what people think. I genuinely believe taking on the Chelsea job was a ballsier move than this. Chelsea hated us for raining on their parade in 2005. Their fans never the paragons of virtue at the best of times were never going to accept him. Did he give a ****? Hell no he just strode on in there did his job and strolled on out.

I nearly admire him more for what he achieved after Liverpool than with us.

I do think as far as he is concerned there's only one way of doing things and that's Rafa's way. I wouldn't say he's intimidated by anyone. I saw Tuchel making a comment he hadn't spoken to the Russian in his first few months at Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa had never spoken with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

As someone born and raised in ireland, I have no quibble with Everton. Grew up with Man U brothers and friends, now there is a team a I love to see wallow in mediocrity :)

I remember I was on the bus from Crosby to Anfield and said to the bus driver give me a shout when we get to Anfield, cue when we get close to Anfield the driver comes on the PA "We are coming up to the pitch, we are coming up to the pitch"

Them lads are bitter as lemon's over there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I loved rafa, not anymore I'm affraid, utterly shocked that he's even considering going there to our biggest rival and neighbour that he once called a little club, money grabbing******* is all he is now, once a legendary figure but not anymore, I hopped one day he'd come back to us but he should never be let in the door again if he goes ahead with this

11 years in this forum and this might just be the stupidest take I've seen; and that would be letting an awful lot of sh1t takes off the hook

Rafa has built up a serious bank of goodwill from me. It would take a lot more than managing Everton to run that down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not from Liverpool, so I can respect but not fully inherit the true rivarly. Glad he has a job, as I like Rafa, but personally... A little disappointed he took it. It's just not a thing you do, in my opinion.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I see rumours of Ramos possibly to UTD. That would add a bit of spice to an already intense rivalry. Anfield would be great craic when he's on the pitch in a UTD shirt.

Personally I don't believe Utd signing Ramos will make us hate them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Personally I don't believe Utd signing Ramos will make us hate them more.

I'll take that bet....not that I'd need much of an excuse. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ramos (35) & Ronnie (36) linked to them that a nice retirement contract payday for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ramos (35) & Ronnie (36) linked to them that a nice retirement contract payday for them.

With Schweinsteiger going there recently and Cavani as well it really is turning into a retirement home for players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Rivalries quicken the nerve and sharpen the edge. They should not transcend the sport, then you're getting into ridiculous territory of fighting political and social issues through the sport. Like Celtic and Rangers. I'm very happy Rafa can live with his family in a city he loves that he has given a lot to.

With Schweinsteiger going there recently and Cavani as well it really is turning into a retirement home for players

Like Chelsea back in the day & one out of 10 works out well ,

Like Chelsea back in the day & one out of 10 works out well ,

Ferguson brought in some very successful players in the latter stages of their careers, Henrik Larsson, Michael Owen, Laurent Blanc, Edwin Van der Sar, more recently Zlatan was brilliant. It would be hard to argue that Ronaldo and Ramos would not improve the MU team. BS was a strange one, he was injured a lot and was showing obvious signs of decline before he left Munich, it smacked of a desperation signing of a big name.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ferguson brought in some very successful players in the latter stages of their careers, Henrik Larsson, Michael Owen, Laurent Blanc, Edwin Van der Sar, more recently Zlatan was brilliant. It would be hard to argue that Ronaldo and Ramos would not improve the MU team. BS was a strange one, he was injured a lot and was showing obvious signs of decline before he left Munich, it smacked of a desperation signing of a big name.

Where to start

Blanc was terrible at United ,
    Larsson played 7 league games with 1 goal
    Owen only scored 2 & 3 league goals in two season just one happened to be thew winner against City ,

EVS was great but a old keeper is different ,
    Ibra was great

• Advertisement

This is the one player Klopp needs to use all his ties to BVB for.

https://twitter.com/Miskiiii_/status/1405209441151205386?s=20

https://twitter.com/BeWarmers/status/1405529829970104325?s=20

Continuation of what I posted earlier... :D

£35m seems to be the price he would cost.

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1405584978080153603?s=20

Daka seems to be off to Leicester so that's one name we can strike off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was a massive fan of Gini Wijnaldum during his time at Anfield but the more I see of him playing for Dutch Im really disappointed both parties couldn't come to an agreement for a new contract.

Looks to be playing like a box to box mf tonight and doing a fine good job of it too.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was a massive fan of Gini Wijnaldum during his time at Anfield but the more I see of him playing for Dutch Im really disappointed both parties couldn't come to an agreement for a new contract.

Looks to be playing like a box to box mf tonight and doing a fine good job of it too.

Yeah certainly looking good tonight. Seems to have found a large reserve of energy! Just shows how much he sacrificed from his natural game while playing for Liverpool. It was a successful period while he did that so it's hard argue to say he should have played his Dutch role for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I don't know if it's true but his after tax at psg is reported to be 165k per week. To get that in the UK means well over 260k per week. We're not in that league at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Fitz* wrote: »
    Daka seems to be off to Leicester so that's one name we can strike off the list.

No need for Daka. Probably knows Mbappe is on way too.

I don't know if it's true but his after tax at psg is reported to be 165k per week. To get that in the UK means well over 260k per week. We're not in that league at the moment.

We can only speculate about negotiations but he'd probably of been happy with something in the range of the top earners at Liverpool to stay and there's also that extra year.

All we can do is hope it's the right decision by the club and management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

We can only speculate about negotiations but he'd probably of been happy with something in the range of the top earners at Liverpool to stay and there's also that extra year.

All we can do is hope it's the right decision by the club and management.

I see Larouci is leaving also.

mosstin wrote: »
    I see Larouci is leaving also.

I won't be able to sleep tonight now...

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

£35m seems to be the price he would cost.

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1405584978080153603?s=20

I read that as ‘due to many injuries the player is an option for liverpool’

I haven’t woken up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

*Reeling in the years by Steely Dan plays*
    556234.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Try being an LFC boards member between 2009 and 2015. Those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I read that as ‘due to many injuries the player is an option for liverpool’

I haven’t woken up yet

So did I, thought to myself he'll fit right in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement